Thread: Rise of the Republic Worth It?

Icon5 Rise of the Republic Worth It?

I'm thinking about buying RoR, but I've heard a lot of horror stories on the Steam boards about crashing, endless ai doomstacks, constant civil wars, etc. Can anyone here give me their impressions of RoR, and maybe make a recommendation up or down?

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Default Re: Rise of the Republic Worth It?

A lot of those issues were resolved in a hot fix. As for whether it's worth it, well it depends on your reasons for buying it. I.e., is it because you're interested in the period, because you want to own all the DLC's, or because you're bored with the grand campaign map and want something different...it can be worth it or not depending on your goal and how much you're willing to spend to meet that goal. For me it was definitely worth it. Favorite DLC by far.
    Last edited by Skotos of Sinope; November 17, 2018 at 09:44 PM.

IMO, it's a good DLC. Probably the best DLC for Rome II. I specially like the faction diversity.
    Playing this campaign on legendary is trully epic.

I am actually very interested in the period, and I think the campaign looks fun and innovative. I was leery because of all of the negative Steam reviews (one guy claimed he literally had a civil war every 5 turns), so I came here to check if those rumors were true or not.

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Quote Originally Posted by LordLurch View Post
    I am actually very interested in the period, and I think the campaign looks fun and innovative. I was leery because of all of the negative Steam reviews (one guy claimed he literally had a civil war every 5 turns), so I came here to check if those rumors were true or not.
    Yeah, I think you'd probably enjoy it then. The civil war issue was tamped down in the hot fix if I recall. One thing you could do is take a look at the patch notes before buying to see what was corrected and what remains an issue. Another thing to keep in mind as far as the Steam reviews go: while many are legitimate criticisms of the RotR, the DLC's release also unfortunately coincided with a spate of "review bombing" on Rome II because of an unrelated political controversy. So the current score may not reflect the DLC's actual merits.
    Last edited by Skotos of Sinope; November 18, 2018 at 09:37 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I enjoy Rise of the Republic a lot. I like the way that agent abilities and research vary by culture, the inclusion of some factions with hybrid rosters, the larger garrisons, the new native units and the way that I've seen other factions being active on the campaign map. In an Insubres campaign, I saw a fluid situation in my part of the campaign map. First the Raeti almost conquered the north-east of Italy, then the Veneti defeated them and seized that whole area. I don't have to go and find enemies, AI factions declare war on me (and each other).

As Skotos said, a hotfix helped with the frequency of civil wars, and unfortunately Rome II's Steam reviews are affected by 'review bombing'. When people struggle with civil wars, it seems that sometimes they aren't using the game's political mechanics. If we hover over a rival faction's loyalty score, we can see what might cause them to break away. We can manage loyalty in different ways. For example, one player may prefer to hire and promote a few commanders from rival families to help prevent secessions (in the game as in real life, nepotism leads to disloyalty), another player may prefer not to hire rival family members so that secessions are less of a problem if they occur. In my experience at least, secessions usually happen when a member of a rival family dies in battle (especially if it's the leader).

Well, I'm sold. I'll try pick up RoR during the Winter Sale to save a few bucks; it looks and sounds really fun. Thanks for the advice! While I'm here, do you have any tips for people who are new to RoR?

I think it's hands down my favorite campaign for Rome 2. The factions, the period, the focused map of Italia; I dig it all. It probably helps that I recently came back to Rome 2 and got this in conjunction with the ancestral update, which up until that point I was unaware of. Politics actually matter now. In regards to your civil war issue, the threat and possibility is still there, but it is manageable if you pay attention to the faction tab. There are several options to take. I'm about to finish my Insubres campaign having successfully avoided a pesky secession!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Could you comment on how the AI behaves? This seemed to be the worst aspect in the reviews I watched some time ago: an empty map, or the armies moving nobody knows where.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Could you comment on how the AI behaves? This seemed to be the worst aspect in the reviews I watched some time ago: an empty map, or the armies moving nobody knows where.
    Do we have a link ?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Do we have a link ?
    I just recall watching a review, this might have been this one.

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

It is very good IF you use WARS OF THE GODS-ANCIENT WARS mod. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=193736354

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I played a Syracuse campaign and the AI was pretty decent.
    In my first try to fight Carthage tried to form a half moon battle line with my general in the center and some flanking forces. The AI ranged troops just ignored my frontline and used my general as pincushion. My general fled, and all my army followed.

And in the campaign map Taras caused me some troubles.
    I was pushing deep into their territory after winning some (I thought) decisive battles. Pushed forward with my two armies, and the AI send a few full stacks flanking my position to take the cities in my back. I rushed a general with a full stack of mercenaries (thankfully I had plenty of money!) and managed to drive them back.

Of course, still does funny or stupid things sometimes. Like not using the superior numbers to attack from every side when attacking settlements.

Clint_Eastwood's Avatar Tiro

To be Honest I second Bran Mac Born's idea of playing the ROTR campaign with "Wars of the Gods" mod as the campaign game is awsome with all the additional units that Toon has added for a number of factions!! Totally immersive and a must have mod to play. I am also struggling to play any other mods as WOTG has me hooked!!!! its like a god damn drug!!! am addicted!!! quick get me to the "Betty Ford Clinic" for Rome 2 game addicts!! hahahaha

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Wars of the Gods is a good drug