Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blut und Eisen - A Franco-Prussian War one thread RPG (interest gauge)

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Blut und Eisen - A Franco-Prussian War one thread RPG (interest gauge)

Honorable gentleman,

Flowing from a discussion Barrold, BF and I had on discord I have the following.

I'm here to propose a one thread RP. Unlike other games that mostly boil down to achieving means of victory by force, this game will focus on sheer story telling. You'll play a Prussian conscript being called up for the Franco-Prussian war. The game will focus on the events of Franco-Prussian war of 1870. We will be following the events of the war on a week-by-week basis but the interaction of the conscripts is totally up to you as a player.

It basically boils down to creative writing in a controlled environment with historical events to guide us. We won't focus on RP'ing through battles but more the everyday life of the character you are playing. There will be no rules perse, but people willing to "mod" might nudge things into a certain direction if something is going past. I'll need some people willing to do some research and help us get going. We can discus a format by which we play here too. It doesn't need to be done on a week-by-week basis, its just an idea to keep interesting events happening.

Some useful information to read:
    Prussian Army
    Franco-Prussian War
    Blood & Iron Speech.

Interested players:
    Brew
    Barrold
    BF
    Chessman
    KG
    Jok
    Oz
    Last edited by General Brewster; December 03, 2018 at 08:43 AM.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Re: Blut und Eisen - A Franco-Prussian War one thread RPG

Considering I just discussed this with you, color me interested

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Yeah I can make this work

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

I'm in.

Denn nur Eisen kann uns retten,. Und erlösen kann nur Blut,. Von der Sünde schweren Ketten,. Von des Bösen Uebermuth.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Hmm, put me down as interested.

Default Re: Blut und Eisen - A Franco-Prussian War one thread RPG (interest gauge)

This is what BF and I keep talking about, this concept. Count me in.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Blut und Eisen - A Franco-Prussian War one thread RPG (interest gauge)

Great Oz, glad to have ya.

@Everyone Character registration is up here.

Vortigern's Avatar Foederatus

Just got here and found this, thanks to Narf. Sign me up in the "interested players". Will follow it and probably sign up as a player in the near future.

Blog Entries

Feel free to sign up then. Game is already going but you can drop in whenever you want. Just be sure to arrive as a fresh recruit and we'll help you settle into the story.

Sure, thanks for the invite. I am reading a lil bit about the war and the Prussian army, trying to get into the spirit.

Uhhh, about the timetable here. How does time pass, normally? I mean, does the story jump from day to day? Do we skip months, days, hours?

Blog Entries

No clear indication yet. We intended to go by a week by week basis but it might very well involve skipping to notable events we can work with.

Alrightie then, sign me up then (so i need to come up with a smart German name now).

Are we gonna see any action, anyways? Doesn't particularly have to be a major battle. Skirmish between pickets or combat patrols could occur. Unless we gonna entrust the safety of our batteries to the infantry....

There will be action, and battle. But we wanted to have the action/combat sequences outnumbered in the narrative by the long periods in between - the common conversations between our characters while they're doing everything else. In our previous roleplaying games, many of us found that the most rewarding writing/roleplaying came from mundane and relatable scenes where characters enhanced or enriched the bond and understanding between them as human beings. This in turn makes the action scenes - scenes of risk and suffering and potentially life-changing pain and grief - all the more powerful and potent. We thought being an artillery "squad" would be a good way of creating this sort of group, and then following this young men through the war, week by week.

You are most welcome to join us.

Well, you had me at "hello", so yeah, i am signing up. Let me see about Westphalia first, though. A place of origin, a convincing German name (since i am from one of the southern most parts of Europe, i am not really keen with German culture, so obviously i need to do my research).

Truly though, why have you chosen Westphalia and not some other German state of that time. Bavaria or Saxony, for instance?

Citizen

Welcome aboard Vortigern. We are always glad to have fresh blood in our game. I'm sure you will make a great addition and look forward to RPing with you. As far as research goes, we have a lot of links in the Discord for the Prussian military, how their artillery worked, was organized and general info on the FPW. I can also PM you the info if you want.

Oh, and I'm Chesser. Nice to meet you.

Nice meeting ya. Yeah, about discord, i do have to get the app sometime.

Btw, i made my character already, not sure about the name though, is it German enough?

Citizen

Looks fine to me. Brewster(he's the one running this game) should be able to add you in easily enough.

Edit: I sent him a message, so he knows your coming.
    Last edited by chesser2538; December 11, 2018 at 04:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Yup it's fine. Just drop in as a freshling. Or joining the other's running, saying I told you to catch up with them or something.

Just did it. Just tell me if i am on spirit or if i need to mend and fix something.

Looks great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast