Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 107

Thread: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

  1. #81
    Gigantus's Avatar I am thinking more about running away now then I did as a kid, but by the time I put my teeth in, my glasses on and find my car keys I forget why I am going.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Goa - India
    Posts
    48,271
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    If I got mod privileges then so should Legio. Thought you would have already known about this though Gig as a Hex?
    A LM has limited moderating permissions in his assigned forum only, including post editing - that is however not what I was alluding to as that would still be the contested editing. To copy the original post (from it's original thread) as I mentioned requires moderating permission in the whole (global) forum, something that won't happen outside of being moderating\admin staff.

    What I do know as ex Hex and ex head of moderation is that editing a post is restricted to parts that violate the ToS - editing as mentioned here (adding content) would cut your appointment drastically short unless agreed upon by the head of moderation\administration. Which makes Legio's stance understandable.
    Hence this earlier suggestion of mine:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Yeah, it's unlikely Legio will be given the required permissions. I was more thinking of an LM (eg Love Mountain or him) to simply report the original post with a link to where it should be copied. Preferably AFTER coming to an arrangement with moderation in that regard.




  2. #82
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Civitate

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    7,239
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    Why was I be given political mudpit mod permissions if Legio won’t?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus

    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

  3. #83
    mishkin's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Tribunal
    Posts
    13,020

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    maybe you should talk privately with Flinchy about this?
    So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:16).

  4. #84
    Gigantus's Avatar I am thinking more about running away now then I did as a kid, but by the time I put my teeth in, my glasses on and find my car keys I forget why I am going.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Goa - India
    Posts
    48,271
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Why was I be given political mudpit mod permissions if Legio won’t?
    Because he is in content (which does not automatically convey moderation powers unless you are a director) and you are in moderation (which automatically gives moderation powers after training therefore)?




  5. #85
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Civitate

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    7,239
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    I was not a staff member when I ran the potf and yet I was given mod powers in the mudpit in order to edit and copy posts.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus

    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

  6. #86
    Gigantus's Avatar I am thinking more about running away now then I did as a kid, but by the time I put my teeth in, my glasses on and find my car keys I forget why I am going.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Goa - India
    Posts
    48,271
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    Then I would suggest to get in touch (and argue the matter) with whoever authorized it at the time.




  7. #87

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    It's that little symbol next to the name of the quoted person, btw. Here is a picture in case I haven't been clear enough:

    You'd be surprised how often that little symbol is messed up or disappears by accident.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

  8. #88
    Gigantus's Avatar I am thinking more about running away now then I did as a kid, but by the time I put my teeth in, my glasses on and find my car keys I forget why I am going.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Goa - India
    Posts
    48,271
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    You'd be surprised how often that little symbol is messed up or disappears by accident.
    I would indeed be surprised as I haven't come across a single instance yet. Given the symbol's size it's possible to misclick it, especially on low resolutions. That can be avoided if one clicks only after it's tool tip (View Post) appears.

    Quotes that do not have that symbol are manual quotes like my example below, the manually added user name may give the impression that it is a 'regular' quote:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus
    Cogito ergo sum
    noparse code: [quote=Gigantus]Cogito ergo sum[/quote]
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 27, 2020 at 08:22 PM.




  9. #89

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I would indeed be surprised as I haven't come across a single instance yet. Given the symbol's size it's possible to misclick it, especially on low resolutions. That can be avoided if one clicks only after it's tool tip (View Post) appears.

    Quotes that do not have that symbol are manual quotes like my example below, the manually added user name may give the impression that it is a 'regular' quote:
    My point is, someone gets a little overzealous with the quote and the number gets screwed up without them realizing and there we go.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

  10. #90
    Gigantus's Avatar I am thinking more about running away now then I did as a kid, but by the time I put my teeth in, my glasses on and find my car keys I forget why I am going.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Goa - India
    Posts
    48,271
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    The number referencing the post (after the username, see noparse below) which triggers the symbol only gets messed up if you actively edit it after using the 'reply with quote' function. ** The number itself is preceded by a semi colon and I am not seeing a reason why you would manually edit that section after using the 'reply with quote' function.

    As such the issue is user created and I don't see a problem with the functionality or usefulness of that function.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Cogito ergo sum
    [quote=Gigantus; 15890702]Cogito ergo sum[/quote]

    ** I have sincere doubts the average user would know how else to get that reference number, I did not use the 'reply with quote' function in my example here, btw.

    Edit: if this is a common occurrence then you could protect the user from him\herself in true win style and issue a 'don't shake nitroglycerin bottle' warning in the competition instructions

    Edit2: but then you are not supposed to edit the quote in the first place, right?
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 27, 2020 at 11:36 PM.




  11. #91
    mishkin's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Tribunal
    Posts
    13,020

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    Sorry, is basics the author of this post, or he just copy pasted an article (from another author)?
    So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:16).

  12. #92
    Imperator Majora's Avatar What's under your mask?
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    The Beyond
    Posts
    1,584
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    It's perhaps the sloppiest quoting I've seen in a good bit. The paste-gunk near the top of his post indicates where everything subsequent is copied and pasted from here. The original content is him mentioning alhoon and naming the article.

  13. #93

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    The number referencing the post (after the username, see noparse below) which triggers the symbol only gets messed up if you actively edit it after using the 'reply with quote' function. ** The number itself is preceded by a semi colon and I am not seeing a reason why you would manually edit that section after using the 'reply with quote' function.

    As such the issue is user created and I don't see a problem with the functionality or usefulness of that function.
    You don't actively edit it. In my industry we call that a typo. Stop assuming malicious intent.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

  14. #94
    Gigantus's Avatar I am thinking more about running away now then I did as a kid, but by the time I put my teeth in, my glasses on and find my car keys I forget why I am going.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Goa - India
    Posts
    48,271
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    You don't actively edit it. In my industry we call that a typo. Stop assuming malicious intent.
    I am not sure were I assume malicious intent, 'sloppy, careless' is what I was driving at. Point is: it's a user crated problem where a problem isn't supposed to be in the first place because using the 'reply with quote' provides that info. I am also not sure why that particular part of the quote bit (the coding) would require an edit to start with.

    But you say 'you don't actively edit it' - can you expand on that because I have no idea what you mean: either you copy the section in original or you edit it. Copying does not change the original, only editing does.

    My thought on typo and actively editing: a typo is typing a wrong character, while not intentional it certainly is actively. The post number reference is a eight digit value, who would type that manually instead of copying? And how do you get that value without copying in the first place? Here is what you get if do a 'copy link location' of the link in your post number (#93, the method I used in my earlier example):

    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?791389-Post-of-the-Fortnight-Competition-Commentary-Thread&p=15890950&viewfull=1#post15890950

    The number at the end is what you need, unlikely anyone is going to type that manually into the quote bit which will be in another tab of the browser or (unlikely again) in a text editor. The only other way to get that value is to use the 'reply with quote' function, which does not require any edit of the value at all and which brings us back to step one: the issue of a faulty link symbol is needlessly user created, whether it's intentional or not is immaterial. That makes the argument against the use of this system function weak at best, but at least we have ruled out that it's not the system that makes it faulty as per your initial argument.
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 01, 2020 at 09:19 PM. Reason: it's eight, not seven digits




  15. #95
    mishkin's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Tribunal
    Posts
    13,020

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    Hey guys, what do you say about an announcement "last days to nominate your favorite post!". too much spam? too much work? (I say it because I am trying to nominate at the last moment to try to see all the possibilities, it just occurred to me that I could pass the deadline).

    Cheers anywat, carry on with the great work.
    So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:16).

  16. #96
    Flinn's Avatar Jokersconi abides...
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Gaming Director

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    12,977
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    let's go by steps...

    First, I apologize for keeping you waiting long, but I was out due to Covid issues in Italy.. however, results or PotF 24 and PotF 25 are now updated, so please everybody joins me in congratulating with Abdülmecid I for getting the bronze medal! Congrats, well deserved!

    Second thing..

    Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    When I was running the potf, I would quote and copy any nominated post, and quote any text the poster quoted from its original source and paste it in as well.

    Eventually, I was given non staff moderator privileges in the DnD so I could edit and copy when I needed. Not sure why Legio wouldn’t already have that tbh.

    If I got mod privileges then so should Legio. Thought you would have already known about this though Gig as a Hex?
    Legio has the same Local Moderation rights that Aexodus had, and they are intended to let him do all the admin actions here in the PotF forum as well as allowing him the possibility to hit the "edit" button so that I could properly copy the quoted texts and include them in the vote thread, nothing more than this; that was the same with Aexodus. Those are the only local moderation powers anyone running he PotF has within the D&D. The person running it (by this time Legio_Italica) and the Moderation Overseers (Tango and Abdul) are all well aware of this. Gig isn't directly informed since he has nothing to do with the PotF

    Last point

    Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Hey guys, what do you say about an announcement "last days to nominate your favorite post!". too much spam? too much work? (I say it because I am trying to nominate at the last moment to try to see all the possibilities, it just occurred to me that I could pass the deadline).
    sometimes we do reminders, sometimes we don't.. however, I know when you are coming from, but please remember that you can still change your nominations until the last moment, so my stance here is: nominate when you see a worthy post, then in case edit the nomination if you find one that is better; also, you have two nominations per round.

    Cheers anywat, carry on with the great work.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22& Socrates1984 & Kilo11 of the Imperial House of Hader

  17. #97
    Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Citizen Censor

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    13,321
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    Thanks for the update Flinn and congrats to Abdul for his new medal. Very well deserved!

    Join the Thema Devia Discord here.
    If you would like a TWC Wiki page made for you click here
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

    Proud Adopted Patron of Cope






  18. #98
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Civitate

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    7,239
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    I used to write a reminder when a new vote thread was up, but either way works
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus

    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

  19. #99
    Protector Domesticus
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    4,693

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    There's a couple posts I want to nominate, but since I agree with their content I won't nominate them so as to avoid any appearance of bias.
    Ignore List (to save time):

    Exarch

  20. #100
    Cope's Avatar 777777777777777
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,655

    Default Re: Post of the Fortnight - Competition Commentary Thread

    Don't worry, no one votes for my posts anyway.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •