Thread: Atropatene roster

Default Atropatene roster

Hello, as i was playing with media atropatene ( i love that faction and rebuilding the persian empire) i thought about some good units that will fit them so they can have a reform and expand its roster.
    1 - like most of its neighbours an thureos swordsmen (like parthians have parto-hellenic thureos, they could have perso-hellenic thureos) after reforms would be cool.
    2- a horse archer unit, there are a lot horse archer factions near and most of the eastern factions are known for it.
    3- an armoured archer spearmen unit maybe too.

also it would be interesting maybe as a submod to be able to confederate with other persian factions to form the persian empire.

What do you think about that ideas?

and thanks for the mod, im really enjoying it

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Atropatene roster

If you really want new units. You will get a lot farther if you can provide historical references on these kinds of units. We are very strict on unit additions to avoid bloated rosters

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

I kind of like their specialized role with the archer/spearmen and the cool jav-cav. I believe their 'gimmick' is that they are the heirs of the old Archaemenid-style armies. Eastern pseudo-Hellenic infantry and horse archers are well covered by other factions. Don't forget to recruit mercs and use area-of-recruitment (AOR) units!

I like the confederation idea, though! I like the idea of any new confederations. The inclusion of Ygrain's Mithridatic Kingdom from the Data Venia mod was most welcome to the main mod.

Also, keep in mind that not all rosters are supposed to be balanced. Some factions legitimately didn't have serious military traditions, so certain faction rosters are a lot easier to play with than others when it comes to battles. On the other hand, you might run into a faction who's roster is a very poor style match-up for your own.
    Last edited by Dead*Man*Wilson; November 19, 2018 at 02:20 PM.

Persian kinsmen lancers have bows, it's just not mentioned in their unit description
    they also already have two armored spear archer units as well
    and their melee infantry is fine
    its a very unique roster that I highly enjoy, adding another typical sword unit to it would almost water it down, in a way
    my only complaint might be a lack of a lightly armored horse archers unit, but I don't know if there's any historical precedent for that

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

In case of horse archers, Persians used Nomadic tribes for that but themselves they prefered javelins.

There are no plans to work on Atropatene at the moment, at least in context of current beta.

We might at one point look at giving them a sort of early Sassanid reform which would be a very late game one, similar to Roman imperial reform, which would give them 2-3 Sassanid inspired units, like better Cataphracts, heavy horse archers and some heavy infantry unit.

In case we ever get to do that, it will not happen soon.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    In case of horse archers, Persians used Nomadic tribes for that but themselves they prefered javelins.

There are no plans to work on Atropatene at the moment, at least in context of current beta.

We might at one point look at giving them a sort of early Sassanid reform which would be a very late game one, similar to Roman imperial reform, which would give them 2-3 Sassanid inspired units, like better Cataphracts, heavy horse archers and some heavy infantry unit.

In case we ever get to do that, it will not happen soon.
    That would be really interesting and i think there are some sassanids units parts from empire divided.

Vardan the Great's Avatar Campidoctor

All is cool but Media Atropatene was not a hair of Achememenid Persia or the predecessor of Sassanid Persia. They have always been extremely passive: at the start of the campaign time frame they were client to Selucids, then Became a client for Armenia and then client for Parthia. I think the best way of reviving the Persian Empire is the conquest/unification of Parni or Iranian States and and a consequent civil war, featuring declaration of Sassanid house to rule followed by a scripted civil war Which can be done with Parthia also. But I think for the timeframe playing as Parthia is good enough. TBH the late Parthian reforms are already kinda too much as they never fully settled and never managed the conquered realms or their empire as a wel defined state we can imagine. This was done by Sassanids only later (in 400 years after the game starts)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    "An unexpected death is a death, an intended death - immortality"
    (c) Vardan Sparapet, before the Battle of Avarayr

I cant comment on rosters but re-creation of Persian Empire via confederation sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by karasis View Post
    I cant comment on rosters but re-creation of Persian Empire via confederation sounds great!
    This makes me wonder can the campaign objectives for victory be altered, like for Parthians to conquer certain areas to recreate the Persian empire etc. or for Romans to create western or eastern empire. At least the Vanilla objectives are kinda vague in general

Vardan the Great's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dumanthis View Post
    This makes me wonder can the campaign objectives for victory be altered, like for Parthians to conquer certain areas to recreate the Persian empire etc. or for Romans to create western or eastern empire. At least the Vanilla objectives are kinda vague in general
    Actually some "Role" related mission featuring sime historical titles for generals and renamed states might bring some soul

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    "An unexpected death is a death, an intended death - immortality"
    (c) Vardan Sparapet, before the Battle of Avarayr