Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Derc Plays Through World History

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: view of Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Napoleon - Napoleon's Campaigns) by Cookiegod

I came for the "most historical TW game ever", only to immediately be greeted by a prerevolutionary France with the tricolore. smh

You losing a war in the tutorial against Sardinia (!!!) somewhat made up for it tho. 1 liberté out of 1.94903631 égalités

Pls don't remind me of ABBA ever again

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Napoleon - Napoleon's Campaigns)

I am loving this, and am super psyched to see how this game holds up. I still have never played either Empire or Napoleon TW, but I've always been intrigued by both. Maybe you can sell me on getting one or the other.

Also, I have to say that I think you are improving greatly as a writer, which is very cool to see, especially given that we're witnessing basically your entire development in the craft. Seriously, from your first campaign up to this one, you have been consistently becoming sharper and sharper, and the bits of thoughtfulness, wit, and sardonic humor show just how far you've come. I look forward to seeing how far you still will go!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Napoleon - Napoleon's Campaigns)

Yay, baguettes for everyone!

Let the jank commence!

Campidoctor

Napoleon: Total War
    Napoleon's Campaigns

--------------------------
    (Click to view)

1796. Napoleon was now General in charge of the Italian army. His task was to push out the Austrians from northern Italy, "liberating" it in the process.

Once Italy is secured, the push into Austrian heartlands needs to be done. When Klagenfurt is captured, the Austrians will most likely ask for peace.

Not only would a successful campaign in Italy expand France's influence and give access to great riches, it would also be necessary for the troops in the north to advance.

Napoleon earned quite a reputation, despite still being so young. The Italian Campaign is more important than anything before.
    Setting out from Nice, greatness awaits.

Thinking back to the campaign of Alexander, Napoleon had to pick up on his momentum and strike through the land as quickly as possible. He did.
    Genoa, Coni and all the regions surrounding Turin fell fast. Cannons worked wonders.

Sardinia-Piedmont was overwhelmed in record time. If everything would work as smooth as this conquest, then the whole world would be at France's feet.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Woops, I "accidentally" destroyed it. Afaik you automatically subjugate Sardinia-Piedmont once you take Turin. Can't happen if you conquered every other city before.

Napoleon continued on his path, eventually conquering Milan. He let himself parade as liberator. A sharade. Napoleon knew just how important it was to have the local population on his side. He has read enough history books about it all.

Eventually Napoleon's advance was stopped by the Austrians at the Adda river. This would be the biggest battle Napoleon had fought so far. And a very important one. It would decide the fate of Italy.

📝 Authors Note
    A pretty boring battle it was. The troops just stood there at the opposite side of the river, shooting each other until they fled.

With the Austrian army wiped, what could stop Napoleon now? Nothing. Italy was delivered to Napoleon like a cake.

Once again Napoleon celebrated himself as liberator, and once again a puppet state was established.

This did not sit well with the most serene Republic. They feared for their independence. This time not because of the Austrians, but because of the French.

Rightly so. It may be better for the Italians to unite. A single strong Italian state could be of enormous help in the future. It would also easily legitimate Napoleon to conquer the rest of Italy. Such the Cisalpine Republic is declared.

⚙️ Authors Note - Technical
    It was some early form of a pseudo North Italian state. A puppet of France, of course. Napoleon later converted it into a kingdom, but it wouldn't last longer than 1814. Nevertheless, the idea of a genuine Italian state was created, and the Italians made it a reality in 1861.
    That backfired, France.

It was normal for the various Italian states to grow worrysome. For the Pope it was too worrysome.

It stands the question of who to deal with first. Leaving Venice alone would allow it to redeploy, backed by their respectable fleet and the Austrians. Leaving the Pope alone, however, would mean Italian resistance would grow in the region.

The Armée d'Italie was split into two. The idea was to conquer the outer regions, eventually getting control of the alpine passes and the shores of the adria, and block both Austria and Venice there while Napoleon deals with the Pope.

Napoleon thought it would be best to seize Lucca and Florence before doing so. He did not care that Florence declared to be neutral and Lucca was even allied to France.

Man, settlements provide no protection at all here. The spawned militia is such a joke, it makes peasant rabble from earlier titles blush. Combined with OP French forces and autocalc, this is the result.

Looks ok on the first look, yeah. But on the second one? Keep in mind that I attacked a fullstack capitol with the cheapest troops. Also militia, but slightly better one.
    I admit there are worse examples. Let's not show them.

Plans had changed. Austrians and Venetians attacked the northern army. The attack failed miserably, and Venice was out of the race before Napoleon was even done with the Pope.

Papal resistance was met in Ancona. And broken.

