Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Congrats guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    EBII modders are the champions, my friend!

BAH! BAH!

Their units...will keep fighting...till the end!

They are the champions! They are the champions! No time for De Bello Mundi, because EBII are the champions...OF TOTAL WAR!

Nice work gentlemen. I love all the new changes and additional units. Excellent. It appears to me that the new Carthaginian/Punic models for towns (and cities?) are not in this latest release, which is a small disappointment, but I will play anyway! Because beggers can't be choosers! And we should all be grateful for this sacrifice of lambs and the EBII team's spare time. They didn't need to do any of this. This isn't their job. They did this for us, you guys. So join me in giving them a big fat THANK YOU!!!!

And merry Christmas! And a happy new year! And a happy Saturnalia! And a happy Dies Natalis Solis Invicti! And a happy Hanukkah! So on, so forth.

Christmas came early indeed!

It's a joy to see so much hard work and passion poured into 12 year old title which many people still care about a lot. Great work EB team!

Been messing around custom battles to test out new troops, but noticed that Katoikoi Thrakes lost an armour upgrade level, is that intentional? It isn't in changelog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Been messing around custom battles to test out new troops, but noticed that Katoikoi Thrakes lost an armour upgrade level, is that intentional? It isn't in changelog.
    They shouldn't have:

Code:
    armour_ug_levels        0, 1
    armour_ug_models        thracian_colonist_early, thracian_colonist_late
    Still there in their EDU entry. I must admit, I've never worked out how you trigger armour upgrades in Custom Battle.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    They shouldn't have:

Code:
    armour_ug_levels        0, 1
    armour_ug_models        thracian_colonist_early, thracian_colonist_late
    Still there in their EDU entry. I must admit, I've never worked out how you trigger armour upgrades in Custom Battle.
    They used to have two upgrade levels. Now they have one...

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    They used to have two upgrade levels. Now they have one...
    One was a false upgrade, they only have two models. It's a consequence of unifying the upgrade mechanics for all units, now they all use the same 5 triggers.

Julio85's Avatar Biarchus

Congratulations!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    It appears to me that the new Carthaginian/Punic models for towns (and cities?) are not in this latest release, which is a small disappointment, but I will play anyway!
    No, that's not finished yet. It's a huge piece of work, but should hopefully be done for 2.4.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactics Mayers View Post
    And look at all those updates and new units, how close is EB2 to being complete? I imagine 60-70%.
    I'd say about 75%, given there are still two more factions, about 80 units and a horde of new events and features still to go.

Thank you so much for the early christmas gift!
    This version is really impressive, kudos to everyone involved.

There are a few things i noticed which i am unsure about:
    - Hyperaspistai are available only in western asia minor and only pre-reform. For some reason Pontos also have them in the basilike patris, is that intended?
    and the eleutheroi can no longer recruit them?. IIRC i asked some time ago and you said that Hyperaspistai would be exclusively regional.
    - Also another unit that pontos has in the basilike patris, the bosporitai logades - do they represent a southern pontic version of the same unit, or are they just bosphorans that joined the pontic court? The description seems to present them as an AOR unit from the bosphorus.
    - The difference between war fleet and royal fleet, related to the kind of harbour. I remember in the previous version some places could recruit penteres due to having a deep harbour (ex. trapezous), while in this version royal fleets seem limited to alexandreia-antiocheia pretty much. Does the new fleets have no correlation with harbours anymore? What are the criteria for allowing some ports war fleets or royal fleets?
    - In my game i noticed that relations would drop 2 points after each turn, so for example as the Seleukids i gifted the Pahlava up to 10 (Outstanding) and next turn it was at 8 (Very good). I thought that was changed in this version? Maybe it has something to do with historical faction animosity, i should probably try the same with 2 factions that are more friendly. This is on H/H

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    Thank you so much for the early christmas gift!
    This version is really impressive, kudos to everyone involved.

There are a few things i noticed which i am unsure about:
    - Hyperaspistai are available only in western asia minor and only pre-reform. For some reason Pontos also have them in the basilike patris, is that intended?
    and the eleutheroi can no longer recruit them?. IIRC i asked some time ago and you said that Hyperaspistai would be exclusively regional.
    - Also another unit that pontos has in the basilike patris, the bosporitai logades - do they represent a southern pontic version of the same unit, or are they just bosphorans that joined the pontic court? The description seems to present them as an AOR unit from the bosphorus.
    Yes, that AOR and phasing of Hyperaspistai is intentional. They decline with all other hoplite-style units, and are replaced in the polis by Thorakitai. Their omission from the govslave wasn't entirely intentional, but given the Rebel CAI's penchant for spamming elites, isn't the end of the world.

Their presence in the Pontic Basilike Patris, along with the Bosporan Logades merely represents a tithe of the elites available regionally. It is assumed that by the time you have one, your orbit will include the Bosporos.

- The difference between war fleet and royal fleet, related to the kind of harbour. I remember in the previous version some places could recruit penteres due to having a deep harbour (ex. trapezous), while in this version royal fleets seem limited to alexandreia-antiocheia pretty much. Does the new fleets have no correlation with harbours anymore? What are the criteria for allowing some ports war fleets or royal fleets?
    Royal Fleets were exceptionally rare, require huge resources in both shipbuilding and timber, and historically were only ever deployed from those two places. Indeed the EBII period actually witnesses the gradual scaling down of navies, with Royal Fleets being little more than museum pieces, while all the practical naval activities are carried out by smaller ships in smaller fleets.

Harbours determine what places are able to upgrade from Raiding Fleets to War Fleets, but Royal Fleets are limited to just those two settlements. Trapzeous can build War Fleets for Pontos, they would otherwise be limited to Raiding Fleets in Anatolia.

- In my game i noticed that relations would drop 2 points after each turn, so for example as the Seleukids i gifted the Pahlava up to 10 (Outstanding) and next turn it was at 8 (Very good). I thought that was changed in this version? Maybe it has something to do with historical faction animosity, i should probably try the same with 2 factions that are more friendly. This is on H/H
    Must be something else in the faction relations file; the difficulty-related aspect is gone now, but it will "normalise" around a lower figure over time.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Hello, great job once again!

Saw that you changed the naval warfare dynamics. I actually like the change to "Raiding fleet" and "War fleet", and bigger numbers, although the names sound a bit too "vanilla", maybe find an alternative to the future. Anyways, how does the new naval system compare to the previous version in terms of equilibrium between traditional naval factions and less traditional ones? In first glance the raiding fleet (100 units) seems a bit op against a pirate fleet (50 units) and a pontomora fleet (25 units). Also, in terms of recruitment costs and upkeep, these last ones seem to be a bit overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiuga View Post
    Hello, great job once again!

Saw that you changed the naval warfare dynamics. I actually like the change to "Raiding fleet" and "War fleet", and bigger numbers, although the names sound a bit too "vanilla", maybe find an alternative to the future. Anyways, how does the new naval system compare to the previous version in terms of equilibrium between traditional naval factions and less traditional ones? In first glance the raiding fleet (100 units) seems a bit op against a pirate fleet (50 units) and a pontomora fleet (25 units). Also, in terms of recruitment costs and upkeep, these last ones seem to be a bit overpriced.
    Given those fleets are available to a range of Mediterranean factions from a variety of cultures, only a "generic" name would do.

The equilibrium is definitely shifted in favour of those you term traditional naval factions. With good reason, they maintained large fleets of warships at great expense to create their dominance of the Mediterranean, which is the primary naval theatre in the game. Pirates were never more than a nuisance against proper fleets, it was only when those fleets were disrupted by the activities of the Romans against their sponsors that piracy spiralled out of control.

Not all shipbuilding is created equal, nor is every faction able to get the same value from it. The advantage of a Pontomora fleet is that they are relatively cheap and easily acquired, there is no universal formula that means every fleet type is of equal cost:power.

So happy to see this release! I've just finished my KH campaign in 2.3 and couldn't have enjoyed it more, one of my favourite TW campaigns ever. Which faction do you recommend playing for this release? There's so much I can't decide! I discard Rome and Carthage for being so powerful

Quote Originally Posted by gangster19 View Post
    So happy to see this release! I've just finished my KH campaign in 2.3 and couldn't have enjoyed it more, one of my favourite TW campaigns ever. Which faction do you recommend playing for this release? There's so much I can't decide! I discard Rome and Carthage for being so powerful
    What faction have you never played before? If you'd like to try a Hellenistic faction with some different dynamics, I'd suggest the Bosporans or Baktria. Or for something completely different (and harder), the revamped Lugiones.

This has brought a smile to my face at a difficult time. Well done EB2 team, the effort and attention to detail is, as always, highly impressive.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

One was a false upgrade, they only have two models. It's a consequence of unifying the upgrade mechanics for all units, now they all use the same 5 triggers.
    Thanks for clarifying that! It scared me for a moment, because I love the armor upgraded model of Katoikoi Thraikes. With their Thracian chain mail armor and all.

No, that's not finished yet. It's a huge piece of work, but should hopefully be done for 2.4.
    That's good to know! Thanks for that. I'm eager to see progress on all the hard work that's been done thus far. Perhaps in a Twitter update sometime in the near future?

I'd say about 75%, given there are still two more factions, about 80 units and a horde of new events and features still to go.
    By the beard and sandals of ZEUS! This is fantastic news. Once again, thanks for sharing! I can't believe there are that many unit slots left given the recently huge addition of units in v. 2.35.

Don't worry, the previews of new features will continue while we develop 2.4, we haven't gone to sleep or stopped working just because a major release has dropped.

Though I'd expect people to take a well-earned break over the Christmas period to recharge.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

They really should, you guys have earned all the praise and rest you can get.

What faction have you never played before? If you'd like to try a Hellenistic faction with some different dynamics, I'd suggest the Bosporans or Baktria. Or for something completely different (and harder), the revamped Lugiones.
    Actually I've only played with Rome and KH , I would like a very different thing, so Lugiones could be a great choice! Also, some Eastern factions would be interesting or an iberian or gaul one. I enjoy doing reforms and seeing my faction change a lot from the beginning