Thread: Few questions about NTW3 mod

Icon4 Few questions about NTW3 mod

Hello there

I'm new on the forum ! Recently I have unistalled Darthmod because I wanted to try NTW3. First of all I have to say that its a great mod. Uniforms are great, firing sound are also great but I have few questions about it :
    - is it normal that many unit have a very bad accuracy ? It took around 3 minutes for my 3 spanish infantry line to destroy one british infantry line...
    - why when units are running they are « walking » slowly and why cannons are very slow to move and fire ?

Sometimes the game crash for no reasons and I know i'm not alone with these small crash. In general, the mod is great but the accuracy (in my opinion) is terrible. Also the speed of running it look like they are just walking. I hope i'll get an answer !

Thanks a lot,
    Ben

Biarchus

Default Re: Few questions about NTW3 mod

All I can tell you is, welcome to the big league's. NTW3 is NOT eye candy. It's not vanilla, it's a mod dedicated to historical accuracy.

You really think cannons moved with such speed and grace as an M1 Abrams tank? C'mon. You are embarking on one the top 5 Total War mods ever created.

Your worried about your 3 Spanish units taking so long to rout 1 British unit? When those " limey" bastards were renown for their high morale and discipline in battle at that time, and those kind of things are reflected in unit stats. You see where I'm going with this?

This is not a mod where your going to steamroll over anything you want. You better know your units, their strengths and weaknesses. This mod is about tactics and employing them properly.

Wait till you gain the courage to face a human opponent.You think you had a rough time with 1 British line unit? Wait till you were not paying attention while picking your units in the pre battle menu, and you picked units that can't square. All of a sudden, here comes some Grognard like Melet, coming at you with French heavy cav, and you can't square. Nor do you have the frame of mind to get into position to offer that cav with a full frontal line volley, your " F, d." Or wait till you have to try and take on the " SIGGY BLOB" with inferior line infantry units.

Long and short of it is, this is not Darthmod, nor vanilla, nor any other variation of NTW that does not concentrate on tactical advantages/disadvantages. Good luck and welcome to the best there is in Napoleonic Gaming Warfare.

Disclaimer: Ztrain909 is not a paid marketer for NTW3, nor has he received any benefits form the Lordz Modding Collective other than an absolute beating whenever he attempts to play a mp classic online match. Especially against those damn Grognard " froggies."

Quote Originally Posted by ztrain909 View Post
    All I can tell you is, welcome to the big league's. NTW3 is NOT eye candy. It's not vanilla, it's a mod dedicated to historical accuracy.

You really think cannons moved with such speed and grace as an M1 Abrams tank? C'mon. You are embarking on one the top 5 Total War mods ever created.

Your worried about your 3 Spanish units taking so long to rout 1 British unit? When those " limey" bastards were renown for their high morale and discipline in battle at that time, and those kind of things are reflected in unit stats. You see where I'm going with this?

This is not a mod where your going to steamroll over anything you want. You better know your units, their strengths and weaknesses. This mod is about tactics and employing them properly.

Wait till you gain the courage to face a human opponent.You think you had a rough time with 1 British line unit? Wait till you were not paying attention while picking your units in the pre battle menu, and you picked units that can't square. All of a sudden, here comes some Grognard like Melet, coming at you with French heavy cav, and you can't square. Nor do you have the frame of mind to get into position to offer that cav with a full frontal line volley, your " F, d." Or wait till you have to try and take on the " SIGGY BLOB" with inferior line infantry units.

Long and short of it is, this is not Darthmod, nor vanilla, nor any other variation of NTW that does not concentrate on tactical advantages/disadvantages. Good luck and welcome to the best there is in Napoleonic Gaming Warfare.

Disclaimer: Ztrain909 is not a paid marketer for NTW3, nor has he received any benefits form the Lordz Modding Collective other than an absolute beating whenever he attempts to play a mp classic online match. Especially against those damn Grognard " froggies."
    Thank you for the fast answer and the welcome, I appreciate. Now, I have good answers about my questions. I know this mod is a great mod and one of the best. I just want to let you know that sometimes, the game crash suddently without any error message and I know it happen to few other players. I'm curious if there are going to be more minors factions playable in the futurs !

Regards,
    Ben

Lord Davn's Avatar Senator

Nice explanation Z, you could do the play-by-play broadcasts for the Sox

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

The mod is not about tactics-because there is NO AI-just scripted behaviour-IN FACT there is no Ai to speak of in Napoleon Total War at all. A child-a small hamster or a little kitten could beat the "AI" of any Total War game-it is that stupid-cause there is no there there. So multiplayer is your only option. There is no real strategy in these games-they have no depth-they are arcade war games-very arcade. Mods can only take then to the state of playable and barely. Laughable as this game and Empire were never finished-they just took your money and ran. CA is a very dishonest company-they lie lie lie and make broken games. This is a fun multiplayer mod-so enjoy the multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by IronCross1813 View Post
    Hello there

I'm new on the forum ! Recently I have unistalled Darthmod because I wanted to try NTW3. First of all I have to say that its a great mod. Uniforms are great, firing sound are also great but I have few questions about it :
    - is it normal that many unit have a very bad accuracy ? It took around 3 minutes for my 3 spanish infantry line to destroy one british infantry line...
    - why when units are running they are « walking » slowly and why cannons are very slow to move and fire ?

Sometimes the game crash for no reasons and I know i'm not alone with these small crash. In general, the mod is great but the accuracy (in my opinion) is terrible. Also the speed of running it look like they are just walking. I hope i'll get an answer !

Thanks a lot,
    Ben
    Chief reason why everything feels sluggish is mostly the mod is heavily scaled, so assuming medium unit scale (recommended) your ~130 man unit represents a regiment with around 1:6 manpower scale, and range IIRC is scaled around 1:3, so at max range it's supposed to simulate ~200m or so range. Once you get used to the idea of scaling and use your imagination a bit, it's no longer as unnatural but unfortunately it's not necessarily obvious unless you read the documentation or be aware of that idea to begin with. As for crashes, there is not much you can do about it but unfortunately it is still fairly common issue in NTW3 SP.

Quote Originally Posted by ztrain909 View Post

To be fair, in NTW3 SP tactics are redundant since the AI doesn't really handle the mod's features that well, which results in quite hilarious (or silly) situations that you can still win full AI stack with only 4x units with relatively minimal casualties, and this is even accounting it's not like TW AI is pinnacle of challenge. As for multiplayer, if we're pedantic you could cheese quite a bit of things in the game if you are aware how Warscape engine handles certain interactions and you just read what morale debuffs values are in the mod (and ideally know when they are applied), but of course whether you want to go that far or setup natrolleonic cheeseburger is another question.