Thread: Amendment - Substantially Similar Amendments Amendment

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default Amendment - Substantially Similar Amendments Amendment

Current text in the Constitution .....

Section II - The Curia
    Article III - Resolutions
    subsection/footnote 12 - If any resolution fails a vote, no re-vote on a substantially similar resolution will be permitted within twenty-eight days

I propose changes to the subsection/footnote 12 so that it reads ..

No substantially similar resolutions may be proposed simultaneously. If any resolution fails a vote, no re-vote on a substantially similar resolution will be permitted within twenty-eight days.

The intent here is to relieve the clutter in Prothalamus produced by overlapping and competing amendments and/or proposals. I would suggest that the Curator be the judge as to the content and suggest proposals that follow substantially similar material be shelved.
    Last edited by Gaius Baltar; October 30, 2018 at 08:25 PM. Reason: edit issue

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Amendment - Substantially Similar Amendments Amendment

I agree with the sentiment, especially given the recent deluge of proposals being belabored to the point of curial exhaustion but, proposal counter proposal is a corner stone of the curia.

If this was a willful plagiarism clause, I'd support it. Though if the prefect act passes you could simply amend that to make it less exploitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Zandt View Post
    Current text in the Constitution .....

Section II - The Curia
    Article III - Resolutions
    subsection/footnote 12 - If any resolution fails a vote, no re-vote on a substantially similar resolution will be permitted within twenty-eight days

I propose changes to the subsection/footnote 12 so that it reads ..

No substantially similar resolutions may be proposed simultaneously. If any resolution fails a vote, no re-vote on a substantially similar resolution will be permitted within twenty-eight days.

The intent here is to relieve the clutter in Prothalamus produced by overlapping and competing amendments and/or proposals. I would suggest that the Curator be the judge as to the content and suggest proposals that follow substantially similar material be shelved.
    This would have blocked Halie from making his "prefect act" in lieu of my Praefectus Creation Act.

In the US Congress, similar bills are introduced all the time. The bills are generally discussed by a committee and a single bill will emerge to be considered by the whole house. The only tie there is an issue is if the Senate passes a similar bill. The process is a bit muddled which ends up being debating again in a joint committee. Essentially the Curia is both committees as a whole and committee.

I should note that I have abandoned all of my proposals that dealt specifically with Citizens referrals. There is only one amendment which contradicts with one other amendment and that is the Perfect Act and the Global Moderation Act. It could be argued that the Dual Curators proposal also contradict, but there isn't anything in that proposal that prohibits the hiring of a Prefect.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Wouldn’t this mean if two users had similar ideas, it would simply be a race to get theirs in the prothalmos first? Opposed.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Or they could, like Iskar, HS and me did, simply have a good conversation, brain storm the proposal and put something together as a team, then proposed by one of them.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

This proposal can be archived ....

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Closed and archived.