Thread: Proposal: Adopting the Standard Map from the Hanzhishang ("Waning of Han") Mod into ROTK

Civis
    Clarke Institute of Psychiatry (CAMH), Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Default Proposal: Adopting the Standard Map from the Hanzhishang ("Waning of Han") Mod into ROTK

I have had the honor of engaging in some lengthy exchange of ideas with Master Gigantus on the issue pertaining to the prospect of upgrading ROTK's map. As the discussions on this subject matter is slowly snowballing, I find it more appropriate to move what started off as a random inquiry on a glitch reporting thread to a new thread, since it's a standalone conversion that many players may find interesting.

So Let's cut to the chase: the issue is about the map. In order to have a better explanation of the matters at hand, it's necessary give a brief re-captioning of ROTK's history. That's how it goes:

Unbeknownst to many players, the evolutionary ancestor of ROTK is a Chinese mod called Sanguo ("Three Kingdom") Total War - a RTW based mod first developed in 2006. The team behind it is a veteran Chinese mod developer known as ZhuZi("Pillar") Studio. The mod had millions of players in China but was largely unheard of in the West. Starting from 2011, the Pillar team commenced an ambitious project of converting Sanguo TW to M2TW based platform. The product born of it was christened with a poetic name: Hanzhishang ("the Waning of Han" - it sounds far more elegant and classy in Chinese). The beta testing was wrapped up in Feb 2013 and the first official version was slated to roll out in later summer. It was then and there, ROTK team and Pillar crossed paths. Long story, ROTK title was launched on TWC forum in May 2013. Three months later, the first version of official Hanzhishang - Hanzhishang 1.03 rolled out in China. Apart from its countless novel features and contents, it also recycled and re-adapted some of materials from Sanguo TW. The new map is such a re-adaptation, which is four times the size of Sanguo map but otherwise similar. However, that was only the start. Over years Hanzhichang mushroomed in China into a huge clan of mods/submods, with the map design generally stabilized around the landmark one produced for Hanzhishang 1.04 in 2015. In comparison with the old Sanguo map dated to 2007, the standard map of Hanzhishang 1.04 is not only X4 in size, but also boasts a cornucopia of new features, embellishments, optimizations, wonders, and, of course, regions - it has 188 regions as opposed to Sanguo' 150. It was the product of years of painstaking improvements. In my personal experiences, I had the opportunities of playing both the old RTW-based Sanguo mod, and various versions of Hanzhishang. When I came across ROTK mod on TWC with the rough info that its team had cooperation with the Pillar, I took it for granted that it would be more or less an English version of Hanzhishang.

I was wrong. The illustrious team of ROTK under the leadership of the mighty Gigantus (who is the King of Modding, as far as I am concerned) had carried out some most exalted works of independent modding, which brought about a mod awesomely distinctive in numerous regards. Then there came the shock: when I entered the campaign for the first time, I was hit by an eerie sensation of deja vu - the map evoked a figment of memory that hearkened to my childhood in the time of yore... OK... maybe not that far back, but still quite far: it's almost exactly the same map adopted into Sanguo TW for RTW in 2007 - 11 years ago. Why on earth would ROTK not use the far larger and more detailed Hanzhishang map? I posted the question for Gigantus, who graciously replied that they simply had not seen the Hanzhishang map before, as during their brief and rather bumpy cooperation with the Pillar team (I will get back to that later), the Hanzhishang map was simply not made available to them. With the cooperation essentially going kaput by the end of 2013, the two modding teams went separate ways. All they were able to acquire from the Pillar team was the ancient Sanguo map, which was given some minor adjustments and stay as the campaign map until this day.

Ouch!

What I'd like to say upon such a realization is what I actually replied to Gigantus:

It seems I previously had some misunderstanding: I assumed the authorization you obtained was for Hanzhishang itself. Now it seems you only got the permission for converting to M2TW platform the original RTW based Sanguo Total War. That's a bit of a bummer ...
    Had you guys started off with Hanzhishang as the original vanilla materials, the current ROTK mod would be up on a whole new level of play-ability. I can't help but feeling a bit rueful about that drawback concerning the map: in terms of the soldier models, battle systems and campaign triggers, ROTK is progressing well abreast of all the other Hanzhishang variants (even ahead of them in many ways). Yet the single handicap of the stone-age quality map is just too crippling (it's only 1/4 as large with far fewer cities and features, and the overall level of nuance is equally bare-boned in comparison). For anyone who had seen the standard Hanzhishang map, the current ROTK campaign map (based on Sanguo TW map developed in 2007) just feels too vintage to even inspire interest in playing it. (Unless the player has never seen a Hanzhishang map, so he is simply unaware of stark contrast and feels no discomfort.) It's particularly ironical that ROTK is the only China-based M2TW mods currently existing in the world that uses a RTW age map. There are a whole bunch of China-based mods currently popular among the Chinese players on Chinese mod forums... they are developed by totally different teams with totally different concepts, aesthetics units, scenarios, play styles, etc. Yet all of them seem to have developed their respective maps of China on the basis of the original Hanzhishang map... (In other words, that map is now the "grandfather map" for all China based M2TW mods.) I doubt many of them even bother with the issue of authorization, as that grandfather map seems to have become a piece of open resources that every modding teams simply picks up and tinkers with to their hearts' satisfaction. So far ROTK team is the only one that clings onto the avoidance of the Hanzhishang map.
    Given that, I kinda wonder:
    Does the team have any plan of acquiring the Hanzhishang map and incorporating it into ROTK's future versions? If that's too time consuming, given the hectic work of having to re-enter all the co-ordinates for all the campaign script triggers, could you simply borrow Hanzhishang's (or its variants') existing campaign script along with the map, and give it some less-labour intensive customization? Bear in mind that the vanilla Hanzhishang and its myriad variants all have their own impressively designed campaign scripts that pretty much delivers everything ROTK has on offer, and even above and beyond, such as the character capturing feature that allows the conqueror of a faction to acquire all its historical characters (including the killed, who would be resurrected), or the empire creation feature that allows a player to turn into a new faction (Cao clan becoming Wei, for example) once it meets the condition of declaring its own empire (in a way similar to the re-forging of Arnor in the Third Age mod), or the acquisition of historical elite units upon triggering major historical battles - just to name a few. If the ROTK team can do that it will be building on the shoulder of a giant - introducing the mighty Hanzhishang mods with all its glory to international players who can't read Chinese, retaining its awesome features (the map in particular), while adding unique bonus contents on top.
    So in short, I laid out reasons as to why Hanzhishang map might be more desirable and inquired about the possibility of its adoption by ROTK.

Master Giganus response was No and Yes (sort of):

As to the Hanzishang map: I have to admit that I have never seen it. Nor would I consider using it - but that's simply my ego as mapper. In this mod the initial goal was to transfer the RTW map (and UI) as close as possible to the original, including wonders that are not coded anymore as they are in RTW.

Simply copying map files and tinkering a bit with them just isn't my style. I rather create a map from scratch down to proper placement of vegetation and trade resources, sourcing my own terrain files etc.

If Seether still has energy after this stint then we might toss some idea around about what could be an interesting challenge for a new project.
    I totally understand Master Gigantus reluctance regarding "simply copying and tinkering a bit" - that's what made him great. (Although I am a bit confused by what seems to be a little paradox here, as in the previous paragraph he just admitted that the current ROTK map is exactly the copied and tinkered version of the old Sanguo map. Not sure how the ego was Ok with "copying and tinkering" one map but not the other...)
    I also am critically aware of the labors such a re-adaption would require, for it would necessitate the re-assignment of all coordinates in the campaign script and region files - easier said than done.

To my delight, however, Master Gigantus did imply the possibility of doing something with the Hanzhishang map. Later Master Seether also replied to the thread. Although he listed his concerns, he also agreed to have a discussion on the Dev Forum.

That sounds encouraging!

My immense gratitude for the two Masters' open-mindedness and earnestness!

On my part, I think I can further this conversation by relating the ideas of the proposal to other players on the forum and sharing with them some background information that I happen to have access to. I am sure it will help garner some insightful thoughts on the subject matter from other fans of ROTK.

I will upload some pictures of the Hanzhishang map in its actual in-game appearance in my next posting.
    Last edited by moralrelativism; October 28, 2018 at 05:28 PM.

Civis
    Clarke Institute of Psychiatry (CAMH), Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Default Re: Proposal: Adopting the Standard Map from the Hanzhishang ("Waning of Han") Mod into ROTK

(I originally posted the following contents under a thread called "Stack Spam Script" - I am copying them here)

Let me clarify something first: there is in fact a link exiting on the forum directed to the download of the original Hanzhishang 1.03 (Surprise!) However, some discernment is called for when assessing these old files.

As explained earlier, Hanzhishang 1.03 is the earliest official post-beta version that came out more than 5 years ago. For those who have not been following up with Hanzhishang's development, the situation one needs to bear mind is that the mod has been undergoing continual updates and upgrades over the past years, during which substantial new features/contents had been steadily added in. If we take a look at my game, which is a submod that uses the standard map of Hanzhishang 1.04 (rolled out in 2015), here is what we can see:

Yanzhou (Lubu's home turf):

The mountain terrain with two red Chinese characters slapped on top reads: Taishan (the famous Tai Mountain)
    All of the Five Mountains (Wuyue) are treated as wonders like that

Central Yizhou (Liu Bei's final base):

The city in the center is Chengdu

Youzhou (Areas around Beijing):

The city in the center is Ji (Beijing). The Pass on the Great Wall in the north is the famous Juyong Pass

Hetao (The territory of nomadic Xiongnu):

If we compare that standard map of Hanzhishang with the current ROTK map (which is based on the Sanguo map developed 11 years ago), here is how they respectively look like with Cao Cao' home base zoomed out at the highest camera angle:

Sanguo map:

Hanzhishang 1.04 Standard Map:

According to Hanzhishang's official introduction, the map is X4 as large as the ancient Sanguo map (in other words twice the distance). It has 188 regions (as opposed to Sanguo's 150). The greatly expanded distance makes for far more diverse and nuanced game play, for it not only allows for the addition of more settlements (especially the special ones such as the Passes and the historical sites), but also make the map far less swarmed with characters, leaving more space for open field battles, and making the supply system more relevant.

Since the launching of Hanzhishang back in 2013, it has spawned at least 3 families of major sub-mods, all of which sport some radical overhauls and unique customization. (I will give a more detailed account on that subject in a follow-up posting). The one I have access to is the Sishuiliu2016-EndofYear version of the famous Sishuiliu submod, which is itself the descendant of the SM mod (the latest version SM1.2), which is based on the official Hanzhishang 1.04. (Hanzhishang applies a small numerical scale in its cataloguing of versions - the leap from 1.03 to 1.04 took two years to develop, and is as enormous as the one from Stainless Steel 6.0 to Stainless Steel 6.4). As mentioned earlier, my Chinese language ability is quite limited (I don't have ethnic connections with China; I did however once take Chinese lessons in university and had been to China as an exchange student). As the result I am unable to roam the Chinese total war forums with as much ease as I am able to do here. (Adding to the hassle is the extremely complicated registration process and the XP-based access granting mechanism for downloadable materials that seem to be a fixture of every Chinese mod platforms). I therefore am incapable of obtaining the latest and most advanced version at this point. On a side note, since we are talking about Chinese modding, an intriguing (and ultimately dismaying) paradox is that Chinese modders had developed a wide range of stunningly high quality M2TW mods based on the rich history of China over the past years, only to have their tremendous potential of gaining recognition - genuinely warranted by their impressive outputs - undercut by the prevailing attitude of indifference to the international community. (I guess one potential obstacle is their community's lack of English speaking modders).

The point I try to make here is that the Hanzhishang based coalition of families of mods in the Chinese modding community is akin to the Third Age mod or the EBII mod on this forum - they are as prodigiously popular and prestigious as they are productive in progressing and prolific in propagating progeny. I myself am not even catching up with the latest development. (On that subject, the latest submod features a map expanded southward all the way to the Hainan Island and Eastward to include the Korean peninsula). Yet even the submod I play(i.e. the one I screen-cut these pictures from), which is nearly two years old, is light years ahead of the original Hanzhishang 1.03. We simply can't judge Hanzhishang's current state of development based on the initial semi-prototype.

Default Re: Proposal: Adopting the Standard Map from the Hanzhishang ("Waning of Han") Mod into ROTK

Do you have a photo with sun clan location? I am curious how it's looking.

This has already been settled. While the map is bigger... that is it. It's been expanded two-fold and has a bunch of dead space. I personally would not mind a bigger map, but it is not a big issue for me when I play. And if Seeker wishes to take upon that harsh task it would no doubt be appreciated. However, it is not needed as the mod is very nicely fleshed out, and it is not even in it's final stage yet.

Otterbear's Avatar Tiro

Having done a bit of map editing in the past myself; the task of changing to a new map isn't all that hard, it is however, tedious in the extreme, and very prone to mistakes being made. Add to that the very large script files in ROTK and that tedium would probably border on nightmarish.Every city, region, initial unit placement, wonder, ect, would have to have its coordinates adjusted in the many related files to compensate, every river and ocean tile would need proper smoothing. All of that for a bit more space(?).Should one choose to attempt to do this; one can anticipate adding YEARS to the development, and beta testing of ROTK. As I believe Gigantus has mentioned, this would be best done from the beginning, thus avoiding all the previously mentioned adjustments.I myself have the modding ability to convert this mod to the Hanzhishang map, and may attempt it in future; but it is a monumental task. I am also unsure as to the effect on turn times, ect... If converting over would increase turn-times, load-times and game/system-load...it may well have a negative-sum effect on the mod itself. Again, all that work for a less-than-optimal game, with more space.If you desire this new map as much as you seem too, it isn't all that hard to do.(Just very tedious), you could do it yourself.(Seriously), I'm not trying to sound like I'm getting on you about it. But, it is do-able...if you have the time and patience. I'm just not sure the payout would be worth all the work. You may find yourself getting very tired of messing with it, and quit the project altogether. Something that I believe the devs of ROTK may be trying to avoid as well. Simply creating ROTK has probably had them wanting to "take a break" many times, and that is without the added workload of re-doing the map.Anyway, I like the idea of a larger map. I just have a bit of experience with map editing, and I do not see it happening anytime soon, unless someone with a lot of time on their hands, and maybe a prescription for Adderall, comes along. Another nice touch, is the way the M2TW does not tell you, most of the time, what error has just caused it to crash. So, every time you make a change, you can imagine the task of finding what isn't working, and why. Over, and Over, and OVER! So, yea, maybe I should have added a prescription to pain-killers as well.If you get the time, you might want to watch this video from the lead developer of the TATW, sub-mod, Divide and Conquer. While a good portion of it is about his mod, near the end he does address the issue of changing the map size, and it related challenges. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vgQ3HsH-nQ Start at time 38:55 to get his answer to that question.Hope this helped at bit.
    Last edited by Otterbear; October 30, 2018 at 09:05 AM.