Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll - EB New Units

Default Re: Poll - EB New Units

A - I think the Brettioi are getting a change in the AOR as we agreed before.
    B - you're referring to the Vojinos, aren't you? Agreed, should be named Proto-Slavic probably (tribes of Neuri and Budini). i don't know if there's a better term to define these "farmer Scythians", do you suggest one?

As I'm in charge of the unit balancing, I can't address the other points you raise.

Proto-Slavic.
    Proto-Balts might be better. As recent research pointed out, Slavs emerged around I century bc- mid III century ad from a ethnic melting pot of baltic, germanic and iranian speaking tribes displaced by Goths on their slow migration march to the Black Sea. Baltic tribes lived in that area from the Baltic to the Oka and the Volga springs region and down to the steppes' border at that time, at least since VI century bc, and were assimilated by Slavs when their expansion begun in Attila's times - with some remarkable exceptions.
    Those lost tribes, like the Slavs, had a big agricultural tradtition, so most likely they were the Aratores Scythes Herodorus referred to.
    Sourcebook "Balti, il popolo dell'ambra - alle radici dei prussiani, lituani, lettoni e iatvinghi".

Thanks.
    Last edited by Uesugi1971; November 08, 2018 at 11:20 PM.

The one article you cite has been published quite some time ago on a divulgative periodical... It's almost 20 years old by now, not exactly "recent".

At this point I'd prefer to follow Tarasov ("The Balts in the Migration Period", 2017) and call them "Eastern Baltic", provided they were connected to the population that gave birth to the Zarubintsy culture and was overrun/subjugated/pushed away by the early-ish Sarmatian migrations of the 1st Century AD. I don't know what the original creators of this unit had in mind, but by looking at the AOR in EB I guess they correspond to what Tarasov calls "Eastern Baltic" people. Would you be satisfied with this name?
    Last edited by mephiston; November 09, 2018 at 05:47 AM.

Well, we don't really know. After all what defines ethnicity exactly is language, and dead unfortunately will be silent forever.
    They were not Slavs for sure, that's clear. So we may agree on that compromise name. There are other units of baltic spears in AoR system, right?

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by b0Gia de Bodemloze View Post
    This is generic or specific units. Please give more details and screenshots.
    Alas, I don't have EB 1.2 installed and I believe 1.3 adds short_pike to most hoplite units, so the issue won't be apparent unless short_pike is taken out (short_pike units lift their spears parallel to the ground) which is what mephiston plans on doing anyways; instead, I have provided a screenshot taken from Jirisys' submod page:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As you can see, the spears are stabbing straight through the ground. Now I'm no historian but I know there's something wrong with having spears that huge, especially when they clip through the floor, however, if the OG EB team left the units like this intentionally (maybe because hoplitai really did have spears that huge but there was no workaround) then I'll shut my mouth real quick, but the reason I brought this up is because mephiston plans on removing short_pike.

This has been a known issue, and it's possible to solve it only by modifying the 3D skeleton or giving the unit short_pike (the latter being an example of a remedy worse than the disease). AFAIK, as long as the unit stands still or fights the problem isn't noticeable, so I guess it's not on top of the priority list for the modellers at the moment.

Hoplites did have a rather long spear, of course, and we must keep in mind also that the medium height more than two thousan years ago was a lot lower than now.

Civis

How’s the errr.. work going? May I ask what changes are planned besides new units and rebalance?

I think Romani should be able to recruit Rhodian slingers, I am pretty sure they used them as Auxilia against Parthia but I could be wrong.

Besides that maybe some variation in Italic people's units as reforms pass. During the social wars they were likely equipped similar to a marian cohort except for different shields and belts right?

I know this is off topic but you guys should really add events like "A carthaginian army has been spotted in transalpine Gaul" or "The Socii are rebelling due to disenfranchisement" to help balance the singleplayer campaign. It's stupidly easy, the only challenges come from the ludicrously veteran "roaming generals" that some eleutheroi have. Maybe an event can be triggered if you conquer all of sicily that spawns a veteran Carthaginian army close to Italy's border. Or later during the Marian reform you could accidentally trigger the social wars by over expanding causing public order issues and revolts briefly?

Forgive my ignorance btw, I have no idea if such a thing is possible.

These are indeed good ideas but we will need a scripter. We are updating currently EB 1.33 and we have added more than 60 units and upgraded it to ALX.exe engine, as result we have other priorities currently.

Great. Will 1.33 fix the frequent crashes of 1.32 btw? Pretty game breaking.

Actually we had to roll back the changes to the last fully functiona version in order to implement current changes.

Nice, right now the game crashes regularly when viewing your faction leader, so anytime he's in a settlement and you want to retrain or recruit something. It happens so often, I'm now waiting for 1.33

Play with the EB 1.31c version till we release 1.33, AVOID 1.32

Do you guys plan to make multiplayer functional? The unit rosters were completely scrambled in 1.3's. (Also the first cohorts of segmentata units didn't actually have that eagle effect).

Would really enjoy more historical battles for multiplayer, me and my friend plays 1.2 multi often (though some people some how end up with different mod versions).

We have not worked on that. We are finishing adding new units and revising some old (including editing of the chariot models and new chariots for Indians and Garamantines). We will give to Jirisys to work on the new launcher and the multiplayer, the new version will be functional only on ALEX.exe because we have added the maximum number of units.
    Last edited by Leon Katakalon; May 07, 2019 at 04:35 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12