Thread: How to modify unit recruitment?

Default How to modify unit recruitment?

I've been fooling around with the mod's data files to tweak a few things, taking a crude stab at Huge-size unit balance, etc. One thing that's totally stumped me, though, is how to alter recruitment conditions for units normally only available to one culture/religion (shadow cult, way of the west, way of darkness).

In my specific case, I wanted to be able to train Guards of the Tower in Minas Ithil as Adunabar, regardless of if your dominant culture is shadow or dunedain. Nothing I've tried seems to work. I even tried to phone it in and let the High Temple of the Dark Tree recruit them directly, with no strings attached in the line of code, but got nothing; it SAYS the building can recruit them on its info card, but they don't show up under the recruit tab.

I assume there's some file/file section I don't know about that says "Units A B and C can only be recruited by religion X", but I have no idea where it is. Can anybody shed some light on this?
    Last edited by DontHeckWithSnek; October 22, 2018 at 07:47 PM.

Default Re: How to modify culture-based unit recruitment?

Update: I don't think my issue is actually to do with culture. I created an exact copy of Guards of the Tower (export_descr_unit.txt, and changed the recruit line in buildings), just with a different ID. Once again, it showed up as recruitable on the building card, but not on the recruit tab when the building was finished. I could spawn it via the console and it seemed fine otherwise.

I'm not sure -where- to fix my issue, but I think it's the same reason that "Native Recruitment" and "Cultic Recruitment" on the building list are technically units that the barracks says you can recruit for the purpose of having text dividers. Something elsewhere is preventing them from being recruited, and I just have no idea what.
    Last edited by DontHeckWithSnek; October 22, 2018 at 07:46 PM.

Default Re: How to modify culture-based unit recruitment?

This forum is not monitored closely du to the primary mod no longer being under development. You may have to dig through to find some of the modders that made units for the mod and pm them to get their attention.

Default Re: How to modify unit recruitment?

Unit availability in FATW is also tied to weapon-tech. See top of EDU:
    Code:
    ; weapon tech type "simple" = core (mannish non-cultic factions) / common (mannish cultic factions), trade-naval
    ; weapon tech type "blade" = non-cultic (mannish cultic factions) / non-mannish (non-mannish factions) / levy / assimilation
    ; weapon tech type "archery" = war-naval
    ; weapon tech type "siege" = cultic (mannish cultic factions) / mannish (non-mannish factions) / orkish
    ; weapon tech type "other" = bodyguard (non-RG) / peasant / mercenary / hobbit / divider

; COMMENTS              Guards of the Tower / Professional / Veteran / Dunedanic:Dunedanic
    type                    mf citadel
    dictionary              4a_mf_citadel
    stat_pri                8, 6, no, 0, 0, melee, blade, piercing, spear, 50, 0.72
    stat_pri_attr           ap, light_spear, spear_bonus_4
    stat_sec                0, 0, no, 0, 0, melee, blade, piercing, none, 25, 0.8
    stat_sec_attr           no

; COMMENTS              Grond's Men / Professional / Elite / Other:Cultic
    type                    mf grondsmen  
    dictionary              4a_mf_grondsmen
    stat_pri                13, 12, no, 0, 0, melee, siege, blunt, axe, 50, 0.72
    stat_pri_attr           ap
    stat_sec                0, 0, no, 0, 0, melee, siege, piercing, none, 25, 0.8
    stat_sec_attr           no
    Cultic Temples, for example, give faction-wide bonuses to 'siege' and maluses to 'blade' (and Dunedanic cultural buildings vice versa), and the aggregate of those effects makes one kind of units available and blocks the other. In EDB:
    Code:
            temple_of_one_god_shrine requires factions { empire_east_rebels, sassanids, franks, celts, } ...
            {
                capability
                {

}
                faction_capability
                {
                    weapon_bladed bonus -8 requires factions { empire_east_rebels, sassanids, franks, celts, }
                    weapon_siege bonus 8 requires factions { empire_east_rebels, sassanids, franks, celts, }
                }
                construction  4
                cost  4000
                settlement_min town
                upgrades
                {
                    temple_of_one_god_temple
                }
    Last edited by Aradan; October 23, 2018 at 01:53 AM.

I noticed that when looking over cult/west unit differences but would not in a million years have thought it was the deciding factor. I made a siege-upgrade copy unit and they recruited just fine. Thanks a tonne.

@Aadan : It always warms my heart to see one of the old devs pop up on the forums. Cheers! I hope you will always appreciate how important your work, and those of your comrades, have been to those fortunate enough to have enjoyed this mod. I hope you will never begrudge us the occasional happy return.