Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

Use this thread to comment on the recent and past competitions, the outcomes, the style of the posts and what's not.

I remind you that commenting on the actual content of the posts participating in the PotF competition is out of the scope of this thread and thus will be considered off-topic and dealth with accordingly; as mentioned in the RULES thread, people is expected to nominate posts and to vote on them on the base of the quality of the post, not of the content: while one can argue that the content is part of the quality, it remains intended that no discussion which will focus on the content rather than on the structure of the post will be tolerated.. in other words, if you want to discuss the content, go where the post has been originally posted and use the regular patterns for any other D&D discussion.

A straight example:

"I like how user B put down and defined his positions, it was very much clear and even me, who I'm virgin on this matter, was able to understand easily what he was referring about", or "mhe, the way he defended his position is awful, I couldn't get a grasp on what he meant" are fine as comments, while "I'm on the same political position of user B, I also think that Mr President is an idiot and that he should do that or that.." is clearly commenting on the content and will thus be removed. Repeated offenders will be treated accordingly to the ToS.

It also remains intended that personal reference are still off-topic and that the ToS fully applies here as anywhere else in the D&D fora.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

Just a quick observation; I did not know the difference between the "Discussion" Thread and the "Commentary" thread. For the moment, the OPs are visible and you clearly see the difference. I believe in time, the difference may get lost. I make the following suggestion (no pun intended);

Post of the Fortnight - Discussion Thread to Post of the Fortnight - Competition Suggestion Thread

Blog Entries

thanks, noted Pike; I think it's quite clear (in general it is always wise for people to check the OP before posting), but if it will become confused I'll take care of editing the titles
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Van Zandt nominated a post from the Curia. I thought it was a D&D only competition? No...?

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Indeed, I’ll have to remove that.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

Think I goofed, didn't see that only posts dated after the nomination thread is put up are eligible, meaning this post isn't eligible?
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Blog Entries

That post won’t be entered in the voting round unfortunately. However the other nominated post of Abdul’s will be
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Oh come on mate. Nominating Abdul's posts is cheating at this point

Blog Entries

Pardon?

Blog Entries

he probably meant that he would have nominated it himself

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: POTF 3 - Nominations

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Iunius_Brutus_Caepio View Post
    I nominate Sukiyama.
    Can i draw back my nomination? As the Wiki-Man nominated another post of Sukiyama and two posts minimize his chance to win by splitting up the votes.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; January 12, 2019 at 11:42 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Blog Entries

Only one post of Sukiyama’s choice will be entered, also please use the commentary thread in future it just keeps the nomination thread clear. I’ll keep yours up dont worry

I've noticed there is a bias in favor of long posts. I hope it doesn't create the impression that short posts aren't worthy of being nominated. I'm willing to nominate one-liners, if good enough.

I should also note that I don't necessarily agree with the posts I nominate. I just nominate posts I think are good contributions to the forum.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Blog Entries

That’s the right attitude DL.

As to bias, it’s completely up to the community what posts they want to nominate and vote for. There’s nothing, no rules at all against small posts participating.

Blog Entries

Sorry about the threads being late, I’ve had a busy week. The vote thread will run for the normal amount of time.

Default Re: POTF 7 - Vote!

That's a tough one, but I voted. Abdulmecid's post was a close second; I would've picked it over the others, but it kind of drifted into rant status near the end.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Blog Entries

ANNOUNCEMENT

Since the site is still not working properly, the nominations thread will be left open until everything is back to normal. Usual rules apply, you can keep nominating as long as the thread is open and a maximum of ten will be taken to vote.

And the winner of POTF 7 will be properly announced tonight, however some of you might have already seen that it was sumskilz.

Blog Entries

Please everybody joins me in congratulating Dick Cheney. in being the first ever to earn a PotF medal!

Well done sir, the glory will be yours forever

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

True! There may many that earn this medal, but there can only be one first. Congrats to Dick Cheney. !!!!

Blog Entries

Nice one Dick

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast