Thread: MTW Help & Questions

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Icon5 MTW Help & Questions

This thread is setup for general and limited (short) help and questions on MTW. As too increase visibility and access to such general and useful information. All members - able and willing - are welcome to help out or post here on all such stuff. If you have any such questions (not covered elsewhere) or in need of help, or can assist somehow - this is the place to post all such stuff.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; February 02, 2019 at 05:58 AM. Reason: clean up...

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Icon5 MTW Help & Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Little tip - play with the non-playable factions in the game (just edit the EARLY.TXT), they're a lot of fun.
    Are you saying that I can play the Novgorods in the early era by just editing the EARLY.TXT file?
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Libertus

Default Re: Who's still playing?

Leonardo, find this bit:

//========================================
    //Active Factions
    //which factions are to appear in the game
    //and which of these factions are playable
    //========================================
    SetActiveFaction:: FN_ALMOHAD FT_MAJOR
    SetActiveFaction:: FN_BYZANTINE FT_MAJOR
    SetActiveFaction:: FN_EGYPTIAN FT_MAJOR
    SetActiveFaction:: FN_ENGLISH FT_MAJOR
    SetActiveFaction:: FN_FRENCH FT_MAJOR
    SetActiveFaction:: FN_GERMAN_HRE FT_MAJOR
    SetActiveFaction:: FN_ITALIAN FT_MAJOR
    SetActiveFaction:: FN_POLISH FT_MAJOR
    SetActiveFaction:: FN_SPANISH FT_MAJOR
    SetActiveFaction:: FN_TURKISH FT_MAJOR
    SetActiveFaction:: FN_DANISH FT_MAJOR

SetActiveFaction:: FN_ARAGONESE FT_MAJOR
    SetActiveFaction:: FN_HUNGARIAN FT_MAJOR
    SetActiveFaction:: FN_SICILIAN FT_MAJOR

SetActiveFaction:: FN_NOVGOROD FT_MINOR
    SetActiveFaction:: FN_PAPIST FT_MINOR

and change it to read FN_NOVGOROD FT_MAJOR

Then do this:

// For factions set to FT_MAJOR ( playable )
    // files need to be placed in the campmap\GameEnd
    // directory in the form "MyFactionName_win.bif"

(eg just make a copy of FN_RUSSIAN_win.bif and rename it to FN_NOVGOROD_win.bif)

Very useful. Thanks mate.

+rep

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Is there a guide on how family and breeding works in this game? Can your generals have children if you marry your princess to him like in Medieval 2?
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    Is there a guide on how family and breeding works in this game? Can your generals have children if you marry your princess to him like in Medieval 2?
    It's very basic compared to later games. Only the royal family can have children - your generals don't breed with your princesses, they just get a loyalty bonus.
    The princesses are more diplomatic pawns than anything, and if your king happens to be unmarried, he will sooner or later 'marry a daughter of a noble family' automatically once he gets bored of waiting for one of the other factions to offer a princess. The exception is the Muslim factions, as their kings are automatically married once they take the throne.
    Your royal family can only support six princes at a time, although when your king is a bit limp, some of the married princes (if that happens...) can sometimes have children in the background which suddenly 'appear' in the family tree once said prince hits the throne.
    And of course, if you get bored with waiting for an offer from another faction, you can send your emissaries chasing around after them and ask them to marry into your royal family.

That's pretty much all the 'birds and bees' stuff you need to know for MTW 1 ....

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    In a way, yes, there is a sort of a quick guide in-game, just move the cursor on a princess and wait a few second then you'll see some text goes by explained what purpose a princess has in-game.

Other than that it is what Macsen Rufus said.

The Outsider's Avatar Civis

And you can marry your princesses to your princes good old fashioned incest.

I`m very bad at MTW and so far I can`t even win on easy ... so don`t be too hard on me.
    I want to ask a few questions:
    - What triggers a certain province to go from 0% GREEN to 100% RED (public order), without the ability to change it?
    - How do you access the 3 islands that are owned by Byzantine empire? I can enter Cyprus but the rest are mystery.
    - What is the negative effect of being excommunicated?

Default MTW Help & Questions

Quote Originally Posted by kpeatop View Post
    I`m very bad at MTW and so far I can`t even win on easy ... so don`t be too hard on me.
    I want to ask a few questions:
    - What triggers a certain province to go from 0% GREEN to 100% RED (public order), without the ability to change it?
    - How do you access the 3 islands that are owned by Byzantine empire? I can enter Cyprus but the rest are mystery.
    - What is the negative effect of being excommunicated?
    1. Might be AI spies moving through your provinces, use border forts(they have I think 100% detection rate) to stop this or use your own spies/assassins(I prefer this method as they can increase in skill quite quickly but they do not have as good detection rate but you can stack loads there but only the highest ranking agaent will gain skills).
    It could also be from your king being cut off from rest of empire, your king(especially late game) should be used very carefully because if he gets cut off(by enemy ships or surrounded on land) lots of your provinces might rebel and might even lead to a civil war. Mid to late game I rarley use my king and keep him on a port province and make sure to rule the seas.
    2. You need ships in every seazone(a continuous line) between your invading army and the target in order to do a sea invasion(some of the islands require certain zones around the island to be occupied by your ships but its normally just the zone that the port is connected to). You also need to make sure that there are no enemy ships along the route. Take care to never send your king on these sea invasions becuase without a port he will be cut off from the rest of your lands and this could lead to rebellions, the port can also be destroyed during the capture of the island.
    3. Mostly it just leads to a small increase in internal unrest in your provinces and you also become a target for crusades. I normally train my assassins on popes which clears the excomm.
    Last edited by Axalon; November 30, 2018 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Title correction...

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: MTW Help & Questions

Macsen Rufus, Axalon
    Do you guys by any chance know how to fix this annoying bug in MTW?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The correct texture is not showing for Steam version for some reason, I noticed this bug also in LegendofTotalWar Danish let's play.
    This part shood look like this:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Axalon; December 27, 2018 at 06:35 AM. Reason: clean up...
    Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music

As far as I can tell it is a "steam-thing" - distinct and unique for the MTW steam-version (V2.01 PE). And, it is seemingly built into the EXE - meaning, as long as you use that version - you are stuck with it - this, regardless what you do essentially. If you don't like it then play or use some other CD-version like V1.1 or V2.01 basically. If that don't work on your primary PC - then you set up/build a legacy-PC (with XP/w2k/98 SE) and the problem is gone. Other then that, there is nothing to be done about it (or that is my understanding of all this, anyways).

- A

When I made a lot of saves and Loads - "starting state" is gone. Where is the file with "locked" starting state of the new company.I want to remove. Sorry for my English.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrat1no View Post
    When I made a lot of saves and Loads - "starting state" is gone. Where is the file with "locked" starting state of the new company.I want to remove. Sorry for my English.
    Ummm, I will try to decipher this post the best I can... Is it?

A). You have made many saves and reloaded the game several times and now all fractions are gone when you want to start a new campaign? ...?...
    B). You have edited the startpos file many times and now the factions of the game will not show up as you want to start a new game? ...?...
    C). Something else... You will have too re-specify what (then)...

Please confirm which alternative it is... A, B or C?

- A

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post

C). Something else... You will have too re-specify what (then)...

Please confirm which alternative it is... A, B or C?
    I will try to explain.The fraction has many "starting states" but their number is limited. I mean the stats of the generals and the actions of the opponents first moves, chance and price of a bribe. These starting states go in order. Starting a new company, we get the first starting state. Starting another new company, we get a new starting state.Starting states go one after another.After restarting the game, we will get the first starting state.If you play a company for a long time with a specific starting state or do a lot of save and loads - this starting state disappears from the list (except the first "starting states"). There is a file with blocked start states. this file is not in the game folder.

I am still having difficulties here to properly understand what you really mean, but it sounds like a corrupt save to me - which happens if you quick-save and/or save between battles a lot - thus try to avoid it by doing regular saves in the beginning of each turn instead, that is usually much safer. It is a common problem for the MTW V.2.01 (but all the other versions as well, to a lesser degree). Once a save is corrupt - it is lost and can not be recovered - the only thing you can do then, is to go back to a previous/earlier save and start over. Sorry, but there you are.

Did that answer your question?

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; April 29, 2019 at 04:57 PM. Reason: clean up...

I found this file. It's ".../SaveGames/escapegame.dat".I deleted this file and all saves (deleting only saves didn't help). Problem solved! But I can not better explain why I was looking for him. Forgive me for taking the time. Thanks.