Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728

Thread: Derc Plays Through World History

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Medieval II Kingdoms - Teutonic)

Quote Originally Posted by Dercsen
    *snip*
    If the plague won't get them, Norway will.

*snip*
    Now we got the confirmation: Sweden is the door to hell.
    Tune in next time, when we find out the Norwegians were the plague all along.

I expect to see the flyers the Teutons gave you when they told you about the lord and saviour.
    Last edited by Cookiegod; April 05, 2021 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Medieval II Kingdoms - Teutonic)

Genuine question: Why in the world do you have an Explorer's Guild Headquarters? Does the Explorer's Guild provide any benefits at all? I have never once noticed a benefit to having it around, and I only ever go for spy or assassin's guilds, for the public order bonuses. But then again, I recruit units and stuff when I play, so what do I know?
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Genuine question: Why in the world do you have an Explorer's Guild Headquarters? Does the Explorer's Guild provide any benefits at all? I have never once noticed a benefit to having it around, and I only ever go for spy or assassin's guilds, for the public order bonuses. But then again, I recruit units and stuff when I play, so what do I know?
    The explorer's guild COULD have become the most overpowered one, if they had bothered fixing the bugs.

So what it basically does (if I remember it correctly) is that it gives your units, once you retrain them, range bonus. Which especially in multiplayer could be insanely powerful.

But the thing is, the moment your army also includes a unit that doesn't have that upgrade all units in that army will lose that upgrade immediately.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Campidoctor

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Medieval II Kingdoms - Teutonic [End])

Medieval 2: Total War
    Teutonic Campaign

--------------------------
    (Click to view)
    --------------------------

I abused to the AI so hard, I bribed so much artillery from them, and in the midst of all that I lost the sense that the AI is actually capable to do something - especially with said artillery. Now the knights were back in their old walls, and I had to adapt. Quickly.

Somehow I could save the situation, but my forces got decimated utterly. Taking Riga will have to wait.

Instead of quickly going in from the west, I hole up there and wait until my king and his other forces, including stone age gunners, arrive.

I find it weird that polyphony got denounced back then. Actually learned something from this event.
    They denounced everything back then, didn't they?

Retraining mercs gives me no new forces, but it can improve their weapon and armor. We take what we can get.

Hunting enemies in the dark fog of the Baltic forests. Such a lovely Sunday morning classic. Thank god there is a radar.

Gotcha

Money is of no use for me any longer, so I start developing useless buildings. Well, not entirely useless, but they won't matter anymore. Always the builder, I still had to do it.

Yes, why would anyone refuse her hand? Because her insane brother is even more wicked than her, and declines everyone.

⚙️ Authors Note - Technical
    So I got my answers. There was truly not a single adoption offer as long as I kept the princesses around. They also did not develop any traits by just idling around, except the 'bruised confidence' one. All of this shows that princesses are better used quickly, not kept around like other agents.

The Teutonic Order is gone. Incredible. It was truly a faction I feared to face. In the end, my plan worked out ok. Not perfect, not bad. Some setbacks made it refreshing.

📝 Authors Note
    You see my entire marching army in this picture. I have no more forces, except for some garrison units to uphold order.

We are really about to do it. We will conquer the whole map with pacifist Norway. Only the yellow bear stands between us and ultimate victory.

One more threat gone, good.
    Poor girl. She might have expected something different from her life. But so did we all, didn't we?

⚙️ Authors Note - Technical
    And with that, adoptions come back again.

In single player, this knowledge doesn't matter much. But in Hotseats you need to grasp every little straw. As said before, princesses combined with seduction and a good mercenary pool can be a secret weapon, allowing you to show up with a halfstack all of the sudden without your victim having expected it. But since they block adoptions most of the time, they are expensive to keep around.

Just bribed ~40% of Novgorod's forces.

Sneaking my way up to Novgorod. Unfortunately got blocked.

Lucky enough, Novgorod got nervous about our army in the west, allowing us free passage in the east.

"Hello, dear friend. We have an offer you cannot refuse!"

Zubstov and Novgorod were taken instantly, killing all their family members. Norway is the last faction remaining!

A little village still stands.

Of course my spy was so lucky to get killed in the very end. To make matters worse, I forgot to build siege equipment.

Don't pull an Asterix on me, Tosno!

Incredible. Just incredible. Norway, the friendly, pacifist nation did it! With the might of the feather, mercenaries and glorious extortion it conquered the entire Baltic without an army. I would not have deemed it possible. But in the end it was a very interesting campaign, putting you into unique situations.

After all the carnage, the Baltic has found peace. Winter is over. Spring has come. As the frost melts away, it releases the wonders of nature, and also the flesh of the ones who had fallen. While they return to dust, others would see a new cycle. Let's hope it will be a good one.

Weekly dose of apetor

It is never too late nor too early to say 'God jul'! Especially not shortly after Easter.

📘 Alternate History
    While I can imagine how a single faction could have united the entire map of the Britannia, Crusades or Americas campaign, I have trouble how that could've worked out here. I think it was just not possible, but let's try anyway. Norway would most likely have called out some kind of union. It would then most likely have made 'boom', just like Kalmar did. If not, they would've picked up the role of Sweden, being the big bully in the North and all that. An united Scandinavia with some possessions in the Baltic is an interesting idea, but, as Athelstan, Cookie and all other Scandinavians around here might confirm, also pure blasphemy.

🎭 Funfact Norway conquering the Baltic was the thing I did in my first Total War mod I ever played. God. How green I was back then.

🏠 House Rules & Special Goals
    Unwritten Rules:
    • Conquer the whole map - Check
    • No exploits, hacks, etc. - Failed - obviously

Written ones:
    • The No Recruit Challenge: I can't recruit any own troops except agents (actually ensured by game) - Check

Secret ones:
    • Skål: Have an actual Norwegian comment in your Norway AAR - Check

⭐ Conclusion: Medieval II Kingdoms - Teutonic
    • + Great atmosphere, cool setting
    • + Many unique mechanics
    • + Amazing music
    • + The usual Medieval II pros

• - Overpowered Teutonic Order, underpowered Lithuania
    • - Awful AI with a strange love for artillery
    • - No naval activity in the Baltic Sea
    • - The usual Medieval II cons

Personally my second favourite Kingdoms campaign after Britannia. I think it's a nice Addon, and it gave me the possibility to try something really unique. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwynsson View Post
    Despite the Great Plague, the Great Drowning and the great alliance of Denmark and the Teutonic Order, it's good to see Norway bravely defying - and occasionally buying - their enemies.
    Always defy and defile!

Quote Originally Posted by Alwynsson View Post
    Poor Snorri, and Gustav - and anyone standing too close to that wall. Good luck against the Teutons!
    No mercy for the wicked. [*]

Quote Originally Posted by Ritter Turkafinwe View Post
    Christ ist erstanden
    von der Marter alle!
    Des solln wir alle froh sein,
    Christ soll unser Trost sein.
    Kyrioleis.
    Pff. Wipo of Burgundy < Walther von der Vogelweide.
    Wanna have true heresy? Mix any of their songs with Skrillex.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Good luck Derc
    Wishing good luck can be dangerous. We saw how that turned out with Belisarius when someone did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie- and Heresygod View Post
    Tune in next time, when we find out the Norwegians were the plague all along.
    Britains might confirm. But it was a necessary evil to bring pacifism to everyone, stopping the possibility to recruit armies and forced conversation once and for all. Thanks to Norway's many secrets, namely complete immunity to the cold, snobbish princesses, apetor, capitalism, and massive exploits (wait, already been mentioned with capitalism), Norway did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie- and Heresygod View Post
    I expect to see the flyers the Teutons gave you when they told you about the lord and saviour.
    Flyers are outdated and quite ineffective.
    Boring, don't you agree?
    Isn't this, ...
    ...the classic approach, a much more convincing method to recover lost souls? Yeah. The Teutons were exactly like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilosson11 View Post
    Afaik your ships and generals can get ancillaries and traits that improve their movement range. I can remember having been called a cheater quite a few times in Hotseats because of that, because yeah, outranging enemy movement is of utmost importance in HS. But the effect was minimal, and getting said ancillaries a gamble. In single player they are not worth it, but in HS I always favoured Explorer's Guilds.
    And yeah, as Cookiegod said, something about this mechanic somehow always felt broken.

So... regarding the next campaign. There will be none. At least not anytime soon. I will write a conclusion soon, and then there will be, as I call it, a bigger pause. Thank you all for having been with me. It had been one hell of a ride.

Citizen

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Medieval II Kingdoms - Teutonic [End])

> Turns the entire map catholic
    > Pope quakes in fear.
    smh

By the way, don't be so hard on yourself because of that large village. Not many 13th century strategists managed to take a town that didn't exist until the late 15th.

Ah damn, you deserve that pause. It's still sad if you quit entirely. So many Warhammer DLC's you still ought to cover!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

A hell of a ride, indeed! I hope you'll enjoy the bigger pause and that you'll be back in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dercarssen
    Hunting enemies in the dark fog of the Baltic forests. Such a lovely Sunday morning classic. Thank god there is a radar.
    Oh, I so know your pain there. I was playing Shogun II (FotS) last night, and had a naval battle where I could literally only see about 100 yards. I was still moving my boats around when one started firing (thank the gods for auto-aim/auto-fire) and I was like, "Oh, is the enemy here already?". A couple of times I've played without radar, and it was so painful. I think I'd be more inclined to do that if I was certain the AI also couldn't see my movements "on the map", but I don't trust that to be the case.

Alternate History: You definitely could not bind all of that stuff together in any concrete fashion. If for no other reason, the culture groups are too divergent, and wouldn't lock well. But that being said, I think if you had left the Mongols on the right and bottom-right part of the map, much of the rest could be linked in at least defensive pacts like those of the pre-WWI era. In such a case, I could well imagine Norway leading a (begrudgingly) united Scandinavia, with all of the southern regions being quasi-vassals to you who need your protection from the mounted threat in the east. Still would present difficulties, but I can see that being halfway plausible.

All in all, a great campaign though. You deserve a good break, but don't make it too long! We love your ridiculousness too much
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

In the end, my plan worked out ok. Not perfect, not bad. Some setbacks made it refreshing.

Hahaha, quite a fitting end, well timed to get both a mission and a spy killed. Nothing like a bit of late late drama.

An united Scandinavia with some possessions in the Baltic is an interesting idea, but, as Athelstan, Cookie and all other Scandinavians around here might confirm, also pure blasphemy.
    Not if Norway is running the show it isn't

Skål: Have an actual Norwegian comment in your Norway AAR - Check
    Hahahahah that's brilliant, and you're welcome

Well earned pause dude, you've made som great stuff!
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Another campaign well done. I think you are the most productive writer of the modern WS. Take your well-earned rest Dercson. You have laboured hard and now is the time to feast and drink. Jubel!

Campidoctor

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History

Conclusion

So let's have a conclusion to this almost three year old story. Gosh. October 2018. Nothing compared to 1321 CE, 1778 CE, or even 399 BCE, no? And yet this little timespan saw so much change. Both in our personal life and for humanity itself. Then again, maybe not.

There have been many reasons why I wanted to journey through history. Having started back then in the early 2000's, I barely knew anything about history at all. I knew hardly anything about Rome, let alone all that other stuff. I find this disturbing. Shouldn't I have learned about it all in school? I didn't. I learned much more about stuff in my free time than I ever did in school.

So yeah, as my own words fail me, let's stick with the video gaming theme, and allow me to start the summarization of my journey through our species with the following video:

Spoiler for Video

Humanity has certainly done a lot of great things. I cherish that I have come to this world as a human; being allowed to observe and witness it all with a self-aware mind. And yet despite all these advancements over the millenia, all this dedication, all these sacrifices... despite everything, humanity has once again shown that oftentimes it isn't really so self-aware, and most of its grand achievements are simply results of our primal aspirations.

'Derc Plays Through World History' - this title is full of arrogance. Not even because of the 'Derc' part, it's insignificant, but because of the 'World History' part. Who are we humans that we claim world history for ourselves? The world is much bigger and older than anything we can comprehend. And yet we make it our own. Simply because we can.

We have emerged from prehistoric times. We lived in caves. To survive, we built mud huts, then simple stone shacks, then castles, then palasts, then skyscrapers. We have become more powerful by the ages, no matter the cost.
    In our endless quest for survival we mastered it. We formed the planet to our will. Mostly. When a little danger appears, something that humanity cannot control, all falls back into mindless savagery. Have the former year as your example.
    "Throw a person into a situation of chaos, and you will know who they are" - That's what a wise person once told me. It's true. In fact, it is so true that it applies not only to a person, but to entire societies.

Well, humanity is full of chaos, and our little journey has proven that. Every single campaign frustrated me a bit more, having seen just what kind of humanity has been pulling off over and over again. However, it's one thing to read about it and a whole other to actually see it happen in your lifetime; to feel it on your own body even.

Foolish as I am, I had the faint hope that we truly evolved from prehistoric times. That we have become civilized. At least partially. That, when chaos would strike once more, we would manage to come together and find solutions for everyone; to be the problem solvers that we are. Instead the same as always happened. We divided. There is only black and white, right and wrong, and everyone who does not pick the 'correct' side is marked a persona non grata. People who stay neutral or are so bold to have a more complex opinion either get the finger from both sides or simply get ignored, blown away like dust in the wind. Always has been that way. Always will be. I finally understood this. Took me long enough.

Funny. Back then, somewhere around the end of the 2000's, I said to friends and family alike: "Since 9/11, one can feel tensions rising. Believe me, this [mainly referring to the Iraq war, but also to global instability in general] was only the beginning of something new. Stuff gets more and more mad. The 2010's will paint themselves as a Emo-Hippie concert, but it will be a time of turmoil, and the time beyond that even more so. Who knows, one day we might even be forbidden from breathing free air, or get an air tax. And you'll all happily play along."
    Well, of course everyone laughed at me. But since then we got the Arab Spring, ISIS, Hipsters, the Mask Mandate, CO2-Taxation, and many other things. And of course everyone played along and can't remember anything anymore. I should be the one laughing now, but I can't.

Codeword 'laughing': I think laughing is the best medicine, and I also think the world is already uptight enough. Dark humor allows to criticize humanity with its own absurdity while bringing joy at the same time, so of course there's a lot of it in here.
    I'm glad it worked out. And I'm glad I met you people. You guys have participated with witty comments, a really great review, lots of clicks, and in many other ways. You are a part of this project, and I am really happy you've been here, or still are. TWC might have its issues, but overall it's a nice place. So thanks for that.

A thing I am really proud of is the fact that oftentimes I managed to be there at the right time, in the right place. We had the Britannia Campaign during the time of Brexit. I told the story of Belisarius, a story of ruin and resurrection, directly around the time when personal tragedy struck. We had Napoleon in summer 2020, a time of public instability in the West. We saw the reign of Dionysios when tyranny changed its face (US elections, for those who don't know what I mean ). Now we are here, in 2021, a time of exhaustion and also one of great change. What better time to write a conclusion than now?

History wields a lot of answers, but it is too easy to get lost in it. I think we need to utilize everything we have learned there and use it to properly look to the present. There is enough stuff to do right here, right now. Knowledge learned but unused equals no knowledge at all. A crisis, whether a personal or a global one, can be a great opportunity to improve. But let's be real. This recent crisis will be the root of many future problems, despite all the 'experts'.

The worst of it is that most of it was simply not necessary. What humanity has done these last months, I will keep in mind for a long time. Almost all our systems have failed. If we can't find solutions to the questions of our time, then it means that we live in a declining society. Of course it is impossible to appease everyone, but we can try, at least. Since we live in a fast, interconnected, asymmetric, and highly unbalanced world, this is extremely hard to do. I understand that. And it explains somewhat why authority is on the rise again.

Humanity has so much wisdom, but our instincts ultimately always get the better of us. We all crave the same. Security and control. Toddlers and oligarchs have the exact same desire. Only the scope is different.
    Unfortunately most of us only come to realize what we have when it was taken from us. This became aware by Corona globally, and for me personally it became even more painfully aware when my best friend killed himself a short while ago.

'We need to find balance, both personally and globally' is the ultimate message I want to send out. If we don't do that, time and nature will force its way. That's what I learned from history and my own life.
    One thing I know for sure: we are here for reasons and circumstances. And we also are victims of our DNA on one side, and victims of our experiences on another. The first is something we cannot control (well, ok, today we can, but it's not that easy yet). The second is (comparatively) easy to control. And because of that, it is no wonder why the media is so powerful and the world so confused today.

Haunting as it is, it all feels like the perfect setting for a strategy game. I wonder how the world will react to the problems of the near future. I fear the worst, especially in terms of China. Authority, hypocrisy, globalism, monopolism, climate change, massive scientificial breakthroughs, and so much more. We have it all. There's quite a lot to do for us, but in the end we are all just single humans in a sea of millions and billions. And because of that I repeat: we need to try to find our balance between everything; between ourself and the world as best as we can. I want us all to live a healthy, happy and good life. What your purpose and goal in this world is, and what this "good" means... that's something everyone must answer for themselves.
    Some of us become villains in search of these answers, and others are simply portrayed as such. However, reality is much more complex than that. I got pushed to the limit quite often in these recent months. And I must say: it has been an interesting experience to make. I found my answers, and I will continue to stand my ground as well as possible, while at the same time trying to keep an open mind as best as possible. And if society or time itself make me a villain for simply being myself... well, so be it.

Spoiler for Video

tl;dr: Awkward pseudophilosophical stuff. Humanity is just weird af, lol. If we all could just relax a bit more, that'd be nice.
    Last edited by Derc; July 31, 2021 at 09:26 PM. Reason: stuff

Campidoctor

Regarding the AAR itself: right now I'm too lazy to continue. But never say never. The AARception concept allows to return anytime. I don't like to say 'this is the end' (except for dramatic purposes ;P). It's so ultimative. Hence the reason why I favor to call it a 'bigger pause'.

Playing through it all was unlikely from the very beginning. The opening post already said that. The fact that Total War has become the Call of Duty of strategy gaming, getting a new title almost every year, hasn't made that any easier. But that's fine.

What I originally planned at this year's beginning was to introduce a 'choose yourself' approach. Let's stick with it, and give you an overview of all the remaining campaigns at least.
    Sorry people, I have written this list at the beginning of 2021. Too lazy to rewrite it to fit the altered circumstances.

List of all remaining campaigns:

• Shogun | Imagawa | We start with two batches of land, both of which are located very far away from one another. Special goal: I can only expand from the weaker land in Kyushu, while simultanously having to hold the "stronger" one in eastern Japan. Easier said than done.
    • Shogun - Mongol Invasion | Mongols or Ashikaga | Already played it as the Mongols, but perhaps I will replay it as Ashikaga, trying to repel all these invasions. Your decision?
    • Medieval - Viking Invasion | Your decision | Since I lost my save, this campaign might be replayed at the same time it is told, making it an fully interactive AAR - a 'During Action Report', so to speak.
    • Rome | Germania | Exploiting the hell out of the campaign with extremely edgy tactics on the battlefield, literally speaking. Also, the invasion of a region with naked fanatics only. Features self taken pictures from my home country as a Weekly Dose.
    • Rome - Barbarian Invasion | Western Roman Empire | Stop the inevitable from happening
    • Medieval II | Hungary | Steamrolling the map really fast, trolling everyone, especially the Pope, getting trolled by heresy in turn. Karma, I guess.
    • Medieval II - Crusades Campaign | Turks | Playing as Sultanate of Rum only. The Zengid lands have to be abandoned. This is Kilic Arslan's story, not Nur ad-Din's one.
    • Medieval II - Americas Campaign | New France | Play unplayable France, technically speaking a horde faction, and see what we can do. A little genocide, perhaps?
    • Empire | USA | Playing the Road to Independence campaign and have a late start for world conquest. Let freedom spread everywhere! Goes with itself that we would mock the US really hard here. Murica, f... yeah
    • Empire - Warpath Campaign | Creek | Retake America from the white devil and fight bad balance, bugs and really bad design decisions while doing so
    • Napoleon - Peninsular Campaign | Spain | ¡Olé! ¡JAJAJAJAJA!
    • Shogun II | Date | Usually considered to be a very easy faction, sitting in its corner at the upper end of the map. But what if I make it a special goal to conquer only one coast of Japan, getting the longest stretching border in turn?
    • Shogun II - Fall of the Samurai | Tsu | Considered to be one of or perhaps the hardest faction of this campaign. Also one with a glorious color. Will we stick with the Emperor, go back to the Shogun, or become independent? Will we modernize or remain in old times?
    • Rome II | Seleucid Empire | Feels like Attila ported over to Rome. The Seleucid Empire is dying, and we need to try to hold together what is possible. Features a bug where many of my leaders died very quickly, and also an agent named Ampithoe. The many glorious tales of the armpit hoe are yet untold!
    • Rome II - Hannibal at the Gates | Carthage | Bleed out the poor Hispanics and push elephants over the Alpes like a total madman
    • Rome II - Wrath of Sparta | Corinth | Testing ENB Reshade to tint the campaign in entirely different colors and learn stuff about Greece. Also: the most impressing intro in all the history of epic TW intros and some 'Discovery Tour: Ancient Greece' snapshots
    • Rome II - Empire Divided | Palmyra | Reserved. Will play this one in the future when nostalgia will have hit me really hard again.
    • Attila - Age of Charlemagne | Westphalia | Make Europe pagan again!
    • Saga: Thrones of Britannia | Strat Clut | The Old North remembers. Winter is coming. Game of Thrones jokes, obviously. And an AMAZING atmosphere + many interesting facts about Britain. I really, really loved this campaign, no matter the reviews.
    • Three Kingdoms and all its campaign DLCs | ? | Haven't played these ones yet, and do not plan on doing it for the next time.
    • Saga: Troy | ? | Haven't played that one yet, and do not plan on doing it for the next time.
    • Stone Age Scenario | Non TW Game | Stone Age? Non TW game? Once again, it'd be just another approach of things - a completely different one at that. The Neolithic era is way too important to miss out on.
    • The present | No game at all | If you think the stone age scenario is already hipster, think again. Why not make an "AAR" (rather an 'CAR' ) about real life, telling stuff that is happening in our wild, wild world?

I can't say when or if at all this will continue. But nevertheless: You go and make a wish. Whenever I return, I'll try to pick up on it.

If there are any general questions, feel free to ask.

Into eternity, brothers, hail and farewell. Or until next time.
    Last edited by Derc; July 31, 2021 at 09:47 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Great concluding comments and an intriguing list of possible future campaigns. I hope you'll enjoy your bigger pause and that more campaigns will appear in future.

There are lots of good possibilities. I particularly enjoyed the Road to Independence campaign in Empire, and I'd like to see how you handle the Seleucids in Rome II (I see what you mean about this campaign feeling like Attila) and I'd enjoy seeing how you'd handle Corinth or Carthage. The Strat Clut campaign sounds like a good option, too - I sometimes wonder if Thrones of Britannia is underrated.