Page 23 of 65 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

How useful are academy type buildings, besides the law bonus?
    Usually, I build the top tier at my capital, to educate young fms. I build a few others in places where I need the law bonus. But how good are they for adding positive traits and ancillaries after a character turns 21?

P.S. Where can I read up on ancillary triggers?
    Last edited by Rad; January 08, 2019 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    How useful are academy type buildings, besides the law bonus?
    Usually, I build the top tier at my capital, to educate young fms. I build a few others in places where I need the law bonus. But how good are they for adding positive traits and ancillaries after a character turns 21?

P.S. Where can I read up on ancillary triggers?
    See the Ancillary Guide for all things ancillary (including triggers, of course). If you are interested only in those used in EB, consult the "triggers section" of the mods\EBII\data\export_descr_ancillaries.txt file.

The same folder contains the export_descr_character_traits.txt file which would (slowly) tell you how many traits are effected by education buildings. And btw, the chance of gaining certain ancillaries is also affected by buildings of that sort.
    EBII Council

Many thanks. Some things are clearer now. I'm gonna build some schools

I noticed something.
    When units switch to their secondary weapons, they change the weapon/scabbard models.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Same guy

1. Riding towards the enemy with lance.

2. Switching to sword after the charge

Is there any way to put this in check without sacrificing the weapon diversity? The inconsistency is killing me

Random assignment of scabbard, combined with random assignment of weapon; in short, no.

This is why I love phalanx units - you get what you see.
    I'll try not to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    This is why I love phalanx units - you get what you see.
    I'll try not to look at it.
    It may even be randomised each time they switch weapon, if you really want your mind broken.

y u do dis?

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Something we're going to have to fix with a patch soon for all the recently discovered bugs. The problem is that the old "backup" system is still there, which interferes with the new one.
    Is it a easy fix you can maybe share?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiuga View Post
    Is it a easy fix you can maybe share?

Thanks in advance.
    In the EDCT, using Notepad++, find the trait "RoyalFamily".

Comment out (with a ; ) the beginning of every line starting "Effect Authority". There are three of them.

Will apply to new campaigns, not savegame compatible.

Is it possible to easily fix as well the issues with the "Select Heir" ancillary before starting a new campaign? Thank you so much in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by jdofo View Post
    Is it possible to easily fix as well the issues with the "Select Heir" ancillary before starting a new campaign? Thank you so much in advance!
    What issues are those? I thought the only problem was the backup system interfering with who gets chosen?

Thanks to Erken, we now have a way to switch on Guard Mode for the phalanxes in the Historical Battles (who will also be in phalanx mode in the next patch).

In addition to the rewrite of the Foreign Colony, factions with a Native Administration government now get a boost to the recruitment offered there. Refresh is unchanged, but they get a slightly broader pool (often meaning one point of a medium cavalry unit). Upgrading to the Supervised Native Administration is no longer a no-brainer. Sure you get faster refresh and better infrastructure, but it comes at the price of a narrower range of units (the pool there is unchanged).

What issues are those? I thought the only problem was the backup system interfering with who gets chosen?
    If I correctly understood, I read that the "Select Heir" system now fails sometimes to choose the next heir (after the current heir) due to some "left overs" of the previous system, but that they have been removed in the EBII team build for the next patch. I was wondering if it's possible to fix it easily before the next patch. Sorry for the confusion and thank you in advance!

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Was Alexandreia port known to be more productive in building fleets then other locations like antiocheia, carthage or capua? I ask because they have the royal fleet available in the "Port" building while antiocheia doesn't. Also, with this new system of "Raiding/War/Royal", it is implied that alexandreia and antiocheia ports, with "similar" installations (I know that this is a stretch), could build more 100 ships.

Quote Originally Posted by jdofo View Post
    If I correctly understood, I read that the "Select Heir" system now fails sometimes to choose the next heir (after the current heir) due to some "left overs" of the previous system, but that they have been removed in the EBII team build for the next patch. I was wondering if it's possible to fix it easily before the next patch. Sorry for the confusion and thank you in advance!
    Yes, I just posted the fix:

In the EDCT, using Notepad++, find the trait "RoyalFamily".

Comment out (with a ; ) the beginning of every line starting "Effect Authority". There are three of them.

Will apply to new campaigns, not savegame compatible.
    Was Alexandreia port known to be more productive in building fleets then other locations like antiocheia, carthage or capua? I ask because they have the royal fleet available in the "Port" building while antiocheia doesn't. Also, with this new system of "Raiding/War/Royal", it is implied that alexandreia and antiocheia ports, with "similar" installations (I know that this is a stretch), could build more 100 ships.
    The major shipbuilders of our period were the Ptolemaioi, Seleukids and in the west, Carthage. Timber from the Levant and Cyprus were major elements of that, along with seafaring communities all round the eastern Mediterranean. Those major ports were as much the receiving areas for those fleets as the places they were constructed, the ability to build Royal Fleets is a representation of that. Not that it seemed to be that difficult to gather the smaller ships of the fleets, it was only the larger ones that required the yards in Alexandreia and the like.

Notable that only the Ptolemaioi and Seleukids ever built fleets of super-galleys that qualify as a Royal Fleet, the biggest types fielded by Carthage were our War Fleets ("sixes" were the largest ships they used, "fours" were the most common). Rome, even at the height of its shipbuilding activities, never went beyond a War Fleet, and quickly switched over to Liburnes Fleets as their standard navy once all the other naval powers on the Mediterranean had been subdued.

Note Antiocheia doesn't start the game able to recruit War Fleets, but it can be upgraded to do so. It and Alexandreia are the only places that can. Other selected locations known for shipbuilding activity top out at War Fleets, with most other places only offering Raiding Fleets or Liburnes Fleets.

Foederatus

Hello
    Is it possible to somehow prevent royal lines from dying out? In one campaign as Pahlava house of Arsacid died out which is kinda problem due to royal satrapy goverment type.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

[...]

Note Antiocheia doesn't start the game able to recruit War Fleets, but it can be upgraded to do so. It and Alexandreia are the only places that can. Other selected locations known for shipbuilding activity top out at War Fleets, with most other places only offering Raiding Fleets or Liburnes Fleets.
    Don't know if it's an error, but it is the other way around (Alexandria can't build war fleets from the start, Antiocheia can).

I think someone said one shouldn't really take to heart what the building browser says, but Alexandria starts with a small port (so it can only build raid fleets at the start of the game), but can build royal fleets from the "port" building, while Antiocheia and Akko can only build royal fleets from large ports. Is this intended? Also, was the Phoinike region supposed to build Royal Fleets?

Couldn't really explain my point. This is a bit nitpicking, but from the detailed explanation you gave, I wondered if Carthage port would have a similar production output to Alexandria and Antiocheia (and Akko?). If they did, a +1 in their unit pool could be added to Carthage "large port" building, comparing it to the other large ports of the time. Not that it matters really in the great scheme of things, since western northern Africa has allot of places to build war fleets. Like I said, nitpicking

Are the campanian cavalry still planned?

Why so many units have the "command" trait? A unit like pontikoi hoplitai, that are even a mercenary pool, imo should not have it. The same with most units that aren't faction specific, as for example a unit of galatian heavy cavalry shouldn't increase the morale at all of nearby macedonians or greeks. I think this function should be reserved for units that are only avaibale on a certain cultural background, so for example Karroi could inspire units, but only be available to celtic/germanic/iberian factions. You wouldn't have a situation of karroi increasing the morale of nearby roman or carthaginian soldiers.

My main concern is with units that are elite and could inspire their fellow kinsmen, but when they are a recruited by a major power, it makes little sense to still inspire their new overlords. I would rather see the command trait be restricted, as it is also quite powerful (can raise a unit from shaken to steady just by going nearby).

Also i would like to suggest that for the pontic government of governon ton philon (governor general), something could be done to limit it's effectiveness to the presence of a character inside, in the same way that an allied government usually needs to have a client ruler to handle the population.

A governor general government would need the strongman (the appointed general) to be inside the settlement, when he is outside, then there should be a lot of unrest, as it is a very personal kind of administration that relies on him to work properly. Forcing the player to tie down a character to the settlement would imo be an historical drawback to an otherwise very powerful government.

Don't know if it's an error, but it is the other way around (Alexandria can't build war fleets from the start, Antiocheia can).

I think someone said one shouldn't really take to heart what the building browser says, but Alexandria starts with a small port (so it can only build raid fleets at the start of the game), but can build royal fleets from the "port" building, while Antiocheia and Akko can only build royal fleets from large ports. Is this intended? Also, was the Phoinike region supposed to build Royal Fleets?

Couldn't really explain my point. This is a bit nitpicking, but from the detailed explanation you gave, I wondered if Carthage port would have a similar production output to Alexandria and Antiocheia (and Akko?). If they did, a +1 in their unit pool could be added to Carthage "large port" building, comparing it to the other large ports of the time. Not that it matters really in the great scheme of things, since western northern Africa has allot of places to build war fleets. Like I said, nitpicking
    I'm misremembering what I implemented. The Antigonids built the first super-galley fleets (Demetrios specifically) in that eastern corner of the Mediterranean, and Ptolemy II got into that game a little later. Fleets also changed hands a few times, either being captured or captains switching sides, which unfortunately we can't simulate in the engine. Gonatas' flagship the Isthmia (a decere) was a captured prize.

Mostly it's because I didn't change the port buildings already present, and only Antiocheia starts with a larger port. Although there shouldn't be any Royal Fleets available there til the next tier. Alexandreia gets them at a tier below the other two places.

As for Phoinike, certainly, it has both Lebanese timber and all the maritime Phoenician cities (Tyre, Sidon, Biblos, etc).

Carthage doesn't have increased output, but all four of it's heartland settlements can recruit War Fleets, as indeed can Shardin and Mastia. They achieve their large fleets through a more distributed model, rather than a single site churning them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    Are the campanian cavalry still planned?
    Yes, and on an entirely personal level, I need them for my Syrakousai submod as bodyguards.

Why so many units have the "command" trait? A unit like pontikoi hoplitai, that are even a mercenary pool, imo should not have it. The same with most units that aren't faction specific, as for example a unit of galatian heavy cavalry shouldn't increase the morale at all of nearby macedonians or greeks. I think this function should be reserved for units that are only avaibale on a certain cultural background, so for example Karroi could inspire units, but only be available to celtic/germanic/iberian factions. You wouldn't have a situation of karroi increasing the morale of nearby roman or carthaginian soldiers.

My main concern is with units that are elite and could inspire their fellow kinsmen, but when they are a recruited by a major power, it makes little sense to still inspire their new overlords. I would rather see the command trait be restricted, as it is also quite powerful (can raise a unit from shaken to steady just by going nearby).
    Not going to work with the lack of exclusive units. Far too many of the elites can be recruited by multiple factions if they are established in the right place. There's no mechanical means to distinguish who is inspired by what unit, nor can we limit elites only to specific factions when they're regional in nature.

Also i would like to suggest that for the pontic government of governon ton philon (governor general), something could be done to limit it's effectiveness to the presence of a character inside, in the same way that an allied government usually needs to have a client ruler to handle the population.

A governor general government would need the strongman (the appointed general) to be inside the settlement, when he is outside, then there should be a lot of unrest, as it is a very personal kind of administration that relies on him to work properly. Forcing the player to tie down a character to the settlement would imo be an historical drawback to an otherwise very powerful government.
    Sorry, I can't see any viable way of scripting that. There isn't a toggle for "a governor is present", and even if there were it would mean checking every settlement for the presence of that government.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; January 12, 2019 at 08:11 AM.