Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to provide feedback. It's great to see people are passionate about the POTF Competition, and I am glad people are paying attention to what characteristics "a nominated post should" have.

By the same token, all nominations are expected to be made in good faith according to the guidelines. The voters decide whether a post has met these standards. That is why everyone in the D&D forums is encouraged to both nominate and vote. As Flinn mentioned, if we take a look at the Leaderboard Thread, the results speak for themselves.

In the same spirit, I would encourage us all to conduct ourselves accordingly when discussing the competition here.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to provide feedback. It's great to see people are passionate about the POTF Competition, and I am glad people are paying attention to what characteristics "a nominated post should" have.

By the same token, all nominations are expected to be made in good faith according to the guidelines. The voters decide whether a post has met these standards. That is why everyone in the D&D forums is encouraged to both nominate and vote. As Flinn mentioned, if we take a look at the Leaderboard Thread, the results speak for themselves.

In the same spirit, I would encourage us all to conduct ourselves accordingly when discussing the competition here.
    Pretty much this. I wish to stress again one point: the PotF is a friendly competition opened at everyone, and everyone is invited to participate by nominating and voting for those posts they consider to be the "best" according to both the rules and their personal interpretation.

Thanks everybody for the feedback, please keep this civil and remember to respect everyone's opinions and the work and commitment of those who are running this competition.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Since we are here I would like to point out that it would be cool in my opinion to encourage new or usually ignored users with nominations (as long as their posts are valuable, of course).

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Since we are here I would like to point out that it would be cool in my opinion to encourage new or usually ignored users with nominations (as long as their posts are valuable, of course).
    Good idea indeed! Since one of the purposes of the PotF is to promote the D&D in general, seeing worthy posts from new members to be nominated would certainly be a good thing
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I thought the primary purpose of the PotF was to shower me with praise and accolades?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    No. If you don't have the other side of the conversation then you won't understand the context of the post.
    Then that’s on Cyclops. You can’t alter posts in any way when they are entered.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Then that’s on Cyclops. You can’t alter posts in any way when they are entered.
    I don't think you understand the problem. Nothing was "altered". Cyclops included the comment he was responding to in his post, but the "reply" feature did not take it into account. The reply function will not include/consider text which is wrapped in quote codes. This means they have to be added back in manually. Under normal circumstances this absence of consecutive or stacked quoting (which for some reason exists in PMs) isn't an issue because you can read back up through the thread to see the context, but since we're copying posts out of their original threads, it is.

For instance, if you respond to this comment using the reply feature, your statement "then that’s on Cyclops. You can’t alter posts in any way when they are entered" which I wrapped in quote tags will not be included even though it is an element of my post. If you look at your own nomination of sumskillz's post, you'll see that there are obvious gaps in the text where his interlocutors comments (which he quoted in his post) were not considered by the reply function. This meant I had to go to the source thread to see what he was referring to.
    Last edited by Cope; March 24, 2020 at 05:41 AM.

Blog Entries

Don’t worry about including text cyclops quoted, legio will take care of that. You just have to quote what the system lets you. It’s only to provide a link to the post, and allow legio to see what the post’s content is. He’ll be copying the post from the source more likely and not your submission.
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Not being able to copy quotes when using the 'reply' function is a problem, obviously. I can imagine that the odd post will be suggested not so much because of it's content but rather how it responds to another post.

May I suggest to have a look into the simple solution of having a moderator copying the original post if it contains quotes? Only a 'global' moderator will have the required permission, though.

Don’t worry about including text cyclops quoted, legio will take care of that. You just have to quote what the system lets you. It’s only to provide a link to the post, and allow legio to see what the post’s content is. He’ll be copying the post from the source more likely and not your submission.
    As much as I enjoy creating more work for Legio, I don't think he has the privileges to edit other people's posts (which is what he'd need to copy the the nominated post in its raw form).

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Not being able to copy quotes when using the 'reply' function is a problem, obviously. I can imagine that the odd post will be suggested not so much because of it's content but rather how it responds to another post.
    Yes. Seeing what a poster is responding to is usually helpful in understanding the context of the discussion.

May I suggest to have a look into the simple solution of having a moderator copying the original post if it contains quotes? Only a 'global' moderator will have the required permission, though.
    I'm obliged to warn you that empowering Legio may have unforeseen consequences.
    Last edited by Cope; March 24, 2020 at 08:13 AM.

Blog Entries

Yeah, it's unlikely Legio will be given the required permissions. I was more thinking of an LM (eg Love Mountain or him) to simply report the original post with a link to where it should be copied. Preferably AFTER coming to an arrangement with moderation in that regard.

Yeah, it's unlikely Legio will be given the required permissions. I was more thinking of an LM (eg Love Mountain or him) to simply report the original post with a link to where it should be copied. Preferably AFTER coming to an arrangement with moderation in that regard.
    Seems overly complicated.

The best solution in my view is just for nominators to manually copy in the relevant quotes. It's a pain but no more of a pain than the comp managers having to liaise with other mods/admins all the time.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I'm with Epic. The onus should be on the nominator to ensure that their nomination is coherent and properly formatted.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Likewise seems unnecessary to bounce between multiple staff to do something the user, if they have the heart, can do themselves. Harms nothing, easy to check if minxed and simplifies the process.

Would be lovely if the forum just did it or had the option to. Thanks vb. Config. Whatever.

Blog Entries

My suggestion was made in view of objections to an 'edit' of posts.

A much, much simpler suggestion: lift index finger, move mouse over post's link, bring index finger down. Read original post.

My suggestion was made in view of objections to an 'edit' of posts.

A much, much simpler suggestion: lift index finger, move mouse over post's link, bring index finger down. Read original post.
    No one wants to move in between ten pages to read all of the nominations.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

I'm obliged to warn you that empowering Legio may have unforeseen consequences.
    He has my axe. (Seriously, he seems like a responsible guy, right?)

Blog Entries

No one wants to move in between ten pages to read all of the nominations.
    My bad - I had totally forgotten about instant gratification.

Seriously? It's too much clicking the link if you thought the post was 'edited'? Obviously the post will be in the nomination, I can't recall suggesting to have a link INSTEAD, merely to use it BEFORE (yeah, instead of) complaining about edits.

It's that little symbol next to the name of the quoted person, btw. Here is a picture in case I haven't been clear enough:

Last edited by Gigantus; March 24, 2020 at 01:16 PM.

This is correct. If a nominator is able to include the given quoted post that a nomination is responding to, I’m certainly grateful for the help. Nonetheless, it is not necessary.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Blog Entries

When I was running the potf, I would quote and copy any nominated post, and quote any text the poster quoted from its original source and paste it in as well.

Eventually, I was given non staff moderator privileges in the DnD so I could edit and copy when I needed. Not sure why Legio wouldn’t already have that tbh.

If I got mod privileges then so should Legio. Thought you would have already known about this though Gig as a Hex?
    Last edited by Aexodus; March 24, 2020 at 07:48 PM.