Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Have You Changed Your Capital To? (Or Have You Migrated At All??)

Default Where Have You Changed Your Capital To? (Or Have You Migrated At All??)

When this feature came out quite a few months ago now I was surprised how few people realized the potential of this awesome new feature (Or how few seemed to). I did make a post at the time and a fair few others shared my thoughts, now that it has been quite a few months since the feature release I was wondering if this has changed at all.

Have you tried a mass migration of your kingdom such as taking your Parthian horsemen to Egypt or even Gaul?

Or do you prefer to change your capital in a more minor way such as moving it to a more fortified city?

One of the few nations I actually tried a few times with was Parthia. I initially imagined building a single army and trying to go as far West as Carthage itself. To really give the Roman infantry a early test. I didn't make it past Egypt On my second attempt I tried to rush straight to Alexandria without taking any other settlements, again I failed miserably
    I've been wanting to try a Massilian take over of Gaul and establish a Greek kingdom there with my capital in the center so that may be next on my agenda after my current campaign.

But that is just a couple fun campaigns I have attempted and I plan to try many more, surely you have tried or thought about it too? How would you go about it if you even were to a migration?

Hopefully you guys have some cool stories to share!

waidizss's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Where Have You Changed Your Capital To? (Or Have You Migrated At All??)

There's more than one Capital? I just assumed Rome. Wow.
    Data Venia hardcore couch general edition: 'Competent' AI, reworked unit stats, realistic speeds, more planning, more strategy, less arcade, less cheese.

Get that feel that you are campaigning, not simply steamrolling, now only £9.99 monthly subscription for your advanced Lucius Licinius Lucullus' guide to subjugating the east.

Default Re: Where Have You Changed Your Capital To? (Or Have You Migrated At All??)

I enjoy taking my roman civilization and planting it somewhere far, far away in the early game to have a different starting experience. For example, I've tried founding a roman colony in england, egypt, bosphorus, even india. Its a fun way to play a unique campaign.

I usually change capitals if I start off in a minor region, having a main region as capital usually makes more sense even if just from an economic, defensive and population pov.

Quote Originally Posted by Dardo21 View Post
    I usually change capitals if I start off in a minor region, having a main region as capital usually makes more sense even if just from an economic, defensive and population pov.
    To me this makes the most sense. I haven't done it yet but I have thought about playing as Gauls or Iberians and trying to form a cool capital in the middle of Iberia or Gaul. Kind of like a second Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbad View Post
    I enjoy taking my roman civilization and planting it somewhere far, far away in the early game to have a different starting experience. For example, I've tried founding a roman colony in england, egypt, bosphorus, even india. Its a fun way to play a unique campaign.
    That would honestly be really hard for me to do. I can't imagine playing Rome without actually controlling Rome itself. Props to you sir!

Any other cool migrations you've tried or thought to? I'm somewhat close to the end of my playthrough and am looking for ideas.

VektorT's Avatar Biarchus

Isn't the only reason of this feature to change your capital to Rome if you isn't playing Rome from start so you can become Rome yourself later on?

Just kidding. I didn't changed it in my current campaign because my capital still is in the center of my empire. But my next campaign will be with Odrysian Kingdom and changing my capital from the bad starting city may be a necessity. I'm considering Rome as my capital, naturally.

It also helps with naval trade, since you need a clear route from your capital to your port, so if a region has a port, you can just change capital to that location.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

I'm really ignorant in this matter.
    Does changing capital changes something more than region/provincial bonuses?
    If I'm correct in M2TW it changed most of the economical impact.
    If I'm correct in Rome 2 there is no such difference.
    Could be?

EDIT: apart from what Dardo said about port/trade

Well a major region has walls, and it also gets a bonus for population growth, any factional income boni also get applied to your capital.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Dardo21 View Post
    any factional income boni also get applied to your capital.
    Well, but if it's a faction bonus, it should be applied to other settlements too, or am I wrong?

No I mean things like hidden income, although I'm not sure whether or not it would result in a net increase if you receive it in a major region instead.

Patrician

Ah, got it.
    No, don't think they should change since they are fixed values.

I think it's mostly for roleplay/immersion value (apart from the aforementioned trade), but I think it's awesome.

When I played as Armenia, I moved my capital from Tushpa (one of the many random Armenian capitals before the founding of Tigranocerta) to Antioch after I conquered the Seleucids. I changed my government type to Empire shortly after, with that historically important city as my imperial capital. In my Epirus Campaign, I moved the capital to Rome after I conquered it, and made it the seat of my new Alexandrian Empire in the West, from where I plan to conquer Gaul and Carthage.

Moving your capital from a minor town to a major city (esp one of the Special Capital cities) also has symbolic significance for me, as it usually means you gotten powerful enough to raise your faction into a major state. It's not from this time period, but Mehmed II made Constantinople his new capital after he took the city and destroyed the Roman Empire. Historians often choose to define the Conquest of Constantinople as the moment when the Ottoman State became an empire and world power. So for us to be able to do the same in this game is a terrific little feature, and IMO, takes this mod from Amazing to "You need this in your life."

Quote Originally Posted by Devodians View Post
    I think it's mostly for roleplay/immersion value (apart from the aforementioned trade), but I think it's awesome.

When I played as Armenia, I moved my capital from Tushpa (one of the many random Armenian capitals before the founding of Tigranocerta) to Antioch after I conquered the Seleucids. I changed my government type to Empire shortly after, with that historically important city as my imperial capital. In my Epirus Campaign, I moved the capital to Rome after I conquered it, and made it the seat of my new Alexandrian Empire in the West, from where I plan to conquer Gaul and Carthage.

Moving your capital from a minor town to a major city (esp one of the Special Capital cities) also has symbolic significance for me, as it usually means you gotten powerful enough to raise your faction into a major state. It's not from this time period, but Mehmed II made Constantinople his new capital after he took the city and destroyed the Roman Empire. Historians often choose to define the Conquest of Constantinople as the moment when the Ottoman State became an empire and world power. So for us to be able to do the same in this game is a terrific little feature, and IMO, takes this mod from Amazing to "You need this in your life."
    THIS 100%!!

To me almost every single campaign is about the role play behind it. Sometimes its a bit more important than others especially with factions I really really love. I actually have never fully finished a grand campaign in any TW game O.O Instead I usually play until I develop a new love for a different faction and can't wait to play them or where my nation becomes too "steamrolly". Basically coming up with my own victory conditions makes it so much more enjoyable. I completely agree 100% on moving the capital to a historically important city. For example I have thought about recreating a Babylonian kingdom as Parthia, Armenia or even one of the Arab nations by having my kingdom located around Selecuia (However it is spelt ) as the city is in the same area as Babylon was (At least from what I see on the campaign map).

Do you have any other ideas to try?
    I've also thought about doing Pontus or Pergamon and creating a Anatolian kingdom, fighting the Greeks coming from the West and then the numerous enemies to the East. And then you would even have to face Egypt, the Selecuids and the northern hordes of nomads. So many possibilities!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    I'm really ignorant in this matter.
    Does changing capital changes something more than region/provincial bonuses?
    If I'm correct in M2TW it changed most of the economical impact.
    If I'm correct in Rome 2 there is no such difference.
    Could be?

EDIT: apart from what Dardo said about port/trade
    I don't know the specifics but I know Dresden posted when this feature was first released that one of the main benefits is your population has a hidden growth bonus.

EDIT: To be honest I see this feature more as a role play tool than purely just for stat boosting and what not.

It's not hidden, if you check your capital and look at the population growth it will show the capital bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLonelyEmperor View Post
    THIS 100%!!

To me almost every single campaign is about the role play behind it. Sometimes its a bit more important than others especially with factions I really really love. I actually have never fully finished a grand campaign in any TW game O.O Instead I usually play until I develop a new love for a different faction and can't wait to play them or where my nation becomes too "steamrolly". Basically coming up with my own victory conditions makes it so much more enjoyable. I completely agree 100% on moving the capital to a historically important city. For example I have thought about recreating a Babylonian kingdom as Parthia, Armenia or even one of the Arab nations by having my kingdom located around Selecuia (However it is spelt ) as the city is in the same area as Babylon was (At least from what I see on the campaign map).

Do you have any other ideas to try?
    I've also thought about doing Pontus or Pergamon and creating a Anatolian kingdom, fighting the Greeks coming from the West and then the numerous enemies to the East. And then you would even have to face Egypt, the Selecuids and the northern hordes of nomads. So many possibilities!
    When I start a new campaign, I'm thinking about trying the Medewi (Kush). Holding off because I hear the DEI team is adding new units to the roster. The early campaign would be to conquer the Ptolemies and "reclaim" Egypt/Africa, and make Alexandria the new capital of my Empire of the Nile.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLonelyEmperor View Post
    That would honestly be really hard for me to do. I can't imagine playing Rome without actually controlling Rome itself. Props to you sir!

Any other cool migrations you've tried or thought to? I'm somewhat close to the end of my playthrough and am looking for ideas.
    One time I had Baktria migrate to Spain and set up shop there. It was very interesting battles, but it took like 100 turns just to make the march :/

There’s another significant benefit not mentioned yet. Posting your faction leader in the capital (or having him non-assigned) usually gives some pretty good faction-wide benefits. Having a general posted in a city also gets them experience per turn. And lastly, any general, but especially the faction leader, and give pretty massive economic benefits to a province. So putting those together, changing your capital to your primary economic powerhouse allows you to hold the faction-wise benefits while gaining experience that you can put to upgrading his economy-boosting skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbad View Post
    One time I had Baktria migrate to Spain and set up shop there. It was very interesting battles, but it took like 100 turns just to make the march :/
    waaaattt

That's hectic man I don't know if its possible to go much further than you did Baktria was never one of the factions I found interest in playing sadly but its great to hear of your epic migration!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast