Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Derc Plays Through World History

Campidoctor

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Medieval 1 - Grand Campaign)

Medieval
    Grand Campaign

--------------------------
    (Click to view)

We manage to breach the Mamluk lines! Mongols set foot into Africa!
    This is basically their death. Egypt falls.

The Nasrids are mobilizing. Who might be the target?
    Can't really be the Castilians, as these are just some minor spanish Rebels not owning anything.

If they wanted to attack the Mamluks then they are too late.

Wth happened on the British Isles? The English Empire imploded completely.

Pure Anarchy in the former English lands. Who is not on top of a tree on ten is burned at the stake.

The Mamluks are no more. Most of northern Africa is in Mongol hands.

One thing about Medieval 1 that is really cool is that your leader may have secret traits. They can be a little bit negative or even positive. However, if an enemy spy manages to reveal them, they almost always have a huge negative impact on your Character. So protecting your Generals from Spies was actually a thing that made sense.

A not so cool thing is that conversation in this game happens way too fast.
    Only 10 years have passed since the fall of Franconia. Ok, I flooded them with Shamans and destroyed everything they once hold dear, but still ...

The French look so small and cozy. Mhh ... perfect for the taking.

What French influence? We are just about to destroy whatever little remained of them.

Hm ... Naaaah!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    This is pretty cool Derc. For my own things I tend toward a long-form prose AAR with few (if any) pictures, but I like what you're doing here. And like Caillagh I'm finding your off-the-cuff, almost sarcastic presentation of the death of kings and spread of plagues to be pretty entertaining. It's also cool to see Med1, as I first came to the TW series with Rome 1 and never saw the earlier titles. I'll be looking forward to what comes next!
    I do, too. I've read your discussion with Cookie. It happens incredible fast for an AAR to bloat up. So I set up some pretty harsh limitations for this. I feel like I could add so much more but then it would never be finished.

Still have to experiment a bit. I try to fit the tone of the respective campaign. For Medieval 1 it should be very dark - and sometimes it is. But I can't help it. I'm just a sarcastic derc jerk like that. And there are just too many things happening in TW that can't be explained in a (too) serious tone.
    Last edited by Derc; February 05, 2019 at 12:27 PM. Reason: fix'd typo | add contentbox

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Medieval 1 - Grand Campaign)

This campaign looks like a lot of fun. The historical references, like your comment on the Marco Polo of the Arab world, are a nice addition. The occasion when one of your armies was invading a territory and came across a larger English army seems to have set of a series of events with some unexpected twists. You mentioned in the OP that your aim it to paint the whole map in your colour, so I'm guessing that you won't accept the 'lesser victory' which has been offered (although you said that this would be your goal 'most of the time', so you might make an exception.)

Campidoctor

Medieval
    Grand Campaign

(Click to view)

Christians in Iberia try to break free from the Moorish joke with all their might. They pick up long abandoned Coats of Arms and rise up. But it is ultimately of no use. The Nasrids are stronger than ever.

The Mongol invasion of Britain (just imagine such a thing) has begun! Now or never!

The Hussites appear despite the fact that Bohemia is >90% pagan already.

A new century dawns.
    One that the Khan won't see long. He get's assassinated. Wth!? I did not deem it possible.

The mastermind of the assassination seems to be Burgundy or at least they are the ones who have to pay for it.
    We can't hold their land for long as instability has become unmanageable but at least we pillage a nice sum.

Should've stolen the True Cross too, but they brought it elsewhere.

The war in the North is finally decided with Denmark being the winner!
    I was curious so I did not intervene. Now that the war is over it is only a matter if time before they attack. Let's see who attacks whom first.

The Scots are dead for a second time and I will make sure it stays that way. It is their fate to be subdued by Mongols. It always was.

Good Lord, that will not be an easy task!

The Moors attack us!
    Bad timing, but so it shall be. The MorMon War™ is on!
    We make peace with Burgundy. They can't afford to fight me and I can't afford to fight them now that the Moors attacked.

Something is fishy: The Moors invaded with a very small force. I know that they have much bigger armies hidden somewhere. But where?
    We quickly advance in France. Is this a part of their plan? Let's hope not.

Oh, there they are!

⚙️ Authors Note - Technical Why is GB so much more unstable than the rest of my realm? I figured it out soon after. You need sea superiority.
    Without sea superiority the connection to your mainland is lost, drastically decreasing the public order on the isle.
    This is only realistic. I like this feature.
    🎭 Funfact
    Watchful investigative eyes might have spotted who really was behind the assassination of the Khan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    This campaign looks like a lot of fun. The historical references, like your comment on the Marco Polo of the Arab world, are a nice addition. The occasion when one of your armies was invading a territory and came across a larger English army seems to have set of a series of events with some unexpected twists. You mentioned in the OP that your aim it to paint the whole map in your colour, so I'm guessing that you won't accept the 'lesser victory' which has been offered (although you said that this would be your goal 'most of the time', so you might make an exception.)
    Thanks for the +rep .
    Yeah no, that would've been a very anticlimatic end . I'll tell when the campaign is over.
    Last edited by Derc; February 05, 2019 at 12:27 PM. Reason: add contentbox

That feature about sea superiority is indeed pretty cool. Having never played Med1 I don't know how any of it works, but that is a fairly awesome little bit to have, that seems way ahead of its time too. Make sure you keep them waters open Derc! Otherwise the Scots will rise again (you know they're planning on in anyway ).
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

I like that Scotland is dead and Denmark won over Sweden. A great update. Pls stop now because deep down in my Danish heart I know it'll only get worse from here. :/
    The assassin were you, right? Arghun sounds Mongolian. My theory is that Khan Scumbag I didn't want to wait any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Campidoctor

Medieval
    Grand Campaign

(Click to view)

Yep, I was right. There comes the Danish invasion.
    It was a bit too obvious so we had more than enough time to strengthen Novgorod.

Scotland rebels. There goes my pledge to hold it with all my might. But these are just lawless peasants, not being able to withstand our fury for long.

There was a little French uprising a few years earlier but now it has boiled into something significantly bigger.
    A French Nobleman kills the Emir and rises up in open rebellion. They French are back and offer me an alliance.

Multiple fronts, massive armies, an overstretched and unstable Empire ...
    This is a nice lategame challenge!

The English have lived long enough.
    I want that rich region and a better access to the British Isles.
    Goodbye England, you've had your adventure!

(As you might have seen Scottish peasants rebelled once again. They take this Freedom-thing very seriously.)

Aaand the French betray me right away. Normandy lost. Goddamn it! I don't even have time to betray someone because they always betray me first.
    I love this. It somehow feels authentic.

The Danish are good.
    I can fight them only with some spare armies from the hinterland and have to outmatch them at least 2:1. They have far superior troops.

But at the end their struggle was all for neigh.

The last independent Norsemen die in a small castle in Norway, starving to death, spending their last days on earth with the knowledge that outside of these walls the Horde is rampaging through their homeland. And there was nothing they could do. God had forsaken them.

Time to set our eyes back to France again.

The war with the Moors is still ongoing.
    We switch provinces steadily.

We focused on the traitorous French first and managed to destroy them a second time.

The exiled Venetians are also killed off.
    But not by us. I do not know who conquered them.

The Portuguese might be subjugated in this timeline but this does not stop them from exploring the world.

Sh't.

That feature about sea superiority is indeed pretty cool. Having never played Med1 I don't know how any of it works, but that is a fairly awesome little bit to have, that seems way ahead of its time too. Make sure you keep them waters open Derc! Otherwise the Scots will rise again (you know they're planning on in anyway ).
    They did. Multiple times. It's like you've foreseen this chapter. :|

I like that Scotland is dead and Denmark won over Sweden. A great update. Pls stop now because deep down in my Danish heart I know it'll only get worse from here. :/
    I am so sorry.

The assassin were you, right? Arghun sounds Mongolian. My theory is that Khan Scumbag I didn't want to wait any longer.
    Yes indeed. You can assassinate your own Characters here, even your Ruler. He wasn't the youngest anymore and his Heir had way better stats. My chances weren't pretty high but somehow it worked. Not sure if this could be considered luck or not.
    Last edited by Derc; February 05, 2019 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Fix'd a very bad typo | add contentbox

Quote Originally Posted by Derc
    Yes indeed. You can assassinate your own Characters here, even your Ruler. He wasn't the youngest anymore and his Heir had way better stats. My chances weren't pretty high but somehow it worked. Not sure if this could be considered luck or not.
    That's really cool that you can do that. That allows for a lot more in-depth gameplay and roleplaying of your faction, and would be an awesome boon for any more in-depth narrative style AAR to make use of. Has this feature found its way into any of the newer TW releases? I must admit I've never even thought of assassinating my own characters, so I don't know if it's possible.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    They did. Multiple times. It's like you've foreseen this chapter. :|
    Well I learned in a documentary that the best time to shoot a scottish army is right at the beginning when they are showing their bums to you:

Tell your horsearchers.
    I am so sorry.
    We both know that's not true.

You cheated!
    Last edited by Cookiegod; November 13, 2018 at 03:12 PM.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Campidoctor

That's really cool that you can do that. That allows for a lot more in-depth gameplay and roleplaying of your faction, and would be an awesome boon for any more in-depth narrative style AAR to make use of. Has this feature found its way into any of the newer TW releases? I must admit I've never even thought of assassinating my own characters, so I don't know if it's possible.
    Thanks for the +rep.
    If you play as Christian you can even put the Inquisition on your own ruler or other family members. Quite funny. Yes, these are some nice roleplaying elements.

You can assign your assassins to your own armies in newer TW titles which basically acts as counterspying, but nothing more.
    The only titles where you can ... um ... harass yourself are MTW1 and Shogun1 afaik.

Well I learned in a documentary that the best time to shoot a scottish army is right at the beginning when they are showing their bums to you. Tell your horsearchers.
    Tell me earlier next time.

You cheated!
    ☯️ Philosophy & Spirituality
    Could it be considered cheating if you make it only worse for yourself?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I really didn't.

The last part of this campaign will come this weekend.

Campidoctor

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Medieval 1 - Grand Campaign [End])

Medieval
    Grand Campaign

(Click to view)

This will get a very close one. We have to rush it massively now.

This is a generation we will not see grown up anymore.

The Portuguese reappear. This time with a really huge force. We destabilized the Moors a lot it seems.
    Very good for us.

We finally attack the Pope. He makes a surprise attack from the flank, conquering a few Balkan Provinces. But not for long.

In Africa the last province is conquered.

The Castilians also do reappear.
    Uhmm... I really hope they do not keep those armies.

Nope, they don't.

I seriously do NOT know how likely it is for this to happen: Portuguese and Castilians seemed to spawn in the same region with a difference of just 1 turn and fought themselves, killing each others King in turn (Castilians annihilated the Portguguese King, they become Rebels, Rebels kill the Castilian King, Castilians become Rebels themselves).
    Never witnessed anything like that. Maybe one of the biggest fails I've ever seen in any campaign.

Ok, now I definitely know we won't make it in time.

Grand offensive in Italy. Pillage everything that's possible.

I won't go without insulting Christendom one last time!

Hwuahaha, I'm such an awful person!

Let's check out the map a last time.

That we are certain of.

Well, here we are. This is it.
    📘 Alternate History
    Just imagine what would have happened if the Mongols actually managed to push this deep into Europe, holding parts of it longer than a century.
    This scenario is unlikely as their warfare wasn't made for the dense humid forests of Europe - but it's not too unlikely either. They conquered China after all. This does not have to mean anything but let's just imagine that the Mongols did it and conquered almost everything.

If they actually pulled it off their Empire would've imploded the very moment they stopped advancing.
    Europe was smaller than China but a lot more diverse. There were a lot of small Kingdoms, not a single big one. Keeping all those subjugated Nations at bay would've required a constant policy of fear. As we all know, nothing good ever comes out of that.

It could be expected that the collapse of the Mongol Empire would have triggered a mixture of a second Dark Age and the Renaissance.
    Civilization was overrun, it's fundaments shaken to the core. America might still have been discovered in this 15th century but the world as we know it was destroyed beyond repair.
    New societies and religions might have formed, living along the remnants of Christendom and Islam. Mongols didn't hold Europe long enough for Cultures to fall apart. "France" and "Germany" might still have reappeared but not in the shape as we know it. And we would most likely not have had Computers in the 21. Century as Civilization needed its time to rebuild again.

But who knows? Maybe I am completely wrong.
    One might say I overestimate as Civilization proved times and again that it can handle dark times - evolving, coming out of it stronger and more advanced than before. China recovered quite well from the Mongols. But, as said, it can't be compared to Europe.
    What do you think?

Let's find out what I managed to achieve:

🏠 House Rules & Special Goals
    Unwritten Rules:
    • Conquer the whole map - Failed
    • No exploits, hacks, etc. blah bla blubb - Check

Written ones:
    • Savage Heathen: I can't initiate diplomacy myself, except for declaring war of course. - Check
    • Total Subjugation: No Vassals! - Check
    • They should've fought the Horde instead: Help an ally to defeat his foe, then backstab said ally - Failed (I always was attacked first before I could backstab anyone)

⭐ Conclusion: Medieval 1 - Grand Campaign
    • The atmosphere - the music, the gritty artstyle, the texts. It's just awesome.
    • Contains some nice functions for roleplaying.
    • Unfortunately lots of ahistorical nonsense.
    • Nice difficulty. Can be quite hard.
    • Ship and Stability mechanics are not so cool. (Latter depends on your ruler ... and his location on the map? Why is that?).
    • Diplomacy is too simple. You can only propose alliances, marriages or ceasefires. Or declare war. Nothing else.
    • Bad port to modern systems.

It has its strengths and weaknesses, just like any other title.
    I like it.

The first campaign is over, a few more to go.
    There will be a little pause before the next campaign begins. I need to focus on some work now.
    When this is done we'll continue with a campaign that ... well ... features a lot of battles.
    So long.
    Last edited by Derc; February 05, 2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Added Conclusion | add contentbox

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Medieval 1 - Grand Campaign [End])

Nicely done Derc! I liked the wrap up post here, and I must (guiltily) admit that your two late game assassinations, and your reactions to them, were simply brilliant. Killing the pope and a princess, just to get one last stab in *wink wink* before the end. So unnecessary. So funny! I also like your inclusion of some food for though at the end there, as well as the conclusion and assessment of how well you met your goals.

Alternate History - Thoughts

I'm not sure that a complete Mongol conquest of Europe would have been so devastating. Society would indeed have been shaken to its core, but the elimination of so many nobles, and the subsequent brutal demonstration of how inept their system was for protecting the lower classes might have led to a more rapid shift to more modern forms of government. At the very least, I would imagine that some regions would switch to anarchic forms of organization (not an oxymoron, as anarchy still involves organization, just not proper government), and more would play around with democracy. This would probably come about for three reasons.

1. Simple reason: with so many nobles dead, it might not be easy to recreate feudal or noble-based systems of government, necessitating something else coming in its place. And without rulers who rule by birthright, the natural alternative is ones who rule by might or consent of those below. This would be further bolstered by the lack of Christian flunkies saying "Yes, the Lord wills it. Now be a good peasant and do what this king says or you're not getting into heaven. [aside to king] When am I getting paid for this?"

2. Related to 1., a big part of hereditary power hanging on in Europe had to do with the close relationship between the church and nobility, and the religious idea of the "Great Chain of Being" which told commoners it was genuinely wrong for them to go against their rulers. Without the church pushing that idea (and using the promise of everlasting life to "incentivize" the deal), commoners might have rebelled at an earlier period.

3. Christianity clamped down on a lot of science, progressive philosophy, and intellectualism in general for a long time, and with that weight gone (and more pluralism of ideas besides), it is likely that there would have been a stronger atmosphere of discovery and forward thinking following a collapse of the Mongol Empire. Sure, there would be problems and bad things too, but there wouldn't be Inquisitors making scientists censor themselves, there wouldn't be a church with the power to silence whole ways of thinking and living, and there would be generally more heterogeneity in society, which usually breeds more innovation and clever problem-solving.

For those reasons, I can imagine it actually going somewhat well in this alternate history. Just my two cents though, and obviously wildly speculative. Anyone else have competing theories? Preferably ones with much doom and gloom (they make for more fun reading )!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Great finishing post and I enjoyed your closing thoughts. Is it possible to keep playing after the end turn? I quite like the idea of playing a long game myself because those rebel stacks looked like they could really challenge an over-stretched empire (and keeps the late game interesting.)

Nice thoughts Kilo. It is interesting to think that history could have been so wildly different, better even.

My alternate history is that the mongol empire thrived until they were destroyed by an orbital Inca satellite.

Campidoctor

Alternate History - Thoughts

I'm not sure that a complete Mongol conquest of Europe would have been so devastating. Society would indeed have been shaken to its core, but the elimination of so many nobles, and the subsequent brutal demonstration of how inept their system was for protecting the lower classes might have led to a more rapid shift to more modern forms of government. At the very least, I would imagine that some regions would switch to anarchic forms of organization (not an oxymoron, as anarchy still involves organization, just not proper government), and more would play around with democracy. This would probably come about for three reasons.

1. Simple reason: with so many nobles dead, it might not be easy to recreate feudal or noble-based systems of government, necessitating something else coming in its place. And without rulers who rule by birthright, the natural alternative is ones who rule by might or consent of those below. This would be further bolstered by the lack of Christian flunkies saying "Yes, the Lord wills it. Now be a good peasant and do what this king says or you're not getting into heaven. [aside to king] When am I getting paid for this?"

2. Related to 1., a big part of hereditary power hanging on in Europe had to do with the close relationship between the church and nobility, and the religious idea of the "Great Chain of Being" which told commoners it was genuinely wrong for them to go against their rulers. Without the church pushing that idea (and using the promise of everlasting life to "incentivize" the deal), commoners might have rebelled at an earlier period.

3. Christianity clamped down on a lot of science, progressive philosophy, and intellectualism in general for a long time, and with that weight gone (and more pluralism of ideas besides), it is likely that there would have been a stronger atmosphere of discovery and forward thinking following a collapse of the Mongol Empire. Sure, there would be problems and bad things too, but there wouldn't be Inquisitors making scientists censor themselves, there wouldn't be a church with the power to silence whole ways of thinking and living, and there would be generally more heterogeneity in society, which usually breeds more innovation and clever problem-solving.

For those reasons, I can imagine it actually going somewhat well in this alternate history. Just my two cents though, and obviously wildly speculative. Anyone else have competing theories? Preferably ones with much doom and gloom (they make for more fun reading )!
    Yes, that sounds very plausible.
    Everything could have happened. It's if the slate was wiped clean. That's why it is so hard to say anything about it.
    People who were otherwise subjugated and forgotten in our real timeline might have risen to power in this one (The Hussites, for example). Awful Kings, good Kings. No one can tell for sure.

But one thing is for certain: The Invasion from the East, altogether with the Bubonic Plague, would have instilled a trauma in the People of the West. More so than it did in RT (Orcs are roughly inspired by Mongols by the way). It would have been a very apocalyptic scenario.
    It was still the deadliest acts of mass killings in human history, killing around 5% of the world's population. It could only have been so much worse in this timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Beams View Post
    Great finishing post and I enjoyed your closing thoughts. Is it possible to keep playing after the end turn? I quite like the idea of playing a long game myself because those rebel stacks looked like they could really challenge an over-stretched empire (and keeps the late game interesting.)
    You can't. Not here in Med1. 1453 is the end date.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Beams View Post
    My alternate history is that the mongol empire thrived until they were destroyed by an orbital Inca satellite.
    That sounds a bit unlikely.

Citizen

A mongol invasion would've thrown Europe, and especially the German people, a few more years behind, but nothing more. They would not have stayed. We know that because they didn't anywhere else except for China. And even there they needed a Chinese to explain to them that taxation is more efficient than looting every year. And from there it didn't take them long to become Chinese.

The Mongols were able to hold on to the Tartar lands because those were settled by Nomads (Cumans) even before. The Tatar language is a Turkic one, not a Mongolian one. So basically the Dynasties got replaced, and that's basically it.
    We also know what happened to the Russians who did lose to them (mainly because they were called to help by the Cumans who promptly deserted them in the battle at Khalka to be surrounded) and even had to deal with Crusades, and Polish-Lithuanian hordes from the West (who were just as genocidal as those from the east).
    The result was basically that Russia got thrown several hundred years behind in its development and the most lasting territorial losses weren't to the Mongols, but to those in the West.

I don't doubt the Mongol ability for conquering and looting, especially since Russia was/is full of dense forrests and European terrain is easy peasy compared to e.g. Persia. And the Mongols did do it a bit like the Huns, recruiting those they had submitted earlier to help them win campaigns. But Christianity in itself would've presented a problem to them. The eastern church was severely weakened due to the eastern crusade (which had negative consequences on the trade the Rus depended on), but the Western church was stronger than ever. So the Western European countries would have been far more able to rally against a common enemy, and the mongols would've had a much harder time recruiting in those christian countries which they would've subjugated. Since the troops used would've had to be recruited somewhat close (bringing levy's from central asia and China to Europe wouldn't be worth the trouble), that would've presented a problem.

An additional argument could be made for castles, though I don't believe in that one. Persia had lots of castles, such as the one at Alamut. That didn't stop the Mongols from roflstomping through it.

But most importantly, the Mongols weren't used to govern. They simply didn't know how. They would've come and gone, like they did, and only stay where the culture already was Nomadic.
    Like those aforementioned Tartar Khanates, who remained Turkic in spite of Mongol leaders.
    The last Dshengizid Khanate to be destroyed was the Khanate of Siberia. The people there can hardly be called Mongolian, but their Khan was.

So all comes down to how far west the Mongols would've pushed. In reality they stopped just short of Germany, and the Germans profited. Much of Eastern Europe was repopulated with Germans, and the Polish and Lithuanians used Russia's struggle against the Mongols for their own territorial gains.
    If the Mongols had destroyed Germany in the same way they did with the Rus and Hungary, then France, Italy and England would've profited. If they'd go all the way, then no one would've profited and Europe would've recovered after a couple of years essentially unchanged.

Speaking of genocidal maniacs, I'm surprised you killed princesses, instead of using them for genocide. I know no one who has mastered the use of naive little girls for mass murder as perfectly as you have.

Campidoctor

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Intermezzo)

Excellent text Cookie, and a fantastic conclusion to this campaign.

I learned one thing during this first campaign: You just can't go into detail too much. It would bloat up tremendously. Just too many things happen. It was a nice campaign but it felt too generic at times.

I'm gonna try to tackle that with the next campaign. It will start in around one week. It will not be a big Europe campaign but rather concentrate on a single war, one that happened in reality. This allows me to go much more into depth.

I want to give the history-component a bigger value, at least in some campaigns. The next scenario is perfect for that. A lot of sources exist, it has some very nice battles and it's a rather unusual TW. I'm really cyrus how it will turn out.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Intermezzo)

I enjoyed the conclusion to your campaign, your reflections on the game and the discussion you began about what would have happened in Europe if the Mongol invasion had gone further and led to a long-lasting occupation.

You said that you learned that we can't go into too much detail, because too many things happen. That's a good point, successful AARs tend to be selective. Of course, there are lots of different ways to write an AAR, different writers will choose to focus on different aspects of their campaigns (when the AAR is focused on a campaign).

I look forward to your next campaign and to seeing how the expanded component about history will work in relation to this historical war.
    Last edited by Alwyn; November 25, 2018 at 02:35 AM.

Campidoctor

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Rome - Alexander)

The Middle Ages are over. We go way - way - back in time when the world was an entire different place.
    However, as different as the world was back then, some things never change. Being threatened by the East is one such thing.

The year is 336 BCE. The Greek World is looking death in the eye. It has nothing more to lose.
    Persia holds almost the entire world and is now looking forward to finally add Greece to their domain.
    But the Greeks are no people to be enslaved. They rather die fighting like Lions.

Trying times require exceptional men. With Philipp II of Macedon one such man had risen.
    A man who united the Greek World in the fight against the Persians, even if it was by force.
    But Philipp lies dead.

Hope is not entirely shattered as his son, Alexander, shows great potential to continue where Philipp left of.
    Maybe even exceed him.

Total War: Rome - Alexander
    Macedon Campaign

Starring: Alexander the Great, Parmenion

Alexander will teach the Persians what it costs to trifle with the Greeks.
    Thermopylae showed it: Courage, or may it be madness, is required to fight them. Not numbers but fear decides who is the winner.

It is a fight against all odds. They may all die but at least they would inflict as much damage as possible to the hated enemy.
    And so the Soldiers left home, not expecting to return ever again.

⚙️ Authors Note - Technical
    I forgot to increase the Screen Resolution at the beginning. I only noticed it when I was already halfway done. Whoopsie.
    Well, screw it. The low resolution gives it a very nostalgic look. :p
    Last edited by Derc; March 02, 2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: 'Thermopylae' without 'ph' | 'triffle' -> 'trifle'

Campidoctor

Rome - Alexander
    Table of Contents

Overall Campaign Ambience

🏠 House Rules & Special Goals
    • Another Road: Do NOT take the usual path (which would be Asia Minor > Levant > Egypt > Mesopotamia > Persia > Bactria)
    • No One Would Have Expected This: Persia has to be the first faction to be destroyed
    • Homeboy: Pella has to remain the Capital

⭐ What makes this Campaign special (in my opinion)
    • Obvious focus on battles, no diplomacy
    • Just two teams: You vs everyone
    • Unique starting situation. Can be quite a challenge.
    • Nice location
    • Has the rarest faction of any TW-Game (India, which only appears in one historical battle)
    • Very nostalgic feeling

Last edited by Derc; May 08, 2021 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Updated ToC

Oh great, I'm looking forward to this. A few months ago I was reading up on the Diadochi Wars. Does this campaign include Alexander's generals in his army? I look forward to seeing your battles against the Indian forces. Nice intro you made to this AAR also. Top-notch!

Make it happen Derc!

Have you played the campaign yet, or are you possible taking suggestions regarding the overall strategy? I was thinking that given your goal to take a road less traveled, you could go west and hit India from the other side. They'd never see it coming!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources