Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Derc Plays Through World History

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Medieval II Kingdoms - Britannia)

Quote Originally Posted by Derc
    The country longs to be unificated.
    Wait what? Is that Australian mate?
    Guess we can't become friends then.
    I thought we already were... So this is where it ends. :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Medieval II Kingdoms - Britannia)

This looks like fun. It seems like you'll need to achieve your RL goal before that betrayal you're planning!

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Yay Medieval 2!
    I surely spent more hours playing this game (together with Rome) than I spent in church, and I went to a catholic school so we had to go to church quite a lot.

Anyway I'm stoked to see you play as the Scottish. Oh how I wish I were again backpacking in those glens and highlands, it brings back many fond memories.

A great depiction of me right now:

I am also excited for this one. And like Turk, Medieval 2 is one of the games that will always sit in a sweet spot in my heart.

Kilo might like it because not only is he an evil fellow but also loves a fine Scotch.
    You're right here Derc, I do like this one! But why does that make me an evil fellow? I just like freeeeeedddoooooooooooom! That and any nation that determines to be a thorn in England's side for literally centuries

But all kidding aside, I always liked to play as Scotland, even in the Grand Campaign, and I'm excited you chose the Britannia campaign, as that was almost assuredly my favorite expansion (that and the Americas one). And if you need a recommendation for a Highland Scotch, there are three that I know I have tried: Glenmorangie, Oban, and Tomatin. Here is what I remember from each one.

Glenmorangie: Solid all-arounder, more in the Speyside tradition. I'd recommend it, especially the blend that is barreled in used sherry casks.
    Oban: High quality, but with few very distinct flavors. Not my taste, but good if you like a less "aggressive" whisky.
    Tomatin: Somewhat odd, and unique in flavor. It is barreled in two types of cask; first used Bourbon casks, and then virgin oak casks. That makes it sort of between Bourbon and Scotch, in terms of flavor, sharpness, and smokiness. Not my thing either, given my distaste for Bourbon, but if you are into that direction of whisky, it does a fine job on that score!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Campidoctor

Medieval 2 - Kingdoms
    Britannia Campaign

--------------------------
    (Click to view)

The Scots have the liberty to choose their allies and their enemies.
    We are neither allied nor at war with anyone ... yet. We are sure this is soon about to change.

A young King Alexander sets out to conquer the map! Ring a bell?

The first thing Alexander seeks to do is to conquer western Scotland, unifying it with the rest of the country.

First contact with the Norse at the Isle of Skye.
    We view this island as proper scottish territory and won't allow them to take it. They have to leave.

Shrewd scottish tongues made it possible: The English accept to sell us Cumbria for 5000 Florins! We are sure it will pay off in the future.

Good to know that the English King does not care about the integrity of his country's border. That's a good start to work with.

Dunstaffnage and Inverlochly fall and the western coast is under King Alexander's rule.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Glen Coe

Beautiful area, indeed.

One war just ended but the other one loomed just around the corner.
    It didn't came as a surprise: The warlike Norsemen want the isles for themselves. This is where we clash. They shall feel celtic fury!

The Norse attack before reinforcements could arrive. Uncomfortable situation.
    It was an foggy day, like usual. The Norsemen appeared like beasts from the mist.

It is said that "it is easy to be brave behind walls." - but not when you are outnumbered three to one and your "walls" are nothing more than a sad joke.

The Norwegians invade from two sides but they can only attack at the northern gate. Their other army lacks proper equipment.

Scottish pikes pin them down at the gates. They also lose the battle on the wall. We use their only siege tower to fall them in the back.

Before the Norwegian forces from the south could arrive, most of their northern army has already been destroyed. Scots have turned the tide of battle.

Another fight ensues before the gates.

This battle ended in tragedy for the enemy. A lot of fine men died that day, on both sides.
    We managed to capture some Norsemen in the aftermath. They were later ransomed for a decent sum of gold.

This setback doesn't stop the Norse. They are serious about their ambition.
    But so are the Scots. The Norse attack again, fail again and are driven back into the sea.

Events from further down south: We did not manage to conquer Mull, but the island of Arran will soon be ours.

Scots arrive at the Outer Hebrides to take them from the enemy.

The Norse are assembling a big army north of Inverness. The war isn't looking good for them and they are willing to change that.
    We need to hurry and protect our beloved homeland!

Alliance with Wales and the Irish. Celts need to stand together in these troubling times.

It is rumoured that the Norse King himself is underway to conquer Scotland.
    These savages just don't know when it is enough. As they please! They shall come!

📎 Misc
    When I started up the Scot campaign one certain thing came to mind, just as it did now once again.
    Do you remember this?

Wololo!

I thought we already were... So this is where it ends. :'(
    I was joking. We will always be friends! *insert anime music here*

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Yay Medieval 2!
    I surely spent more hours playing this game (together with Rome) than I spent in church, and I went to a catholic school so we had to go to church quite a lot.
    Anyway I'm stoked to see you play as the Scottish. Oh how I wish I were again backpacking in those glens and highlands, it brings back many fond memories.
    Oh no. Now I imagine a young Turkafinwë sitting on a wooden school bench in some weird uniform, listening to a nun talking about Jesus Christ while secretly playing Med2 under the table. My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    You're right here Derc, I do like this one! But why does that make me an evil fellow? I just like freeeeeedddoooooooooooom! That and any nation that determines to be a thorn in England's side for literally centuries
    Maybe I'll take a fleet of captured ships and scuttle it off the coast of my adversaries' ports, just to show them how little I need them. That might be fun
    [...] Killing the pope and a princess, just to get one last stab in *wink wink* before the end. So unnecessary. So funny! [...]
    Your words say something different, Mister.

But all kidding aside, I always liked to play as Scotland, even in the Grand Campaign, and I'm excited you chose the Britannia campaign, as that was almost assuredly my favorite expansion (that and the Americas one).
    Britannia is my favourite Kingdoms expansion too. Played it with all facs (something I only did here). England in a Hotseat only. Scots the last, so that's why they get the spotlight here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    This looks like fun. It seems like you'll need to achieve your RL goal before that betrayal you're planning!
    Haha, yeah.
    I already got it. A bit faster than thought. See next quote.

And if you need a recommendation for a Highland Scotch, there are three that I know I have tried: Glenmorangie, Oban, and Tomatin. Here is what I remember from each one.
    *Wood's Guide of Woody Whiskeys*
    They all sound pretty interesting. But too late now. Too late.
    I went out and had to shop today. That's when I spotted a very fine thing: Aberfeldy. All happened so fast then.

Now, I'm usually a scrooge when it comes to such things but I had more than enough reasons this time to get one. It wasn't cheap. I expected no less and that's ok. It'll last some time anyway.
    I also usually do not really care where a thing comes from but this time I wanted a true Highlander. No Speyside. None from the Isles. One from the middle of the map. Never had a drink from there. Here's the result:
    • Damn good rating
    • Single Malt, Oak cask, 12 years, 40 % vol
    • A very mild smell. Can't really decribe it. It's that typical smoky whisky smell.
    • The taste itself is very tame. Sweet and smoky, some honey. Yep, definitely honey. And some grain. Can't make out any nut flavour.
    • Flows with average speed through your throat and into the belly. Not too fast, not too slow.
    • Prickles on the lips, as any good spirit should do.
    • A few minutes and that's when that mild Whisky-feeling kicks in. Lovely.

I like him. I'm not that much of a gourmet and know too few brands to say if there is a significant difference to Island Whiskys (which I am used too). Maybe more soft. Definitely less salty, of course.

I leave the field to you for the whisky tasting, Nate.

Citizen

Good first chapter. You need, however, 2 of them to qualify for the contest.
    We are neither allied nor at war with anyone ... yet. We are sure this is soon about to change.
    A young King Alexander sets out to conquer the map! Ring a bell?
    Well yeah he kinda did but what does the inventor of the telephone have to do with your AAR?
    ... No? No one? Guess that reference was a bit too obscure. Or the joke just bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserc
    First contact with the Norse at the Isle of Skye.
    We view this island as proper scottish territory and won't allow them to take it. They have to leave.
    [...]
    This setback doesn't stop the Norse. They are serious about their ambition.
    But so are the Scots. The Norse attack again, fail again and are driven back into the sea.
    That's lesson 1 from this chapter: Skye's the limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dercules
    The Norse attack before reinforcements could arrive. Uncomfortable situation.
    It was an foggy day, like usual. The Norsemen appeared like beasts from the mist.
    I know that feeling: If you think you're having a bad day, it can always get norse.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraudsterc
    I was gonna ask you what's the point of a good whiskey if you get distracted by the game and that of the game if you can't see it because of the bottle in front, but then I realised you were faking it with one of the screenshots you posted earlier.
    Lies! LIES AND DECEPTION!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerc
    I was joking. We will always be friends! *insert anime music here*
    I don't believe you anymore. Insert your pipe in someone elses bag :'(
    Preferably the Norse king. Cuz...
    Quote Originally Posted by This is gaylic
    ...these savages just don't know when it is enough. As they please! They shall come!
    That kinda explains why the Scots have to open their mouth so much.

EDIT: See what I did there? I referenced your loading screen. Traditions are important. Now get your 12er Highland whiskey and your bagpipe and get your rebellion going!
    Last edited by Cookiegod; April 08, 2019 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Hey, don't look at me like that! I'm not Scottish! I couldn't resist!

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Ahh, the Britannia Campaign, it brings back so many memories. I do remember playing as Norway, my favourite faction in there (Of course ). I now fondly look back on clicking the end turn button for the first time, and having the Scots take Arran from me, every single time. So you were a bit slow there.

You're off to a strong star, I'm looking forward to see how you fight (fought? If this sticks your formula, you've won it already) back the viking horde.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Campidoctor

Medieval 2 - Kingdoms
    Britannia Campaign

(Click to view)

We have reports of the English arriving at the isle of Man, a norse stronghold. But nothing more.
    Are they fighting for the Norsemen or against them?

English Barons revolt in eastern Northumbria, no longer accepting the schemes of the English King.
    We wonder what happened that they resort to such drastic methods.

The Baron Alliance's capital is in Newcastle, close to our borders.
    They threw out every Englishman that stood loyal to the King.

📕 History & Culture
    Can you imagine how they would've insulted each other in the Middle Ages? I do:

- "Thy visage maketh me heave the gorge."

- "Break thee off, maidens shoot! A jollyfull copulation with ye moth'r I have spent!"

There happened to be some administrative shifts in the Kingdom of Scotland recently.
    Glasgow has rapidly grown and not only becomes the biggest and wealthiest scottish city but also the new capital.
    (Scrooge McDuck would be proud.)

The Scots stay neutral. For now. We hope the Barons understand that. And accept the new borders of England.
    Don't even try! Cumbria belongs to Scotland now!

King Edward has a lot of problems in his country. That doesn't stop him from going on a crusade. Perhaps he is just sick of all these bad events in the recent years, of all that rain and just needs a vacation or salvation.

Longshanks is a terrible man. If he survives and returns he will just continue sinning again. Why do the journey?

The norwegian ships are intercepted. The Norsemen on the Isles can't retreat to their safe waters anymore and the Norse King together with his army is driven away to the icy waters of the unbeknownst north. Only God knows what beasts await them there.

It was wise to invest in a fleet and we Scots now understand that if we want to keep our lands safe, we also need to keep the waters safe.

The isle of Mull has been under siege for several years and is finally about to crack. We starved the Norsemen out!
    Wait ... that sounds familiar. Uh ... must've been the wind.

The Welsh ally with the Barons and ship an army to Dublin. What are they planning?

Orkney was recently conquered and Wick is about to fall too. Surrender is imminent.

It is accomplished. The mighty castle of Wick falls. Sutherland and Caithness are a part of Scotland and so will be the isle of Islay very soon. Scotland has been united, but not yet been secured.

To throw the Norsemen out once and for all, we will have to conquer their last stronghold, the isle of Man.

What are the English doing there??
    We Scots would rather favour to see a princess on the ship instead of an army.

We hear that down in the south of Europe some device is made to measure time. It does not rely on the sun and works even in the middle of the night. What witchcraft is this?

A great man arrives: William Wallace! What was managed on paper is completed by him. He brings all the clans together, ending their infightings between each other, unifying Scotland not only on the outside but also in the inside. The Scots can do so much more if they truly stand together.

William Wallace was just a simple man before he picked up his claymore. A man of lesser nobility. His sword - it is a monstrum, almost as tall as him. And he is certainly no small man.
    He stands tall on his foot and on the popularity of the people, but not in the stand of higher nobility. This does not mean much in Scotland. There are hardliners, of course, but skills are weighed more than bloodlines or opinions. King Alexander allows Wallace to prove himself.

📕 History & Culture | 📘 Alternate History
    Scotland and William Wallace

Alexander III. and Wallace never met in reality, the former dying before Wallace emerged. Wallace was a giant for his time, measuring around 6,39 foot (1,95m). He is a national hero in Scotland to this very day. However, a lot of historical data surrounding his person has been lost.

Today's Wallace is of course best known by Gibson's infamous movie "Braveheart". Nice film from the standpoint of movie making, but not from historical accuracy. This version of Wallace is heavy romanticized. What gives me the bonkers is that even Medieval II picked up on it and displays Wallace as that inaccurate Braveheart version (The nickname btw. actually refers to Robert the Bruce, not William Wallace).

Wallace historically emerged out of circumstances. Yet he still does appear here. We do not fight the English, they have their own problems. Alexander III is still around. Norway is losing. Scotland is doing well. Would Wallace also have emerged in reality under these altered circumstances? Unlikely, but not entirely out of question either.

There's a fine documentary around Scotland and Wallace out on Youtube. Bit too patriotic, but oh well. We're talking about the Scots after all:

Yeah great, they disabled embedding. Guess you have to watch it on youtube directly, if you want to.
    Fun fact: Ailein duinn starts playing around minute 2. Med2 Britannia uses the same song in its main menu (and so does Tomb Raider Legend).

1. Good first chapter. You need, however, 2 of them to qualify for the contest.
    2. That's lesson 1 from this chapter: Skye's the limit.
    3. I was gonna ask you what's the point of a good whiskey if you get distracted by the game and that of the game if you can't see it because of the bottle in front, but then I realised you were faking it with one of the screenshots you posted earlier.
    4. Lies! LIES AND DECEPTION! *Star Wars snip*
    5. I don't believe you anymore. Insert your pipe in someone elses bag :'(
      EDIT: See what I did there? I referenced your loading screen. Traditions are important. Now get your 12er Highland whiskey and your bagpipe and get your rebellion going!
    6. Berserc, Dercules, Fraudsterc, Jerc
    You spammed too much. Guess I have to rely on ... lists.
    1. I already have. And don't forget my trip to Japan.
    2. I guess they have to dwell on the rim then.
      ...Come on. You asked for it.
      FUS RO DAH!!!
    3. I would have to travel three years back in time to do that. That's when I played the campaign. Not hard to do by just reloading a save but, you know, I already said in Kilo's Whisky-thread that Whisky and Total War do not work that well together. Drinks and my keybord don't do in general.
    4. I thought you were a Star Wars hater? So your video speaks for itself.
    5. Glad you're back at it. Missed it.
    6. Guess I had it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Ahh, the Britannia Campaign, it brings back so many memories. I do remember playing as Norway, my favourite faction in there (Of course ). I now fondly look back on clicking the end turn button for the first time, and having the Scots take Arran from me, every single time. So you were a bit slow there.

You're off to a strong star, I'm looking forward to see how you fight (fought? If this sticks your formula, you've won it already) back the viking horde.
    All factions are cool and unique on their own. I'll do a survey later regarding that. The devs really did many things correct here.

The norse invasion was a bit disappointing but one special fight against them was all the more epic. See it in the next update.

Arran is just a dumb village at the beginning. So I waited until the Norse upgraded it.
    (Hope that's a good enough excuse for my sloppiness.)
    Last edited by Derc; April 13, 2019 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Some corrections were needed again :\

Another nice update Derc, but I expected no less Seriously, I really am liking your AAR greatly. It's always fun and silly in just the right places. You're killing it here!

I already said in Kilo's Whisky-thread that Whisky and Total War do not work that well together.
    Seriously! So much pixelated blue on blue fire from archers has happened that way And so many cavalry charges into pike lines that are most assuredly not pointing away from you, like your alcohol-addled mind thought they were. Friends don't let friends drink and command virtual armies!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Content Emeritus

Two lovely updates and a nice bottle of Scotch to complement it! I haven't had the pleasure of drinking that particular one but I might try it out sometime. I really should start following Wood's Guide to Whiskies but I'm afraid that if I do I would want to taste all the whiskies unknown to me and bankrupt myself in the process (and destroy my liver ).

Glen Coe is indeed a wonderful place. You can get a breathtaking view of it when you've climbed the Devil's Staircase which is breathtaking in its own way.

I almost choked in my tea when I saw the Middle Age trashtalking, really great stuff

Oh no. Now I imagine a young Turkafinwë sitting on a wooden school bench in some weird uniform, listening to a nun talking about Jesus Christ while secretly playing Med2 under the table. My apologies.
    You're not too far off to be honest. (The uniform didn't really bother me all that much)

The baron's revolt and the King's departure sound like opportunities for Scotland, but it seems like William Wallace has different ideas. I look forward to finding out what he's planning. I enjoyed the discussion of alternative history and the Skyrim Very Special Edition is funny (was that their April Fools joke?).

Campidoctor

Medieval 2 - Kingdoms
    Britannia Campaign

(Click to view)

The Scots invade Ireland. But not as you would have expected it.

Some kind of cloth is invented that makes you able to see properly again - at the cost of making you look like a fool.
    These Italians are real jesters.

As if that witchcraft named 'clock' wasn't enough! Now we hear rumours about a new kind of demonic weapon!
    We are reighteous people. We don't want to have anything to do with it.

The last norse stronghold is well defended.
    Very, very well defended.

We land our troops on three different coasts. King Alexander invades from the northwestern coast and Wallace from the southern one. Another army stands ready as a reserve.
    The whole island becomes a battlefield.

A gigantic battle ensues that will decide the fate of the Isles.
    Wallace holds the high ground. He and his troops engage the Norsemen first. King Alexander stands ready to reinforce.

The attack succeeds. The Norsemen retreat down the mountain.
    That's when King Alexander and his troops emerge at the horizon. His banners can be seen from afar!

The giant norse army is pinced down from the front and from the back. Archers rain down arrows from the cliff.
    A slaughter ensued. The Norsemen had more men and better troops.

It was of no use considering the situation they found themselves in.
    Some flee, some try to regroup.

Wallace makes it a sport for himself to slash some tall Norsemen down.

The norse leader is encircled by Wallace's troops and meets his dolorous end.

You would think this is it but you are wrong. The last norse army, seeing their brothers die and unable to flee, put themselve into a frenzy and charge into Wallace's troops. Wallace's men are still in a chaotic state and so are easy prey for the Norse.

At the end King Alexander's troops save they day and kill the last norse general.

A lot of blood has been shed that day.
    It would be a battle people many years from now on would talk about.

The Norsemen ravaged Britannia's shores for centuries. Now they are finally driven out.
    A chapter in Britain's history comes to an end.

Another nice update Derc, but I expected no less Seriously, I really am liking your AAR greatly. It's always fun and silly in just the right places. You're killing it here!
    kthx. Just started reading your AAR too, as you might have seen from the +rep by now.

Two lovely updates and a nice bottle of Scotch to complement it! I haven't had the pleasure of drinking that particular one but I might try it out sometime. I really should start following Wood's Guide to Whiskies but I'm afraid that if I do I would want to taste all the whiskies unknown to me and bankrupt myself in the process (and destroy my liver ).
    Yeah Kilo, what have you done to us?

Glen Coe is indeed a wonderful place. You can get a breathtaking view of it when you've climbed the Devil's Staircase which is breathtaking in its own way.
    Indeed. Would love to make some holiday there some day. But the Brits have decided they don't want us.

I almost choked in my tea when I saw the Middle Age trashtalking, really great stuff
    Although this one was from me, it was inspired by English to Shakespearan translator. I recommend it if you want to fool around.

The baron's revolt and the King's departure sound like opportunities for Scotland, but it seems like William Wallace has different ideas. I look forward to finding out what he's planning. I enjoyed the discussion of alternative history and the Skyrim Very Special Edition is funny (was that their April Fools joke?).
    Hm, I don't know. It's at least a year old.

Everything is possible for Scotland now that the Norse are gone.
    What will they do next? Hm hm...

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    Yeah Kilo, what have you done to us?
    Oh, I just do my part, showing you all the path to complete hedonism. Just let it take you along!

Everything is possible for Scotland now that the Norse are gone.
    What will they do next? Hm hm...
    Oh, I do so very hope that your next target are the English in Northern Ireland. Those pesky English in earlier eras are like a bad foot rash... stop it before it spreads! (apologies to any English out there reading, but Scotland will always get my support )

At any rate, I'm glad that battle worked out as well as it did. To be honest, it looked like you were gonna get wrecked from the troop numbers, and even after the battle was over, they still had terrifying amounts of men left. I assume then that you had killed every potential King in that battle, and that's how they went down. If so, well done there, as you'd otherwise have had another blood bath like the previous one.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Citizen

Icon13 Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Medieval II Kingdoms - Britannia)

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey Chaucer View Post
    The wood hath ears.
    And a pen. And a drinking problem.
    The last norse stronghold is well defended.
    Very, very well defended.
    Wait, what happened to that rebel army?!
    The Norsemen ravaged Britannia's shores for centuries. Now they are finally driven out.
    A chapter in Britain's history comes to an end.
    Great. Now only worsemen are left. #noexit
    This is how I imagine Wallace now:

Where are the Norsemen supposed to go now?! Paris?
    Oh, I just do my part, showing you all the path to complete hedonism. Just let it take you along!
    Fun fact: OWaP chapter 2 is brought to you by Tullamore Dew and Co.

That's a suitably grand battle to decide the outcome of the war. This update got me wondering whether Wallace survived. I enjoyed the comments about new inventions!

Content Emeritus

That must've been an epic battle to play, at least the screenshots make it seem so! I'm somewhat sorrowful to see the Norsemen defeated, he is my only ally in a hotseat I'm currently playing so the Norwegians have a special place in my heart.

I'm somewhat offended by these "Lucid Visions". I do not look like a fool with my spectacles on! .......... or do I? I'd never thought to be bullied by one of my favourite games, why Medieval 2. WHY!!! I'll go to Italy and destroy the place with this newfound weapon they call "gunpowder". That'll teach 'em, laughing at me and my spectacled brethren.

Campidoctor

Medieval 2 - Kingdoms
    Britannia Campaign

(Click to view)

King Edward returns and makes it his task to reconquer York for the English crown. He succeeds.

Meanwhile the English situation in Ireland is not looking too good.
    We sail to Ireland to help our Irish ally. They, however, are doing well enough on their own and insist that they never called us there.

Trim falls and with that our task in Ireland is done.
    We are a bit angry. First the Irish call us to their aid and then all we do is to sit around.

We load up our troops and are ready to sail away.

The Irish repeat that there seemed to be some misunderstanding. Perhaps it was because of their accent.
    They then accuse us of stealing their sheep! This has gone too far! Nemo me impune lacessit!
    It looks like our job in Ireland isn't entirely done yet.

Yeah, it's better when we Scots rule the Emerald Isle. We are clearly the better Celts.

The land itself sees it that way. Only a few years have passed and one third of the country is already scottish. Isn't that a sign?

Perhaps not. The Irish think they should still be the ones to rule Ireland and try to make their point by retaking Trim.
    Irish to rule Ireland! What a foolish idea!
    King Alexander and William Wallace are about to clear this misunderstanding.

But then the treachery! The English attack us! How could they?! We were best friends!

Is it because there are too many Scots around Lincoln?

⚙️ Authors Note - Technical
    Hostile spies can decrease the stability of a settlement. But no matter what I did, I could not get the city to rebel.

Trim is about to be conquered once more. The gates are open thanks to our two spies inside. The Irish are fairly surprised.

The gate of the inner yard was sabotaged too. King Alexander and Wallace take the castle and kill Irish Prince David in the process.

The Irish want to retake Cork. Or do they rather want to shoot it to pieces? They have way too much artillery.

Our troops engage them just in time. They needed to be fast and rushed straight into the enemy. He had no proper chance to use his equipment this way.

Not so lucky anymore, are we?

The Irish are still strong. It's nothing a fine Scotsman couldn't handle.

The Baron Alliance managed to retake York in the meantime.

Inspired by our conquest in Ireland, Wales is making some advance.

Hope you guys had a nice Easter, as I did.

Oh, I do so very hope that your next target are the English in Northern Ireland. Those pesky English in earlier eras are like a bad foot rash... stop it before it spreads! (apologies to any English out there reading, but Scotland will always get my support )
    You were partially right, as you've seen.

At any rate, I'm glad that battle worked out as well as it did. To be honest, it looked like you were gonna get wrecked from the troop numbers, and even after the battle was over, they still had terrifying amounts of men left. I assume then that you had killed every potential King in that battle, and that's how they went down. If so, well done there, as you'd otherwise have had another blood bath like the previous one.
    Yeah, they dissolved after the battle. Taking the castle from the rebels was no problem then.

Wait, what happened to that rebel army?!
    They ... are nice guys and went to visit their elders.

This is how I imagine Wallace now:

You're killing me.

That's a suitably grand battle to decide the outcome of the war. This update got me wondering whether Wallace survived. I enjoyed the comments about new inventions!
    Yes, he did. It was a close one thought. Would've been tragic if Wallace died that early. Alexander's curse would've struck again.

That must've been an epic battle to play, at least the screenshots make it seem so! I'm somewhat sorrowful to see the Norsemen defeated, he is my only ally in a hotseat I'm currently playing so the Norwegians have a special place in my heart.
    Cool. Who are you playing? How's the situation?
    Just don't ally with the Scots. They're a treacherous, bipolar bunch.

I'm somewhat offended by these "Lucid Visions". I do not look like a fool with my spectacles on! .......... or do I? I'd never thought to be bullied by one of my favourite games, why Medieval 2. WHY!!! I'll go to Italy and destroy the place with this newfound weapon they call "gunpowder". That'll teach 'em, laughing at me and my spectacled brethren.

Thinking about it ... glasses and gunpowder appeared at the same time. Coincidence? Does not look like it.

Oh, Celts on Celts while the English sit merrily by and sip their tea... it brings tears to me eyes! I just hope you can end the war between the Gaelic factions quickly and get back to the rightful enemy, the English!

Also, "Shrewsbury" might be one of the best settlement names I've ever seen in a TW game.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Campidoctor

Medieval 2 - Kingdoms
    Britannia Campaign

(Click to view)

Lancaster is taken, cutting off the English crown from an strategic location and an important castle.
    We now share a border with our Welsh ally.

The Barons and a lot of their forces camp in northern Ireland, watching the Irish being overrun by angry Scotsmen.

Time to attack the English where it hurts most, aye?

The loss of their merchants surely crippled the English. The Welsh push deep into their land and started besieging London!

They conquer it a short time later. The Irish share the pain of the English.

The last independent Irish are downed in Downpatrick.
    Scotland has just secured its monopole over the whisky market! We will keep it forever. We only have to be careful about rebellious colonies in the far future.

The Welsh impose some harsh regulations on the population of London. They make sure to let the English suffer.

Scots are more open minded regarding such sports. We do not think God would be offended by them.
    Perhaps we will give this sport a try. We somehow have the feeling it belongs to Britannia.

The Irish are gone.
    Now to the English Crown that still clings to western Ireland!

We got Athenry but there remains a problem.
    The English trapped themselves in a little lake. Cunning. We can't reach them. A dangerous new tactic of defensive warfare.

The Scots forge an unholy alliance with the English Barons. Let's see what will come out of it.

You know what a good Scotsman does? Betray his friends who have become too powerful in the duration of just one chapter.

☯️ Philosophy & Spirituality
    There is at least one Scot who knows what's up.

I have a question, you guys:
    What faction do you like more in the Britannia Campaign? The Irish or the Norwegians?

Please choose only between these two.
    I'll evaluate the results in the next update. I have my premonition...

Also, "Shrewsbury" might be one of the best settlement names I've ever seen in a TW game.
    The Welsh took this name serious and were just as shrewd in this chapter. Impressive expansion. Really hurt me backstabbing them.

We got Athenry but there remains a problem. The English trapped themselves in a little lake. Cunning. We can't reach them. A dangerous new tactic of defensive warfare.
    How in the hell did they even do that? I swear, the English can't do anything right! Well, I assume you'll figure out some trick for getting rid of them. Either that, or the native Irish will just heckle them from the shore until they abandon the ships for a good fist-fight. From my time in Ireland I found that winding people up was a skill very well honed in that folk!... I miss them and their antics.

I have a question, you guys:

What faction do you like more in the Britannia Campaign? The Irish or the Norwegians?
    Oh, the Irish any day! Truth be told, I'm not sure I even ever played as the Norwegians. The Irish are, well, Irish, so they get points for that, and if I remember correctly they have dragoons in the late game, which is just awesome! I assume the mounted gunners are often drunk, and thus not terribly accurate, but still a riot to use nonethless
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources