Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Derc Plays Through World History

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Attila - Grand Campaign)

You can't expect CA to give you all the keys to the kingdom at the start of the game now can you. I do agree with Kilo11, the image with the overlaid battlepic is really good and very aestethically pleasing. The Scourge of God is born! Praise the Sky-Father! Let the world burn!

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    Fix'd, you troll. At least partially.
    More fix needed.
    You got it. Milan is the true centre of debauchery. There's a reason why it is WRE capital here. Nothing good did ever come from it.
    Exactly my point. It should be allowed to flourish!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Great update, I enjoyed the way that you showed us the reactions to the Huns - some trying to fight fire with fire, some offering coins for peace peace and some even joining as mercenaries. Wow, three half-stacks at your command and everyone declaring war does sound challenging, I'm imagining you thinking "hey, where are the rest of my Horde, did you take a wrong turn in Sarmatia?" I agree with Kilo11 and Turkafinwë that the battle-pic appearing in the campaign map is a great idea.

Should I be worried that the strength ranking of the Huns appears to have dropped a bit (I think a strength ranking of 1 indicates that this is the srongest nation, 5 indicates the 5th strongest and so on)? Maybe that just indicates that some AI factions recruited troops in these turns while you were busy fighting battles?

Campidoctor

Attila
    Grand Campaign

--------------------------
    (Click to view)

The horde is ready to grow further and it certainly will. It will shake the nations with its size alone!

That's it with those Bastarns.

At the end of 401 CE the Huns reach the northern sea. They are greeted by the Rugians. They say the horde can't pass.

This is the answer.

It was unbelievable what kind of doom this little creature would one day be.

📝 Authors Note
    The Hunnic family tree is totally wrong. Attila's father was Mundzuk. Bleda was his brother. Uldin was his grandfather.

The various German tribes raise the alarm as they hear about the happening in the East.
    Several German tribes declare war on the Huns at once.

The Huns took the declaration of war with a smile.

The Roman Empire is suffering another civil war. It isn't the first, it seems.

The Romans paid their tribute not only in gold. They also send their children. Quite a lot of Romans grew up in the horde actually. Most of them saw that the Huns, even though brutal people, were no demons. They had their own customs, their own culture, their own view of things.

When the Roman children grew up, many of them remained in the horde, even though they were allowed to leave. Many of those that left told their countrymen that the Huns weren't as bad as it seems.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Yeah, right. The Huns may lay waste to everything but it's just a phase, bro.

Germania is a crowded and rich land. Its plundering made the Horde even stronger. It is now a really intimidating force.

Attila grows up well, having become a young, vital boy. He loves to hunt.

A shaman know what's up.

The Horde enters the wild land of Scandinavia. It was difficult to cross the water but there are always possibilities.

Hahaha! Yes, burn Denmark!!

⚙️ Authors Note - Technical Just as in Rome II, armies can cross water without a fleet. They just build their own temporary boats and are good to go. You get several penalties and have no chance against true navies but who needs that if you can cross the strait savely in just one turn.

I found this higly unrealistic. The sea was a true obstacle to the Huns.

Several people are captured along the journey. Mostly people the horde can make use of. One man especially catches the interest of the horde. He claims to be a swordsmith from the East. What is this man doing here?
    No matter. Whoever is of use for the horde and doesn't fool around is treated well. As the Roman children proved, the Huns might be brutal and warlike but they are no brainless savages.
    The man eventually became a friend of the Horde and stayed with it.

The Angles flee to an unknown land named Britannia.
    Tzz. As if they would had ever fled there. Totally unrealistic.

It seems the end of days is upon us, indeed.

⚙️ Authors Note - Technical TW Attila had some weird graphic glitches on very rare occassions. I think it was more a problem with my graphics driver than with the game itself. It was still funny. Once I restarted, everything was back to normal.

Attila has become a dangerous, well respected young man. If Khan Uldin is to die, Attila now stands ready to inherit him.

The chaos in the north forced several Germanic tribes to abandon their home, pushing into Roman land. The Empire couldn't stop the storm and so several little kingdoms have established themselves in former Roman lands.

Western Rome still holds central Italy and some other lands, but it's crumbling rapidly.

After a swift campaign in Scandinavia the Huns return back south, then head west and attack Frisium in the middle of the night.

The Rugians are thrown out and it shows that this land was a wartorn land long before the Huns showed up.
    The Horde met a Roman expedition. They told the Khan how happy they were that the Rugians had finally been defeated and how they could now return to their families in Britannia.

Hm, Britannia. That mysterious land full of fog and riches. Sounds great!

The game seems to be confused. Look, is this Roman guy's name now 'Asinius' or 'Anicius'?

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    I like the beginning. It is, as you say, somewhat humble, but you're getting a good start nonetheless. Also, I quite liked that one image where you overlaid a small battlepic over the campaign map. That was a nice touch, and a cool way to in one shot convey a battle without going into detail. Suffice to say, you deserve a rep, but as usual, I cannot yet give it.
    It sprang up due to space problems. This campaign floods one with so many informations it is impossible to show even a quarter of them. It has much more than any of the campaigns before.
    However, 20 pics should be the absolute maximum per update. This is a problem because I want my steps on the campaign map to be traceable, but at the same time show awesome battlepics. So why not use some uninteresting space on some screens to merge this and that? Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    You can't expect CA to give you all the keys to the kingdom at the start of the game now can you.
    Yeah, would be boring. Still a surprise to see the Huns are that weak at the beginning.
    "I am a terrible scourge!", said the Hun while fighting for utter survival in the middle of nowhere. Err, Russia. Is there a difference?

I do agree with Kilo11, the image with the overlaid battlepic is really good and very aestethically pleasing.
    These overlays can be a very dangerous thing. It can work fantastically, but it can also end up in something ugly. Glad you like it so far. Please tell me if I screw up. I can't improve otherwise.

The Scourge of God is born! Praise the Sky-Father! Let the world burn!
    Scandinavia, Germany and the Netherlands already did. The most important regions are dealt with.

1) More fix needed.
    2) Exactly my point. It should be allowed to flourish!
    1) Done.
    2) It is just with the food on the table when you were a little kid. You usually devour what you like the most. The ugly things are left to rot.
    I should've left Denmark alone then, eh? Nah, don't worry. I'll clean the plate. At least I hope so.
    3) Unequal list points just to screw with you

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Should I be worried that the strength ranking of the Huns appears to have dropped a bit (I think a strength ranking of 1 indicates that this is the srongest nation, 5 indicates the 5th strongest and so on)? Maybe that just indicates that some AI factions recruited troops in these turns while you were busy fighting battles?
    The AI is cheating pretty hard here. I don't know if more than in other TW titles, but I know the Huns are the worst of them, spawning several armies out of nothing. I would love to do that too, but I need some weird thing called 'money'. Damn.

Edit: I have no idea how to interpret the strength ranking . I never paid much attention to it. Would be easy enough to find out, but on the other hand rankings don't say much anyway.
    Last edited by Derc; August 26, 2019 at 03:31 PM. Reason: strength ranking

Citizen

📝 Authors Note
    The Hunnic family tree is totally wrong. Attila's father was Mundzuk. Bleda was his brother. Uldin was his grandfather.
    I agree, and have decided to help you out!
    Spoiler for Fix

See Derc, should we one day ever settle our differences, nothing would stop us. May this day never come, for the devastation inflicted upon the world would be greater than in your AAR.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

The battle-pic/campaign-map overlays in this one are super nice! Seriously, those are winning shots! But compliments aside, I have some questions with regards to this update.

First, regarding the campaign map, and all of that grey area: when you sack a territory and move on, does that territory just go to "rebel" afterward and become fair game for anyone to take? And if so, is it at all worth taking? (I remember from the last update the "sack" option said all buildings would be razed)

Second, how much do you need to plunder to stay afloat? Like, how often do you need to sack a settlement (once every X turns?)? I see that your outlays are only a little over 1000 a turn, which isn't too bad, but you still need to offset that somehow, and I imagine you have no steady income (although, let me know if I'm wrong about that).

Third, a question about history. You said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Derc
    Quite a lot of Romans grew up in the horde actually. Most of them saw that the Huns, even though brutal people, were no demons. They had their own customs, their own culture, their own view of things.

When the Roman children grew up, many of them remained in the horde, even though they were allowed to leave. Many of those that left told their countrymen that the Huns weren't as bad as it seems.
    Is that factual? I have never heard that before, but it would be an interesting fun-fact to know.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Content Emeritus

I agree with Kilo, those are some stunning pictures! My favourite is the second one where the flaming village flows nicely into the burning landscape of Europe. Really some great photoshop work right there! (I do some of that in my spare time so I have a great appreciation for it)

Yeah, right. The Huns may lay waste to everything but it's just a phase, bro.
    "You just don't understand it Mom! They're just a misunderstood people okay." - edgy Roman teen circa 406 AD

Scandinavia, Germany and the Netherlands already did. The most important regions are dealt with.
    The greatest haven for idiocy, ridiculousness and outright lunacy, aka the Netherlands, has been finally taken care off. Many thanks Huns! (I jest, I love my Dutch cousins to the north, if only they didn't talk so funny )

The game seems to be confused. Look, is this Roman guy's name now 'Asinius' or 'Anicius'?
    Go home TW Attila, you're drunk on pillaging and burning

Citizen

Is that factual? I have never heard that before, but it would be an interesting fun-fact to know.
    Yes. These forefathers of modern Sweden invented both multiculturalism and Stockholm syndrome and the burned and pillaged country.

Campidoctor

Attila
    Grand Campaign

(Click to view)

The old gods watched silently as the Huns arrived in Britannia.

This land is very rich, indeed, but also crowded and a battlefield between many different cultures. The Horde will end it all.

A friend made a voyage far southwest and was never seen again. Perhaps he has found new fertile hunting plains at the other end of the world. Perhaps he has found death. No matter. Only the Roxolanians remain as friends.

Hadrian's wall was once built to keep the Celts from the north out of southern Britannia.
    It was no obstacle to the Huns, who had a better solution to the problem.

The Huns ravage like a wild plague in Celtic lands, leaving no stone on another. The whole of Britannia becomes a torch.

The Bretons know a lot about ironcraft. It becomes apperant that the Horde will need to catch up and improve its weapon if it wants to stay dangerous.

📝 Authors Note
    Not only would the sea crossing have been a tremendous task for the Huns in reality, but they would also have had trouble using their composite bows in the humid conditions of Britannia. The Isles would most likely have been a grave for them.

Rampaging around Britannia was a great joy for the Horde. Almost done, ready to search for new prey, the inevitable happened: Khan Uldin died.

Now it was time for Attila to lead the Horde.
    However, he was not perfect and is still somewhat inexperienced. He would need to prove himself.

He did not need to wait long for it.
    It was clear that Attila was the rightous heir. But Tribal societies do not work that way. Only the strongest is allowed to lead.

📝 Authors Note
    Historically, Attila's older brother Bleda would either have been the sole khan or would have had ruled together with Attila. Attila disposed of him in time.
    Here, in Attila TW, Bleda (and any other character besides Attila) plays only an insignificant role. They are all generic characters. When the khan dies, the loyalty of all characters drops a little. The one with the lowest loyalty usually starts a civil war right away.

Attila ultimately prevailed. The horde got weakened in the process but it would not take long for Attila to bring it back on track.

The new khan would lead the Horde into warmer and even richer lands while his opponents would lie in the fog of this wasteland and rot along all the other corpses.

Some arrangements had to be made for the journey south. The Horde can't go there unprepared.

Four months later the Horde was ready to set sail, leaving behind a land of smoke, fog and rain, but also silence.

Rome is in a dire situation and still they use their remaining power to kill each other instead of fighting the enemies at their doorstep.

The Huns came out of the steppes. They didn't knew much about naval warfare. All their knowledge of ships came from the tribes and kingdoms they subjugated.
    The small passage between Britannia and the mainland almost proved to be Attila's undoing when he and his men were ambushed by pirates. It was a very dangerous situation for the young khan; one that would haunt him for the rest of his life.

While the Huns were busy in Britannia, several Germanic tribes build a new existence in their homeland. Even some Romans did. They thought the storm was over. How wrong they were! It had only just begun!

Back on the mainland with safe ground under his feet, Attila vowed to set the whole world ablaze.

I agree, and have decided to help you out!
    Spoiler for Fix
    Thanks a lot. Much more immersion.

See Derc, should we one day ever settle our differences, nothing would stop us. May this day never come, for the devastation inflicted upon the world would be greater than in your AAR.
    Pretty sure it would actually create a black hole.

First, regarding the campaign map, and all of that grey area: when you sack a territory and move on, does that territory just go to "rebel" afterward and become fair game for anyone to take? And if so, is it at all worth taking? (I remember from the last update the "sack" option said all buildings would be razed)
    Second, how much do you need to plunder to stay afloat? Like, how often do you need to sack a settlement (once every X turns?)? I see that your outlays are only a little over 1000 a turn, which isn't too bad, but you still need to offset that somehow, and I imagine you have no steady income (although, let me know if I'm wrong about that).
    Third, a question about history. [...]
    Good questions. Always glad when someone asks questions.

1) This region becomes desolate, as seen in chapter 1, picture 12 (the one about Hyperborea). There are no default Rebels in Attila TW. Every infrastructure is destroyed and the region becomes no man's land.
    Everyone can resettle it. However, it is an expensive task and rebuilding takes some time. Would be a shame to get it razed down again.

2) I snug a picture of the building and the technology system into this update. Armies can specialize, just like cities. One may have a military focus and the other one a more economic one. You may have noticed that I usually have one or two main forces and another little army wandering behind them. That's the one with lots of economic "buildings".
    However, one can not specialize too much, or the army will disintegrate. To keep things financially going you either have to diminish your forces (yuck!) or you have to rely on sacking and plundering.

3) I read something about it in a magazine a long time ago. I think it was Geo Epoche. Can't say for sure.
    It happened that there were some kidnappings going along to extort the Romans further, but it wasn't all too common or at least not particulary different from what happened in other cultures. So yeah, partially historical, but more an exception than the norm, afaik.

I agree with Kilo, those are some stunning pictures! My favourite is the second one where the flaming village flows nicely into the burning landscape of Europe. Really some great photoshop work right there! (I do some of that in my spare time so I have a great appreciation for it)

"You just don't understand it Mom! They're just a misunderstood people okay." - edgy Roman teen circa 406 AD
    [...]
    Ty. The hardest part is to actually get the right screens. Damn Barbarians don't want to pose for me.

We share the same sense of humor, Turk. ;D
    Last edited by Derc; September 01, 2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Killed two typos

Another great update, as was to be expected. Thanks for the info on how everything works. It's also good to know, as that clears up how you now have a positive monetary change each turn (there was a strat map shot where it said you were at +1600 per turn [though the next strat map shot showed -95, so who knows]). It seems like CA put some effort into making the hordes work in an interesting fashion and allowing for the sort of game you're playing now. Out of curiosity, what are the ultimate victory conditions for a nomadic raiding faction like the one you're playing? Is it "Destroy or outlast faction(s) X?", or just something like "Survive until turn X?"? I guess I am slightly perplexed about how one "wins" in this sort of game (but I assume that is because at heart I'm an empire-builder )
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Content Emeritus

Can't a poor Irishman just enjoy his sheep without them being stolen for five minutes. It seems the Huns learned something about Scottish culture. #prayforIrishsheep #saveourwoolybuddies

Let's hope Attila never finds the wonder called a a mirror, I'm pretty sure he'd be scared .

Ty. The hardest part is to actually get the right screens. Damn Barbarians don't want to pose for me.
    And that's why they have to be destroyed. You brought it on yourself barbarians.

Remember people, Huns don't kill people, uh uh, I kill people, *draws composite bow* with Huns *ploink*

We share the same sense of humor, Turk. ;D

Campidoctor

Attila
    Grand Campaign

(Click to view)

Not only the great migration and religious turmoil keeps the nations busy, but nature itself.
    The climate grows colder, crops are failing, famines become more common.

If it does anything, then it is to push the hordes ever more southwards to the fertile plains of the Mediterranean.

📕 History & Culture
    Not only the Hordes, but also a climate change was one of the major causes for the Great Migration. It was also one of the main reasons for the fall of Rome. Already plagued by corruption, religious strifes and raging hordes, famines were the ultimate nail in the coffin.

Climate change interestingly enough was a major catalyst for the entirety of history, from the beginning of humanity itself, to the formation of ancient Egypt up into the present and beyond.

The Roxolanians decide to leave this place of the world and seek their fortunes in a whole different land, just as the Magyars did. Farewell.

The Horde has arrived in Gallia. This land split away from Western Rome not long ago. It is a land full of chaos.

So why not enhance this chaos a little bit, bringing peace through terror?

While traversing this land, one farmer finds a blade. Blades usually can't impress Attila too much, but this masterpiece was exceptional.
    Good thing this blade wasn't stuck in a stone just like that weird one back in Britannia!

Attila has seen his fair share of war already, but he is still young. With every year he becomes more powerful.

The Horde eventually decided to leave Gaul, letting this land destroy itself. The Horde would come back later. Much later.
    For now, the path led the Horde to other locations. Leaving snow and ice behind, Attila and his men enter the suncoated land of Hispania. It burns just as good as the lands before. If not better!

Rome could not defend Hispania. It fell to countless migrating tribes from Germania and Britannia, most notably the Picts, Burgundians and the Vandals. Perhaps these little kingdoms would have built something great out of Roman ruins.

But it wasn't meant to be. The Horde had no mercy for anyone. Kingdoms were annihilated, tribes driven back into the woods, the woods set ablaze. Whoever survived was hunted down in the smoldering remnants of what once was.

The only significant resistance came from the Picts. They built a nice little realm in and around Olisipo. They lived in fear, but at least they lived. Let's give them a visit, shall we?

It seems they weren't home anymore.

A lot of people seek solace in their gods. However, it is easy to lose faith in these brutal times.
    Roman Foederati once split up in the north of the empire. Being romanised Germans, they could neither make use of the Latin gods nor of the Germanic ones. They seek their refuge in their new single god, as do many others.

That god won't help them. The only true religion is Tengrism. And with the Horde roaming around, Tengrism is leaving its mark all across Europe.

Having done their grim business, the Huns leave Hispania an empty land.

But not before giving the Burgundians a nice farewell present.

With another region subdued, the insateable Horde is once more looking for new shores to plunder.
    Where will it go next?
    Woe to the one who is living there!

Another great update, as was to be expected. Thanks for the info on how everything works. It's also good to know, as that clears up how you now have a positive monetary change each turn (there was a strat map shot where it said you were at +1600 per turn [though the next strat map shot showed -95, so who knows]).
    One word: mercenaries.

It seems like CA put some effort into making the hordes work in an interesting fashion and allowing for the sort of game you're playing now. Out of curiosity, what are the ultimate victory conditions for a nomadic raiding faction like the one you're playing? Is it "Destroy or outlast faction(s) X?", or just something like "Survive until turn X?"? I guess I am slightly perplexed about how one "wins" in this sort of game (but I assume that is because at heart I'm an empire-builder )
    The main goal is to just survive until turn X. The further goal is to maintain a specific number of units, build some specific tents, raze some settlements and plunder a certain amount of gold.
    Plundering can be a bit confusing. You can either sack cities or put an army on a road and select the 'plunder' stance. Only the latter counts towards the victory goal. I only figured it out at the end of the campaign. Made me almost miss the goal. Dumb.

Can't a poor Irishman just enjoy his sheep without them being stolen for five minutes. It seems the Huns learned something about Scottish culture. #prayforIrishsheep #saveourwoolybuddies
    That's how I imagine the Huns, had they survived into 2k19:

Citizen

This has been one rough week for Iberia on the TWC.

Also the job description "nomad farmer" has me kinda impressed.

Seriously. To paraphrase a mad scientist I'm a fan of: "You Rickety-wrecked them."

It's cool to me that this game includes not just info about the climate change of that era, but also has it impact the game in a real way. That was indeed a huge factor for a lot of stuff (like the low countries flooding and forcing all those people out), and it is awesome to see that properly brought into the game in a forceful fashion. Out of curiosity, does the mini ice-age make it impossible to hold/develop the northern lands at some point, or does it just make it difficult and those areas less productive? I'm just wondering if one could take as a challenge to maintain an empire despite the changing climes, or if that would be impossible.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Great screenshots and story-telling, as young Attila goes on a tour of interesting cultural destinations in Europe, burns them down and leaves them in ruins. It looks like the lands of the Celts have been devastated while the colder climate is inflicting famine on Germania and the east. I can see how Western Rome came under so much pressure from Germanic and eastern peoples. After the loss of Iberia, I wonder how long it will be before Western Rome's lands in Italy comes to Attila's attention.

Citizen

Wake up sheeple! How can there be a climate change in that campaign when things are heating up?! Derc is telling lies. LIES! LIES AND DECEPTION! The only things getting cold are the bodies of his enemies!

Content Emeritus

This was entirely inspired by Alwyn's comment about Attila visiting important cultural places in Europe and subsequently putting the torch to them.
    I'd like to believe that if Attila retires from plundering he'll open a travel agency.

Campidoctor

Attila
    Grand Campaign

(Click to view)

While the outer edges of the world descend back into primitivism, the lands around the Mediterranean become crowded places. Everyone wants a chunck of it, more so than ever before.

Africa is a land so hot that it could almost scorch itself. But a job is a job and things had to be done.

The local population isn't too happy about that.

It's not like the horde would care.

Now, after a long journey westwards and south, the Horde is back on the way east.

Africa is wealthy. The Huns continue their path.

Meanwhile the North is silent. No one wants to settle there anymore. Germany has been catapulted back into the stone age.

The Huns have very good spies, even if only a few. They are needed where it is necessary. It's fine to see that they are in good shape.

Carthago. That rich city. Once the capital of a mighty Phoenician empire. Sailers from Carthage would travel to every edge in the world, bringing riches from everywhere back into their city. No doubt, this city was one of the biggest and wealthiest ones of the old world.

Nothing more than a devastated ruin now.

The Horde continues its venture, leading it into the unwelcoming lands of the Garamantians. A desert. Nothing but a desert. Still - Attila knew that even the desert can hold incredible amounts of riches.

Two entirely different nomadic cultures clashed against each other.

Just like in the cold steppes of the north, only one could survive.

The Western Roman Empire collapsed, but the Eastern still stood.
    Eventually reaching Eastern Roman land, the Romans knew something had to be done immediately, no matter the cost. They set their internal quarrelings aside to face the Horde.
    In that they were more intelligent than their western brothers. They knew exactly what was upon them.
    It's funny. The storm came from the exact other side than they had originally expected.

Macomades will be the first of many Roman cities to follow. A nice example about what the Horde will do to them!

"We heard terrible stories about the Huns in Europe. They were all true. And now these devils were here and set fire on our foundations. God did not hear our bewailings that day.
    The few that survived now wander a scorched wasteland. It's not worth it for us to survive anymore. We lost everything. We are the truly damned."

The Eastern Romans are one of the few ones who might still possess the military capability to stop the Huns.
    Others do not. They revert to different methods.

Also the job description "nomad farmer" has me kinda impressed.
    Yeah, thinking of the term 'farmer' the traditional image of a guy growing some plants is what usually comes to mind, even before one thinks of the animals. Nomadic farmers were quite busy, breeding cattle, ensuring that it'd follow the Horde. Must've been quite some logistic challenge.

Seriously. To paraphrase a mad scientist I'm a fan of: "You Rickety-wrecked them."
    Et tu? Wouldn't one Rick & Morty fan already be enough? Just look what it did to Cookie!

Out of curiosity, does the mini ice-age make it impossible to hold/develop the northern lands at some point, or does it just make it difficult and those areas less productive? I'm just wondering if one could take as a challenge to maintain an empire despite the changing climes, or if that would be impossible.
    It "just" lowers the outcome of farms. They provide less money and less food. Food is indeed a rare and very valuable source in TW:A. If there are famines, then your armies won't replenish and your cities are much more likely to revolt.

I think one could built quite a nice empire up there in northern Europe. Only problem is that this area is horribly developed and it's a region vulnerable to nomadic invasions. Nice challenge, but there enough challenges already in TW Attila. Perhaps the hardest TW to date. At least as settled faction, or the WRE especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    [...] I can see how Western Rome came under so much pressure from Germanic and eastern peoples. After the loss of Iberia, I wonder how long it will be before Western Rome's lands in Italy comes to Attila's attention.
    Yeah, quite understandable Rome collapsed in the end.

Attila is planning to do something special with Italy.

The only things getting cold are the bodies of his enemies!
    Still not as cold as your Ex's heart.

This was entirely inspired by Alwyn's comment about Attila visiting important cultural places in Europe and subsequently putting the torch to them.
    I'd like to believe that if Attila retires from plundering he'll open a travel agency.
    Good pic.

"Travelling the world on horseback. Book now and secure a black Andalusian!"
    Attila Tours - We will watch your world burn

Citizen

I gotta ask, Derc: What was it like walking on all that glass? What with all that sand burning.

Ach. I want to rep you nine times just for that image with the moon and the quote beneath it (that is a beautiful shot, by the way), but apparently, I need to spread some rep around first I will be back with offerings soon enough!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources