Page 27 of 65 FirstFirst ... 217181920212223242526272829303132333435363752 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Playing as Pahlava - achieved the reforms about 213 BC (definitely before 211 BC). I took it nice and slowly and the reforms occurred having taken 4 Seleucid provinces but not all 4 listed in the manual. I converted my capitol Nisaya into a settlement but could not build beyond Border Marches govt building with 33% EI. The manual and building browser indicate that a Royal Satrapy should be possible with 30% EI [noting the BB entry I checked was from Khwarazm - it wasn't available in the BB through Nisaya] - is Nisaya lacking a hidden resource? FWIW the population was just over 12K but the "City" was still at basic stone walls and it looks like the Pastoral development of the region was "Large Pastoral Region". I was able to build a Royal Satrapy in Khwarazm with 30% EI so that bit seems correct.
    Also: I was able to build a "New Home" in Sakanu Agu but no further tiers - perhaps I'm waiting for a Migration .
    Regards
    P.

Quote Originally Posted by Porphyrogenita View Post
    Playing as Pahlava - achieved the reforms about 213 BC (definitely before 211 BC). I took it nice and slowly and the reforms occurred having taken 4 Seleucid provinces but not all 4 listed in the manual. I converted my capitol Nisaya into a settlement but could not build beyond Border Marches govt building with 33% EI. The manual and building browser indicate that a Royal Satrapy should be possible with 30% EI [noting the BB entry I checked was from Khwarazm - it wasn't available in the BB through Nisaya] - is Nisaya lacking a hidden resource? FWIW the population was just over 12K but the "City" was still at basic stone walls and it looks like the Pastoral development of the region was "Large Pastoral Region". I was able to build a Royal Satrapy in Khwarazm with 30% EI so that bit seems correct.
    Nisaya isn't a royal_core province, so doesn't qualify for a Royal Satrapy. Nor is it satrapy, so doesn't qualify for a Satrapy either. You're actually better off not converting it, and later upgrading to a Settled Nomadic Territory.

Also: I was able to build a "New Home" in Sakanu Agu but no further tiers - perhaps I'm waiting for a Migration .
    Regards
    P.
    Correct, no upgrade to an enclave until there are people migrating to fill it.

I feel like the Celtiberians should be reclassified as hard due to the rather intense situation that happened before the 100-turn mark happened in my playthough.

1. The various rebel stacks seem to wait for you to get your guard down and besiege your settlements. I loved that.

2. Once you have an invading army setting foot in the rebel teritory. I've noticed that the rebel settlements like Illertia, Mastia and Emporion are fully aggressive in recruiting to the point that the settlement had to send a few units out due to being so full.

2. Once I've neighbored with the Lusotanans. They menacingly park two full stacks of units near the edge of Kontebria. I had to send strengthen that garrison as much as I can without losing any income and sent a single general to idle between the road to Kontebria so they won't get any ideas. It lasts until once I've committed a full stack army to besiege Emperion, they suddenly attacked the single lone general and I had to fend of two full strength stacks with only a garrison that barely reaches half of their armies.

Hi,

how does the trait CelticNoble work? I've been playing the Boii for quite some time now and haven't seen any of its level on my family members.

Thanks for the answer!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Tactics Mayers View Post
    I feel like the Celtiberians should be reclassified as hard
    I actually feel that the descriptions of the factions' difficulties don't describe the current situation particularly well. Eg. Hayastan seems to me to be easy or normal while it's described, iirc, nigh-impossible. I think it's a leftover from the EBI, isn't? Are there any plans to adjust it?
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; February 01, 2019 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I actually feel that the descriptions of the factions' difficulties don't describe the current situation particularly well. Eg. Hayastan seems to me to be easy or normal while it's described, iirc, nigh-impossible. I think it's a leftover from the EBI, isn't? Are there any plans to adjust it?
    The difficulty descriptions of the 20 factions featured in EB I are not updated yet, correct.
    And about Hayasdan in particular - it got a rather easy start sometime during the 2.08 evolution when Karkathiokerta became Shamushat and the second Hai starting province.

I'm currently in my first 2.35 Hai campaign and the newly introduced economics mean it's even easier nowadays - as soon as you own Armavir, Shamushat, Kutatisi, Trapezous, Ani-Kamah, Kabalaka and Ganzak you are swimming in cash. I have - besides significant garrissons - 2 armies (3/4 stacks), the royal one even including cataphracts and the fabulous Dranik Gund elites ... and I still make a couple thousand mnai of profit.

Hayastan should be "medium" difficulty at best now. - Although it gets potentially harder (much harder!) once your neighbours have consolidated their realms. Past turn 100 you are in for some rather nasty Pahlavan/Pontic/Bosphoran/Nabataean invasions if you can't secure some alliances.

The Hai have, however, potentially one of the three easiest starts in EB II (Carthage and Getai being a close 2nd and third - unless their starting situation changed much since 2.3.):

no debt,
    plenty of ways to make your income go through the roof,
    no initial war,
    no huge rebel stacks threatening your settlements,
    great units (I absolutely love the new regional units, especially the Colchian Hoplites ).

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowwalker View Post
    Hayastan should be "medium" difficulty at best now. - Although it gets potentially harder (much harder!) once your neighbours have consolidated their realms. Past turn 100 you are in for some rather nasty Pahlavan/Pontic/Bosphoran/Nabataean invasions if you can't secure some alliances.

The Hai have, however, potentially one of the three easiest starts in EB II (Carthage and Getai being a close 2nd and third - unless their starting situation changed much since 2.3.)
    I'd also add Ptolemaioi and Romans to this group of easy factions.
    I also find the Nabateans as expanding enormously in every game. I wonder if the team is going to do something about it? That's pretty unhistorical, I think.
    What do you think, Shadowwalker, about the mines in Hayasdan? it gives a lot of money and makes this "no debt" situation.

I'd also add Ptolemaioi to this group of easy factions.
    I wouldn't say that. They start with massive debt and a powerful enemy.

The late game will be a grind if you don't blitz the Seleucids, which I didn't. I had to fight and defeat 20-30ish well made stacks to get them to sign a truce. Worse still, no matter what I did, they just kept getting new armies. Even though I won every battle and inflicted massive casulties to them, they still outnumbered me 2 to 1 in the field by the time truce was signed. If I don't see any Kataphraktoi ever again, it will be too soon!

I was too scared to do a full recon on the Carthaginians, but what intel I do have of their forces suggests that they are the equal to the Seleucids. Luckily, the desert has helped me keep them at bay, and wars against Rome and the Celtiberians have prevented them in bringing their full might crashing into my left flank.

In the north, there is Pontus. I fought a small war against them and I have yet to see what they can bring to the table. They did do quite a lot of damage to Armenia, though.

The Greeks and the Nabateans will betray the player, it's only a matter of time.

Rome is Rome, fighting them is always interesting. They're overcommitted EVERYWHERE else though, so the wars we fight are quite short.

I will say this. The Ptolemaioi campaign (VH cai, H bai) is definitively not impossible, but it's not a walk in the park either. Any way, it's one hell of a ride and I am loving every minute of it!

Edit: Almost forgot about Saba. Even though bringing troops into the Arabian peninsula is a chore, it pays off. The sand people run away so quickly!
    Last edited by Rad; February 01, 2019 at 12:58 PM.

Cohors_Evocata's Avatar Centenarius

I had plans to revamp the faction difficulty screen a few months ago, but then I went AWOL and nothing came of it. But I think there's a separate thread on here I'd like to revive to get some feedback on how difficult people think the various factions are.

EDIT: And then I found it.
    Last edited by Cohors_Evocata; February 01, 2019 at 01:55 PM.
    I tend to edit my posts once or several times after writing and uploading them. Please keep this in mind when reading a recent post of mine. Also, should someone, for some unimaginable reason, wish to rep me, please add your username in the process, so I can at least know whom to be grateful towards.

My thanks in advance.

Very much enjoying 2.35 - not a single crash 150 turns into a Pergamon game. I may be missing something, but I'm not yet able to build ships more powerful than the Raiding fleet - what do I need to be able to do this? (I have formed the Attalid kingdom)

Is there no way the reset your successor? I can't pick a new heir nor find a way to select one since I forgot about the new system and the original heir died with the ancillary

Quote Originally Posted by Astroclassicist View Post
    Very much enjoying 2.35 - not a single crash 150 turns into a Pergamon game. I may be missing something, but I'm not yet able to build ships more powerful than the Raiding fleet - what do I need to be able to do this? (I have formed the Attalid kingdom)
    Own a place that lets you do that - Byzantion, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroclassicist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivir Baggins View Post
    Own a place that lets you do that - Byzantion, for example.
    As above, you can't build the bigger fleets anywhere, but only in specific places. That's by design, only those places historically noted for having all the right prerequisites (such as access to naval stores and good timber) go above Raiding Fleets.

Quote Originally Posted by Haze88 View Post
    Is there no way the reset your successor? I can't pick a new heir nor find a way to select one since I forgot about the new system and the original heir died with the ancillary
    I think the system is supposed to reset itself, but I don't know if the "default" system in 2.35 interferes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Nisaya isn't a royal_core province, so doesn't qualify for a Royal Satrapy. Nor is it satrapy, so doesn't qualify for a Satrapy either. You're actually better off not converting it, and later upgrading to a Settled Nomadic Territory.

Correct, no upgrade to an enclave until there are people migrating to fill it.
    Thanks QS: can the Pahlava still build a road in Nisaya with a Settled Nomadic Territory?

I think the system is supposed to reset itself, but I don't know if the "default" system in 2.35 interferes with it.
    Is there a way to re-add it? I don't want the Royal line to lose leadership in the 3rd generation

Thanks QS: can the Pahlava still build a road in Nisaya with a Settled Nomadic Territory?
    I don't think you can build roads unless it has been converted.

Quote Originally Posted by Haze88 View Post
    Is there a way to re-add it? I don't want the Royal line to lose leadership in the 3rd generation
    Click on a character who is outside a settlement. In the console, enter:

Code:
    give_ancillary this Potential_Successor

Does this mean that no region that starts with a camp will ever get roads (unless it starts with roads?), unless the player captures it and is a camp converting faction? As I understand it, only humans players can convert camps and without the conversion the road can't be built. Will this result in some ahistorical holes in some region's road networks over the course of the game? Perhaps even large camps could use the road hidden trait to build tier one roads in selected locations. Unencumbered by a lack of any historical evidence whatsoever, I feel that the road network in Nisaya (and possibly other places) might have reached this level in our timeframe.

Hey all
    Few questions:

Had a Pahlava Campaign. Hekatompylos had a "Shrine of the eternal flame"(Something along those lines). I sacked the City, now it's gone. Is that working as intended?

Are there plans to add more Indian Reform-Units?

Is the recruiment-viewer up to date?

Are there some Units that could maybe be added to the "Foreign Military Settlers colony", I.e. be .are potentially available farther away? I specifically mean the kolchioi Hoplites nd other one-region units. I feel sad not being able to use them properly, since after a certain rate/scope of expansion is reached, it becomes too tedious to retrain them.

Is it possible to make them replenishable in more regions than one?
    (Not necessarily recruitable, just replenishable)
    Thanks a bunch

And I love this Mod. You have expanded my interest in ancient History a thousand times.
    I now feel more knowledgeable in general.

Thank you, from Germany.

Does this mean that no region that starts with a camp will ever get roads (unless it starts with roads?), unless the player captures it and is a camp converting faction? As I understand it, only humans players can convert camps and without the conversion the road can't be built. Will this result in some ahistorical holes in some region's road networks over the course of the game? Perhaps even large camps could use the road hidden trait to build tier one roads in selected locations. Unencumbered by a lack of any historical evidence whatsoever, I feel that the road network in Nisaya (and possibly other places) might have reached this level in our timeframe.
    The first tier of road is supposed to be available anywhere - but the "city" tag on it might stop it being build-able in pastoral regions.

Quote Originally Posted by Domeric_Bolton View Post
    Hey all
    Few questions:

Had a Pahlava Campaign. Hekatompylos had a "Shrine of the eternal flame"(Something along those lines). I sacked the City, now it's gone. Is that working as intended?
    No, it's supposed to be indestructible, fixed in the coming patch.

Are there plans to add more Indian Reform-Units?
    Yes, there'll be an Indo-Sakan cavalry unit. Not sure beyond that.

Is the recruiment-viewer up to date?
    No, it reads a set of files we didn't update with 2.35. Basically, the Java script needs updating to read the correct set of files, though there is a patch floating around, I think.

Are there some Units that could maybe be added to the "Foreign Military Settlers colony", I.e. be .are potentially available farther away? I specifically mean the kolchioi Hoplites nd other one-region units. I feel sad not being able to use them properly, since after a certain rate/scope of expansion is reached, it becomes too tedious to retrain them.

Is it possible to make them replenishable in more regions than one?
    (Not necessarily recruitable, just replenishable)
    Thanks a bunch

And I love this Mod. You have expanded my interest in ancient History a thousand times.
    I now feel more knowledgeable in general.

Thank you, from Germany.
    The Foreign Colony has been completely rewritten in the patch, but it only features full recruitment pools. The Colchians are a regional-only unit in the new formulation, they only come from Egrisi.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; February 03, 2019 at 07:18 AM.

As above, you can't build the bigger fleets anywhere, but only in specific places. That's by design, only those places historically noted for having all the right prerequisites (such as access to naval stores and good timber) go above Raiding Fleets.
    Pergamon should probably have access to the more advanced ships then. It is clear from early on the Attalids were interested in securing the timber and pitch of Mt Ida e.g. the early foundation of the garrison of Philetaireia, and the new inscription from Antandros, most likely from the early 230s is further evidence of early Attalid garrisoning and control of this territory and city, repeatedly noted in earlier histories as a good place for shipbuilding) - as John Ma says in his chapter in Attalid Asia Minor ed. Thonemann, pp.61-62
    A second issue is the size of the Attalid fleet: 35 tetreres sailed to Greece in 209; 20 did the same in the Third Macedonian war, and the convoy of Galatian cavalry destroyed by the Macedonians counted 35horse-transports. At Chios, in 201, the joint fleet of the Rhodians and Attalids counted 65 big ships; the Attalid ships had towers, and in fact Attalos I aligned more kataphract ships than Philip V.46 Though the Bithynian fleet is said to have defeated the Attalid (in the war of 184–182) thanks to Hannibal’s trick of scorpion- and snake-filled jars used as projectiles during the naval battle, during the war of 156–154, the last phase of the war, a fleet of 80 ships ravaged coastal cities allied to Bithynia—27 Attalid, the rest allies. The fleet seems very respectable, throughout the history of the dynasty, from 209 to 155 (and 148); its remnants fought (unsuccessfully) for Aristonikos/Eumenes III.The number of ships is not huge, but is made up of large, top of the range, heavily equipped units: this tendency is characteristic of the Hellenistic east, and the Attalid fleet is in fact in the same range as the Rhodian fleet (which never counted more than about 40 heavy ships of the line). The ongoing excavation and survey work at Elaia shows, early on, substantial investment in the main harbour of Pergamon —a sign of how important the fleet was for the Attalid state—as a means for strategic projection of force, both to tip the balance in local wars (as when Eumenes tried to blockade the Hellespont against Pharnakes of Pontos),and to participate in ‘high diplomacy’ wars abroad (as in the repeated participation in wars in Greece on the side of Rome). In other words, the small size of the land army was balanced by the investment in as large and powerful a fleet as the Attalids could afford, as an important resource to play the great game of high politics which characterizes their military history