Page 21 of 65 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Quote Originally Posted by Maroslav View Post
    Thank you for replies. i don't understand why the Celtic factions have so much hard time to expand. Especially Bois were always underdogs, except one game, where they succesfully expanded and became somewhat superpower. If an AI was capable of using horde movement tactics with their armies while settled in a sieging attacks, that would be cool. because Horde always stick their armies together. They seem to do that,i am not saying they don't, but in most cases their second army isn't properly positioned and thus not taken into acount. Similar thing is, when defending AI place a big stack near a city, but not enough and then attack with garrisons.
    Saw the same that you report in a 205 Pontus campaign. Still it didn't bother my at all. The factions that didn't expand even one settlement were the Boii and the Celtiberian. In a way, it is good, because the small peoples/tribes do not grow out of their historical places (still the Sweboz and Lugians were expanding quite good and later even the Getai), while the big powers of the time (Roma, Makedonia, Carthage, Ptolemeis, Seleucids, Epeiros, etc) were expanding quite well. Carthage and Rome even went to war for Rhegion and Carthage lost, turning to the Iberian Peninsula which is very nice.

A part from that, you, the player, will be the real one changing things because where you start your campaign will influence the game world, when you conquer a rebel settlement it will be one less rebel for the AI to deal and will promote more agressive movements from the AI factions towards the rebels and you, which is quite good.

Another thing, I don't know much about it but if the team creates a rebel type faction reserved for scripting purposes and if that faction gets a lot of the current rebel settlements, the AI factions behaviour will probably improve because they will see the rebel faction as a smaller one and weaker.

AI seems to experience a lot of trouble taking certain cities with good generals and highly experienced troops, as they often attack with captains. I think the rebels retrain or have most casualties replenished after battles too, resulting in them only getting more powerful, with the only chance for AI to properly take certain cities is when the governor dies of old age and is not replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by nvm View Post
    AI seems to experience a lot of trouble taking certain cities with good generals and highly experienced troops, as they often attack with captains. I think the rebels retrain or have most casualties replenished after battles too, resulting in them only getting more powerful, with the only chance for AI to properly take certain cities is when the governor dies of old age and is not replaced.
    I think the general level of refresh for the Rebels could do with being shaved (in addition to reducing it still further for elites), more likely they'll get to recruiting the lower tier units that way, rather than being able to fill up on elites.

Playing as the Gippos - I am still able to recruit Hypaspistai after the Thorakitai reforms.
    The Hippakontistai and Hippeis are gone, the Thorakitai and the other new units are now available. Is that intended? I thought that only Makedonia retains the Hypaspistai after the reforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Playing as the Gippos - I am still able to recruit Hypaspistai after the Thorakitai reforms.
    The Hippakontistai and Hippeis are gone, the Thorakitai and the other new units are now available. Is that intended? I thought that only Makedonia retains the Hypaspistai after the reforms.
    Yes - look at their revised refresh rate after the reform.

Good to know. You should revise the Thorakitai reform event message, though. It's a bit misleading.

Edit: 100 turns refresh rate? Nice.
    Last edited by Rad; January 06, 2019 at 10:42 AM.

Playing as the Gippos
    We prefer the term Graeco-Egyptians.

Just kidding...whenever I see the term, I remember HBO's Rome. "Bloody good orders, too."

That's the stuff!

Good to know. You should revise the Thorakitai reform event message, though. It's a bit misleading.

Edit: 100 turns refresh rate? Nice.
    I'd call a 100-turn refresh rate as good as disappeared.

A bit misleading

At least it allows you to keep one unit of them around, provided you don't overuse it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    At least it allows you to keep one unit of them around, provided you don't overuse it.
    Indeed, a refresh that low is only useful for the occasional retrain.

Why do the tarantinoi cavalry (from Taras) disappear after the Marian reform? I mean if you are epirus or macedon and control the south of italy, i don't see how rome reforming their army should affect the availability of the tarantines, at least for hellenistic factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    Why do the tarantinoi cavalry (from Taras) disappear after the Marian reform? I mean if you are epirus or macedon and control the south of italy, i don't see how rome reforming their army should affect the availability of the tarantines, at least for hellenistic factions.
    The Romans are the regional power strongly influencing military traditions in the region. Italic traditions were waning even at the start of our period as other peoples in Italy began to imitate the Roman model. So for the same reason everyone adjusts in the Polybian era (which is when most Italic units go anyway), so that trend continues in the Marian era.

I thought I'd made the Marian reforms conditional on the existence of the Romans, but turns out I'd forgotten to add it to the Roman fallback (though given it triggers on their turn, I don't think the have a turn if they're dead).

In my Gallic campaign using the toggle_fow and the perfect spy script noticed that the AI Pritanoi cannot recruit their chariots in any of their settlements. Is it by design (~ turn 180)? I didn't noticed if they could recruit them at the start of the game but aren't they supposed to be using chariots by the time of the Roman invasions?

Quote Originally Posted by LusitanianWolf View Post
    In my Gallic campaign using the toggle_fow and the perfect spy script noticed that the AI Pritanoi cannot recruit their chariots in any of their settlements. Is it by design (~ turn 180)? I didn't noticed if they could recruit them at the start of the game but aren't they supposed to be using chariots by the time of the Roman invasions?
    Recruitable in their top-tier government, and in Rebel governments and higher Allied Governments.

Regarding the Pontic Reforms requirements.

If an enemy hellenic general besieges my settlements and I strike first using the besieged army and win, does that add to the battle requirements or does only count field battles?

Quote Originally Posted by Tactics Mayers View Post
    Regarding the Pontic Reforms requirements.

If an enemy hellenic general besieges my settlements and I strike first using the besieged army and win, does that add to the battle requirements or does only count field battles?
    Did you fight it on the battlemap or autocalc?

The only enemies who count are Seleukids, Ptolemaioi, Pergamon and Bosporans.

I hope defensive sieges count too, like the one after taking Sinope. Oh, what about situations where enemy general (not captain) or the unit limit conditions are fulfilled only via reinforcements?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Did you fight it on the battlemap or autocalc?

The only enemies who count are Seleukids, Ptolemaioi, Pergamon and Bosporans.
    Battlemap, I usually use autocalc on the likes of the Armenians since they don't count. Do battles in which the enemy strikes first to start a battle against my army also count?