Page 13 of 65 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122233863 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Quote Originally Posted by Sint View Post
    Are Speudogordoz/Askamanniz supposed to be so...bad?No matter how I use them they perform worse than simliar prized units.They lack killing power(despite the 8 attack) and they have no survivability in meele despite the pikes.Even some of my cheaper normal spear units(like the chatti) perform better.I didn't expect them to perform like a phalanx but this is a bit dissapointing they seem to kill far slower than normal 8 attack spear units.
    Sorry, I missed this one before, it was at the top of the page.

They're the only unit that uses the shield wall ability, perhaps we should make them a regular phalanx unit, even if it isn't entirely appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by Pooploop View Post
    Follow up question on settlement development (thanks for answering my previous queries). Uhm, regarding the OTHER branch of city "infrastructure", which basically preserves local culture and prevents Hellenistic influence, as a Hellenistic kingdom, is it truly needed, even for some select settlements? Examples of what I'm talking about include: local governments, local military colonies, and others of its like. What do you veteran players say? Isn't it more efficient to develop ALL settlements with the end goal of Hellenization? As a disclaimer, I'm aware that for short-term pacification of a region, it is unwise to disregard the benefits of allied republics and oligarchies. So, to reiterate, I'm talking about 50 year plans for very "barbarian" cities. What should they look like after three generations?
    As Dargaron says, if you want to get some variety and make best use of the non-Greek rosters from those regions, you'd do better not to Hellenise everywhere. Some places become pretty marginal anyway, not giving the full range of Greek units from the polis, and some effectively "cap" at the first tier of the colony. Not so much Illyria or Thrace, but go further out or onto the steppe and you'll find the opportunity cost of investing colonists starts to get high.

Ultimately non-Greek cavalry is almost always better than Greek, same goes for many of the light infantry options. Plus you won't get some new units like the Skaplinai without some local rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    For those of you who rely on the Recruitment Viewer, there is a fix for this problem. Copy the export_units.txt file in mods\EBII\data\text to mods\EBII\data\text\txt. The recruitment viewer will now display the new unit description information correctly. For everything in the viewer to display properly, you need to follow a similar copy/paste procedure to update all files in the mods\EBII\data\text\txt folder.
    I'm hoping in the longer-term we can fix this by simply changing where the RV looks for its data, since we don't normally include that folder with the compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooploop View Post
    Haha, really getting into this campaign...So another crucial question (as the answer to this will dictate how I grab troops). Is it possible to retrain mercenaries (not just mercenary hoplites) and HOW do you do so? There were multiple times where a province has a particular mercenary unit available for contract work by the general in the field, but a preexisting mercenary unit garrisoned in the city of that province can't be retrained. So how does one maintain a force of Cretan archers away from Crete?
    If it's a unit that can otherwise be recruited, you can retrain them in the normal way. Otherwise, you can't. I'd note that Hellenistic Colonies in some southern Greek regions will give Cretans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivir Baggins View Post
    One other thing, however - the only factional government worth a damn I can build in nomadic settlements, the Governed Tribe, requires 50% Steppe Nomadism. If I don't wait 200+ turns before reforming to get those percentages in Garama and Tuat, I'll never be able to put a factional government there cos I'll then be culture converting *away* from Steppe Nomadism. Is this intentional?
    As a pre-reform government, the culture requirement is intentional, though perhaps the 50% is rather high.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    If it's a unit that can otherwise be recruited, you can retrain them in the normal way. Otherwise, you can't. I'd note that Hellenistic Colonies in some southern Greek regions will give Cretans.
    I'm curious about this as well, units like Epokorion (former Kurepos, celtic merc cavalry) according to the Recruitment viewer are available for recruitment in many places, but ingame they are only mercenaries. Are there some regions where some mercs can be retrained from the settlement, but not recruited from it? (Ex. Epokorion in Galatia). In my experience, it seems like retraining mercenaries is linked with the mercenary pool available at that moment, but i get it confused with things like the hoplite/phalangitai defeated event.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    I'm curious about this as well, units like Epokorion (former Kurepos, celtic merc cavalry) according to the Recruitment viewer are available for recruitment in many places, but ingame they are only mercenaries. Are there some regions where some mercs can be retrained from the settlement, but not recruited from it? (Ex. Epokorion in Galatia). In my experience, it seems like retraining mercenaries is linked with the mercenary pool available at that moment, but i get it confused with things like the hoplite/phalangitai defeated event.
    The RV is picking up the fact that Kurepos (and other Celtic mercs) have retrain-only pools in some buildings.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    The above is the sort of report that can be very helpful to the team:

1) It turns out that Evil MIL is one of only two ancillaries awarded by the "WhenToTest CharacterMarries" code, plus there are three different (not mutually exclusive triggers) so that certainly drove up the chance of getting this, especially since every character marries at some point. Also, one of the triggers involves the drinking trait and Makedonians are notorious drinkers, sooooo..... Anyway, we'll be altering the acquisition percentage chances on this, and ensuring mutual exclusion on the triggers.

2) Looking at the misellen trait (a typo for "Mishellene", yet another issue), we found that one of the triggers went off every turn that KH is at war with Makedonia, and affected every Makedonian FM. Even the Hellenes. So good catch, and yes, we'll be fixing this.
    Almost all of my Macedonians also got that rarely drinks trait (dont know the name for it atm), almost everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    Almost all of my Macedonians also got that rarely drinks trait (dont know the name for it atm), almost everyone.
    I checked my save from Makedonia campaign and true...they're rather uniformly moderate. Over 200 turns, I'd expect some variance.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    Drinking is a single trait with 6 levels and a 32 point range. The lowest level is simply where you start. Depending on game events and personality traits, "life" happens and individuals can progress from "Social Drinker" to "Paralytic Sot". Or stay at the lowest level. If you are saying that all your FMs start as Social Drinkers and nobody "gets worse", then yes we'll need to look at it. But keep in mind that the earlier triggers (from v2.2 and below) drove almost everyone to the absolute limit of awfulness, and we don't want to go back to that.
    EBII Council

Okay, I checked my Makedonia saves. During nearly 250 turns, most FMs had the Metropo...whatever trait, rarely drinks. Some had no drinking trait at all. Few progressed or spawned with occassional drinker, but nobody went further.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

My experience of a about 70 turn long Macedonia campaign Ive deleted since was about the same.

Thanks guys, we'll take a look at this.
    EBII Council

Let's hope it won't go the oher way again. I remeber the campaign where all my FMs ended up as drunken sods...

how much does the sharp/dull, charismatic/uncharismatic etc properties matter? is it very complicated or something simple like, charismatic = 75% good traits 25% bad, uncharismatic = 75% chance bad traits 25% good, in that set of traits?

Will the Carthaginian reform triggers be ammended in any way?
    Looks like the last Barcid character I have will die of old age. Kind of sucks if your large scale military-administrative reforms rely on an FM attaining a chance based trait while also having a preexisting, extremely rare, nigh irreproducible trait (Barcid) - my good generals always seem to be elected to the position of junior generals, while some rookie gets to be Rab Mahnet.
    Last edited by Rad; December 17, 2018 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Looks like the last Barcid character I have will die of old age. Kind of sucks if your large scale military-administrative reforms rely on an FM attaining a chance based trait while also having a preexisting, extremely rare, nigh irreproducible trait (Barcid) - my good generals always seem to be elected to the position of junior generals, while some rookie gets to be Rab Mahnet.
    I don't know if more people in the team will work on that, but I'm planning on revising the Barcid/Anti-Barcid traits for 2.4, expanding those trait lines. Trarco also has some really good ideas for them soo we will see what we can do about that.

Thanks, looking forward to it.
    For now, I will just face the fact that I will most likely be sticking to the old system.

So, another 40 turns in, and things are quiet in the Northern Gallic Confederacy(TM). We have a navy now, and "liberated" the people of Kantion from their vicious Pritanoi masters, then enforced a properly-pliant individual on the Pritanoi throne.

-1: My client ruler in Albion has two ethnicity traits: I suspect that one is the ethnicity a Pritanoi family member would get, while the other is the Client Ruler trait for that province.

-2: One of my semi-promising dudes got sent out to conquer Aquitaine as his Kingetos training. He took 2300 men to fight the 2800 man defending army, and won a Heroic Victory over the Aquitanians, then took their settlement. The result: he's now a "Weak Kingetos." Are Kingetoi-in-training not supposed to actually take territory, or did I just get very unlucky?
    Last edited by Dargaron; December 17, 2018 at 05:53 PM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

For now, I will just face the fact that I will most likely be sticking to the old system.
    Sticking to the old system, huh? That's exactly the sort of thing a rotten anti-Barcid would say of our dear Hannibal!

On a serious note, I am blown away by all the behind-the-scenes work that has been done on the campaign script, overshadowed by all the shiny new playable units in the game.

Tiro

Erhhh Rad.. umhh unless you are like "fanatic" roleplayer or all about "anti-teasing"..... just give the appropiate FM the barcid trait with console command when the time to get the reforms arrives. As usuall put the best candidate outside a settlement, target him and use the console command give_trait this barcid ( i havent checked the EDCT but i think thats the correct name). Dont let that kind of troubles to "ruin" a well played campaign. At least i wouldnt let that happen. You must "work hard" to get all requeriments, it is not like turn 1 i give the trait with console and reform done....

Regards:

melvidh

It could be that barcid needs a capital letter .... give_trait this Barcid. Erhh or just check the EDCT yourself ( i feel lazy to do it now )
    Last edited by melvidh; December 17, 2018 at 07:56 PM.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    On a serious note, I am blown away by all the behind-the-scenes work that has been done on the campaign script, overshadowed by all the shiny new playable units in the game.
    The script only?? man.. i have taken a look to EDCT, EDU, EDB, script .. the brigth sinny new players guide... there is a ing of work behind all those.

We'll discuss this.
    EBII Council

Quote Originally Posted by melvidh View Post
    Erhhh Rad.. umhh unless you are like "fanatic" roleplayer or all about "anti-teasing"..... just give the appropiate FM the barcid trait with console command when the time to get the reforms arrives. As usuall put the best candidate outside a settlement, target him and use the console command give_trait this barcid ( i havent checked the EDCT but i think thats the correct name). Dont let that kind of troubles to "ruin" a well played campaign. At least i wouldnt let that happen. You must "work hard" to get all requeriments, it is not like turn 1 i give the trait with console and reform done....

Regards:

melvidh

It could be that barcid needs a capital letter .... give_trait this Barcid. Erhh or just check the EDCT yourself ( i feel lazy to do it now )
    Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not my style of play
    I'm more for getting the job done - the job being reasonably feasible, that is.