Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Derc Plays Through World History

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Attila - Grand Campaign)

Let's see if the Empires of the East will be a nuiscance for the Great Attila!

Another Negan clip. We are truly blessed!

Quote Originally Posted by Derc
    "Travelling the world on horseback. Book now and secure a black Andalusian!"
    Attila Tours - We will watch your world burn
    Actually made me laugh.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I agree with Kilo11 about the amazing screenshot with the moon (and the text underneath) which captures brilliantly the devastation and despair in the lands where the hordes have travelled - and also agree with Turkafinwë about the Attila Tours tag line! It looks like nothing and no-one can stop Attila.

Campidoctor

Attila
    Grand Campaign

--------------------------
    (Click to view)

In the evershifting sands, the Horde came off track. Travelling foreign lands can be confusing, especially when there is not even a clear road to take.
    Countless tribes and empires could not defeat the Huns. Nature itself almost did. But the Huns are nomads. And nomads don't need a track.

Attila and his men may have missed Egypt, but they ended up in another mysterious land just as rich, Ethiophia.

These lands are brutish for the Huns, so they had to adapt. Attila attacked only in the middle of the night, when the lands were cold and the sight was bad. He would then rain down flaming arrows over the dunes before the Aksumites could even see anyone. The real damage may have been little, but the psychological one was tremendous. Attila was a master of psychological warfare. By that, he could defeat the mighty Aksumites.

📝 Authors Note
    Hunnic horses would've had a pretty rough time galloping through this endless land with barely any roads. Not to mention that they would've totally panicked when they smelled any camels (at least as long as they're unfamiliar to them).

Unlikely the Huns would've had found their fortune in Nubia, lol.
    ⚙️ Authors Note - Technical Flaming and/or whistling arrows are a really great way to break the enemy morale in A:TW.

Still in the far south, some Huns already made new plans.
    Hey! Slow it down!

The Eastern Romans have a rough time. Having lost all their holdings in Europe, Constantinople itself came under siege by the Visigoths.

Riding the Nile upwards would have been one way to get north. Making a detour through rich Arabia sounded like more fun.

Some exiled Romans in the west are very confident. Vicious words are thrown at the Horde.

Sands, sands, sands. The Huns heard a lot of stories about this mythical land. There are many mythical stories written in sand. *cough*
    Sorry, must've been the sand that has gotten into my lungs.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Shut up, Anakin. You know nothing.

Eventually the Huns hear news about their lost cousins, the White Huns. They are roaming somewhere north near Syria. Contact is established. The Hunnic family finally reunited.

The Sassanids got exiled to Egypt by the White Huns, and built a new existence there. They tried to rise out of the ash once more. Before they could to so, they met the other Huns.
    The Horde arrived and attacked in the midst of a desert storm. It all seemed so surreal. So apocalyptic.

The lights of the Pharos have been snuffed out forever. Now it's a crumbling, dark old tower looking down on burnt down ruins, nothing more.

Attila and a few of his men split off from the rest of the Horde and took a little tour to the old Sassanid homelands in the meantime, rampaging around as he saw fit.

Mesopotamia, just as Egypt, is said to be a very fertile and rich land. However, Attila didn't find much more than ashes. It looks like the White Huns have already left their mark.

They confirm. Their battle against the Sassanids must've been bitter. They travelled to the edge of the world only to take the last insignificant Sassanids down.

Constantinople finally fell to the Visigoths after so many failed attempts, after countless years of siege. Nothing can hold out forever.
    The loss of Constantinople crippled the Eastern Roman Empire significantly, bringing it on the brink of destruction.

Far away lands beg the Horde for peacy.
    Strange. How did war erupt anyway? Must've been an old grudge from a time long forgotten.
    The Horde accepts the truce. For now.

Galilee was deemed to be a holy land. Not to the Huns.

Asia Minor is a real hotbed. This is about to get interesting.

Attila and his men already arrived there, crashing right into the party.

One part of the Horde invades Asia Minor from the west, the other one invades the Aegean isles.
    However the Huns managed to get to Crete, all that is known is that the whole island was set ablaze.

The Horde then takes care of southern Asia Minor. Many settlements lie close together. The last lands of the Eastern Romans.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    I gotta ask, Derc: What was it like walking on all that glass? What with all that sand burning.
    Felt just like at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Ach. I want to rep you nine times just for that image with the moon and the quote beneath it (that is a beautiful shot, by the way), but apparently, I need to spread some rep around first I will be back with offerings soon enough!
    Your comments are much more worth than any +rep. And while I really appreciate them, I always want to test out just how "good" these screenshots really are. That's why I like submitting them in the weekly screenshot competitions.
    One from Attila already won.
    Pompey also won. But who remembers this old geezer anyway? It was in an age long past, and in another universe after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Let's see if the Empires of the East will be a nuiscance for the Great Attila!
    The East was ... surprising, to say the least.
    See it in the next update.

Another Negan clip. We are truly blessed!
    Seriously, I don't like TWD. Hate me or love me. But Negan. Negan is one of the best villains of all time. He actually made me watch that one season. Really loved it. Then all went to stereotypical **** once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I agree with Kilo11 about the amazing screenshot with the moon (and the text underneath) which captures brilliantly the devastation and despair in the lands where the hordes have travelled - and also agree with Turkafinwë about the Attila Tours tag line! It looks like nothing and no-one can stop Attila.
    Glad you enjoyed this . There are a lot of fantastic pictures out there, not just from me.
    Last edited by Derc; September 23, 2019 at 11:48 AM. Reason: May the force be with you

The day of reckoning, indeed! The arrival of the Huns in the desert storm does look appropriately doom-laden. It sounds like Eastern Rome has fallen, have the Hordes created a full circle of burned lands around Western Rome by now? I wonder what Western Rome is doing and much much of it remains.

Content Emeritus

The East was ... surprising, to say the least.
    See it in the next update.
    Not fair, the east was already weakenend by the most powerful and superior of Huns, White Huns. Jokes aside I had hoped to see you slog against the Sassanids but it seems SOMEONE (looking at you White bastards, always ruining everything ) robbed me of that pleasure.

To be honest I've never met anyone who likes sand. It is rough and coarse and it does get everywhere. mind =

Seriously, I don't like TWD. Hate me or love me. But Negan. Negan is one of the best villains of all time. He actually made me watch that one season. Really loved it. Then all went to stereotypical **** once again.
    Oh I agree, I'm not a big fan of TWD either but Negan, Negan is wonderful, beautiful creature

Campidoctor

Attila
    Grand Campaign

(Click to view)

The Huns travelled around the known world, almost back to where it all began. It meets, after such a long time, some old foe again, who wanted an armistice. Never!

The Horde will be happy to be back in the plains. But before that, there's still some business to be done down south.

Romans dwell in the ashes of their once so glorious cities. Nothing remained of the shine, of the old days of Camillus, Scipio Africanus, Caesar and Augustus.

Antioch still remained as the Horde had left it a few years ago. Some warrior recognized structures, the ships, the memories of that day this once glorious city was ransacked.
    Taking care of these few Romans was actually a mercy kill.

The White Huns fought against many others in the chaos of Asia Minor.
    Whatever happened, they did not survive it. Farewell, brothers. Be with Tengri.

Marrying a priestess with 55? Well, better late than never.

It is incredible. The Western Romans, despite being divided, would outlive the much stronger eastern part. They even rebuilt a little bit.

The Visigoths built a nice new empire on top of the ashes of the Eastern Roman one. They see themselves as heirs to the Eastern Empire.

The Eastern Roman Empire, however, is formally still alive, as the emperor and a few of his men managed to flee. They pose no threat to anyone anymore, but a true hunter has to chase his prey and gut it, if he wants to take the trophy home.

It was a great joy to give them a last visit...

...and such ending this rotten corpse once and for all. No one escaped this time.

Not even a century ago, Rome deemed itself eternal. No one would defeat it, so they thought. Destiny dealt a hard blow to them.

His name spoke for himself

The Visigoths grow ever stronger. If left alone, they would surely become the superpower of a whole new world. But the Horde is still there and still powerful. It has other plans.
    This new world will not rise.

Many seeked solace in the one god. Some got disappointed, lost their faith and returned to the old ways.

Attila still has some plans in Europe, but the East needs to be explored too. They found nothing but ruins. It seems like the White Huns were quite busy there.

This is good. Everything can be concentrated on Europe now.

Not quite. A little detour to the steppes has to be made before. The Horde eventually returned from where it set out. Fifty years have passed, and the world has become a radically different place.

Here in the Steppes, the Hunnic Horde reaches its ultimate zenith. It is the biggest and most fearsome horde the world has ever seen.

Not only the Huns, some other tribles have returned to the steppes as well.
    Before the Huns can deal with the Visigoths and the last Romans, some old scores have to be settled first.

It becomes once more aware that the Huns itself aren't a perfectly united people. The Huns are made out of many tribes. Internal clashes are quite natural.
    Attila usually lets them fight it out themselves. This time he clearly favours one tribe over another, making the unfavoured tribe break off from the horde. They are quickly taken care of.

The Greuthungians were once allies of the Huns over 50 years ago, then became one of their fiercest rivals. Burn!

📝 Authors Note
    Seriously, I don't know what was up with the Greuthungians in this campaign, but they were under steroids the whole time, annoying me so much. They were more persistent than any enemy before.

The Horde once made ready for war. It has transformed the world on its journey. But this journey hasn't ended yet. Their eyes were set on two very interesting targets. Rome and Constantinople still stood, even though their Empires are smoldering ruins.
    The day of reckoning was finally there.

Little announcement: This will be updated a little bit less frequent from now on. Max. once a week should be more than enough. I'm pretty busy in RL, and I also think too many updates are troublesome for viewers to keep up. Updates also have become much bigger and laborious compared to earlier campaigns. Rise of the Samurai might have been a campaign with only 5 updates, had updates been as big as here in A:TW. Tl;dr: Twice the size, twice the time.

The day of reckoning, indeed! The arrival of the Huns in the desert storm does look appropriately doom-laden. It sounds like Eastern Rome has fallen, have the Hordes created a full circle of burned lands around Western Rome by now? I wonder what Western Rome is doing and much much of it remains.
    The stages are set. Time to unleash hell where it'll truly hurt.

Not fair, the east was already weakenend by the most powerful and superior of Huns, White Huns. Jokes aside I had hoped to see you slog against the Sassanids but it seems SOMEONE (looking at you White bastards, always ruining everything ) robbed me of that pleasure.
    You were actually totally right, as this update had shown . Here's a +rep.

Oh I agree, I'm not a big fan of TWD either but Negan, Negan is wonderful, beautiful creature
    The show is actually pretty dumb and full of a lot of bad actors + plot(hole)s, but JDM truly shined in his role as Negan. He obviously had fun. It paid off.
    Plus: Negan knows how to handle a horde. That's why I keep making these bad jokes.
    Last edited by Derc; October 03, 2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: little adjustments

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Damn. I thought I had commented your last update, but apparently forgot to press send. That's some very important comment you're never going to see!

Anyways...
    Greuthungians be like:

"You were my hun, you scorched my earth..."

Gettit? Gettit? CRI ME A river?!

I know, I know. That one was so bad it hurt. Negan sends his regards.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

I like the detail that the Huns' journey has almost taken them back to the beginning. Former enemies and allies have fallen, but the Huns not only endure, they have supreme power (is the Imperium level for the Huns based on how many cities have been ruined and abandoned?). I wonder if how long the Visigoths and the last Romans will last.

Derc, you're tearing this world to pieces! But I am surprised to see how many factions are still trying to scratch out a semblance of survival in the ruins you are leaving behind. I really hope you can achieve ultimate victory and turn that whole map gray. Back to the roots, with only tribes and no nations!

| Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Content Emeritus

You were actually totally right, as this update had shown . Here's a +rep.
    My crystal ball has shown me the way once again!

The show is actually pretty dumb and full of a lot of bad actors + plot(hole)s, but JDM truly shined in his role as Negan. He obviously had fun. It paid off.
    Yeah he really gives it all in that role, as if he was born to play that character.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11
    Derc, you're tearing this world to pieces!
    I couldn't resist .

Who could've known the Germanic tribes would be the real challenge of this campaign .

Now go forth Scourge of God and crush those Visigoths and afterwards Rome should be easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Campidoctor

Attila
    Grand Campaign

(Click to view)

Attila got wrong information. There were still some Easterners alive putting up a fight. And they would gladly do so.

Luckily there was still an army around that could deal with them.

The Greuthungians get what was coming for them. Take that!

Attila wants civilization to be destroyed. But as soon as he razes one land, another little kingdom pops up at the other end of the world.
    These Brits seem to have a knack for western Hispania.

Not quite done with the Greuthungians, Attila returns back south to bring the fight to the Visigoths.
    Onwards to the gates of Constantinople!

A magnificient city, indeed, and the Visigoths have actually rebuilt it, not demolished it.

That will be a job for the Huns, it seems.

The city was well defended and its walls proved to be a significant problem. Arrows rained for hours and men kept dying the entire day. On both sides.

In the end Constantinople was taken and razed down, but the price was high. Too high in fact. Half the Horde was dead and Attila came under serious opposition from within. It took two years for the Horde to recover.
    The only way to stop infighting was to continue the path.
    ⚙️ Authors Note - Technical Upholding authority got really brutal at that point of the game. Armies had to be decimated every couple of turn, otherwise they would've defected. Don't know what I did wrong.

Tragecy strikes not only in the Balkan, but also in the life of this Hun.
    Perhaps it is some sort of karma.

Greece, said to be the birthplace of civilization, the very symbol of the ancient world, it is all gone. The Acropolis got torn down, the cities put apart, the population chased away. The once most prosperous region in the world has become a no man's land.
    Poseidon immediately responded with some weird graphics errors in the water.

The subjugator became the subjugated. The Visigoths throw themselves into the mud! However, they still have the guts to demand money for peace. Attila will show them how he feels about it.

Now that's a bit more complicated...

Pure chaos is northern Italy. The last thing this land could need now...

...is a Horde arriving.

📝 Authors Note
    This is the moment the last chapter got completed, thus achieving minor victory and getting the outro video. It would feel out of place to show it now. It'll come once greater victory got achieved.

Gettit? Gettit? CRI ME A river?!

I know, I know. That one was so bad it hurt. Negan sends his regards.

They can't cry anymore.

I like the detail that the Huns' journey has almost taken them back to the beginning. Former enemies and allies have fallen, but the Huns not only endure, they have supreme power (is the Imperium level for the Huns based on how many cities have been ruined and abandoned?).
    I think it is based on how big/powerful their armies are and how developed the yurts are, that you can build within them. Can't tell exactly how it is calculated.

I wonder if how long the Visigoths and the last Romans will last.
    Well...

Derc, you're tearing this world to pieces! But I am surprised to see how many factions are still trying to scratch out a semblance of survival in the ruins you are leaving behind. I really hope you can achieve ultimate victory and turn that whole map gray. Back to the roots, with only tribes and no nations!

Yeah, let's go all primal again.
    Chasing tribes down is a real bughunt. If you don't do it immediately and without mercy, it is almost guaranteed for them to rebuild somewhere.

My crystal ball has shown me the way once again!
    Yeah he really gives it all in that role, as if he was born to play that character.
    I couldn't resist .

Who could've known the Germanic tribes would be the real challenge of this campaign .
    Now go forth Scourge of God and crush those Visigoths and afterwards Rome should be easy peasy lemon squeezy!
    Haha, that was gold! Thank you.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

When I saw what "the Servants of the Kan" did to my poor Greuthungian friends, all I could think was: "Man, that's Rof!" *badumtz*

Didn't get the reference? That's ok.
    I'll let you revisit said screen.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Dude, I still can't rep you, which is ridiculous! This campaign is proving awesome, with every update being intense and brutal, and I am loving it! All I can say is: "Keep on burning, man!" That map will be grey in no time
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Content Emeritus

The curse of Sextus Flaccus lives forth in Balamber. We all know who will be wearing the trousers in that relationship.

Awesome read... as usual!!! Damn!

That's a dramatic milestone, Greece's famous monuments have gone. It sounds like you had a challenging battle for Constantinople, I wonder how long it will be before the Horse reaches Rome's gates. It looks like various separatist factions have appeared - Western Roman ones in northern Italy and Roman ones in the Balearic islands - I wonder whether they'll try to revive Rome after Rome itself falls.

Campidoctor

Attila
    Grand Campaign

(Click to view)

There are three realms that call themselve the Western Roman Empire. Who is the true emperor is up for debate, not that it'd matter.
    One of these little Emperors sees his chance in diplomacy, using it to lure the Huns into the lands of his rivals.

Attila seldom had a better laugh.

The Romans and Italy were spared, however. For now. The Horde needs to give Hispania a revisit before.

It all seems so familiar.

Funny enough, the Caledonians had an internal struggle going on, with the Caledonian seperatists helping the Huns, only to be slaughtered then theirselves.

These Britons seem to love this sunny place. But it also looks like that was the last tribe.

The Hunnic Horde shows increasing signs of instability. Time has gnawed on it like all else. Attila has become old, his word isn't taken with absolution anymore, drastic measures need to be undertaken to uphold the discipline of the men. It feels like the Horde is moving around in circles, bringing terror to the world but never to the heart of the Romans, the city of Rome itself.

Attila wants to see this city burn too. It is his ultimate goal, his last big prize. But he has to get rid of everyone else first in order to make it perfect.
    The first one to go is the false emperor sitting around in a sunny villa in Palma. Growing fat and throwing around insults is obviously a bigger goal for him than reclaiming Rome.

Attila promised he would come for him eventually. He kept his promise.

That the Vandals used to dwell around there at the same time is a nice bonus.

Attila should have just proven that he doesn't play around. The Horde, however, didn't get the message. It is disintegrating on a rapid scale.
    Perhaps this message will have to do.
    📝 Authors Note
    I find Attila TW's internal system to be much better than the one from Rome II. You can shush your people much better. You can also have a real problem if it fails.

Attila appeals to his men. He knows that they despise the Romans. "Now is the time to bring the war to Rome itself!"

"But first we have to..."
    Yeah.
    Paying a visit to the new Burgundian settlement next to Carthage's ruins can't hurt.

Attila's second venture to Hispania was perhaps the biggest mistake in his lifetime. It gave the Romans enough time to built up their defenses. The Horde also disintegrated a lot in that time.
    📝 Authors Note
    As once said, disintegration happens if you do not conquer enough and gradually increases as the campaign progresses (afaik).

When I fought the Goths back in update #8 I also saw that the Romans built up nicely. I left them alone on purpose to have a nice lategame challenge.

The second western emperor is disposed of. Only one remains. At least the Romans are now an united people again.

The Ostrogoths somehow survived in Ravenna and do their best to distract the Romans, giving the Huns enough freedom to sail north.

The combined force of the entire horde is needed to invade Italy. Attila orders all his men to what once was Mediolanum. His men from Africa raze the last isle, Sardinia, along the way.

Attila has arrived at a point where every single soul is important. Everyone. Everyone is needed. Even Huns like this creature. Gosh. What have we become?

Rome sits atop a destroyed world. Everything was lost in the span of only one century. This is nothing in comparison to eternity itself.

The Romans got rid of the Ostrogoths just in time.

This is the last clash and indeed a tremendous challenge both for the Huns and for the Romans.
    Whoever emerges victorious will have an empty world all for himself.

When I saw what "the Servants of the Kan" did to my poor Greuthungian friends, all I could think was: "Man, that's Rof!" *badumtz*

Didn't get the reference? That's ok.
    I'll let you revisit said screen.
    Just wait till next update. I shall have my revenge with my Huns, uh, puns.

Dude, I still can't rep you, which is ridiculous! This campaign is proving awesome, with every update being intense and brutal, and I am loving it! All I can say is: "Keep on burning, man!" That map will be grey in no time
    What can I say? Do you fear that I react like that?
    Nah. It shows perfectly that you're enjoying this. Which is the Maximum Optimum, truly.

The curse of Sextus Flaccus lives forth in Balamber. We all know who will be wearing the trousers in that relationship.

The ultimative beta Hun.
    "Hun-ey, would you please come here and massage my feet?"

Quote Originally Posted by JB2C View Post
    Awesome read... as usual!!! Damn!
    Glad to see a new face and glad you like it.

That's a dramatic milestone, Greece's famous monuments have gone. It sounds like you had a challenging battle for Constantinople, I wonder how long it will be before the Horse reaches Rome's gates. It looks like various separatist factions have appeared - Western Roman ones in northern Italy and Roman ones in the Balearic islands - I wonder whether they'll try to revive Rome after Rome itself falls.
    Oh yeah, well ... sorry I had no better pics of burning Constantinople. I actually autoresolved that battle. I reloaded it some days ago in order to get some nice screenshots, but got defeated. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    Glad to see a new face and glad you like it.
    New talking face yes, reading it for a long time by now

Glad to see Rome being Rome... but for how long??? Will be it's faith?

Ah, that map is starting to look gloriously gray. However, given the last few screenshots it looks like it will be some challenge scraping that last bit of color away.

I also have a question: In the first screenshot of this update it says your strength is ranked at #4... Given the later pics, I imagine #1 is the Roman faction that you have to deal with at the end, but who were the other two people who were apparently stronger than you at that point? I ask because given how you roll over everything, it seemed unlikely to me that there could be three factions that were stronger than you at that point...
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Content Emeritus