Thread: RTR 8 or 7

Civis

Icon5 RTR 8 or 7

Which should I go with? It's to my understanding that RTR7 has a smaller scope but what I'm interested in are game mechanics. Which, in your opinion, has the better refined game mechanics? Which has more difficult campaign?

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: RTR 8 or 7

Quote Originally Posted by OJ33DA View Post
    Which should I go with? It's to my understanding that RTR7 has a smaller scope but what I'm interested in are game mechanics. Which, in your opinion, has the better refined game mechanics? Which has more difficult campaign?
    Both RTR7 and RTR8 have their own pros and cons, you should try yourself to check the differences and see which suits you better.

RTR8 was inspired by EB in terms of unit costs and overall economy system. Also it has been tuned to essentialy lower AI stack spam as good as possible, keeping game pace slow and armies small.

RTR7 has its own unique resource/trade mechanic, with quite high unit costs and significantly longer battles. Not only the battles are tough, but campaign as well, especially if you not get used to the system.

I think generally RTR7 campaign is harder, but RTR8 is somewhat more stable.

Also there's Fortuna Orbis mod which is basically RTR7 on Grand Campaign Map with new factions introduced like India and Belgae.
    Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music

Civis

I've noticed the Fortuna Orbis mod but I see that it's still in beta. Should I go with FO or stick with RTR7?

EDIT: I see that non-binary person made a platinum version of RTR though judging from the comments, it's somewhat unstable. Should I go along with this version and just push through the CTDs?
    Last edited by OJ33DA; November 26, 2018 at 07:11 PM.
    ----- ---------
    HACKING INTO THE MAINFRAME!!!

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

OJ33DA
    Fortuna Orbis is pretty much playable and quite stable mod. At least I had two enjoyable campaigns in it as Celtiberians and Belgae.
    I'm afraid FO won't receive any updates anymore so it will stay beta.

Personally I'd not recommend non-binary's submod if you do care about stability and your patience as well. Until he fixes CTD's, do not play or there will be a lot of frustration.

Choosing between RTR7 and FO, I'd also consider comparing their general difficulty.
    FO is much harder at the beginning, but it becomes rewarding later at some point. You just need to be a little bit tricky when expanding your little kingdom with very strong rebels surrounding you.
    RTR7 start is easier, but may be somewhat annoying for some factions (i.e. Carthage, Rome and Epirus where you have to deal with big scripted battle just at the beginning of the campaign).

Final choice is up to you.
    Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music