Understanding that any more battles were futile, the Pope took the weightful decision to let the French troops do as they please.
    Countless works of art are taken as a price of victory, and the Pope renounced all claims on Avignon. A historical day.

History beckons, indeed. We just need to destroy these troops before it is over.

The Battle of Carinthia will be decisive. If the Austrians are defeated, they will beg for peace.
    Easier said than done. Napoleon got delayed, with only Sérurier and his troops facing the enemy. The Austrians wiped the right side, important cannons covered only by some militia. A great mistake. Sérurier and many others paid with their lifes.

When Napoleon finally did arrive, he found a bloodbath. Most of Sérurier's troops were fleeing, but the enemy was also worn down. Napoleon had easy play that way. The battle was won, but it was a shameful victory in what was otherwise an almost flawless campaign.

With the Battle of Carinthia over, the way to Klagenfurt was free, and with the fall of Klagenfurt the Austrians were finally willing to accept the inevitable. France had won.
    The Italian Campaign was a grand success both for France and Napoleon. Glorious are the nation and the man himself!

Weekly Dose of (Anti-)Napoleonic Propaganda

A comparison of two paintings depicting Napoleon's crossing of the Alps, heavily romanticized vs. realistic approach.

Glad to see you guys all together again.

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    I stopped playing it myself after my game crashed in the decisive moment of the decisive battle (I have a screenshot somewhere)
    Seems like you had your personal Waterloo.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I imagine you could also have fun with Napoleon quotes in writing about this campaign.
    There are a few good ones, but most only show how full of himself Napoleon was. This campaign actually "only" has three Napoleon quotes.

I came for the "most historical TW game ever", only to immediately be greeted by a prerevolutionary France with the tricolore. smh
    You losing a war in the tutorial against Sardinia (!!!) somewhat made up for it tho.
    See? There was the white flag!

1 liberté out of 1.94903631 égalités
    Much better scala than the imperial one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    I am loving this, and am super psyched to see how this game holds up. I still have never played either Empire or Napoleon TW, but I've always been intrigued by both. Maybe you can sell me on getting one or the other.
    Quite easy to answer. Empire is more about quantity, Napoleon is more about quality. It's nice to have such a big map in ETW, but everything feels so dull, and most of the western nations are basically the same, except for the color and a special unit or two. Also, a whole lot of balance and technical errors. NTW inherits many of these problems and even creates some new ones, but at least they fixed a significant thing, and that is atmosphere. That and some parts of the AI.

Also, I have to say that I think you are improving greatly as a writer, which is very cool to see, especially given that we're witnessing basically your entire development in the craft. Seriously, from your first campaign up to this one, you have been consistently becoming sharper and sharper, and the bits of thoughtfulness, wit, and sardonic humor show just how far you've come. I look forward to seeing how far you still will go!
    Thanks . There was a lot of inspiration from these cutscenes, as you might've seen. In want these and the text to go hand in hand. Some good preparation is really important. Had to rework many parts times and again. Still far away from the skill of you guys, but I think my focus lies somewhere else anyway. At least for the next campaigns. They will be simpler. The Napoleonic era, however, is too important and too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Yay, baguettes for everyone!

Let the jank commence!
    Aye, we will have French warfare!

Citizen

I like Napoleon's/your take on politics. Would it be absurd for me to state that your allies were out of Lucc(a)?

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Another good one, and if I am seeing this right, you properly steam-rolled your way through this campaign. Out of curiosity, is the campaign timed well so that you finish right about in time (as you did), or did you get delayed somewhere?

I like Napoleon's/your take on politics. Would it be absurd for me to state that your allies were out of Lucc(a)?
    Booooooooo. BOOOOOOOOOO!!! Things like this are why you aren't a Citizen! And #justiceforcookie demands that you get a good flogging for such puns!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Cool campaign, and impressively swift! Your description of the The Battle of Carinthia was nicely in the style of the introductions to the game's historical battles. You managed to take every region, I'm usually in a hurry just trying to complete the main objectives.

Campidoctor

Napoleon's Campaigns

(Click to view)

There were many reasons for France to invade Egypt. It slipped out of Ottoman control, and it was the gate to India. British trade would be crippled with Egypt under French control.
    For Napoleon it must have been like a dream come true. Egypt is a land of history and glory. Being here would mean to step into the footsteps of Alexander, Marc Antony and the like.

Yet Egypt wasn't the only goal. The whole Levant should fall to France. An insanely rich region, both in terms of culture and economy. The Ottoman Empire was about to become the sick man of Europe. With the Orient under French control, the whole globe would become a mere playball of France.

France was doing all of this for a noble cause, of course. First things first. Cairo must be 'liberated'.

Taking the Nile Delta proved to be no problem. Napoleon was astounded by this land. Yet he was forced to look somewhere else. The British had always been a thorn in France's side. It was no different in the Orient. But at least here this thorn could be removed, if Cyprus could be taken.

Napoleon wanted to address this task head on, and do it personally. He would have loved to see more of Egypt, especially the Pyramids, but the dreams of a boy were of not much importance in this crucial hour. If Napoleon learned one thing from the past, then it was that sacrifices had to be made, and that you have to take a risk. Fortune favours the bold, after all.
    He set out in hostile waters, patrolled by none other than the dreaded Admiral Nelson. The campaign in Egypt was left to Desaix and Kléber. It had to go on without Napoleon on the front, and the invasion of Cyprus had to succeed. An early watery grave awaited the ambitious general, should he fail.

Warfare in a distant land is a difficult task. One has to be adaptive and make best use of the resources offered.

📝 Authors Note
    Napoleon: Total War offers a lot of indepth, well researched descriptions about units, buildings, technologies. Perhaps the most complex ones of any Total War game. Learned a lot from them. Poor Aussies.

The dreaded Admiral Nelson landed an army in Egypt. What would otherwise be a cause for concern was a good thing this time. It meant that Nelson had not spotted Napoleon, and it also meant Napoleon was right. The British had to be removed as quickly as possible, or the campaign in Egypt would see more harassments like this.

A major battle between French and British forces never happened. As they heard that their base in Cyprus had been taken, the British immediately retreated. Napoleon did it! What a risky maneuver! What a madman he is!

I tested this a little bit beforehand. If you sail along the extreme edge of the map, Admiral Nelson does not seem to detect you. Many TW games have this issue. If you want to mess with the AI, place your armies at an extreme remote position. Try it.

Looks like Napoleon stepped in Alexander's footsteps more than he thought, sailing in hostile waters and all that. At least he did not get sunk this time. ;D

Unlike Rome2 and later titles, all troops disband once you conquered all settlements of a faction. Can be abused quite hard. That British stack was never a threat.

An important breakthrough was made.
    Unlimited money! What shall stop France now?

⚙️ Authors Note - Technical Not really. Only gives you some economical boost, lol.

Napoleon had already secured his place in history books, but both his story and the Egyptian Campaign were far from being over. This chapter has only just begun.

Black powder adds well to the sandstorms. Cairo was conquered under fire and dust.

A marvelous city, it's magic only exceeded by the Pyramids. A great victory for France, and an important day for science, as the knowledge of the Orient opened up to Western culture.

📕 History & Culture The campaign in Egypt led to the discovery of the Rosetta Stone, thus making it possible to translate hieroglyphs, initiating modern Egyptology, which would play a crucial role in the coming century.

Meanwhile Napoleon landed in Syria and is met with surprising little resistance. The calm before the storm? The Ottomans are bound on multiple fronts, so it was important to move quickly before they could react. For a second Napoleon just felt like Alexander, using the momentum to overwhelm the enemy.

Anatolia was no goal. Syria was to be the outhernmost frontier for the rest of the campaign, its settlement specialized for defense and supplies, while Napoleon went on his crusade along the Levant.

The plan was to take the whole coast between Egypt and Syria in under half a year.

📝 Authors Note
    My unusual expansion confused the game pretty much. The AI didn't know what to do and many of the mission texts didn't make much sense anymore.

Not everything can work perfectly. The citizens of Cairo show what they think of their liberation.

This will be addressed soon. An expedition was currently taking place south, breaking all remaining Mamluk presence, at the same time further exploring the magnificient Nile. Where might its source be located? Who knows what riches would await France there?

Fear might be an unloved tactic, but it's also an efficient one. A hard stance was shown against the protestors in Cairo. They paid the price for their defiance with both money and their heads.

Pure history has been made, and the Egyptian campaign had been a great success so far.

That changed now. The Mamluks were nearly subjugated and Napoleon continued his advance in the Levant, but the troops grew tired and the Ottomans were closing in from three sides. Napoleon couldn't count on reinforcements with certainty, neither from Egypt nor from France. Should he be forced to abandon the campaign in the East, just like Alexander had to do? No sir, there was still a long road ahead.

British propaganda combining the exotic with their hatred for the French.
    Extract from the description of the British Museum:
    Quote Originally Posted by British Museum
    Nelson (left) leads two weeping crocodiles, one with the head of Fox, the other that of Sheridan. Their long jaws (projecting from the neck) are closed with metal bands connected by a chain held by Nelson, who wears naval uniform with a cocked hat, and the ribbon and star of the Bath. A patch over the eye indicates his recent wound. In Fox's crocodile-jaw is a padlock: 'A mouth Piece for Hypocrites'.

Feeling hot already? Fitting to the summer months here's the Egypt Campaign. NTW delivers an excellent atmosphere of the Orient. Reminds me so much of Tintin, and oh, of your AAR, Kilo.

Both Napoleon and I are jerks who love to roflstomp around, offending people wherever possible. Diplomacy? You do not need it here!

Another good one, and if I am seeing this right, you properly steam-rolled your way through this campaign. Out of curiosity, is the campaign timed well so that you finish right about in time (as you did), or did you get delayed somewhere?
    According to the victory conditions you only need 6 regions, one of them being your starting region (Nice) and the goal (Klagenfurt). Fighting the Pope is optional, and it's cool that was possible.
    Got delayed a few times. Once before meeting the Austrian troops after the conquest of Milan, a second time when I went to fight the Pope, and the last time when I had to wait for my troops in the south to return up north.
    About the timing...

Cool campaign, and impressively swift! Your description of the The Battle of Carinthia was nicely in the style of the introductions to the game's historical battles. You managed to take every region, I'm usually in a hurry just trying to complete the main objectives.
    Yeah, the campaign really forces you to rush it. Afaik there are only 43 turns. Felt pretty much like Total War Alexander. But luckily no Athena.
    Last edited by Derc; June 28, 2020 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Had to fix some past tense stuff. Not very intense.

Ah, that's how to take Cyprus without being intercepted by Nelson's fleet! A bold and effective move (I'll use your tip, the next time I play the Egypt Campaign). The references to real history and the historical cartoons are nicely done.

Citizen

Aah... Another one of Napoleon's glorious exploits. Hard to say where he exploited the AI more. Here or in real life.

Campidoctor

Napoleon's Campaigns

(Click to view)

Napoleon had to play a cat and mouse game with the enemy.
    Acre must be taken, and it must be taken quick. Napoleon had a bad feeling. Acre was a very defensive position, but this is just what made it so interesting. There was no time to loose. To make matters worse, Napoleon had no cannons with him.

Luckily his bad feelings didn't came true. Despite all the odds, he did it. This would not be the end of the Egyptian campaign.

Napoleon strenghtened his defensive position, but he still had no chance against the Ottoman forces as of now.
    Their armies were coming, raiding one city after another.

Sometimes less honorable actions are required to ensure glory in the end. Desperate times require desperate measures.
    A wise move would be to discreetly get rid of the most important Ottoman generals, and to sabotage important buildings.

Napoleon needs to make good use of local Auxiliaries. Alexander did the same. He had shown the world just how many potential they have.

The Ottomans are coming!

While Napoleon was busy defending against the Ottomans, Desaix was busy subduing the Bedouines. No easy task, especially not in this rough terrain.

These desert dwellers are interesting people, telling many mysterious stories written in sand. Some of this knowledge can be useful in the future.

Even though they are not a united people, waging war with one tribe often means war with many others. The Bedouines might be nomads, but they are no primitive savages. Only a fool would underestimate them.
    This holds true when they decimated half the Armée d' Egypte.

Even though some of them were beaten, there were still many other tribes spread around lower Egypt, the Sinai and Arabia.

The Mamluks were still around, having put up their last defences around Suez.
    Ah, Suez. Taking it would give access to the Red Sea, and also to the remains of the old canal.

What was long gone can be resurrected. Rebuilding the canal would shorten the road to India by an incredible lot, and would bring eternal glory to France. It can be done. It MUST be done. The canal shall be funded with the spoils of France's glorious campaigns!

The canal can actually not be build ingame. It's just a mission that gives you 2000 bucks upon completion. Booh!

Reinforcements from France finally arrived. With it, Napoleon and his men broke the Ottoman lines in several bigger and smaller battles. Most of the Ottoman army retreated towards Damascus.

Shooting off the nose of the Sphinx was a hoax by the British, trying to slander French reputation.
    Shooting off turbans however? It happened.

The remaining Bedouin tribes were subjugated. Fighting them was brutal. French troops are not accustomed to this hostile climate. It was only with sheer power, the help of already subjugated tribes, local Auxiliaries and a lot of "diplomacy" that they could be outdone. Bedouin knowledge might be useful to travel the desert safely in the future.

Dromedar Cavalry does not get any penalty when travelling the desert. Found that out a bit too late. Lost almost two whole armies to attrition. Attrition is brutal. Love it.

It took half a year for French reinforcements to arrive. Napoleon was now ready to bring the campaign to an end.

Let's harass some Ottoman fishermen before we do.

📝 Authors Note
    They had a single ship. Woooooow.

French soldiers wondered why they had to conquer a remote desert village in the middle of nowhere, but orders were orders.

📝 Authors Note
    Tabouk was incredible hard to reach. It took AGES. Don't know why it is on the map anyway. There's just nothing there.

Only Damascus remained. The last great price in the Orient.

This is where major French and Ottoman forces finally clashed. One last battle under the desert sun. A feast for the vultures.

As the new century was dawning, the Egyptian campaign was coming to an end. Ottoman forces retreated, a ceasefire was signed, decimating the massive Ottoman Empire by half of its territory. What a grand victory!
    There would be a lot of expeditions to Egypt in this long coming century. France's future looked promising, and yet there was not much time to celebrate, as the events back in Europe were overturning themselves.
    1800... This would, indeed, be a long and interesting nineteenth century.

Caricature showing Napoleon leaving his army and Egypt, stolen goods and an evil smirk going with him.
    Extract from the description of the Royal Museums Greenwich:
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal Museums Greenwich
    The caption refers to a group of ‘Intercepted Letters from the Republican General Kléber, to the French Directory’ and denounces Napoleon as ‘the Deserter of the Army of Egypt’. This refers to a batch of letters between Bonaparte and Kléber that was intercepted by the British in the Mediterranean and, as a propaganda ploy, published by the government to great acclaim. They contained Kléber’s account of Napoleon’s sudden departure from Egypt: ‘Bonaparte quitted this country for France … without saying a word of his intention to any person whatsoever.‘

Ah, that's how to take Cyprus without being intercepted by Nelson's fleet! A bold and effective move (I'll use your tip, the next time I play the Egypt Campaign). The references to real history and the historical cartoons are nicely done.
    The Egypt Campaign is my favourite part in this game. Played it a few times, always being annoyed by the British. You guys know by now that I love weird expansion, so I tried it and, well, it worked.

Aah... Another one of Napoleon's glorious exploits. Hard to say where he exploited the AI more. Here or in real life.
    Napoleon would've been a great Hotseat player.

Two great updates! In particular, I really liked the pic from the siege of Acre. Those walls looked super cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Derc
    Tabouk was incredible hard to reach. It took AGES. Don't know why it is on the map anyway. There's just nothing there.
    I resent this comment. It only seems like there's nothing there cause your map way made by nasty Europeans! Napoleon couldn't hack it in the desert, so he acted like there was no reason to go any further in it. Bedu for life!!!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Campidoctor

Napoleon's Campaigns

(Click to view)

Napoleon became Emperor. The French beheaded their king, established the Republic, only to see it replaced by an Empire. Fate can be insulting sometimes, but perhaps this was just the bloody path to real greatness.

The Coalition Wars were raging. Was it the third coalition? The fourth? What does it matter? Europe was in the middle of one of the biggest wars in its entire history.

Before we begin, let me correct one thing first.

The little boy from Corsica has become the most influental man of his era, remaking France, Italy, Egypt, and now about to remake Europe.

Prussia remained neutral. It was expected that they would join the coalition soon, so the idea was to conquer Germany while it was still divided.
    Four troops against a fullstack of militia? No problem with autocalc.

Quote Originally Posted by Derc, Italy Campaign View Post
    I admit there are worse examples. Let's not show them.
    I lied.

Not every German nation was hostile. Those that were a thorn in Prussia's and Austria's side were of good use for France. Saxony acted as a buffer state against Austria and Prussia, and as long as they wouldn't grant military access to them, they were in Napoleon's favour.

It is good to know that the Austrians were busy anyway.
    The Ottomans could not considered to be French allies. Not after Egypt. But a shared meal is still tasty.

Prussia condemned French warfare in Germany, accelerating their decision to join into the coalition. Onwards to Berlin, monsieur!

The primary goal was to throw Prussia out of western Germany before more troops could arrive.
    General Davout found a weak spot in Prussian lines, allowing him and his cavalry to flank Prussian troops, taking out their cannons, their Jägers and their lesser troops in one swoop. This, however, required the Line Infantry to bind the Prussian troops at the front at all costs. The plan succeeded. The Rhineland fell.

📝 Authors Note
    Cavalry charges usually do not work that well in this era. You get shot to pieces before you troops arrive at their goal. However, if it works out, it is all the more powerful.

The advance in central Germany, however, stalled. Prussia is a nation hatched from a cannonball. It had one of the most disciplined armies in the world. It was nowhere as dangerous as it was in the times of Frederick the Great, but they were still one of the strongest nations on earth.

Indeed, history repeated itself quite often. Just like back in the War of the First Coalition, the opportunity arose to take Austria from both sides; from Germany and from Italy. One might think they would not fall for the same strategy again, but the situation spoke a different language. Let's keep in mind that they are also at war with the Ottomans.

A perfect opportunity. Napoleon seizes it, this time from the other side of the Alps. He stormed through Bavaria into Bohemia. War was in Austrian lands once more.

Let's not forget about the dreaded British. Every opportunity to intercept their trade had to be taken, lowering their coffers while filling those of France.

Let's also not forgot about the own homeland in these interesting times. Plans for a glorious monument were already taking shape.

A marvelous task, and a very expensive one. The war shall fund it, cementing French glory. One hundred and eleven years from here on this monument will shine over a bright France, over a bright world, and people will remind the great sacrifice their forefathers have endured so they, in 1916, can live in peace! That's what they thought.

Austria was quickly falling apart. Onwards to Vienna!

Finally Napoleon had the chance to take the capitol of one of his rivals, and one of the greatest cities in Europe. What a humiliation it was to be!

The battles took place in the fields before Vienna, in the suburbs of the city, in the inner city itself. Everywhere. Much of this marvelous city got destroyed.

Empire TW introduced conquerable buildings. It can be a good tactic to sneak up a unit near the enemy, capture a building, and let your troops do their thing. The AI isn't able to handle it all too well. However, it is capable enough to fight back. A captured building is best secured with a few additional troops. Cannons can ruin your day, obviously, if the AI manages to handle them - which is, surprisingly, not that rare.

A great victory! The Coalition had no other option than to surrender, ceding half of the Austrian and German lands to France. Napoleon demanded a lot, and he did so for a reason. He knew that this was just a ceasefire, not a proper peace treaty. There was too much gunpowder in the air for this to last. The next war of the coalition was about to come. Soon.

Le Sacre de Napoléon
    (The Coronation of Napoleon)

No anti-Napoleonic propaganda this time. At least not directly.
    Napoleon himself requested Jacques-Louis David, his official painter (yes, there were such things), to paint this. If no smartphones are available, other means have to do.

Two great updates! In particular, I really liked the pic from the siege of Acre. Those walls looked super cool!
    Unlike previous and future Total Wars, sieges don't take that long in ETW and NTW. Even star fortresses are quickly taken. That's nothing bad. When I think about storming a citadel in Med 2 or something big in Rome II...
    Always enjoyable to shoot these beautiful walls into pieces with my cannons. IF I HAD SOME!

I resent this comment. It only seems like there's nothing there cause your map way made by nasty Europeans! Napoleon couldn't hack it in the desert, so he acted like there was no reason to go any further in it. Bedu for life!!!
    Indeed. What can't be conquered will just be marked as wasteland on the map. Europeans and their shenanigans. Took around 70 more years to realize their error, leading to even more atrocities. Sometimes being wrong or ignorant does not seem too bad.
    Last edited by Derc; July 12, 2020 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Some small fixes

That line about the mysterious desert dwellers was strangely familiar!

Reaching Berlin looks like a challenge. I doubt that you will need to fight defensively, but if you do, I find that the woods east of Kassel are a good ambush site.

Citizen

I was very distraught by you not replying to me at the bottom section. Then I realised I had forgotten to press send. Oh. The map is once more perfection. I have hardly ever seen such a beauty. The capital of Switzerland is well chosen. On the other hand your campaign actions so far have not pleased me. You ignored Stuttgart instead of burning it down, and you allied with the Saxons?! Ugh.
    But given your playstyle, and with Danes and Russians both on the map, I think I'll hate the next update even more.

Content Emeritus

That Cyprus play in the Egypt campaign really threw the game off didn't it. I agree, it is the most fun of all Napoleon's Campaigns.

I love the (Anti-) Napoleonic Propaganda. It's funny to see that mankind has not changed much, dunking on each other through graphical means. Those cartoonists were truly the memelords of their time.

Campidoctor

Napoleon's Campaigns

(Click to view)

The world was a boiling pot. France had not many friends in these turbulent times.

The Russians took Napoleon completely by surprise. Where did they came from? How did they made it to Venice?
    There was no other option than to surrender the city to them.

The citizens of Vienna were not content with their new overlords. They demanded the city back in Austrians hands. Understandable.

Request denied.

Betrayal! The Saxons sided with their German brothers.
    No one knew why they sent such a little army. Perhaps they just wanted to insult Napoleon.

Local militias defended Prague. France wore red for once. An unusual sight.

The peace with the Austrians did not even hold for two months.

Russians were thrown out of Venice, but they once again stood in the way when French forces arrived at Budapest.

The Russian troops were not what the Austrians had hoped for. They ran pretty quick, but the Austro-Hungarians stood fast in this chaotic battle, trying close combat wherever possible.

The war was becoming more and more expensive. It couldn't be funded with the spoils of conquests alone anymore. France had to improve its trade, even if it was dangerous.

The great powers of western and eastern Europe were about to share a border soon. Preparations had to be taken.

There are other nuisances from the East. The Ottomans haven't forgotten France's campaign in Egypt. Now they wanted their revenge.

One cannot advance everywhere, especially not if one doesn't knows what awaits him there. It is important to undermine the enemy within by any means, and get as much intel as possible.

The Prussians pushed back and took Hannover. Gebhard von Blücher led their armies. A crazy, yet genious man.

🎭 Funfact
    Von Blücher is one of many funny historical figures. That guy is famous for his excentric behaviour and his unyielding nature. To quote from Wikipedia:
    [...] still in pain and discomfort from his adventures at Ligny, still stinking of schnapps and of rhubarb liniment, yet he is all enthusiasm and energy.
    and...
    At the invitation of the British government, he made another state visit to England, to be formally thanked for his army and his role in the Waterloo Campaign. When his carriage stopped on Blackheath Hill, overlooking London, he is said to have exclaimed, "What a city to sack!"

At least there was some advance in other parts of Germany. The traitorous Saxons got conquered, connecting French possessions in Austria with the homeland.

One cannot run forever. Hannover would be the site of one of the most important battles in this war.

Prussian forces rushed in to mop up the smaller French forces in the west before Napoleon and his army could arrive from the south. One of their Generals got killed in this action, however. Outnumbered but with Prussian morale lowered, Napoleon resorted to attrition tactics. The battle became a stelamate and ended indecisive.

Napoleon went to show the ugly side of his nature, shooting German cities into oblivion for over a month. The smell of gunpowder became a constant, as did the bewailing of the population and the dying soldiers. In the end Blücher had to retreat. Napoleon got what he wanted.

Many people had to die to make this a reality. Hannover had fallen! More! Berlin had fallen! Napoleon rode through the Brandenburg Gate!

And yet celebrations were cut short once again, as another front was forced upon France. The accursed English have landed near Bordeaux. Mon dieu!

Picture depicting Napoleon and Death during the Battle of Leipzig.
    Extract from the description of the British Museum:
    Quote Originally Posted by British Museum
    The 'two Kings' gaze fixedly at each other, Death menacing, Napoleon as if trying to read a terrifying riddle. Death's left foot rests on a cannon-ball, the right on the broken shaft of an eagle. Behind is a symbolical representation of the battle.

That line about the mysterious desert dwellers was strangely familiar!

Reaching Berlin looks like a challenge. I doubt that you will need to fight defensively, but if you do, I find that the woods east of Kassel are a good ambush site.
    It is even so in real life. Soviets love this trick.

Yeah, the Prussians gave me a good time in this chapter. Couldn't show it well, but they sure did put up some noteworthy resistance.

I was very distraught by you not replying to me at the bottom section. Then I realised I had forgotten to press send.
    When I saw that you didn't bother to spam around last time, I was distraught too.

Oh. The map is once more perfection. I have hardly ever seen such a beauty.
    Yes, terrible. But TW Rome: Alexander will never be toppable.

The capital of Switzerland is well chosen. On the other hand your campaign actions so far have not pleased me. You ignored Stuttgart instead of burning it down, and you allied with the Saxons?! Ugh.
    I made a trade agreement with them. No one wants to trade with the French, as you've seen. No matter. They'll all burn soon enough. Leaving Bavaria alive? Or anyone else? Never!

But given your playstyle, and with Danes and Russians both on the map, I think I'll hate the next update even more.
    Relieved after this chapter? Still standing.
    They will be interesting, I assure you.

That Cyprus play in the Egypt campaign really threw the game off didn't it. I agree, it is the most fun of all Napoleon's Campaigns.
    Always fun to see what happens in a game when you don't play it the way you are supposed to. Even better if the adapts well. Oftentimes you get more fun than you would've gotten from a generic playthrough.

I love the (Anti-) Napoleonic Propaganda. It's funny to see that mankind has not changed much, dunking on each other through graphical means. Those cartoonists were truly the memelords of their time.
    Yeah, they are fantastic. That's why I had to include them somehow. Humanity always trolled around. Always.

Two great updates Derc! The second in particular was quite nice, with some unexpected setbacks and good bits of comedy in there as well. I must say though, I agree with Cook about the "Ugh" with regards to siding with Saxons. In the end, you got what you should have expected all along! But other than that, a great continuation. I am excited to see what will come in the next update, which I guess will probably be the final one for Napoleon...
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Content Emeritus

"Sacre bleu, une sword ready to attachez itself to mon neck." You see the hopelesness in that man's eyes as he sees his death approaching. More alive than some actors I know.

We all should be as lively as Blücher
    [...] still in pain and discomfort from his adventures at Ligny, still stinking of schnapps and of rhubarb liniment, yet he is all enthusiasm and energy.
    Now that's a way to live life.

Quote Originally Posted by Derc
    Yeah, they are fantastic. That's why I had to include them somehow. Humanity always trolled around. Always.
    One redeeming quality of the human race.

Campidoctor

Napoleon's Campaigns

(Click to view)

Knowledge is power. The fall of Berlin would not have gone so well if it wouldn't have been for some heroes in the shadows. For one of France's most trusted agents it was unfortunately the last mission.

Poland was brutally ripped apart by Prussia, Russia and Austria in the former century. A once mighty nation, gone within a few years. The subjugators were now about to face the same fate.

Yet it would have been foolish to focus entirely on them. There were many other problems that still had to be adressed. The Ottomans amassed alongside the Danube.

General Bernadotte came to defend Bordeaux against the British. The battle dragged on for some time, then the Spanish arrived and took the British from behind. The Duke of Wellington was captured. He sure is a capable man, one that is admired by both his men and his enemies. Perhaps the best General Britain has to offer. Sorry. *Had*

📕 History & Culture
    In a twist of fate, General Bernadotte later became king of Norway and Sweden and one of Napoleon's worst enemies.

There they lie, in the dirt! Haha! Aquitaine will never be under English rule ever again!

'Freeing' the Polish people would have to wait. Prussia was still strong. Even appeasing their regions was challenging.

The Balkans were conquered without much effort, but from here on the war once again comes to an halt.
    There was not much advancement in the coming months, on no front.

Science does not rest in times of war. Quite the opposite. A new system of measurement was established. A system to standardize lengths; to make them easy calculatable.
    "What is a meter anyway?", they asked, "How and why is it defined as it is?". They might have laughed back then, but they would not do so in a hundred years. This system would go around the whole world. Everyone will adapt it! It is just too genious not to.

Michel Ney is doing some skirmishes and a fashion show. Nothing new on the front.

One thing, however, was interesting. The British stronghold in Gibraltar was taken, and with that the economic in- and output of the entire Mediterranean was in control of France.

Interesting. It's never too late to be a lady.

Whoops. The performance of French agents kept lacking lately.
    I swear, agents are good for nothing in this game.

Breslau taken. Warsaw would be a harder nut to crack.

France has built an expensive armada, but it was still no match for the British fleet and their dreaded Admiral Nelson. Retreat!

None other than the crazy Von Blücher awaited Napoleon in the fields of Poland. Winter came early, but the battle was as heated as a summer day, and not even Prussian Lancers could stop Napoleon's advance.

📝 Authors Note
    Very confusing to fight the Prussians as France. Both are blue-white.

Warsaw was captured, but Blücher and a part of his army escaped.

Europe isn't the only continent filled with interesting news.

📕 History & Culture
    A few years earlier, Napoleon sold Louisiana to the USA. This was most likely the biggest purchase of land in the history of mankind, and a major step in what would be the decolonization of the Americas. Napoleon played a huge role in that, also because of his Spanish Campaign later on. He changed not only Europe, but also America significantly.

Even though they still had some armies, with the conquest of Königsberg Prussia was out of the race. Most of Central Europe was in Napoleon's grasp.
    The power of the Revolution was a wildfire, spreading everywhere. Was there any way stopping it?

British satiric print depicting Napoleon as a little man, overreacting, answering to every little offence with hostility.

Two great updates Derc! The second in particular was quite nice, with some unexpected setbacks and good bits of comedy in there as well. I must say though, I agree with Cook about the "Ugh" with regards to siding with Saxons. In the end, you got what you should have expected all along! But other than that, a great continuation. I am excited to see what will come in the next update, which I guess will probably be the final one for Napoleon...
    Killing Prussia, Russia, the Ottomans, Scandinavia, Italy, Spain, GB and everyone else in a single update? You are very optimistic. I'm afraid we have to stick with this rustic Corsican for a little while longer.

We all should be as lively as Blücher
    Now that's a way to live life.
    It inspired me somewhat. I feel a bit old lately, so I "did the Blücher" and rubbed myself with some weird stuff called 'Franzbranntwein' while having a shot of Pernod. Was a slight relief for body and soul, and funny enough quite fitting to the atmosphere of this campaign.

One redeeming quality of the human race.
    And just another reason to make war. Totally worth it, in this case.