Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Library of Annúminas - Constantine's Legacy [UPDATED 17/04/'20]

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Library of Annúminas - Constantine's Legacy [UPDATED 17/04/'20]

Welcome traveller to my humble section of this great library. This is Constantine's Legacy, my legacy that is. As you can see it is still a pretty empty space but hopefully in time it will be filled with many papers and scrolls alike.
    There are Acolytes wandering the place who will be all too happy to help you find what you seek. It can be a mess here from time to time but if you really can't seem to find something don't worry too much and go to the Loremaster (me), he'll find what you need in no time.

I hope you'll enjoy your stay and may you return many times to us.

Happy reading!

Author's note: The title is a combination of a reference to Hirvegil's Library in my AAR - To earn a Kingdom - and my namesake Constantinus. To be honest I couldn't choose which one to use so the smart man that I am I just took both. Let the canon be that it is a section in this magnificent and wondrous library.

After Action Reports
    To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1
    Can't you get enough of Lord of the Rings content? Are you enamoured with a story-driven AAR set in Tolkien's universe? Are epic battles and intriguing characters something that interest you?
    Then search no more for this is the tale for you! Help our King and Saviour Aragorn bring salvation to Middle-Earth!

Book I: Auth Fervain - Chapters

Book II: Dagor Edain - Chapters

Tale of the Weeks
    TotW 273 Chichen Itza
    The Shaman of Chichén Itza

The shaman gazed through his window towards the horizon where the TEMPLE of Kukulcán stood. He was the ahuacan or the Lord of SERPENTS, the High Priest of the Mayans. A ritual was to be performed today, so he quickly grabbed his MASK and donned the rest of his religious attire. There was to be a new king. The soon-to-be-king was to let some blood in offering to the Gods and then a period of five days was to be spent feasting in his and the God's honour.

It was a fine morning in Chichén Itza, and there was joy in the air. The sun shone bright in a cloudless sky, the grass still wet from the morning dew. Spring had come. The shaman kissed his wife goodbye and began his journey to the place of worship. Children were playing in the streets while mothers looked affectionally at them. It was a welcome change.

Strange men had been sighted near the coast. Their clothing shone bright in the sun, blinding everyone who looked upon them. They brought with them strange food, strange diseases, and strange weapons. The Mayans called them the 'Bringers of Thunder' and everyone feared them. The shaman was troubled by their precence, as was everyone else, and wondered what these foreigners wanted. He wondered if this was a sign from the Gods, that this was the perishing of the world. Come what may, today was a joyous day.

Before long he stood in front of the TEMPLE stairs. It was a long climb but the shaman was both young and lean, and reached the top without losing any breath. He entered the TEMPLE and made offerings of food to the Lord of DEERS and to the Sun god.

At the center stood a STATUE of the God Itzamna. To this he made an offering of his own blood. He took a chain of thorns and punctured his lip. The dripping blood he caught in a wooden bowl. When the bowl was filled he smeared it over the torso of Itzamna. Over his own torso he drew a pattern of circles with the rest of the blood. It would begin soon.

The prince climbed the stairs with little effort. All of Chichén Itza had come to see his coronation. Men, women and children alike stood around the TEMPLE, looking at the heavens. The Prince was young and fair-faced and loved, his wife standing beside him. The Prince knelt before his people while the shaman sliced open his arm. A spray of bright red blood was caught in a bowl made out of bone, before the wound was tended to by the Ix men, women priests devoted to the art of healing.
    The Prince rose, entered the TEMPLE and smeared his blood on the STATUE of Itzamna. The shaman placed a crown on the Prince's brow proclaiming that he was King.

Come what may, today was a joyeus day.

TotW 274: Slavery

Slavery, then and now
    Note:I don't endorse slavery in any way, nor would I want to decrease its severity. I simply looked at the subject slavery and ethics from a pure rational angle. This is what I think and is therefore not the 'truth'. I added this note because I know slavery is a very sensitive subject and this text could be interpreted out of context.

Slavery, it is no stranger to humanity. From the ancient Egyptians to the British Empire, slavery existed. This inhumane practice had been the rise and fall of many a great empire. Slavery has been present in all cultures be they white, black, asian or other. Slave markets were strewn around the world and was not a thing to be frowned upon until the modern era. It had been part of many societies for ages and they considered it not to be wrong. It was just the way of life back then. Today however we condemn this practice as an oppression of people. With the modern age came the idea of equality of all human beings and slavery was therefore banned in the modern world. However, this injustice is still a part of this world and will probably always be part of this world.

Most agree that the practices employed in most of the developing countries is borderline slavery. Many of the employees there are still children and are working in a similar environment as the Europeans did at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution in the 19th century. But we are all slaves in a way. In most of the world, slavery is concealed behind supposed “choice”. However in the end it comes down to one simply thing. Money. You need money to survive. You earn money by working, at least for 99,99 percent of the population. Ergo, in order to survive you must work. Slavery is working in exchange for survival. I'm not comparing the slaves of old to our situation because they are two different things within the same subject. Other times, other circumstances. You now have the 'choice' to choose your labour and your 'master', your employer, as well that we enjoy certain freedoms the slaves of old never had. You get paid for this labour in money but that is just a middle ground as you require money to survive. Of course you 'willingly' sign the contract to your employer but do you have much of a choice in the matter? If you think about it, you don't.

The idea that slavery is evil is but a social construct that we as a species have agreed upon. It is just something we made. Ethics don't exist in the world beyond that of humans. We created good and evil and it has changed constantly over the ages. It would be nice to go to a future where slavery is a thing of the past, that we could overcome this, instead of staying the beasts that we really are.

TotW 275: Carnival

Carnaval in the Favela

Here a boy sits in silence at the dinner table while the city fills itself with dance and song. It is carnavale but nothing of this is present in the filth that is known as the favela. The people of the richer parts of the city look down on its inhabitants like they are animals. In this hell he was born and in this hell he shall probably die. The parade that comes with the Festival of Meat, marches through the most important streets of Rio, with dancers in sparkling glitter costumes. Plumes in blue and green and yellow and red who whirl around as they dance to the upbeat music. The boy is curious and tells his mother he is going to play outside. He starts climbing to the rooftop of the place he calls home. From the top of his roof he jumps from rooftop to rooftop finally gaining sight of the grand parade. The boy is in awe at the display of wealth as float after float marches through the lit city streets. He decides to go a little bit closer, just to take a look. Hiding behind a building he glances around the corner to see the floats. One of the dancing girls sees the poor boy's dirty face, and beckons him with her hand to come closer. The boy frightened he had been discovered made a run for it, back to the only place he had ever known. The favela he both loved and hated but could not escape. He crawled in his bed and cried himself to sleep thinking about the unfairness of the world, while the rest of Rio celebrated.

Will it always be like this, the boy thought as sleep finally took him away from the nightmare that was his life.

This was and would always be carnavale in the favela.

TotW 277: Teachings
    Master Kilvin was perusing my papers. Stanley thought he had found another, more effective way to imbue magical runes into metal. His method would mean they would need less energy to imbue the runes into objects. Formerly they always added the runes after the object was finished. Stanley's method would be to imbue them while the metal was hot. While Kilvin was looking at the papers, I tried to look calm but inside I was as nervous as a boy having his first kiss. Kilvin looked up from his desk into the my eyes.

“It looks plausible.” was what Master Kilvin said.

I was thrilled to hear this because that meant I could use the forge to try out my theory.

“Take what you need from the forge and start smithing. I'll be watching.” the Master said.

Now I was a bit nervous as I didn't want to fail in front of my tutor. To make matters worse the forge was filled with other students all looking at me in a studious fashion. I chose an ambitious plan to impress both Master Kilvin and my fellow students especially Lianne, whom I fancied. A sympathy lamp would do.

I started by gathering all the ingredients. Steel, silver, a obsidian plate and glass. I started by making the steel frame. I casted the liquid metal into the lamp holder mold and started hammering it into shape. Once in shape the most difficult part of it had to happen. While the metal was in a state between liquid and solid I pressed the binding rune Ule onto it, binding the atmoshperes' warmth to the lamp by calling the name of fire while pressing the rune onto the steel's surface.

I continued with smelting the silver and glass. The silver I used to submerge the steel holder in giving it a nice shine to it. The glass I shaped in the form of a chalice while I imbued the seeking rune Reh as well as the transfer rune Urch while at the same thing calling the name of fire again and the name of light respectively. With this done I attached the obsidian plate on top of the glass chalice.

I used wood to connect the chalice and holder but not directly to one another. For this I used a piece of silver which could connect and disconnect the two with a simple switch.

The moment of truth was here. As I turned the switch on and the two pieces connected, the lamp shone in a bright red colour. Everyone was in awe and not in the least myself. Master Kilvin came over to look at my creation.

“Fascinating! This has given us all new insights about imbueing runes with this manner of procedure.” the Master said, pride shining on his pupil.

I was very pleased about myself not only because of my succes, but also because Lianne was beaming at me. What more could I want.

TotW 280: Flowers of Evil
    Flowers of Evil

In a flowerbed two flowers grew close to each other, one of control and one of freedom, him and her together. A combination that couldn't last. Yet he persisted in his addiction of her, a her that didn't exist. Her ideals did not match his and his idea of love did not match hers. A tragedy in the making. Here she continued to wither and he continued to grow wroth. Thus the seeds of evil were sown.

All around other flowers were affected by these seeds and looked in anguish and pain at the pair of them. A great divide occured with each flower choosing his and her allegiance to one of the two. It was a divide in principles not of friends and enemies. Yet the divide was done in secret and every flower held his thoughts to himself. Thus the storm was created amidst the flowerbed.

The days wore on and she grew weary of his attempts to ensare her with his poetry. She was of freedom and detested his attempts of control on her, for that was his nature. After a while all she could feel was ennui, a weariness of all. She wanted it to end but feared the destruction of all, so she kept her silence and waited. Thus everyone saw the signs of the coming storm drawing near.

Dark clouds filled the sky as the fateful day came when all things could end and the flowers shivered in fear. Would everything they knew end or could everything go back to how things were before?

Anxiety, pain and uncertainty were the basis of this evil and it affected the flowerbed immensly. Whatever may come the seeds of evil would surely sprout in such ground and the flowers of evil would bloom before the end.

TotW 282: The Sculptor's Dream
    He looked up from his parchments to the construction site. The foundations had just been laid but already he could see the grand structure they were building. A temple the likes noone had ever seen before. On the parchments before him was drawn a sketch of a grand statue to the God of Turmoil. He had drawn it himself and had brought it before the Council of Seven, the rulers of the realm. They had immediatly approved of the design and commisioned him to begin his work at once. Turmoil had given life to everything and was worshipped the most by the people. A God to fear and love.

To create a symbol in his honour was like a dream come true. He was provisioned with the finest materials from sublime marble, to ivory, gold, copper and serene silver. This would be the greatest accomplishment in his life. He felt like a small child again, excited and invigorated in his old age was not something that happened a lot to him anymore. As he grabbed his chisel and hammer he did not feel the pain in his wrists and his knees did not creak as much as they used to when bent. Today was a perfect day it seemed.

As he wanted to put his tools to use on the salmoncoloured stone he could see the statue completed in his mind's eye. With its ruby eyes and its golden hair surrounding a troubled face which looked simultaniously joyful and saddened. A seemingly knowing half smile touched its lips, which expressed amusement and sorrow, as if to say he had seen the past and the future. A little bent over and leaning on a staff of silver with an ivory headpiece in the shape of a swirling cloud, he looked old in spite of his young appearance slim of waist and fair of face. The staff was held in its left hand while flames of copper sprout from its right. A moment the magnificent image stirred.

Then the sculptor woke.

TotW 284: It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly
    Anxiety

What if I fail, what if I fail, what if I fail, what if I fail. These were the thoughts constantly mulling through his brain to the point it almost drove him insane. His breaths came at an irregular interval and his heart seemed it would burst out of his chest or drop dead any given minute. Such panic attacks were not uncommon for him though that did nothing to alleviate them or make them the slightest bit less distressing. Ashamed he was, ashamed that he was this weak. He did nothing but just sit there, staring into the middle distance. Then a voice rose from within.

“Stop your whining” the remorseless voice said.

The voice also was not something he was unaccustomed to. Through the years it had been his companion and had helped him overcome many problems. He both loved and hated it.

It demanded he take back control over his mind.

“If you don't I will” it threatened.

Slowely he felt his breath steadying and his heart returning to its normal pace.

Okay, okay, okay, the man thought to himself as he steadied his nerves, his hand still trembling a little bit.

“So what do we do now” he asked.

The voice's reply took awhile and the man felt fear clawing at him once again.

Then its unforgiving voice rang again.

“We must be like a rock, strong, hard and determined.” it said.

“We must have faith” it continued in a friendlier tone.

Faith he thought, faith in what. He had lost faith a long time ago. What hope was there left in this barren, cold and lonely world.

“If you don't try you will never know” the voice retorted.

“Jump and who knows what treasures you might find.” it said suggestively.

“You will never know if you don't try.” it repeated.

The voice was right. It could not go on like this. Something had to change. As the man stood up and walked towards the abyss, the voice uttered two final words before disappearing.

“Good luck.”

Was that sarcasm? Nevermind. He had something to do and waiting any longer would not make it any easier. He looked down into the gaping darkness before him and recoiled at the sight of it, taking a step back.

“No!” he cried aloud, returning to the edge.

“No longer shall I fear any darkness! Come what may, this ends here!”

With clenched fists and closed eyes he jumped and fell.

And fell.

And fell.

And fell.

Then he realised he was not falling but flying. Opening his eyes he saw wings had sprouted from his back and were carrying him safely through the air. Tears of relief flowed from his eyes as he flew back into the light.

He had survived another day.

Creative Writings Coming soon!

Roleplay Hotseats
    Quenta Silmarillion
    Journey to the First Age of Tolkien's universe and read the stories of Elves, Dwarves and Men fighting against all odds in the War for the Silmarils and to defeat the Dark Lord Morgoth. The link above will take you to the first narrative post, go check it out there is some great stuff there. Underneath you shall find links specifically to my parts.

The Isles of Chaos
    The British Isles have always been a place of war. Watch these islands descend into chaos and madness as it tries not to be ripped apart by the many factions that inhabit them. Only one can become hegemon of the British Isles. Who will it be? Likewise the link above will take you to the first narrative post so go check it out. Again underneath you will find links to my parts of the greater story.

Last edited by Turkafinwë; April 17, 2020 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Added Chapter XXVII of TeaK

Content Emeritus

Default Re: Library of Annúminas - Constantine's Legacy [UPDATED 19/10/18]

The next installment of To earn a Kingdom is here! Chapter I: The King goes South

Content Emeritus

Default Re: Library of Annúminas - Constantine's Legacy [UPDATED 27/12/18]

Another chapter of To earn a Kingdom has arrived as well as some new additions to the RP hotseats are added to the library. Chapter IV: March!

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Wow, this is a nice library you have here Turk! Or should I say...Constantine? I don't know why you said you had a rough upbringing with that name, it's pretty cool, and you can always imagine yourself as Emperor of Rome.

Didn't know you dabbled that much in hotseats too. Also, really love the formatting. Neat and tidy.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Content Emeritus

Thanks Swaeft! You might think it's cool but nobody here does. It's an old name and kids will pester anyone with anything really because they think it's funny, like someone who wears glasses (which I also do, man I really was a walking joke back in the day ). Is it particularly funny, no, do kids pester others for it, absolutely. Oh I have imagined that multiple times, perhaps that's why they laughed at me going to school in my toga and all, who knows.

Hotseating is new to me really, before these I had never hotseated so I'm not the best in gameplay. That's why my preference goes to these Roleplay hotseats where the story elements are more important than who wins the game. Always play to your strengths is what they say, I think. My favorite is, without a surprise, the Quenta Silmarillion one. It's Tolkien so what more is there to say.

Thanks I also think it looks quite nice so I'm glad you like it too.

Anyway thanks for stopping by.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Thanks Swaeft! You might think it's cool but nobody here does. It's an old name and kids will pester anyone with anything really because they think it's funny, like someone who wears glasses (which I also do, man I really was a walking joke back in the day ). Is it particularly funny, no, do kids pester others for it, absolutely. Oh I have imagined that multiple times, perhaps that's why they laughed at me going to school in my toga and all, who knows.
    The fools! How dare they! The nerve...it is time. *Does best Kingdom of Heaven impression*: AAASSSEEMBLEE THE ARMY!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    The fools! How dare they! The nerve...it is time. *Does best Kingdom of Heaven impression*: AAASSSEEMBLEE THE ARMY!
    I think the combined might of God's Steel and the Dúnedain of the North is strong enough to take on some high-school bullies!

CHAAARGE!!!!

PS: added some new links to new installments for both hotseat campaigns.

Content Emeritus

Default Re: Library of Annúminas - Constantine's Legacy [UPDATED 11/01/19]

A new installment of To earn a Kingdom, Chapter V: A Sense of Foreboding

Content Emeritus

Default Re: Library of Annúminas - Constantine's Legacy [UPDATED 08/02/19]

We're back at it again. Gifts in thrice-fold. New RP for both the Isles of Chaos and Quenta Silmarillion hotseats; A Dress for a King and Of Beren's coming to Nargothrond. But Turk, I hear you cry, those are only two things where is the third?

Well, I also present to you another chapter of To Earn a Kingdom; Chapter VII: Easterlings!

Happy reading everyone!
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; February 10, 2019 at 03:16 AM.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Wow, TEAK is back on the weekly menu! Lovely!

Content Emeritus

Thanks for your enthusiam Swaeft, it really does give me boost in confidence so thank you! Unfortunately it will more likely be on a bi-weekly basis (if I can sustain that, since the way I write is not very consistent.) I have bouts of inspiration and then I will write a whole bunch of chapters. When this surge of inspiration is over I can enter a period in which I barely write anything. But I will try and get a certain schedule out after a tumultuous period in which you'd never know when the next installment came. A small annoyance to some if even that but I believe it important to keep a certain schedule. I'm not promising anything, just merely stating that I will try my damndest to get it working.

Wow, TEAK is back on the weekly menu! Lovely!
    Oh it's back on the menu alright!

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Haha, no problem, do it at your own pace, really, it's just that I got an extra kick when I saw you post two updates in succession I completely understand the bouts of inspiration, I'm at their beck and call myself. Here's to more flashes of creativity coming more regularly

Also, great pic! Now we just need to add an S and it'll be steak. Now guess who's name starts with S...

Content Emeritus

Haha, no problem, do it at your own pace, really, it's just that I got an extra kick when I saw you post two updates in succession
    You are too kind Swaeft!

I completely understand the bouts of inspiration, I'm at their beck and call myself. Here's to more flashes of creativity coming more regularly
    Hear hear! In the end we are all slaves to our imagination and its limitations.

Also, great pic! Now we just need to add an S and it'll be steak. Now guess who's name starts with S...
    Thanks! I think Ugluk might've liked a steak more than some disgusting raw Orc meat then again can you imagine him going to a restaurant and order himself a nice entrecote. Now I'm hungry.
    There's a name on the tip of my tongue but can't seem to get it out.

Content Emeritus

*blows dust from the scrolls and book* My goodness what a mess. It's as if noone cleaned this place for a year now. Time to change that. *flicks magic wand *

(I've updated everything from chapters of To earn a Kingdom to links to my parts in the hotseats I'm still playing).

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Library of Annúminas - Constantine's Legacy [UPDATED 25/02/'20]

You think this is dusty, wait till you see mine! I'll stop by in the summer, I really need to catch up on TEAK when I have the time. Thanks in advance for pumping out those chapters!

Content Emeritus

Default Re: Library of Annúminas - Constantine's Legacy [UPDATED 25/02/'20]

You think this is dusty, wait till you see mine! I'll stop by in the summer, I really need to catch up on TEAK when I have the time. Thanks in advance for pumping out those chapters!
    The Northern Dúnedain and I await your return with pleasure!
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 16, 2020 at 09:00 AM.

Content Emeritus

Default Re: Library of Annúminas - Constantine's Legacy [UPDATED 19/03/'20]

After two years of writing we have reached Chapter 50 (in total) of To earn a Kingdom. A lovely milestone to celebrate the second anniversary of my first AAR!

Thanks to everyone who always supported me!

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    After two years of writing we have reached Chapter 50 (in total) of To earn a Kingdom.
    Congrats on the milestone!

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

What a milestone...massive congrats dude!

Content Emeritus

What a milestone...massive congrats dude!
    Quote Originally Posted by JB2C View Post
    Congrats on the milestone!
    Thanks guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast