Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 133853545556575859606162636465 LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1282

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Quick question, Will this patch include on it an updated and/or exapnded game guide? I found that a great addition in the last version and given the changes to several factions it would be very useful to not be lost at the start with them and also knowing if things are working as intended.
    Also regarding this, is my suggestion of including a mention to where can certain levels of polis and colonies be built given the confusion it keeps brining up as seen here in the forums?

We will either find a way, or make one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jervaj View Post
    Quick question, Will this patch include on it an updated and/or exapnded game guide? I found that a great addition in the last version and given the changes to several factions it would be very useful to not be lost at the start with them and also knowing if things are working as intended.
    Also regarding this, is my suggestion of including a mention to where can certain levels of polis and colonies be built given the confusion it keeps brining up as seen here in the forums?
    Yes, the guide has been expanded with more information, but I'm not sure about the polis, it's quite big so I didn't read it all.

Breakthrough on the Mac side of things, so that won't need a "fat patch".

Just Linux to work out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Well, currently, the ones that I use are:

AMD FidelityFX Contrast Adaptive Sharpening
    SMAA [SMAA. fx]
    Levels [Levels. fx]
    Vibrance [Vibrance. fx]

Feel free to send me a message if you have any doubts.
    Ahh ok, thought you meant ReShade presets made by some people that fit well EBII.

Thanks anyway, will keep these shaders in mind and I'd probably contact you when finding the time to play EBII next version Cheers!

Yes, the guide has been expanded with more information, but I'm not sure about the polis, it's quite big so I didn't read it all.
    Can we have the guide released earlier than the patch or is it going to be released together with it?

Any changes to artillery in the new patch? Scorpions are still kinda....disappointing. Even in ideal situation, they are, short of their range that can be used to provoke enemy into attacking, barely better than the ubiquitous Balearic slingers and sphendonetai...

IMO they wouldn't need much, one extra launcher, and maybe if there is a way to speed up the animation a bit, it would be enough to make them useful.

Senator

I don't think they would have had much of an impact in real life either at least not during field battles.Enemies would rarely just sit in range and get shot at for hours and at closer ranges a group of archers or slingers would have been more effectiv.

barely better than the ubiquitous Balearic slingers and sphendonetai...
    What do you want them to do?They are not machine guns and being better than highly trained slingers is already good enough.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Any changes to artillery in the new patch? Scorpions are still kinda....disappointing. Even in ideal situation, they are, short of their range that can be used to provoke enemy into attacking, barely better than the ubiquitous Balearic slingers and sphendonetai...
    Maybe it's not so bad for historicity? Scorpions were there not to bait the enemy for they wouldn't make much damage... Afaik, they're used mainly in defense, to fire from inside camps (with ocassional situations in the battlefield). The artillery barrage before an assault - as depicted in the initial scene of the "Gladiator" - is rather a modern phenomenon, maybe even IWW. On the battlefield scorpions were to bolster up the spirit of own troops: "look, how advanced we are, the greatest nations".

So what is the new patch going to entail? Just new units, and if that's it, who is the emphasis on? Iberia?

About Scorpions...keep in mind that the "ideal conditions" mean a very long battle in which the unit expends all ammunition, which is 60 bolts per launcher. This nets about 100-ish kills. Balearic slingers, at about 1/4 cost, achieve similar performance if they expend their ammo properly, and they'll do it much faster.

Historically, they didn't perform badly, even in field battles. IIRC Caesar describes their use during field battle, and their numbers within Roman army increased through the Imperial period, even when sieges became uncommon, which indicates that they performed adequately despite their cost and complexity.

Quote Originally Posted by Shlazaor View Post
    So what is the new patch going to entail? Just new units, and if that's it, who is the emphasis on? Iberia?
    A lot more than that. It's out of date now, but this was a preview of the changelog.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    A lot more than that. It's out of date now, but this was a preview of the changelog.
    Yeah looks like a load of interesting stuff. Thanks for taking the time to share.

has anything been done in the upcoming 'mini-patch' to improve performance of the pikemen?
    Last edited by Sarkiss; March 11, 2021 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    has anything being done in the upcoming 'mini-patch' to improve performance of the pikemen?
    I hope you mean the AI handling of them, since phalangitai are already powerful when used properly by a human.

properly meaning?
    here i right click on an enemy unit and a mess ensues: https://youtu.be/Zynzd28vVMY?t=460
    thats the latest public version. the only way to use them effectively is to place them in an immobile position well ahead of enemy impact and hope they will crash into your pikes. maybe im missing something?

properly meaning?
    here i right click on an enemy unit and a mess ensues: https://youtu.be/Zynzd28vVMY?t=460
    thats the latest public version. the only way to use them effectively is to place them in an immobile position well ahead of enemy impact and hope they will crash into your pikes. maybe im missing something?
    If you place them as your first line, the enemy will run into them. Put them on guard mode and let them tie up and exhaust the enemy. They're not the best assault troops, but excellent as defensive bulwark. Four units of phalangitai can tie up and exhaust disproportionate quantity of enemy troops, allowing you to easily overwhelm the enemy elsewhere. Or you can use the huge mob milling in front of your pikes as target practice for your artillery...

Just don't give them attack orders, that causes problems. When you want to go offensive with them, either wait till the enemy actually comes to contact with the pikes and stop charging before turning the guard mode off, or issue them a move order behind the target and do the same.

ah, ok. no, im aware of these 'methods.' what i had in mind is them functioning normally rather then being a sort of potential glass cannon you have to constantly handhold. its an inherent MTW2 issue though.

@Sarkiss, I loved your video and I agree with most of it, but there are a few things that I think you got wrong.
    - The icons for the cavalry units are correct, it is just that the icon depicts one soldier of the 4-5 possible types. So different helmets and clothing, but if you look closely at all the soldiers of a unit, it matches the unit card and icon.
    - The skirmishers not using loose formation. This is not a bug but a intended feature, in M2TW skirmish units adopt loose formation when being shot at. However their behaviour is bugged, and they either get stuck "reforming", thus not moving or firing. Or they take so long that they don't do anything. EB2 solves this by removing most of the loose formations, because fixing that "loose formation" afaik is hardcoded and not possible at the moment. The same thing happens with phalanx formation - it is bugged, and EB2 tries to make it work, but it is still bugged and won't work as in RTW. These formations are bugged and only tampering with the hardcoded files would fix their behaviour (pikemen switching to swords, and loose formation getting stuck and doing nothing).

Most people don't know these things because this game is old, and most never played without mods or when the game was recent. CA left M2TW with many bugs regarding gameplay (testudo, shield wall, etc.) that modders never quite managed to fix (hardcoded), even if a lot of things were vastly improved by the modding community (unit cohesion, cavalry charges, etc.)
    Last edited by Hellenikon; March 13, 2021 at 06:22 AM.

has anything been done in the upcoming 'mini-patch' to improve performance of the pikemen?
    Yes, they are faster now which enables them to keep up better with the rest of the army.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    @Sarkiss, I loved your video and I agree with most of it, but there are a few things that I think you got wrong.
    - The icons for the cavalry units are correct, it is just that the icon depicts one soldier of the 4-5 possible types. So different helmets and clothing, but if you look closely at all the soldiers of a unit, it matches the unit card and icon.
    - The skirmishers not using loose formation. This is not a bug but a intended feature, in M2TW skirmish units adopt loose formation when being shot at. However their behaviour is bugged, and they either get stuck "reforming", thus not moving or firing. Or they take so long that they don't do anything. EB2 solves this by removing most of the loose formations, because fixing that "loose formation" afaik is hardcoded and not possible at the moment. The same thing happens with phalanx formation - it is bugged, and EB2 tries to make it work, but it is still bugged and won't work as in RTW. These formations are bugged and only tampering with the hardcoded files would fix their behaviour (pikemen switching to swords, and loose formation getting stuck and doing nothing).

Most people don't know these things because this game is old, and most never played without mods or when the game was recent. CA left M2TW with many bugs regarding gameplay (testudo, shield wall, etc.) that modders never quite managed to fix (hardcoded), even if a lot of things were vastly improved by the modding community (unit cohesion, cavalry charges, etc.)
    i didnt know that removing of lose formation serves as a fix. i may be wrong but the unit cards still look wrongly assigned to me. i judged it based on couple of things: spear vs lances: eranag aswar wields lances and have powerful charge whereas the 'Kappadokians' have shorter spears, can skirmish. also prevalent head gear for eranag aswar is a conical helmet with chin straps or cheek pieces whilst kapadokians seem to have a larger proportion of phrygian caps. all these is shown on the unit info scrolls (when right clicked) and these do not correspond to the assigned unit cards. so there seems to be a mismatch between info scroll images and the cards. in either case, hopefully it will be looked into and addressed, if needed.

Yes, they are faster now which enables them to keep up better with the rest of the army.
    great, thanks, this is a big deal and will hopefully result in a more consistent AI line formation.
    Last edited by Sarkiss; March 14, 2021 at 04:47 AM.