Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Aurei Imperii (mod set at 150 BC)

Default Re: Aurei Imperii (mod set at 278BC during Pyrrhus of Epirus campaigns)

Quote Originally Posted by OJ33DA View Post
    Didn't mean to put you down.
    I'm just hoping that you'll release hotfixes as needed.
    Not trying to say that EBII doesn't do that but it seems they're focused on releasing Big updates instead of multiple small patches.

I like many of the choices you made: the unit cards are fantastic, the choice of factions is interesting (unique rebel units) but how will Baktria be represented in the game when they have yet to gain independence from the Seleukids? Will they (the player) start as a protectorate of the Seleukid Empire? How powerful will the Seleukids be? I don't want the Seleukids to die off in less than 100 turns, as is common in RTW...
    Yeah, I know Baktria was a satrapy at this date, however I'm not sure it's worth adding scripts to make it kinda of work like a satrapy at the beginning like in EBII as I want to avoid adding too many scripts which end up being a huge hit in the overall performance of the game with long end turns and possible crashes as the engine doesn't handle well too many scripts and as I said computer performance is also a priority to me. I rather only use scripts for things I believe essential and I don't feel trying to simulate Baktria as a satrapy at the start of the game is essential. The focus of the mod isn't historical accuracy like EBII and some other mods but instead immersion, gameplay and roleplay. I don't want to make an history simulator but a game based on history which I find fun.

The Seleucids shall be one of the strongest factions at the beginning ofc.
    Last edited by MagusCaligula; November 27, 2018 at 08:34 AM.

So to give some updated news on this mod:

It's been redesigned using Ancient Conquest as the base and as of now I'm thinking starting at 348 BC at the time of Philip II right after the conquest of non Macedonian greek cities in Macedonia region and before the conquest of Thracia. Alexander had 8 years old at the time so he shall be in the family tree but as underaged. The reason of this date choice it's because anything after that would become too macedonian centric and I want all factions to be interesting to play.

Unit models, scenes and many other stuff including strat map icons, terrain textures and some code will be from De Bello Mundi.

As of now the factions are Macedon, Persian Empire, Athens, Sparta, Rome, Syracuse, Carthage, Epirus, Gauls, Illyrians, Thracians, Sarmatians and Numidia.

Rework on main menu:

Last edited by MagusCaligula; January 06, 2019 at 08:36 AM.

If you are going for such an early start date, then you should probably focus your map and scenario on the eastern Mediterranean and Asia, as Rome and Carthage at the time were just upstarts and their major stride to dominance in the western Med and Italy did not start until a century later, so that would be hundreds of turns of lee way for the western Med.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamlaz View Post
    If you are going for such an early start date, then you should probably focus your map and scenario on the eastern Mediterranean and Asia, as Rome and Carthage at the time were just upstarts and their major stride to dominance in the western Med and Italy did not start until a century later, so that would be hundreds of turns of lee way for the western Med.
    Not exactly, at the time Alexander started the Persian campaign, Rome was already the dominant power in Italy after defeating the Etruscans and was already conquering south Italy in wars against the Samnites and the Greek cities. The Epirote King, at the same time Alexander started the campaign against Persia, invaded Italy to engage in the war against Rome and lost. Syracuse also had major battles against Carthage at the time. Also the date shall extend 300 years or so with 4 turns per year. This is not an Alexander focused mod that's why it starts at 348 BC when Alexander had only 8 years old (so underaged in the mod). An Alexander focused mod would just become boring in my opinion. This way you can still play as Macedonia and conquer the Persian Empire but you can also chose to play other faction in that scenario or in the west scenario as Syracuse, Rome, Carthage, etc.
    Last edited by MagusCaligula; January 06, 2019 at 08:38 AM.

348, why no Scythians (they were major power in the region until 339 BC, when Philllip II took them down hard), Bosporan Kingdom, Syracuse or Iberian factions, the latter two being significant factions in the power play between Rome and Carthage?

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    348, why no Scythians (they were major power in the region until 339 BC, when Philllip II took them down hard), Bosporan Kingdom, Syracuse or Iberian factions, the latter two being significant factions in the power play between Rome and Carthage?
    Sarmatians were Scythians, Syracuse is in the factions list, Iberia is not covered by the map, the region from Bosporan Kingdom is barely covered also. I'm building the mod in Ancient Conquest map so I'm basicaly just editing the factions as needed, most will remain the same and the Persian Satrapies and Egypt will be replaced by the Persian Empire while a few factions will just be removed. Taras will be replaced by Epirus.
    Last edited by MagusCaligula; January 06, 2019 at 11:42 AM.

Good work with the mod mate!

Are you working on the units by yourself?

Bom trabalho! É espantoso o que tens conseguido fazer sozinho!

Quote Originally Posted by MagusCaligula View Post
    Not exactly, at the time Alexander started the Persian campaign, Rome was already the dominant power in Italy after defeating the Etruscans and was already conquering south Italy in wars against the Samnites and the Greek cities. The Epirote King, at the same time Alexander started the campaign against Persia, invaded Italy to engage in the war against Rome and lost. Syracuse also had major battles against Carthage at the time.
    Eh, I did not said that nothing happened there, merely that it was still far off anything major happening there.

Your scenario is 400 turns away from the first punic war...

Quote Originally Posted by MagusCaligula View Post
    Also the date shall extend 300 years or so with 4 turns per year. This is not an Alexander focused mod that's why it starts at 348 BC when Alexander had only 8 years old (so underaged in the mod). An Alexander focused mod would just become boring in my opinion. This way you can still play as Macedonia and conquer the Persian Empire but you can also chose to play other faction in that scenario or in the west scenario as Syracuse, Rome, Carthage, etc.
    I see.

How will you manage to level the plainfield of the enormous Persian Empire that will take up 1/4th of your map at startdate?
    Will they have scripted handicaps?

Would be an issue if they just started gobbling up everything as they expanded since they will surely be the most powerful faction at start date.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Good work with the mod mate!

Are you working on the units by yourself?

Bom trabalho! É espantoso o que tens conseguido fazer sozinho!
    Well as I said the unit models are from DBM but yeah implementing them it's just me as it's just me working on the mod. But it's thanks to other modders making their work available to the community that makes this mod possible, so credit to where it's due.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamlaz View Post
    Eh, I did not said that nothing happened there, merely that it was still far off anything major happening there.

Your scenario is 400 turns away from the first punic war...

I see.

How will you manage to level the plainfield of the enormous Persian Empire that will take up 1/4th of your map at startdate?
    Will they have scripted handicaps?

Would be an issue if they just started gobbling up everything as they expanded since they will surely be the most powerful faction at start date.
    Before the Punic Wars there were the Greco-Punic wars between Carthage and Syracuse... Personally I'm much more interested in the ancient Greek states than in ancient Rome.

Well they'll have the numbers at their favor at the start obviously but not sure how AI will behave. But it's kinda like Seleucids in EBII, it's not they start steamrolling everything. Anyway the first version will be a "Beta" version so that everything can be tested and in the follow up version do all the eventual rebalance needed. Kinda like the same I did with my big mod for M&B Warband, where I also took a lot of risky decisions in the design of the mod and was criticized and end up being a success.

Have you seen Hegemonia City States mod for RTW? It has some good ideas about that time period

I've decided to change the date to 340 BC when Alexander had 16 years old already so I can add the character properly. At that date Macedonia was already quite powerful but were still campaigning in Thrace and Greece was still independent besides Thessaly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Have you seen Hegemonia City States mod for RTW? It has some good ideas about that time period
    Never played it but looks great.

Uploaded Macedonian faction Intro/Transition, the sound got screwed in the upload though for some reason, just ignore it. I'll soon upload new in game images when I get some things finished.

Macedonian Intro/Transition

Updated images:

Faction Selection Menu

Campaign Map UI
    Last edited by MagusCaligula; January 15, 2019 at 01:53 PM.

Julio85's Avatar Biarchus

Cool mod!

Quote Originally Posted by Julio85 View Post
    Cool mod!
    Thanks, hopefully I got the date and setting right this time xD If at least I could correct the title...

So I finally could upload new images, I've changed a few things in the UI, have been adding strat map models. Still working on a lot of UI stuff.

syracuse, ui, unit cards

carthage, port of carthage, unit cards

Cool!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast