Page 12 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021223762 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

So, the semester is over, which means EBII ahoy!

A few points from the first 50 turns of an Aedui Long campaign:

1: I know that we're not supposed to trust the building outliner, but the Confederation Government (at least the Aedui version) doesn't seem to have a recruitment pool for Batumacos/Autrikon (basically, those provinces where you can recruit Karroi before the Age of Horsemen reform). Uergobretos does have a recruitment pool in those provinces, so I'm guessing Confederation was supposed to as well.

2: I'm not sure how to use Karroi: they seem to have lots of problems actually using their javelins on the enemy, since the chariots are so large and so spread out that the back ranks count as "out of range" unless they're super-close to the target, so it's rather frustrating trying to get your Karroi to throw their javelins at enemy targets.

3: The Arverni's military strength seems to fluctuate wildly. They quickly built-up to two full stacks packed with elites within a few turns of game start (which absolutely outclasses anything that an Aedui player can field at that point), but fortunately, the Arverni decided to attack the nearby Eleutheroi settlements and failed spectacularly, leaving them back at "weak" military power.

4: Is the Uergobret government basically just a Confederation Government without the authority penalty to your FL, representing a consolidation of institutional power vs. an ad-hoc unification of various tribes?

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    There's some units (mostly newer ones AFAIK, e.g Frisian skirmishers) that lack a name headline and a descriptive text in the viewer. I've also found one late-era unit for Boii, Lougiones and Suebi that doesn't display at all. Its thumbnail is a half-naked dude with a grey beard and a striped shield.
    Some thing odd going on with all those missing descriptions, as most are indeed present in the export_units file. As for the "half-naked dude", that's the chatti veteran and his card and EDU stats do appear in the dev build, so that at least has been fixed.

Edit: Turns out that Cryoshakespeare found the bug that prevented display of the chatti veterans here.
    Last edited by Kull; December 16, 2018 at 11:58 AM.
    EBII Council

As the Bosporans, Paniadis has no nomad enclaves to build after finishing the New Home building.

By the time I built that, Paniadis has Subject Clan government. Should I build it again since it has been converted into a settlement and has Helleno-Nomadic Satrapy now?

Guys, playing as Macedonia (and with the phalanx fixed in 2.35 *sniff* I feel so happy!) and I've got a couple of questions regarding settlement development. First, if a city is already a Hellenistic polis (has the "building" saying it is one), unless I plan to make it a recruitment center, it''s unwise to build a military colony in there right? Second, what's up with Pella? Do I need to make it a "strategia" government to be able to build a military colony? 'Cause I kinda zipped straight from doriktete ge to eleutheria kai autonimia. Now, I can't seem to be able to make a military colony in Pella, and Basilika Patris needs a top tier colony to be created right? I'm confused....(Why do you need to have colonists in the colonists' original country?) Third and last question, what do you need to do to get governor in training trait. I seem to see it on ai generals a lot but never on mine. Or maybe I haven't been monitoring my governors all that well...

Note: Definitely have colonist "points" as all other mainland Greek cities I have conquered have the option for military settlers...except for Pella *facepalms.
    Last edited by Pooploop; December 16, 2018 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooploop View Post
    Guys, playing as Macedonia (and with the phalanx fixed in 2.35 *sniff* I feel so happy!) and I've got a couple of questions regarding settlement development. First, if a city is already a Hellenistic polis (has the "building" saying it is one), unless I plan to make it a recruitment center, it''s unwise to build a military colony in there right? Second, what's up with Pella? Do I need to make it a "strategia" government to be able to build a military colony? 'Cause I kinda zipped straight from doriktete ge to eleutheria kai autonimia. Now, I can't seem to be able to make a military colony in Pella, and Basilika Patris needs a top tier colony to be created right? I'm confused....(Why do you need to have colonists in the colonists' original country?)

Note: Definitely have colonist "points" as all other mainland Greek cities I have conquered have the option for military settlers...except for Pella *facepalms.
    Depends on colony. Native colonies don't go well with poleis, but hellenistic colonies should be built along them. They're expensive, but boost law and give free upkeep at the expense of farming income. And in most Greek settlements, you'll need the law more.

As for Pella...you better check other requirements too. Hellenistic colonies need other buildings too, like road garrissons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dargaron View Post
    So, the semester is over, which means EBII ahoy!

A few points from the first 50 turns of an Aedui Long campaign:

1: I know that we're not supposed to trust the building outliner, but the Confederation Government (at least the Aedui version) doesn't seem to have a recruitment pool for Batumacos/Autrikon (basically, those provinces where you can recruit Karroi before the Age of Horsemen reform). Uergobretos does have a recruitment pool in those provinces, so I'm guessing Confederation was supposed to as well.

2: I'm not sure how to use Karroi: they seem to have lots of problems actually using their javelins on the enemy, since the chariots are so large and so spread out that the back ranks count as "out of range" unless they're super-close to the target, so it's rather frustrating trying to get your Karroi to throw their javelins at enemy targets.

3: The Arverni's military strength seems to fluctuate wildly. They quickly built-up to two full stacks packed with elites within a few turns of game start (which absolutely outclasses anything that an Aedui player can field at that point), but fortunately, the Arverni decided to attack the nearby Eleutheroi settlements and failed spectacularly, leaving them back at "weak" military power.

4: Is the Uergobret government basically just a Confederation Government without the authority penalty to your FL, representing a consolidation of institutional power vs. an ad-hoc unification of various tribes?
    1. It isn't intended for the Belgic lands, only southern Gaul - I'll change the upgrade path so that it isn't available there. That will avoid the "government which offers no recruitment" problem in the future. EDIT: In fact that's a "hole" in the upgrade paths - from precursor direct to Confed has no requirements.
    2. We've included chariots for historical accuracy, but the truth is they're rubbish. As far as the engine is concerned, they're "elephants" and short of making them overpowered in some respect, there isn't a great deal we can do about them.
    3. It's the CAI.
    4. Yes, though it's only available in the one place, unlike Confeds, which have a wider availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactics Mayers View Post
    As the Bosporans, Paniadis has no nomad enclaves to build after finishing the New Home building.

By the time I built that, Paniadis has Subject Clan government. Should I build it again since it has been converted into a settlement and has Helleno-Nomadic Satrapy now?
    The only enclave available in Paniardis is the Sauromatian one - which doesn't appear until their migration has happened. Its availability is not related to government, so your Helleno-Nomadic Satrapy is fine where it is.

The AI version is triggered when the faction has either less than 4, or more than 8 settlements. As in they're either doing very well, or very badly.

Guys, playing as Macedonia (and with the phalanx fixed in 2.35 *sniff* I feel so happy!) and I've got a couple of questions regarding settlement development. First, if a city is already a Hellenistic polis (has the "building" saying it is one), unless I plan to make it a recruitment center, it''s unwise to build a military colony in there right? Second, what's up with Pella? Do I need to make it a "strategia" government to be able to build a military colony? 'Cause I kinda zipped straight from doriktete ge to eleutheria kai autonimia. Now, I can't seem to be able to make a military colony in Pella, and Basilika Patris needs a top tier colony to be created right? I'm confused....(Why do you need to have colonists in the colonists' original country?) Third and last question, what do you need to do to get governor in training trait. I seem to see it on ai generals a lot but never on mine. Or maybe I haven't been monitoring my governors all that well...

Full militarisation of a Hellenic settlement requires both polis and colony. The highest two governments require both.

We're not going to create an entirely separate set of mechanics for Pella, which is why you can build "colonies" there. Think of it instead as a policy of organising the levies into proper soldiers again, since all those institutions will have fallen into disrepair along with the rest of the region.

As Sar1n said, do you meet the other requirements for a colony? Pella doesn't start with road garrisons.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; December 16, 2018 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactics Mayers View Post
    Yes, and not just them. It's a legacy from when many enclaves could be built soon after game start (the Lugians in particular who could ludicrously field half horse archer armies right from the beginning). Now the availability of the second level depends upon the historical movement of the correct types of nomads into the nearby regions. Accordingly, in v2.4 we plan to revise the title, text and capabilities of the precursor structure so it indicates a future ability, not something of immediate benefit. We didn't do that in v2.35 as there wasn't time to test all possible ramifications and we didn't want to introduce new bugs into a bug fix release.
    EBII Council

Can I ask how many times Galatia spawns stacks?

It's really annoying but it's really good if you want to form good generals.

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonMaster View Post
    Can I ask how many times Galatia spawns stacks?

It's really annoying but it's really good if you want to form good generals.
    As who? If you're playing as Pergamon, it will keep happening until you reach the Kingship reforms.

Otherwise, forever (but at a lower volume/frequency to those affecting the player of Pergamon).

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    As who? If you're playing as Pergamon, it will keep happening until you reach the Kingship reforms.

Otherwise, forever (but at a lower volume/frequency to those affecting the player of Pergamon).
    I'm playing as Pontos.

Well, it seems that Galatia will be my practice field for my generals forever.

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonMaster View Post
    Well, it seems that Galatia will be my practice field for my generals forever.
    Currently in a 200 turn Pontos campaign and I confirm it is!

Are Numidia supposed to be able to build Lybian Enclaves? Never had them work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivir Baggins View Post
    Are Numidia supposed to be able to build Lybian Enclaves? Never had them work for me.
    Yes, in a host of places. But not where there are colonies already present.

Follow up question on settlement development (thanks for answering my previous queries). Uhm, regarding the OTHER branch of city "infrastructure", which basically preserves local culture and prevents Hellenistic influence, as a Hellenistic kingdom, is it truly needed, even for some select settlements? Examples of what I'm talking about include: local governments, local military colonies, and others of its like. What do you veteran players say? Isn't it more efficient to develop ALL settlements with the end goal of Hellenization? As a disclaimer, I'm aware that for short-term pacification of a region, it is unwise to disregard the benefits of allied republics and oligarchies. So, to reiterate, I'm talking about 50 year plans for very "barbarian" cities. What should they look like after three generations?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivir Baggins View Post
    I just ran a 50+ turn Numidia test while confirming a fix to the Naravas/Metzule biography bug, and was able to build a Lybian enclave in Kirtan. You can actually start building one within the first few turns (immediately following the prec building).
    EBII Council

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    - Some of the (newer) units don't display properly in the recruitment viewer. Not sure if there's something off or if it's just an issue with the viewer not having been updated.
    For those of you who rely on the Recruitment Viewer, there is a fix for this problem. Copy the export_units.txt file in mods\EBII\data\text to mods\EBII\data\text\txt. The recruitment viewer will now display the new unit description information correctly. For everything in the viewer to display properly, you need to follow a similar copy/paste procedure to update all files in the mods\EBII\data\text\txt folder.
    EBII Council

Follow up question on settlement development (thanks for answering my previous queries). Uhm, regarding the OTHER branch of city "infrastructure", which basically preserves local culture and prevents Hellenistic influence, as a Hellenistic kingdom, is it truly needed, even for some select settlements? Examples of what I'm talking about include: local governments, local military colonies, and others of its like. What do you veteran players say? Isn't it more efficient to develop ALL settlements with the end goal of Hellenization? As a disclaimer, I'm aware that for short-term pacification of a region, it is unwise to disregard the benefits of allied republics and oligarchies. So, to reiterate, I'm talking about 50 year plans for very "barbarian" cities. What should they look like after three generations?
    Can't speak for this current patch, but unless you want to use armies composed almost entirely of Thureophoroi, Euzonoi and Javelin Cavalry to defend your northern frontier (or constantly import from Greece/Macedonia), you'll probably want to go with native govs and colonies in most of Illyria and Thrace. In my 2.3 Makedonia campaign, I had Hellenistic colonies/Poleis in [that city at the mouth of the Danube] and Byzantion, while everything else up to the Danube was native governments. That way, I can have a Thureophoroi/Getikoi Stratiotai/Hoplite main line, Celtic swordsmen flanking (with Rhomphaiai support), and Thracian/Celtic cavalry on the extreme flanks. The Hellenistic Colony recruitment pools were just pitiful in the interior Balkans, at least back in 2.3.

The Illyrian roster is flexible enough on its own that if you need an army in the Western Balkans, you can just throw together a bunch of Illyrian phalangites, Thureophoroi, Peltasts and Cavalry and call it a day, with maybe a few elites from Pella thrown in.

Haha, really getting into this campaign...So another crucial question (as the answer to this will dictate how I grab troops). Is it possible to retrain mercenaries (not just mercenary hoplites) and HOW do you do so? There were multiple times where a province has a particular mercenary unit available for contract work by the general in the field, but a preexisting mercenary unit garrisoned in the city of that province can't be retrained. So how does one maintain a force of Cretan archers away from Crete?

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Few things bother me. I know that certain factions and ethnicities are more succeptible to certain traits and ancillaries, but really...as Makedonia, half of the charaters that marry into my family get Evil Mother-in-law, and almost everyone, including hellenes that marry into family, get mishellen trait.
    The above is the sort of report that can be very helpful to the team:

1) It turns out that Evil MIL is one of only two ancillaries awarded by the "WhenToTest CharacterMarries" code, plus there are three different (not mutually exclusive triggers) so that certainly drove up the chance of getting this, especially since every character marries at some point. Also, one of the triggers involves the drinking trait and Makedonians are notorious drinkers, sooooo..... Anyway, we'll be altering the acquisition percentage chances on this, and ensuring mutual exclusion on the triggers.

2) Looking at the misellen trait (a typo for "Mishellene", yet another issue), we found that one of the triggers went off every turn that KH is at war with Makedonia, and affected every Makedonian FM. Even the Hellenes. So good catch, and yes, we'll be fixing this.
    EBII Council

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    I just ran a 50+ turn Numidia test while confirming a fix to the Naravas/Metzule biography bug, and was able to build a Lybian enclave in Kirtan. You can actually start building one within the first few turns (immediately following the prec building).
    Admittedly it's a bit late for me (cos I've reformed and put colonies everywhere) but good to hear that's working.

One other thing, however - the only factional government worth a damn I can build in nomadic settlements, the Governed Tribe, requires 50% Steppe Nomadism. If I don't wait 200+ turns before reforming to get those percentages in Garama and Tuat, I'll never be able to put a factional government there cos I'll then be culture converting *away* from Steppe Nomadism. Is this intentional?
    Last edited by Ivir Baggins; December 17, 2018 at 02:44 AM.