Thread: Any tips/strategy for Macedon?

Default Any tips/strategy for Macedon?

Here's how my first attempt went :

I attack Aetolian League early and take them out, next I move against Epirus but Makedon declares war on me, I leave a small force in support of Larissa to guard against Athens and move my main army against Appolonia, Epirus and capture the city, then I move my main army against Macedon, at this point I am ignoring public order as I was sure I can take it down later but then a plague starts and my armies stop reinforcing, my garrison is devasted a public order just deteriorates fast. I survive one siege assault by Athens but on a second I lose my much-depleted army and the city and while this was happening Epirus managed to bring another army from Italy as Rome wasn't apparently fighting them and took back Appolonia. Then Athens released Larissa as a new faction and it immediately starts with a 12 stack army.

Now three armies are moving against me (One of them highly depleted) against my capital Pella while I have a 4 stack army with no money, a rebellion that is about to break, in a nutshell I don't think I can save this from here.

Any tips in context of this campaign, what I did wrong and what should I had done?

Default Re: Any tips/strategy for Macedon?

Quote Originally Posted by ixtab312 View Post
    Here's how my first attempt went :

I attack Aetolian League early and take them out, next I move against Epirus but Makedon declares war on me, I leave a small force in support of Larissa to guard against Athens and move my main army against Appolonia, Epirus and capture the city, then I move my main army against Macedon, at this point I am ignoring public order as I was sure I can take it down later but then a plague starts and my armies stop reinforcing, my garrison is devasted a public order just deteriorates fast. I survive one siege assault by Athens but on a second I lose my much-depleted army and the city and while this was happening Epirus managed to bring another army from Italy as Rome wasn't apparently fighting them and took back Appolonia. Then Athens released Larissa as a new faction and it immediately starts with a 12 stack army.

Now three armies are moving against me (One of them highly depleted) against my capital Pella while I have a 4 stack army with no money, a rebellion that is about to break, in a nutshell I don't think I can save this from here.

Any tips in context of this campaign, what I did wrong and what should I had done?
    Athen and Sparta start out hating your guts and likely to ally each other. 8/10 times one will declare war on you and drag the other in. My priority is always to subdue them before taking on Epirus. Plus, let Rome weaken Epirus for you. The northern tribes cannot enter proper Greece without going through Pella, so turn your capital into a barbarian meat grinder in case they declare war on you.

As for the early game blitz, abuse your starting 3 faction leaders: turn 2 into 2 basilikoi hypatpist units to be your anvil, 1 into a hetaroi plus your King Antigonus to be your hammer. Recruit only Ikphrictian Peltast because they're OP. You should be able to cheese through the Athen and Sparta without too much fuss.

Good luck!

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome to the Forums
    With a quick search here you could find multiple answers to your question.

Cheers
    G.S

From what mistakes I made in my Antigonid campaigns, I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that you will go at war with Athens and Sparta within the first 10 turns. One attacks and the other will follow, and this might be a bit strenuous for your campaign effort. This is why Epirus is your primary target, no matter what: seek out the Romans (with your spy) and join their war against Epirus, get a non-aggression pact, fit in a trade agreement if you can. When there's one army (usually Amphidamos' ) or just the garrison army, go loud and take their city. From there on, with their resources cut off on the Greek mainland, it is usually just a matter of time until the Romans will finish them off in Italy, and you will have secured a good relationship with them (for now).
    Now is the time to go attack the Aetolians, and as soon as you will have done that, Makedonia is entirely yours. The reason why the Aetolians shouldn't be the first you go after is because the regional powers of Hellas will declare war on you shortly after and, in my case, had a rebellion and the Epirotes were right behind my back. Athens is just a turn away from Larissa and they will always go attack that town when your army is somewhere else, and your populace will go down to less than 8,000 after winning the settlement back, losing it again and then repeating the process. It will not be able to supply your army when you will march down south, and you will need a naval supplier (which is just extra upkeep). It is a winnable conflict, but it will exhaust your manpower and public order to such an extent where you will not be able to make further gains in the north (Thrace) or the east (Asia Minor) with ease.
    Furthermore, you should get trade agreements with any of the Daco-Thracian and Illyrian factions that you won't conquer in the short-term (Thyni, Bythini, Triballi, Odrysians, Ardiaei ,Daorsi). Although they're on neutral terms with you from the start, they can be counted on to not make an impulsive attack on your capital if you secure any diplomatic relations from the beginning. This will give you enough time to conquer Greece and with the right provincial specialization, you will have enough income to field a good, Successor Kingdom-tier army that you will be able to steamroll Thrace with (if you so choose to), or Illyria (although they could also be decent allies against the Celtic warmongering tribes from Cisalpina or the north, or even the Romans since they are fairly expansionist and will not cross directly into Greece since you will be an ally). You must understand that, at a certain point, when you will have expanded enough to give you at least 4-5 good, imperial armies and a large navy (hopefully having reached Thureos reforms), Roma delenda est. You will not be able to bring about a reborn Alexandrian legacy as long as Rome exists, and they must be all be killed, subdued or enslaved to the last one. They are more powerful than anybody else from the beginning, and you will need to have secured a good amount of territory and funds in order to be able to have a prayer against the Romans. Think of your early game expansion as a way to secure enough resources to be able to take on Rome. It's not the Baktrians, not the Egyptians, not the Epirotes, not the Seleucids nor any of their Persian satraps that are a threat to your legacy. Rome is the threat.

Thanks everyone and sorry for posting it in the wrong section.

Zirteh, I am starting a new campaign and going to follow your advice and go for Epirus first and make friends with Rome, will see what happens.

Send your save to LegendofTotalWar. If he can't cheese, ahem, I mean save it, no one can.

^^ Legend doesn't play mods hes mentioned it in his videos many times.

Yeah he only does the cheese DEI campaign because he promised his fans I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Samos41 View Post
    ^^ Legend doesn't play mods hes mentioned it in his videos many times.
    I admit, I did not know that. I never watch his video from start to finish. There is only so much cheese one can consume in a day, let alone an hour.