Thread: What would the release of Medieval 2 Total War Definitive Edition mean for EB?

Default What would the release of Medieval 2 Total War Definitive Edition mean for EB?

What would the release of Medieval 2 Total War Definitive Edition mean for EB?

Default Re: What would the release of Medieval 2 Total War Definitive Edition mean for EB?

It seems nothing than a pack which includes all DLCs.

If they wont add features to ETW like liberate faction, weather effect, etc or if they dont give a bigger map for NTW, why the heck they release that? and it is named as Definitive edition. Shame!

Default Re: What would the release of Medieval 2 Total War Definitive Edition mean for EB?

Unless they've changed fundamental things in how the mechanics work (especially around hardcoded limits), it would mean nothing whatsoever.

Genava's Avatar Senator

I'm glad to boycott this series since empire. "Definitive edition", definitely lost a customer yes.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Quote Originally Posted by Genava View Post
    I'm glad to boycott this series since empire. "Definitive edition", definitely lost a customer yes.
    me too, everything after Empire sucks... Rome 2, massive disappointment.

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

Shogun II and Fall of the Samurai are actually decent.
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

At least they could have released modding tools for 10-11 years old games!!! ohh I am so furious and disappointed again and again...

Genava's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Morrowgan View Post
    Shogun II and Fall of the Samurai are actually decent.
    When you set your expectation lower, yes they are decent. The modding is horrible, the game is focusing on only one culture, it skips two main historical events that everybody knows: the Mongols invasion and the Imjin war (Korea). They are decent only because they took absolutely zero risk. It is the most unambitious game of the Total War series.

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

Meh I enjoy Shogun II and the Warhammer Series. To each his own I guess

Genava's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by alex33 View Post
    Medieval 2 Total War Vanilla was enjoyable. Mount and Blade was enjoyable. Remove the modding, do you will play it that much?

Edit: my point, the new games of the series is missing one of the key feature I liked and for me their work to make their vanilla games more enjoyable doesn't compete with this missing feature. Plus, I really really hate when a huge company sell a game as a huge beta test for another upcoming game they will sell to the full price (Empire => Napoleon, Rome 2 => Attila). I don't want the game industry to goes in this direction, I don't give a penny to them. It's my own view, sure.
    Last edited by Genava; November 20, 2018 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alex33 View Post
    indeed. cant comment on Warhammer (just not my cup of tea) but Shogun 2 is one of the best vanila games in TW history, imho. i much rather have a fully fleshed out high quality one-culture based game, than a hotchpotch bouquet of poorly conceived and executed 'diversity'. depth beats breath and too much of the latter can actually be detrimental to immersion, making game too obstruct and/or arcadie. M2TW is great once modded, but vanilla Shogun 2 and Thrones stand on their own two feet just fine.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Genava View Post
    I really really hate when a huge company sell a game as a huge beta test for another upcoming game they will sell to the full price (Empire => Napoleon, Rome 2 => Attila)
    Ehm, one of the problems with R2TW/ATW is that the ATW is actually much better as the engine but the time period makes people playing R2TW and the CA making extensions to the R2TW...
    Anyway, my problem with all of the post-M2TW games is the sniping-groups-of-armies tactics that doesn't exist in Medieval 2 (the Thrones limit this tactics, and they have a few really historical mechanisms, like the civil wars / loyalty / legitimacy mechanism).
    From the new "release" is just expect it won't make problems for the mods like the EBII and I don't think it means much.

is there ANY difference in these definitive editions? THe ones of m2 tw, NTW and Empire? Or its literally just the games with all the previously released DLCs?
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Genava's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    is there ANY difference in these definitive editions? THe ones of m2 tw, NTW and Empire? Or its literally just the games with all the previously released DLCs?
    Nope.
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/470...20030695783420
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/medieval-ii...nitive-edition

Now, these Definitive Editions aren’t the 4K overhauls that we’ve seen for Age of Empires (or that are in the works for Command & Conquer and Red Alert). Instead, they’re bundles of the base game and all the DLC released for the title. What this means if you bought one of the base games is that you’ll be gifted all of the DLC free of charge.

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

https://twitter.com/EBTeam/status/1064998216733724672
    I'm 100 % sure they will ignore this but atleast I tried I guess

Well i wasn't getting my hopes up for M2TW, because it's an ancient engine, but i was hoping ETW could receive the RTW2 treatment and get much needed improvements. A pity that CA went the simple free dlc route instead of taking the chance to do more. IMO the best CA games that use warscape are ETW and Attila, i wasn't impressed by Shogun 2 at all no matter how much some people keep praising it.

Civis

Does anyone know if CA said anything about TW3K’s modability? I’m hoping they’ll use and release in-house tools, especially map tools.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I bet you should forget the maps. It's exactly this part that holds back the community to develop other mods and that keeps the CA grip on the business. They just want to sell DLCs. (I'd love to see Thrones of Brittania modded into The Russian Principalities (12-13c.) or the Taifas and Kingdoms (Spain 11c.) but we may just pray to CA it'd do it itself)

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I bet you should forget the maps. It's exactly this part that holds back the community to develop other mods and that keeps the CA grip on the business. They just want to sell DLCs. (I'd love to see Thrones of Brittania modded into The Russian Principalities (12-13c.) or the Taifas and Kingdoms (Spain 11c.) but we may just pray to CA it'd do it itself)
    Them "coughing up" the tool they use to interface with 3DS Max for making maps would benefit the community even if it's only a scant few that even have access to it. Good luck getting CA to do that. Forget the source code, obviously don't care about that, but the tool itself would be the holy grail of modding.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

I would rather shoot myself in the head, than use old 3ds Max again. I would probably pick former in comparison with the newer Max, too, but I'd have to think about it.

Oh, I forgot, since everyone playing this mod has Kingdoms, and almost everyone has Kingdoms, getting it for free changes nothing.
    Last edited by Wolf Priest; December 02, 2018 at 03:07 PM.