Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

You won three comps, silly.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Please everybody joins me in congratulating with Lord Oda Nobunaga for being the fourth ever in receiving a PotF medal! Well done!!
    You won the POTF competition enough times to win the medal.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I did? Didn't even know that I did.

What were the posts? They must have been amazing. Can I read them?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Blog Entries

yes, go to the leaderboard thread and you can find the contests you won in post 2
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Sure thing. Here’s the most recent one:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-and-Runner-Up
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Blog Entries

Congrats to Love Mountain for his win!

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

And congrats indeed!

PotF 24 Poll and PotF 25 Nominations will be up soon!
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Congratulations Love Mountain!

The next round of the POTF Competition is posted. Please take a moment to nominate/vote.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

- People are expected to consider the quality and structure of the post itself, more than the content of the same.
    I don't think most people are following this rule. They seem to be nominating low-effort, badly-formatted, or otherwise poor-quality posts for the sole reason that they agree with their philosophical content. This has basically become yet another popularity contest, not much different from citizenship.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    I don't think most people are following this rule. They seem to be nominating low-effort, badly-formatted, or otherwise poor-quality posts for the sole reason that they agree with their philosophical content. This has basically become yet another popularity contest, not much different from citizenship.
    I guess that the word "expected" is the key here; however, what is or isn't quality is subjective, therefore I respectfully disagree with your statement, since according to my standard of quality most of the posts nominated here are totally deserving the nomination.

If you haven't yet, I suggest you to give a look at the Hansard and in particular to the leaderboard thread
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Most of the proposed posts seem to me worthy of an award. Have you nominated any post? Maybe there are even better posts that no one nominates.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I honestly don't even think my quoted post meets the words of standard in the thread nor even does much more than open a conversation in its source, but it's all relative I guess.

Blog Entries

I for one know for a fact I have nominated posts I disagree with, you should be willing to do the same if the post is good enough.

Given that quality is subjective, the voters will decide what is deserving of recognition. Whatever reasons one may have for nominating a post, you are encouraged to nominate and vote as well. Thank you for your input.

Quality is indeed subjective, but the rules explicitly differentiate the quality/structure of a post from its content. In other words, the philosophical content of a post doesn't necessarily determine its quality.

Yet almost every nominated post contains content that accords with the nominator's personal beliefs. Either that's just a freak coincidence, or most nominators are prioritizing content over quality. Based on my knowledge of human nature, I know which is more likely.

The best way to prove me wrong would be to nominate posts you have clear philosophical disagreements with. Let's see how many are up for it.

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Like has been suggested above you're also more than able to nominate posts that you disagree with, and yet you have chosen not do so. How about lead by example and see if others follow?

Yet almost every nominated post contains content that accords with the nominator's personal beliefs
    So what?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

There's no incentive to participate in the competition when most participants aren't following the rules.

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Alright then, here I am.

First of all, if you're going to denounce the standards, indicate why the posts are structurally wrong, as merely saying 'they're bad' in so many words means very little. Indicate why. Indicate what the alternative would be. Do so with detail. Things don't get fixed many times until you are explicit in the first place about what you find wrong and how to fix it, at which point you've done your due diligence - and all in a given post clearly addressing what you're saying, not splashed across pages. There is indeed an element of popularity contest to the deal, but so it is with all of these things including modding awards and in similar contexts across the internet, and I see little about this case to distinguish the scenario as unusual - in fact, I would think the nominations here are at least trying at objectivity. If everyone else is wrong and you're the only one who's right, perhaps it is time to review how you are doing it. At the very least avoiding snipes and dropping the full picture might achieve progress.

There's a slim market for solid posts in the first place in some half month, month apiece that's given for this competition; bilaterally excellent obvious contender posts only show up once in a rare while, and you're probably more inclined to agree with the merits of something you agree with when presented to you well over the kind of post you think is missing the point, ergo against your beliefs, and lacking the structure to make up for that disbelief in argument. But this can be countered. Find your own post, make a case for it and see how it turns out. Construct such a post yourself. I'd welcome something at that level, the kind of posting that would deconstruct the essence of a conversation over the perpetual reactionary nature that is the essence of the DD and results in the perpetual circular loops that amuse me so.

I imagine this may be rebuked as it could easily spin into debating the subjects (even if I think the two are completely detached for this query), but I encourage an effort to say why, structurally, the posts you dislike that are being nominated are badly assembled, as all I've seen so far is you saying they're bad without true examples of how the standards have faltered. I could argue against my own nomination in detail and will upon request, but if nothing else it seems consistent enough with the rest of the entries, so you're free to use my post as a full featured example to prove your point.

People shouldn't be proving you wrong until you've done better proving yourself right. It's a basic courtesy when you walk into a thread and tell people everything they're doing is wrong. The least you can do is be comprehensive about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    Alright then, here I am.

First of all, if you're going to denounce the standards, indicate why the posts are structurally wrong, as merely saying 'they're bad' in so many words means very little. Indicate why.
    Really? You want a rules like 'focused and coherent' then don't accept a nomination of Roma's post for his retort to alhoon. Believe me, I love Roma's post. But alhoon's post was all over the place, thus Roma's retort will be all over the place by it's very nature. Your nomination will not be focused and coherent because the post you're retorting against is guiding what you're writing by its very nature. Put your money where your god damn mouth is. Or take the rule out and see this fall apart even more as posts that actually have effort put into them get passed over because they're in the wrong thread and get missed because posters that participate don't go there.

Yes, I'm aware it's epic's nomination. But here we are with plural you. See if you can accept it.
    Last edited by Gaidin; March 14, 2020 at 10:48 AM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Blog Entries

Let’s tone it down a bit lads.