Thread: Not visible part of the model in game.

Default Not visible part of the model in game.

Hello!
    I am trying to change the models of trees in my mod on stratmap. When exporting to cas, if the tree is not in one mesh, then the game sees only one part of the model.
    If the model is made in one mesh, the game crashes.
    Someone tried to change the model of trees? Why does the game see only one part of the model, for example, when city models consist of several parts and the game sees them normally.

Default Re: Not visible part of the model in game.

Strat tree models do have to be in one mesh, one group in milkshape. Check the texture name is correct for your one mesh version, that's what normally causes a crash.

The game does accept multi group and multi texture models for the strat settlements, but won't display them for trees.

Thanks for the answer!
    And what exactly is the correct name of the texture? how should it be called correctly?
    As I understand it, there should be two .tga and .tga.dds files. ?
    Is the .tga file used as a texture?

Once again, all rechecked. Everything is done as you wrote, but the game crashes. I do not know what else could be the problem.

Sorry been away for a bit... for a mod you need to have a .tga version of the texture - you can also have a .tga.dds if you want to reduce the loading size, but you must have the .tga and the texture name in the .cas file must be .tga (never ever .tga.dds)

Check you have the .tga version and that's what the .cas says.

If that's not the problem, maybe it's too large & overloading the map when it's trying to display it all???

If you can't figure it out please upload the .cas's somewhere and pm me a link so I can have a look.

I'll have a better look tomorrow - but meanwhile texture size! Really, the trees are a teeny tiny little blob on the campaign map!
    The .tga with that name does have to exist but if you also have the tga.dds in there the .dds will be the only one visible - so the .tga can be a 1px file with same name. The .tga.dds I'd take back to 256 x 256 pixels - you're really not going to see the difference! Let me know if that helps...

Unfortunately this does not help.
    Probably the problem is somewhere in the model itself, but I myself can not figure out what's wrong.

Seems to be too big - so interestingly it's not the kb size that't the problem (as your part invisible one worked) - but it's crashing when it tries to display all of it!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6h1tn3ya2...duced.zip?dl=0
    is a bodged up reduced version that gets the cas size down to 21kb by taking out some of the leaf bits and simplifies the branches - that loads for me in Geomod with your original textures.

I'd still recommend using smaller textures and reducing the model size further too - whilst that might load on it's own if you've got a lot of other stuff on the strat map (city models, increased numbers of ground textures, more character models etc) you can get overload problems.

Interestingly!!!
    I loaded your model in descr_climates as both the normal tree and for the canopy, using;

strategy summer sparse_tree acacia_a.cas 11
    strategy summer sparse_tree acacia_a.cas 10
    strategy summer dense_tree acacia_a.cas 10
    strategy summer canopy acacia_a.cas 12
    and discovered something I hadn't noticed before - try it and you'll see what I mean - for the canopy it uses your nice alpha'd out shapes and you get the fine (bit too fine to see) details of the leaves - for the sparse trees, and the dense tree which edges the canopy, it doesn't display the alpha to that depth (I think from previous experience it does technically use the alpha - but only if the 'hole' is about half the size of the tree!)
    Unfortunately that's the opposite way around to what would actually be useful!!

As a tip for reducing the model size - you only see the faces that face towards you or upwards - e.g. you don't see the back of the trunk or anything facing that way. Also watch out for getting vertexes spaced too closely together in the direction of the light - as that gives you the 'shadow attached to tree' bug - which that reduced version has currently...

have fun

Thank you very much, you really helped! Now it is clear which way to go!
    I would increase your reputation, but I do not know how to do it) Thank you again)