Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new monitor

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

Default Looking for a new monitor

Ultimately looking for a basic 1080p 60hz monitor 24"-27"

Here are somethings I'm considering:
    1. I don't care about the g2g response. 1ms to 4ms doesn't matter
    2. Looking for a VA or IPS panel.
    3. Will be used for TW and BF games mainly

One of the things holding me up is I have become obsessed with SMPTE color bars and changing the brightness and contrast as well as being able to change the rgb to blue to use the SMPTE bars.

I would like to find a monitor that has contrast and brightness and change correctly as well as saturation and hue/tint that can be changed.

I am currently using a Benq 27" VA and also an ASUS 24" IPS (not at the same time just switch them out)

What i've noticed is that the Benq seems to change contrast perfectly but not brightness. In a brightness test the part that should disappear never does, even on lowest settings. The opposite seems to be true with the ASUS.

Overall I am looking for a mid $100s range monitor that has the best over all color representation. the VA is amazing for blacks and has bright colors, but if the IPS is better over all I would go with that.
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

Default Re: Looking for a new monitor

Yes.

I'd probably go for a Dell monitor on sale. Preferably an S series.

Really? over Asus or Benq? Any particular style? IPS?

IPS. Dell is typically a higher quality panel than both other brands, build quality wise it depends on the model. Asus is pound-for-pound better bang for buck, but I absolutely hate dealing with Asus customer support. I like Asus products and I've had quite a few products for them, including my laptop, but I hate their customer service. That said, there's really great products from all three companies. Quality with BenQ and Asus monitors is really hit and miss, especially in these budget ranges.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

@Hunter Makoy

Hi,
    I wouldn't suggest buying anything under 2K 120hz if you're into FPS games etc You could also post your hardware, so we could pair it your new monitor accordingly.

144 Hz is vastly overblown. My peak as a CSGO player was done on a slow 60hz monitor, (Legendary Eagle Master, B+ on ESEA), same with my peak as a PUBG player (~2k rating regularly), nor do I think the extra "fluidity" is worth the premium. Colors and IPS> 120hz TN panel. Vast majority of players played just fine under 120hz. Including myself, I regularly switch between my 120hz panel on my ASUS GL 503 SCAR and my 60hz IPS. I play pretty much equally on both. I defintely prefer playing Total War games on my Dell monitor than on my laptop.

Yep, 144hz is too much and unused under most circumstances. I also strongly favor a good IPS panel above all. But I'm seeing every day more and more users preferring the high refresh rates for fast paced games etc
    I personally favor 2K-120hz, can't go back to 60hz anymore.

Thanks so much for the responses. I will definitely check out the Dell monitors. I agree on the hz and ms times. I'm looking more for color representation and customizability than response time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Makoy View Post
    Thanks so much for the responses. I will definitely check out the Dell monitors. I agree on the hz and ms times. I'm looking more for color representation and customizability than response time.
    Then your first choice should be an IPS panel, a VA one as a second and your last resort a TN.
    There are variations between companies and price ranges of course and you could find a VA panel with better colors than a cheap IPS one. I believe you're getting my point.

Personally I actually prefer looking at VN panels these days cuz I've never owned one and they're quite rare. I'm a bit of a hipster that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Personally I actually prefer looking at VN panels these days cuz I've never owned one and they're quite rare. I'm a bit of a hipster that way.
    VN panels ? Did I miss something?

If anyone is interested, then I think it is better to buy 1 monitor IPS (small or used) for any video montage and photoshop. And the second on TN as such () for games, here the viewing angle is not very important and the frequency of response is faster, it's cheaper for anyone than buying 1 The best in the world for which you have to sell a kidney.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; December 28, 2018 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

VA. Typos sorray
    No worries buddy. I just thought I missed a new model or something

Quote Originally Posted by IvanOst View Post
    If anyone is interested, then I think it is better to buy 1 monitor IPS (small or used) for any video montage and photoshop. And the second on TN as such () for games, here the viewing angle is not very important and the frequency of response is faster, it's cheaper for anyone than buying 1 The best in the world for which you have to sell a kidney.
    Or just buy a VA panel which usually combines both

IPS panels are a lot better with response times these days as well. So really, it's a question of how much performance are you willing to give up to get better colors and viewing angles? Also, as a devil's advocate, high-end TN panels have also become a lot better in terms of color and viewing angles as well. There are so many different models now that the question of performance vs value has become a lot more difficult. There's been a convergence of sorts in this regard. I wish there was a store where you could just window shop different monitors before ordering them online. Would be cool if Amazon did something like that.

I wish there was a store where you could just window shop different monitors before ordering them online. Would be cool if Amazon did something like that.
    Indeed. You could always try Malls or big Hardware chains, but the variety of Amazon's storage with a window shopping choice would be ideal.

I went ahead with a Dell S2719H that I found an open box deal on. Just got it and it looks great and everything so far looks amazing. The only downside is when changing to custom color (blue only) I can't adjust the hue and saturation. It looks like its spot on, but i only know how to tell for sure with the smpte color bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Makoy View Post
    I went ahead with a Dell S2719H that I found an open box deal on. Just got it and it looks great and everything so far looks amazing. The only downside is when changing to custom color (blue only) I can't adjust the hue and saturation. It looks like its spot on, but i only know how to tell for sure with the smpte color bars.
    So you went with 1920x1080 60hz ?
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; December 30, 2018 at 03:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast