Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Derc Plays Through World History

Campidoctor

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Rome II - Imperator Augustus)

Britannia is united under the Celts again. But when did they lose half of the Isles? What happened? We go back to that era, a few decades before the subjugation of Britannia became a reality. As we are about to find out, it was a time that changed not only Britannia, but the whole world forever.

41 BCE.
    Rome has grown so much in the past two decades. Almost all of the Mediterranean is a part of Rome.
    What is said in Rome goes out into the whole world.

Our conquests brought glory.
    But they came with a price. A terrible price.

Rome - it is in turmoil.
    All the glory has brought insanity with it.
    Romans fight Romans. Fratricide and patricide are common things.

People told me about this conversation. Gossip wanders fast around Rome.
    Putting leadership above the salvation of the people?!
    It is the talk of a madman!
    And as such it is the ultimate proof:

Those who wear the golden wreath grow sick with every kind of wickedness.
    They condemn and enslave.
    They betray their friends and murder those they love.
    They do all this and call it ...

... "just".

Total War: Rome II
    Imperator Augustus

Pompey's Rome

Starring: Sextus Pompeius Magnus

I am Pompey, the son of Neptune!
    I and my men are the last bastion of sense in this world of degeneration and debauchery.

Those Triumvirs! They spit on the legacy of the Republic. They tarnish the reputation of Rome!
    They see themselve as heirs of Caesar, name themselve "Emperors" - kings of kings.

Caesar ... I despise him.
    I despise all who want to step into his footsteps.

The power of the many was taken and given to the few.
    How could that be right?!

It is not.
    I know that and they know that, as the Triumvirate is fragile.
    It will collapse and soon the whole of Rome will plunge into civil war once again.

Each one of them wants all the power for himself.
    I am happy to join them in their meddling.
    I will block their harbors, starve them and kill them slowly ... one after another while they themselve are busy destroying each other.

At the end only one will stand.
    He will be the one who decides how Rome is to be reformed.
    He will have power over Rome. And with Rome ... over the whole world.

📝 Authors Note
    Catched the references to the Attila and Rome1 intros? Yes? Good!
    What, you did not? Good!

⚙️ Authors Note - Technical
    This was my first Rome II campaign and is the only one I played before the Ancestral Update came out which featured the family tree and a graphics update.
    Pretty interesting to see an older Rome II.

This is also the only one that I played on "hard" instead of "very hard", as I was very inexperienced with the newer Total War's at that time and just came back to the series after a longer pause. See where that'll lead to.

📕 History & Culture
    The Second Triumvirate was the direct result of Caesar overthrowing the Republic and his subsequent murder. A lot of groundbreaking reforms were established in this era, improving the Roman war machine even more.
    Caesar's civil war ultimately led to the Roman Empire. The Republic de facto remained to exist but was without much significant power anymore. Important decisions were made by the position of the Emperor, which, to the starting day of the campaign, wasn't yet entirely secured. Rome could have returned back to the old ways of the Republic, although unlikely.

If there's someone here who's not familiar with the origin of the conflict (or just is interested in more information), I can recommend a nice video series of Historia Civilis:

Historia Civilis Videos

Spoiler for the totally interested ones who haven't had enough videos already

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    Well, just finished the Alexander portion of this crazy and enjoyable adventure and I have to say Derc you have achieved something that I thought could never be done... You've managed to get me to enjoy a Rome 1: Alexander campaign!

I could not stand that campaign. The single playable faction. The countdown clock of doom every turn. Athena constantly pestering you that you weren't going fast enough. It basically took everything I loved about Total War and threw it out the window! Even BRIAN BLESSED himself couldn't save the campaign for me.
    "You must reach beyond mortal ambition and do what has never been done!"

[...]
    Nice foreshadowing, eh?
    Last edited by Derc; May 26, 2019 at 04:36 PM.

Campidoctor

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Rome II - Imperator Augustus)

Rome II - Imperator Augustus
    Table of Contents

Overall Campaign Ambience

🏠 House Rules & Special Goals
    • Vincit qui se vincit: Must unite all of Rome before I start conquering non-roman regions
    • Destitutus ventis, remos adhibe: Venture to the edges of the world
    • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur: Vassalize some poor tribe and keep it on the leash until the very end of the campaign

⭐ What makes this Campaign special (in my opinion)
    • Multiple Roman factions
    • Set in Rome's most influental time and the shift from BCE to CE
    • 4 turns per year
    • Hey, it's a free DLC!

Last edited by Derc; July 20, 2019 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Updated ToC

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

I have some mixed emotions with this AAR. On one hand I'm really excited and want to see more of your Magnus opus, since if it were only half as Pompeous as the others that would already make it really good, but on the other, I know that Sexting is against this forums terms & conditions... :/

Goodbye Dercius. It was nice while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Super excited for this one! The Classical era has always been the one that interested me most, and I have never had the pleasure of playing Rome II, so I love a good AAR on that game, especially one with classy images, and you always deliver on that front! I am not sure how I feel about you playing as Pompey though. On the one hand Augustus is a baller and not a figure I'd generally have ill feelings toward. On the other, I have an immense amount of respect and admiration for the true Res Publica. I guess the campaign will show where my loyalties truly lie.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Citizen

I just noticed I messed up - like Pompey at Pharsalus - our contest by posting it last sunday instead of this one. I rushed it when I should've waited - like Pompey at Pharsalus. And thereby I blew it, like Cleop... Pompey at Pharsalus, which means I lost. I look forward to some juicy Pharsalluspics. You can start by choosing an avatar for me.
    Let's face it: You aren't allowed to change your avatar ever again anyway. Know the difference between Jim Carrey and Pompey? Jim's head gets to stay where it is!

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I enjoyed your introduction to Pompey, the idea of playing as the last defender of the Republic against the would-be emperors sounds attractive. It looks like Pompey's starting position is challenging, particularly when your first house role is taken into account.

Campidoctor

Rome II
    Imperator Augustus

--------------------------
    (Click to view)

I am Sextus Pompeius Magnus. My father fought Caesar. He had to flee and died in Egypt. Caesar is dead too, as are his murderers.
    The story does not end there. It has only just begun.

I succeeded the ruins of my father while Octavian, Marc Antony and Lepidus succeeded Caesar, founding the second Triumvirate. I want the Republic, they want the Empire - each one with themselve as Emperor. This is where we clash and where they will eventually clash against each other. Soon.

I sit in the wolf's lair, in between all the three Triumvirs. My islands are secure as I have sea supremacy.
    I used it to starve Italy out. Now I have other plans. I need to expand if I want to survive.

Octavian and Marc Antony show their greed and demand that Lepidus cedes Iberia to both of them. He refuses.
    So it begins already. Good!

Major military reforms are needed for the upcoming war. I do not want to see untrained Romans on the field of battle.

I need the help of the gods if I want to survive this. I will, for they are with me. The chickens are their messengers to confirm it.
    Ave chickens, patrons of Neptune! Onwards to the seas!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Numidians helped to defeat Carthage a long time ago. Now their time is up. They have grown to be a thorn in Rome's side. I will start my expansion there, seizing their riches, gaining the respect of the Roman people by doing so. My other men are tasked to defend Sicily and to raid Lepidus' shores.

The Ludi Plebeii is not only celebrated because every free Roman deserves the time to relax himself, but also to make everyone aware why the Republic is so important.
    Never again shall a king rule over Rome!

I have rebuild enough to pose a threat. I will make sure to be one.

My new recruits will not have to wait long to be tested.

Now it is official: the Triumvirate collapsed entirely. Octavian declared war on Egypt, knowing that it will drag Marc Antony into the war ... on the side of Egypt.

The civil war has four factions in total now. Everyone is at war with everyone. Rome bleeds, as does my heart.

I will deal with them soon enough. Patience is key.
    They shall rip each other apart as much as they want while I deal with the Numidians, bringing glory and riches into my fold.

My strategy succeeds. My family's ascent from the ash has begun!

Numidia is not as well developed as thought, despite being fertile lands. What would I have expected from non-Romans? *sigh*
    I will give order to build some farms there.

But first we have to deal with the Mauri. I will see to it personally.

Greece becomes a major battlefield between the three Triumvirs.
    It makes me smile.

Now to these local savages in the desert.
    Numidians and Mauri can gang up all they want, they stand no change against Roman supremacy. And so they ran.

The Mauri are defeated and the Numidians driven from their homeland. I will chase them all down for the glory of Rome.

The gods test me while doing so. There is a young boy, born in dirt but shining like a child of Mars.
    I decide to pick the boy up. I will make a fine soldier and true Roman out of him.

Northern Africa is secured. I can now take care of ... domestic affairs.

⚙️ Authors Note - Technical | 📕 History & Culture | 📘 Alternate History
    CA makes it too easy for themselve. Here the war of the Second Triumvirate is almost guaranteed to result in an all-out war, everyone vs. everyone.

In reality each one of the four factions was dealt with one after another. First one to go was unfortunately Pompey who got defeated by the Triumvirate in Sicily, having put up a good fight but crumbling under the combined forces of the enemy and some good classic betrayal.

Octavian then simply disposed of Lepidus, seizing his regions without a fight and leaving him without power.
    After that came the clash between Octavian and Marc Antony. The fight between these two was perhaps the most noteworthy, resulting in Antony's death and the annexation of Egypt.

In this alternate universe Pompey managed to survive in Sicily and Lepidus refused to cede his belongings to Octavian. Let's see where history leads from here.

📝 Authors Note There are way too many images this time. That's why some pictures got photoshopped together, such as the event about the chickens.

I have some mixed emotions with this AAR. On one hand I'm really excited and want to see more of your Magnus opus, since if it were only half as Pompeous as the others that would already make it really good [...]
    Ah yeah, my Magnum Opus ...
    It is still empty.
    I have to get it right this time.

[...] but on the other, I know that Sexting is against this forums terms & conditions... :/

Goodbye Dercius. It was nice while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Super excited for this one! The Classical era has always been the one that interested me most, and I have never had the pleasure of playing Rome II, so I love a good AAR on that game, especially one with classy images, and you always deliver on that front! I am not sure how I feel about you playing as Pompey though. On the one hand Augustus is a baller and not a figure I'd generally have ill feelings toward. On the other, I have an immense amount of respect and admiration for the true Res Publica. I guess the campaign will show where my loyalties truly lie.
    So you're a friend of a dictators. Kim Jong Un and Admiral Aladeen approve.

I just noticed I messed up - like Pompey at Pharsalus - our contest by posting it last sunday instead of this one. I rushed it when I should've waited - like Pompey at Pharsalus. And thereby I blew it, like Cleop... Pompey at Pharsalus, which means I lost. I look forward to some juicy Pharsalluspics. You can start by choosing an avatar for me.
    Let's face it: You aren't allowed to change your avatar ever again anyway. Know the difference between Jim Carrey and Pompey? Jim's head gets to stay where it is!
    You are free of any charge. Home is where the head is.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I enjoyed your introduction to Pompey, the idea of playing as the last defender of the Republic against the would-be emperors sounds attractive. It looks like Pompey's starting position is challenging, particularly when your first house role is taken into account.
    Hm? Pompey is surrounded by Roman factions, so that shouldn't be a problem. I just can't conquer other nation until Lepidus, Octavian, Antony and any additional splinter factions that might rise up are out of the way. At least that was the plan.

As you've seen I failed it right away, attacking one of the only non-Roman faction there was . As said in the dev diary, I set rules at the beginning and once I start they are set in stone. I immidiately realized this one was a dumb one, only trolling instead of limiting myself. Sometimes I just screw up.
    Last edited by Derc; May 29, 2019 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Some little fixies

Citizen

I'm curious... If the omens hadn't been favourable, would Sextus have chickened out?

How many times did you have to reload to get the result you wanted? Come on, we know you do that all the time!

Dude, you are going to make me have to get Rome II, just like you made me get Shogun II. You should see if you can't get CA to hook you up with some kickbacks, because your AARs here are an exceedingly good showcase for these games!

Regarding your first house rule, that was indeed a poor one. The moment I read it I was like "Well, Derc is gonna break it or die immediately." I see you opted for the former. Probably a wise decision, though not terribly noble of you.
    Good show, ol' bean! Taking the "noble" course is just a fancy way of dressing up doing something stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Derc
    So you're a friend of a dictators. Kim Jong Un and Admiral Aladeen approve.
    Not at all. One of the things I like so much about Antiquity is the variety of political institutions, and their relative modernity across the board. There are proper republics, there are confederacies of tribal groups, there are free petty kingdoms which have High Kings to lead them in war, and so many more. In comparison to that richness of choice I find most other ears to be somewhat bland, what with their emphasis on nothing more than kings (or kings by other names).
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Interesting to see the Triumvirs are all fighting each other and not you, the thorn in the side of the Imperialists (Damn faithless Imperials). It's like they don't even care about you. I bet you will soon teach them the error in their ways. For the Republic or perhaps even an Emperor Pompey!

Hm? Pompey is surrounded by Roman factions, so that shouldn't be a problem. I just can't conquer other nation until Lepidus, Octavian, Antony and any additional splinter factions that might rise up are out of the way. At least that was the plan.
    Of course, you're right, Pompey is surrounded by Roman factions. My concern wasn't that Pompey would lack factions to attack because of the 'attack Romans first' rule. My concern was that the other Roman factions are bigger than Pompey's one. Ah well, I don't think breaking this house rule did any harm and sometimes we all screw up.

Campidoctor

Rome II
    Imperator Augustus

(Click to view)

I hold the most power in my own domain. But I have to be careful. While I love the Republic, I also know about its flaws.
    I need to be cunning and keep everyone under control. Otherwise they'll ruin my plans and topple me over. We don't need two civil wars at once.

The Triumvirs wanted war with me. They shall have it. I start with Lepidus. He holds strategically important regions and is the weakest of the three.

Scorpus, a famous gladiator has died. We give him our proper respect. There's got to be time for that.

I stay before the gates of Carthage. Carthage, that pearl of the sea.

Lepidus is a coward. He left it without significant defences and fled to Iberia.
    The son of Neptune conquered a city with one of the biggest harbours in the world without much further ado.

I can call a nice little domain my own. But what does this count for? I want to see Rome unificated!

I will follow Lepidus to Iberia, finishing him before Octavian can.
    This will be just one out of many humiliations to come which I will inflict on "Imperator Augustus".

Before I do that, I will have to take Lepidus' remaining posessions in Africa. The conquest led to a great gain of power without any significant resistance at all.
    Is Lepidus playing a game or just too busy with Octavian?

The only problem is that the local population does not know how to live like Romans. We will show them.

Yeah, it looks like there is some hot infighting up north.
    Lepidus wins some ground against Octavian. I feel sad that I have to kill him. He is less arrogant than the other two Triumvirs.

I was forced out of necessity to rule my domain like an Emperor. I do not want that and I also do not need that anymore. I convinced some of the Senatores in Rome to seek exile in my lands, crippling Octavian's legitimacy. Octavian's puppets, of course, vetoed this.

No matter. Rome now has two Senates. The true one and the false one. But there remains only one Roman Republic. Every province I reconquer is part of that liberated Roman Republic. Everything else just wasteland under the guidance of some blinded fools.

⚙️ Authors Note - Technical No idea why Pompey starts with the "Empire" government type instead as a Republic. Perhaps it was an oversight by the devs or, as I generously interpreted it, was a temporal solution out of necessary.

No matter. This error is fixed now. Hail Pompey, beneloved Dictator!

Being dictator is so much cooler and more modern than being emperor.

I am driven by revenge but I will not let it get the best of me. My major motivation was always the liberation of the Republic. Some curse my name, some celebrate it.
    My ancestors would look proudly at me, seeing the success I have achieved so far. What else could I ask for?

The first step in Iberia is done. Caesar might have crossed the Rubicon. I have crossed something much bigger: The Strait of Gibraltar, or the Pillars of Heracles, as known by the Greeks.

I once fled to Hispania when the situation looked very grim, before getting in posession of Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica.
    I have no ill feelings towards the locals there, although they do not understand anything much at all. Perhaps that can be used to my advantage. I ally with them.

The Cantabri are now the outcast themselves, being pushed around between Lepidus and Octavian.
    Good. I will use their barbarian anger against my enemy.

It pays off. They locate Lepidus. I will face him personally!

There he is! Hiding in the woods behind his shields like a coward that he is!

I and my men made quick process with him and his troops. No one survived.

It is a sad day but yet a day for celebrations! Lepidus is out of the way!

Octavian's Gallic pets fall over the rest of Lepidus' broken territory like the vultures they are.

One Triumvir gone, two more to go.

📝 Authors Note
    I love that flavour text for the missions. Rome II has a lot of interesting or funny descriptions in general.

I'm curious... If the omens hadn't been favourable, would Sextus have chickened out?

How many times did you have to reload to get the result you wanted? Come on, we know you do that all the time!
    Chicken and the sea are an important matter. Even cultures at the other end of the globe see it that way.

My favourite disney character.
    If they would've spoken ill ... well, you know how the Romans worked.
    They would just've been slaughtered honorably sacrificed then.

Too often, but not often enough, because I neither play the Milanese nor the French here.

Dude, you are going to make me have to get Rome II, just like you made me get Shogun II. You should see if you can't get CA to hook you up with some kickbacks, because your AARs here are an exceedingly good showcase for these games!
    That was exactly one of the main goals of this AAR, acting as showcase. Thanks a lot.

But hey, you still have a job in Japan to do! Your wife must hate me by now.

Let me spoil you a little review of Rome II before you do anything rash.
    Spoiler for Rome II Review
    It clearly has the pamplet "The big one" written all over it. It got the most updates, the most DLC of any TW game.
    The battles really do have a grand scale, some action and nice graphics. Buuut there a of course problems: The campaigns are really easy as this is the title with the most powerful autoresolves ever. Honestly, you can view a scroll where it tells you the result of the battle BEFORE you even autoresolve it. That makes everything predictable and manual battles completely obsolete. That's exactly the reason why you'll see so few battle screenshots in this campaign. I just did them for some eyecandy. Sadly no other motivation such as ... turning unlikely tides to your favour? No, not necessary here.

Battles themselve, on the other hand, are really hard on higher difficulties. Not because the A.I. is so good but because it gets a lot of unfair bonuses, you can clearly feel that.

All in all it can be a little bit challenging at the very beginning, but once you have conquered around ~1/4 of the map you can litteraly start to spam armies and buildings everywhere. In Shogun II you were would be happy if able to build one building at all. Here? Just do it, lol.
    Oh, naval invasions have become a rare thing too.
    Once you figured out internal policies, these are no challenge anymore either.

I like Rome II a lot and for lazy autoresolvers like me it is literally a paradise, but this game just asks to be exploited.

It can absolutely not be compared to Shogun II in terms of difficulty. It is like two different worlds.

If you do not care about it and are more a man who seeks his challenge in battles, then it can be nice for you. Especially since you could theoretically use it for WiS.

Regarding your first house rule, that was indeed a poor one. The moment I read it I was like "Well, Derc is gonna break it or die immediately." I see you opted for the former. Probably a wise decision, though not terribly noble of you.
    Good show, ol' bean! Taking the "noble" course is just a fancy way of dressing up doing something stupid.
    Sometimes you need to lay a false bait to hide your own idio... evilness.

Not at all. One of the things I like so much about Antiquity is the variety of political institutions, and their relative modernity across the board. There are proper republics, there are confederacies of tribal groups, there are free petty kingdoms which have High Kings to lead them in war, and so many more. In comparison to that richness of choice I find most other ears to be somewhat bland, what with their emphasis on nothing more than kings (or kings by other names).
    Yeah, I can see what you mean. The people back then had a lot of different ideas how things should be governed. It may look different but even the Middle Ages and the Renaissance were a time of great experiments. Thinking about Venice, Novgorod, Netherlands...
    Nevertheless, I have my quarrels with people who put themselves above everything or even see themselves as a god. It gave us some funny personalities like Caligula and the like. Interesting and expectional personalities, no doubt. However, absolute power should never belong to one person alone. The Republic isn't perfect either and I'm afraid we'll see that in the coming parts.
    Very interesting topic, really. Next part will have a little documentation about Octavian.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Interesting to see the Triumvirs are all fighting each other and not you, the thorn in the side of the Imperialists (Damn faithless Imperials). It's like they don't even care about you. I bet you will soon teach them the error in their ways. For the Republic or perhaps even an Emperor Pompey!

The Imperials think we need their laws. Pfft.

[...] or perhaps even an Emperor Pompey
    Pompey would never do such a thing! This chapter proofs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Of course, you're right, Pompey is surrounded by Roman factions. My concern wasn't that Pompey would lack factions to attack because of the 'attack Romans first' rule. My concern was that the other Roman factions are bigger than Pompey's one. Ah well, I don't think breaking this house rule did any harm and sometimes we all screw up.
    Yeah, I was intimidated by that at the beginning. I thought I would get mangled up between the three pretty good.
    Turns out the naval A.I. isn't that good as in Shogun II. I also did not let them get any ships near my coast, sinking everything I could find. Watch the seas, maintain your fleet, defend Sicily with it and you're good to go to be the biggest troll the ancient world has ever seen.

Content Emeritus

Poor Lepidus, he really didn't stand a chance now did he, both in history and in this campaign. You seem to be progressing pretty quickly in this one and I wonder if you manually fight many of your battles or if you auto-resolve most of them? My personal experience with Rome II is that I used the auto-resolve way too much just for convenience sake.

Indeed, being Emperor is so last year. #dictatorsarecooler

The Imperials think we need their laws. Pfft.
    Meanwhile in Red Mountain
    Dagoth Ur welcomes you Nerevar Sextus Pompey, together we will drive the mongrel dogs of the Empire from Morrowind Rome!

As always, an awesome update, and I have little else to add.

Regarding your review of Rome II, I like the sound of the game. I don't autoresolve much ever anyway, as I like doing the battles, and I honestly am not much for the super hard campaigns. At least, I don't like when a campaign is hard because it's made to be hard. I prefer when the base game is just well built, and when campaigns are hard if you pick a faction that is not good. (EBII is super strong in that respect, that it is really well constructed, and difficulty is set by who you play as. Rome is easy, Germania is really tough. That to me is as it should be.) So I think that might be another game for me!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Citizen

Carthage, that pearl of the sea.
    Isn't that Atlantis?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerc
    Too often, but not often enough, because I neither play the Milanese nor the French here.
    Oh you ...!!! I was being friendly, you're just being mean! :'(

Campidoctor

Rome II
    Imperator Augustus

(Click to view)

Octavian was never able to land in Sicily but I was always able to land in Italy.
    It is time to do so. I order the invasion.

In the same time I will invade from Gaul, taking Octavian from two sides.

My might grows evermore. To quote Octavian's oh so beloved mentor: "Veni, *cough* Vidi, Vici".

I am sure my ancestors smile on me. We celebrate Lemuria to appease them, just to be sure.

Marc Antony has broken ties with the Thracians. He does not seem to have his own affairs under control. Or is he planning something?

Rome is within my grasp. Let's take it!

May Neptune give me strength for my oncoming attack on Rome itself.

📝 Authors Note
    Absolutely love the descriptions in Rome II. They have become a lot more detailed from Napoleon onward.

I command the attack personally. What a joke Octavian's troops are!

It was a rainy day, showing that Neptune was indeed with us.
    My entire force attacked from the north. The enemy had not enough soldiers to stand a chance. After the walls had been taken, the battle was essentially over.

The battle proved to be no problem. I am worried that Rome has been conquered so easily, but happy to finally be home again.
    Things will change for the better now that I am here.

With Roma in my hands, the Senate is able to return from its exile in Syracuse.

Celebrating through the streets of Roma was a day I waited for so long.
    It was glorious! The wine flowed in streams for days! Rome had found back to itself.

Octavian was then said to be found in Greece. I will rush there at once. The civil war is far from over!

We chase down his troops but Octavian himself was nowhere to be found.

Egypt offered the Roman Republic an trade agreement and some gold. We declined.
    De Jure Rome is still at war with Egypt. I will keep it that way.

Thessalonica was taken in Winter but Octavian was not there either. His troops, however, were.
    They tried to retake the city but failed. Thessalonica remained in my hand.

The reconquest of Greece at least brought another important region back into the Res Publica, thus strengthening its power a lot.

The Roman Republic starts trade with the Dacians. They too are at war with Octavian and happy that we arrived.

Greece seemed to be a ruse. While our Legions were stationed elsewhere, Northern Italy stood undefended.
    Our northern border is too long! We can't be everywhere. Octavian knew and abused this. He won this battle but we will make sure he will lose the war.
    Rome will not again be invaded by a would-be emperor!

Poor Lepidus, he really didn't stand a chance now did he, both in history and in this campaign. You seem to be progressing pretty quickly in this one and I wonder if you manually fight many of your battles or if you auto-resolve most of them? My personal experience with Rome II is that I used the auto-resolve way too much just for convenience sake.

Indeed, being Emperor is so last year. #dictatorsarecooler
    Meanwhile in Red Mountain
    Dagoth Ur welcomes you Nerevar Sextus Pompey, together we will drive the mongrel dogs of the Empire from Morrowind Rome!

Morrowind was an awesome game.
    Exploring all of Vivec-city was a pain, though.

Regarding manual battles, they happen extremely rarely in Rome 2. To quote from #2 up above:
    The battles really do have a grand scale, some action and nice graphics. Buuut there a of course problems: The campaigns are really easy as this is the title with the most powerful autoresolves ever. Honestly, you can view a scroll where it tells you the result of the battle BEFORE you even autoresolve it. That makes everything predictable and manual battles completely obsolete. That's exactly the reason why you'll see so few battle screenshots in this campaign. I just did them for some eyecandy. Sadly no other motivation such as ... turning unlikely tides to your favour? No, not necessary here.

As always, an awesome update, and I have little else to add.

Regarding your review of Rome II, I like the sound of the game. I don't autoresolve much ever anyway, as I like doing the battles, and I honestly am not much for the super hard campaigns. At least, I don't like when a campaign is hard because it's made to be hard. I prefer when the base game is just well built, and when campaigns are hard if you pick a faction that is not good. (EBII is super strong in that respect, that it is really well constructed, and difficulty is set by who you play as. Rome is easy, Germania is really tough. That to me is as it should be.) So I think that might be another game for me!
    Well ... I'm flattered.
    The difference in difficulty to EB is that even Germania is easy here. There are some factions in a real bad starting situation out there. Once you manage to handle that, you're good to go.
    Let's see if I can sell you the other titles too.

Isn't that Atlantis?

Oh you ...!!! I was being friendly, you're just being mean! :'(
    A submerged ruin somewhere in the sea isn't worth anything, is it?

Serves you right.
    Last edited by Derc; June 07, 2019 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Answering Turk's question

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Dercus
    To quote Octavian's oh so beloved mentor: "Veni, Vedi, Vici".

I am sure my ancestors smile on me.
    I am sure your latin teacher does not.
    VIDI!!!!

With Roma in my hands, the Senate is able to return from its exile in Syracuse.
    This is where the game becomes too unrealistic for me to buy it.
    There's so much wrong with this sentece that in reality, a disruption of the earths gravitational field caused by the bodies of Dionysios and your latin teacher spinning in their graves would've ended the game, and the planet, there and then.
    quality of the image is on par with my disappointment

0/10 unsubscribe.

Glorious victories for the son of Neptune, indeed! I like the way that you're making this about restoring the Republic and defeating those who would be emperor.

The screenshots of your attack on Rome are particularly good, it sounds like Pompey's men enjoyed a few well-earned comforts as they relaxed on their fields of victory. I'm intrigued by your hunt for Octavian. Battles on land and sea, city walls and triremes Pompey can master, but there's a Triumvir to manage here.

Content Emeritus

The grand siege of Rome, as difficult as a walk in the park. Not the showdown people were expecting but then again most of the times things don't live up to their hype (look at GoT for instance ) I always found this disappointing about the AI of most TW games. They are hellbent on making the battles we want to be epic to be dull. Octavian is just a coward and doesn't want to confront the superior force that is Sextus Pompey who has just basked in the power of the Heart. A lovely gift from Lord Dagoth.

Morrowind was an awesome game.
    Exploring all of Vivec-city was a pain, though.
    Yeah, I don't know how many hours I have played that game but probably way too many. Vivec is so huge you could lose entire days exploring it.

Regarding manual battles, they happen extremely rarely in Rome 2. To quote from #2 up above:
    That's is indeed the same experience I have had with Rome II, it's the perfect game if you mostly care for the empire-building part of the game and less about the battles. Pity because the graphics of Rome II are one of the best in TW history, in my opinion. Compare that to Medieval 2 and I almost always fight my battles manually because it is just so much better to do it that way. (especially with mods, don't really know for vanilla anymore it's been so long I played vanilla med 2)

I must say, you did a lot in two years. Especially given that from the UI it looks like this is a 4 turn per year game, so you didn't have some much game time to do stuff in.

One thing that interests me is exactly how much play you have with the political situation. Are you actually setting the senate up as a real governing force in-game, or is this more just story-boarding the events on here? I am wondering how deeply Rome II lets you play around with the background stuff like political structures and whatnot.

Oh, and as usual, the obligatory "This was a great update!". I absolutely love the look of units and structures from Antiquity, and every screenshot from this game is eyecandy for me. If I may make a request, I would love it if you could post some images of a battle with one of the "barbarian" factions, provided you actually had such a battle and took screenshots. I'd just like to see some deep dark forests with hastati marching on pelt-covered axeman!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources