Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Derc Plays Through World History

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Rome II - Caesar in Gaul [End])

See, I was gonna warn you about this. Brits ride their chariots on the wrong side of the dirt paths. If you aren't careful, collisions will occur.

And they did.

That bowler hat looked so British to me btw.
    Too few horns! This is what a proper helmet looks like.
    Last edited by Cookiegod; October 19, 2020 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Rome II - Caesar in Gaul [End])

Congratulations on another finished campaign! I always enjoy reading the conclusion/mini review at the end of each one

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Another campaign succesfully dealt with! I'm gonna miss the Asterix and Obelix cartoons. They were an absolute treat. I became enamoured with this particular campaign (perhaps it playing out in my neck of the woods could have something to do with it ). One of the funniest campaigns you have done so far I find. Have a well earned +rep Dercrix

Quote Originally Posted by Dercrix
    Haha. Thanks man. That gave me a good laugh.

Morrowind was such a weird game. I can remember that I made it my task to fully explore Vivec city, and I still wasn't done after a week. I love that I experienced the game, but damn, it was so otherworldly. And buggy.
    It's as you say a weird game but very lovable. I particularly loved the lore of the Tribunal and Dagoth Ur. (and come on the voice actor for Dagoth Ur was just perfect. Suave and sophisticated. I would go to Red Mountain and have Daddy Ur grant me the Divine Disease if he came to me in my dreams. I can't wait for the tentacles to start portrude from my face)

Quote Originally Posted by Dercrix
    Now you have your answer. Last region to be taken.
    I wanted to finish it in Britain, but man, these guys warmed my heart. Now it is cold again. :/
    Classic Morini. Backstabbers to the end. It was lovely to see the Nervii strike at you so quickly even though it was in vain at that point. A grand end for my people. Every tribe has their own Funny Hat man. It's Gallic and Belgae tradition to have an Olympic style contest who has the funniest hat. Nowadays the only living memory of it is known as Aalst Carnaval.

I can only chime in with the others that this was a great AAR (as all of yours are!). I also was struck by the very same thought as Cook, that that British dudes bowler hat was just the most immensely British thing ever!

Also, I am happy to tell you I've nominated this for AAR of the year in the Writers' Study Yearly Awards! Be sure to head over to the thread and make your own nominations as well!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History

A fitting end, indeed (for the Morini and for the campaign)!

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

As others have said, a great ending to a great tail. Also a good overview of the Caesar in Gaul campaign (and I agree, removing most internal politics wasn't a good idea... I was looking forward to it adding some extra intrigue to Boduognatus's adventures!) Though I actually like that navies aren't really a factor here, but then again I've never been good with navies in Total War.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Campidoctor

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History

See, I was gonna warn you about this. Brits ride their chariots on the wrong side of the dirt paths. If you aren't careful, collisions will occur.
    And they did.
    That bowler hat looked so British to me btw.
    Driving on the left line with a bowler on your head. You got a point.

Too few horns! This is what a proper helmet looks like.
    Did you seriously edit your post so you can deface this site again? o_O

Quote Originally Posted by Hitai de Bodemloze View Post
    Congratulations on another finished campaign! I always enjoy reading the conclusion/mini review at the end of each one
    Thank you, Hitai-san! ~^o^~

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinrix View Post
    Another campaign succesfully dealt with! I'm gonna miss the Asterix and Obelix cartoons. They were an absolute treat. I became enamoured with this particular campaign (perhaps it playing out in my neck of the woods could have something to do with it ). One of the funniest campaigns you have done so far I find. Have a well earned +rep Dercrix
    I loved the nonsense with altered names in the quote boxes. Let's keep it up.

It's as you say a weird game but very lovable. I particularly loved the lore of the Tribunal and Dagoth Ur. (and come on the voice actor for Dagoth Ur was just perfect. Suave and sophisticated. I would go to Red Mountain and have Daddy Ur grant me the Divine Disease if he came to me in my dreams. I can't wait for the tentacles to start portrude from my face)
    Morrowind definitely had an unique atmosphere, but damn, its animations and the run speed were a huge turn off. Have fun floating up the Red Mountain for 10 hours, if you don't have than speed enchancement armor.

Classic Morini. Backstabbers to the end. It was lovely to see the Nervii strike at you so quickly even though it was in vain at that point. A grand end for my people. Every tribe has their own Funny Hat man. It's Gallic and Belgae tradition to have an Olympic style contest who has the funniest hat. Nowadays the only living memory of it is known as Aalst Carnaval.
    Let's hope they can celebrate it again next year. I definitely embrace this madness more than the one from this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    I can only chime in with the others that this was a great AAR (as all of yours are!). I also was struck by the very same thought as Cook, that that British dudes bowler hat was just the most immensely British thing ever!

Also, I am happy to tell you I've nominated this for AAR of the year in the Writers' Study Yearly Awards! Be sure to head over to the thread and make your own nominations as well!
    Thanks. Sorry, I completely forgot about it. Lucky enough Cookie stole it away and nominated you.

Also, about the German, let's quote from your own AAR thread:
    This is something I find really cool about writing. You can plan and plan, and sometimes those plans even work, but most good character moments just happen. You set up some plot moment, and then while you're writing you realize that your characters could only do one thing. That then sets other things in motion, and before you know it, your story is doing its own thing. It is so interesting and also fun to watch your people just doing their thing, rather than deciding that they must do this or that. Definitely one of my favorite aspects of writing.
    Exactly what happened to me. What happens all the time, actually. All these campaigns are nothing more than a mixture of that weirdness that happens in the game mixed with the weirdness that happens in my brain. That one guy somehow reminded me of Von Hindenburg. Perhaps it was his facial structure, or perhaps an old photo I remember of Von Hindenburg, showing him in a melone hat.
    Anyways, it just happened as you said: One thing sets the other in motion, and when it became an option to rebrand this guy as 'The British', it was already too late. It just felt... wrong.
    Things happen. The Gauls do not know much about geography anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    A fitting end, indeed (for the Morini and for the campaign)!
    Thanks. No more guy with funny hat, unfortunately . I loved your thoughs about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    As others have said, a great ending to a great tail. Also a good overview of the Caesar in Gaul campaign (and I agree, removing most internal politics wasn't a good idea... I was looking forward to it adding some extra intrigue to Boduognatus's adventures!) Though I actually like that navies aren't really a factor here, but then again I've never been good with navies in Total War.
    Now is the time for your Nervii to conquer the whole map too.

--
    I can't keep up with my plan to finish the next campaign until Christmas, but whatever. This following weekend will still be the time when yet another famous historical person will set out to do historical stuff. Until then, have an adventurous week and a nice election.

Campidoctor

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Rome II - Rise of the Republic)

The Gauls could push back Rome. One tribe rose above all the others and delivered the allmighty Res Publica a devastating blow. Shortly after the Gallic Wars, the Republic died, transforming into the Roman Empire. We go in the opposite direction, looking at the time when the Republic just started to rise.

399 BCE.
    Greece is just past one of the biggest wars in its entire history. The different leagues ripped each other apart in the Peloponnesian War, the hegemony of Athenai is broken. Giant Persia sits at the doorsteps and laughs. As Greece licks its wounds and the giant watches, new opportunities and different powers arise in other lands.

Italy is a land of opportunity. Extremely fertile, extremely rich. Not just in terms of agriculture. Also in history.
    It was the perfect land for Greeks to settle, and as such the term 'Magna Graecia' is a fitting one for this place. Grand it is, indeed. As is Syracuse. A colony once, now surpassing its motherland, both in greatness and debauchery. The great Tyrannos Dionysios took power only a few years ago. Facing off against another great power, Carthage, and wild tribes, the Italiotes, Germans and Gauls in the north, it looks like Magna Graecia is the perfect mirror of its motherland.

But Greeks are fast learners, and the world full of rising powers. Nothing is ever the same. Perhaps here, things will be different. Perhaps it was the time to embrace tyranny, and give rise to an empire.

Total War: Rome II
    Rise of the Republic

Syracuse

Starring: Vincent van Gogh Dionysios I., Dionysios II., Cookiegod (in the offset, explaining things)

Let's embark on an odyssey and see where the waves will take the great tyrannos of Syracousai. The sails are set. The course: unknown.

Another Rome II campaign! I do this to have a direct comparison between an early Rome II DLC and a late one.

There was one thing very special about this campaign: I never had to think about as who to play as. Cookiegod is a huge Dionysios nerd, so playing Syracuse was basically mandatory, making this the first dptwh to be shared beforehand with someone else. There was a greater plan behind it, of course. Cookiegod knows so much about the background of this campaign that I planned him in as some kind of co-author, sending him the entire draft of this AAR a short while ago, so that he can prepare to enlighten us with his wisdom. We had a little foretaste of that in the Napoleon Campaign.

This is a formless thing. Perhaps he will do it sometimes. Perhaps he will do it many times. Perhaps he will never do it at all.

After a crazy week, where the Republicans seem to go down and the face of tyranny changes, what better time than to start now?

Similar to Dionysios in this campaign, we embark on quite an odyssey in reality. Around the time when this campaign will end, most likely directly at the end of the year, we too will have changed once again, having learned much, good as bad. Let's see where the waves will take us. Bon voyage.

Campidoctor
    Last edited by Derc; January 03, 2021 at 12:56 PM. Reason: new chapter

Content Emeritus

Default Re: Derc Plays Through World History (Current: Rome II - Rise of the Republic)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    There was one thing very special about this campaign: I never had to think about as who to play as. Cookiegod is a huge Dionysios nerd, so playing Syracuse was basically mandatory, making this the first dptwh to be shared beforehand with someone else. There was a greater plan behind it, of course. Cookiegod knows so much about the background of this campaign that I planned him in as some kind of co-author, sending him the entire draft of this AAR a short while ago, so that he can prepare to enlighten us with his wisdom. We had a little foretaste of that in the Napoleon Campaign.

This is a formless thing. Perhaps he will do it sometimes. Perhaps he will do it many times. Perhaps he will never do it at all.
    The Cookiegod works in mysterious ways that much is certain. Should prove very entertaining and dare I say educational (sorry school-going folks, didn't mean to trigger you). Never played RotR and know very little of this time period so this should be interesting.

After a crazy week, where the Republicans seem to go down and the face of tyranny changes, what better time than to start now?
    Ugh. Politics. Careful now. Delving to deep into such a toxic subject is dangerous to say the least. Luckily with a Tyrannos in charge we won't have much of that involved, no need for voting or any "DEMOCRATIC" nonsense, just a Tyrannos. What I would give for such simple times.

Let's embark on an odyssey and see where the waves will take the great tyrannos of Syracousai. The sails are set. The course: unknown.
    You don't say. Lead the way Old Tom!

Citizen

Noooo Dercysios how dare you play Syracuse without mercs?! That's the best part of them! It's much harder to oppress your people if your army is from them.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

I like playing as Greek colonies in the Grand Campaign and I look forward to seeing how your colony will get on in this earlier period.

It sounds like Syracuse has plenty of enemies, I wonder if you'll consolidate Sicily first, or if it's possible to take out Carthage before they become a bigger threat, or if you have a different plan in mind.

This seems promising indeed! And the idea of the Almighty Cookie sending us wisdom from on high is also intriguing. I expect burning bushes with long lessons about the lineages of kings, and swarms of locusts that form complex maps in the sky for us to learn from!

Also loved your comment about the face of tyranny changing. You are a man with his eye on things, and no doubt about it.

My only other thought was: "Why the van Gogh portrait?" Is there something I don't know that makes him Dionysian in character? Tell me Dercysios, tell me!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Campidoctor

Rome II
    Rise of the Republic

--------------------------
    (Click to view)

Dionysios. Beloved tyrant. Hated by many. Feared by most.
    He rules Syracuse with iron fist. A major city of Magna Graecia, and perhaps the most magnificient city in all of Italy.

Syracuse was once a colony. It has grown so much that it eventually could compete with Athens itself. Which it did, 15 years ago. And won.
    As a result, the Greek world has changed. The grip of Greece proper is not as palpable anymore. Now is the time for tyrants and kings. Or perhaps for a new Republic. Perhaps for an empire.

This guy is Dionysios? Sure? He totally looks like a certain dutch painter, one who had enough encounters with tyranny himself.
    Always knew it! Van Gogh was a reincarnation of Dionysios!

Dionysios is a friend of mercenaries. No wonder. Syracuse's own troops are weak.

However, something strange happened. Dionysius gave up his relations with the mercenaries overnight, prompting to put all ressources into building an own Syracusan army.

A dangerous move, as these mercenaries would then go and fight for Syracuse's enemies. How to stop that? By becoming the hegemon of all Sicily, of course! Carthage has the same goal.

The race was opened. Both Carthage and Syracuse set out to unite Sicily by the sword. The Syracusan fleet is strong enough to keep the Carthaginians away. For now.

The battles are great, both in terms of results and visuals.

The Peloponnesian War just ended a few years ago, devastating Greece and breaking Athenian hegemony. The land is entering a dangerous post-war period where established commons are toppled over, and everyone seeks his place in this new order.

📝 Authors Note
    Had a good laugh when I saw that icon with the modern Greek borders.

Some see their place in Sicily.

Dionysius may be a tyrant, but that does not mean to be reclusive. The opposite. Opportunities need to be taken. Everyone that may be of use is given the chance to prove it.

Interesting news from some weird people in distant lands.

The Carthaginians make process at the shores. The next step for them would be to take Agyrion. Dionysios snatches it before they can do so.

It seems that the mercy of the great Tyrannos has been abused.

Education could solve this. Despite all the war and many weird customs, the Greeks are still known to be great scholars. Dionysios himself is a well versed man, being an inventor and a huge fan of the arts.

The Carthaginians left northern Sicily to terrorize other shores. It seems they are only interested in raiding?

Sicily deserves something better, and Dionysios will ensure it, even if it needs to be by force.

One step closer. Two thirds of Sicily have already been enlightened.

Uniting Sicily is the ultimate goal. And perhaps only the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinos View Post
    The Cookiegod works in mysterious ways that much is certain. Should prove very entertaining and dare I say educational (sorry school-going folks, didn't mean to trigger you). Never played RotR and know very little of this time period so this should be interesting.
    Neither did I before having started RotR. Learned a lot from this campaign, Cookie's rambling, and also Skotos' AAR, Last Chariot of the Tarquins. Definitely a very interesting setting.

Ugh. Politics. Careful now. Delving to deep into such a toxic subject is dangerous to say the least.
    It was a necessary evil, and a too good coincidence to be ignored.

You don't say. Lead the way Old Tom!
    Congrats! You found the secret, self-deprecating message. See Alwyns comment about expansion directions.

Already learned the first thing. Now I know who old Tom Bombadil is. This has already totally been worth it. A coworker has him as avatar, and I always wondered who that funny looking gnome (don't punch me!) could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Devs Crvstvlvm View Post
    Noooo Dercysios how dare you play Syracuse without mercs?! That's the best part of them! It's much harder to oppress your people if your army is from them.
    Yes, that's exactly what was the goal. Mercenaries are just op in Rome II, especially when you can hire twice as much as Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwynos View Post
    I like playing as Greek colonies in the Grand Campaign and I look forward to seeing how your colony will get on in this earlier period.
    A good choice. I wanted to play Syracuse in the Grand Campaign first, but I already did a Pompey run and Rise of the Republic had already been anounced.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwynos View Post
    It sounds like Syracuse has plenty of enemies, I wonder if you'll consolidate Sicily first, or if it's possible to take out Carthage before they become a bigger threat, or if you have a different plan in mind.
    You need to take on Carthage one way or another. Can't let them grow strong on Sicily. The only question is if you keep up the pressure and go on to conquer Africa and the isles, or focus on Italy instead. Italy itself is just a strip to conquer along, similar to Japan. Not many directions to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilos MAGAs (sorry :P) View Post
    Also loved your comment about the face of tyranny changing. You are a man with his eye on things, and no doubt about it.
    Thanks. Eyes wide open. 👀

Quote Originally Posted by van Kilos View Post
    My only other thought was: "Why the van Gogh portrait?" Is there something I don't know that makes him Dionysian in character? Tell me Dercysios, tell me!
    TW's Dionysios totally looks like van Gogh. I couldn't stop laughing from the moment I saw it until the very end of the campaign.
    I could put a van Gogh in this chapter and you wouldn't notice. Would you? See previous comment.

Also, the whole campaign has such a strange, rustic, autumnal feeling to it. Many landscapes tinted in bright yellow. Some of the best shots I have ever taken so far are from this campaign.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    The Cookiegod works in mysterious ways that much is certain.
    I hardly ever work at all
    This seems promising indeed! And the idea of the Almighty Cookie sending us wisdom from on high is also intriguing. I expect burning bushes with long lessons about the lineages of kings, and swarms of locusts that form complex maps in the sky for us to learn from!
    Normally I speak through plagues, that's true, but off the goodness of my heart I have decided I have sent you enough plagues for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Ugh. Politics. Careful now. Delving to deep into such a toxic subject is dangerous to say the least. Luckily with a Tyrannos in charge we won't have much of that involved, no need for voting or any "DEMOCRATIC" nonsense, just a Tyrannos. What I would give for such simple times.
    Actually, Syracuse was pro forma a democracy. And like with all the other cities, the different classes had different interests. - Akin to the Populares vs Optimates in Caesars days. And the classes frequently exiled, fought and killed each other, as happened in other cities. Dionysios' mentor actually died in the streets during a failed coup attempt, and later on there were plenty of coup and assassination attempts against Diony-C-os as well. Similar can be said about the other cities he controlled. Just like Athens, Syracuse ruled by putting those people in power that it liked. It was sort of an informal rule, though no less real because of it. Anyway, Dionysios throughout his reign held and headed those agora meetings where he let people decide the stuff that he either knew were gonna go his way, didn't care that much about whilst winning sympathies by appearing reasonable and gracious, and decided the stuff he just wanted to push ahead with behind palace doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dercionysios
    This guy is Dionysios? Sure? He totally looks like a certain dutch painter, one who had enough encounters with tyranny himself.
    Always knew it! Van Gogh was a reincarnation of Dionysios!
    There's a cool, though probably fake story about it: Dionysios has won a war against Carthage, and rides into one of the formally very big Greek cities on the island that has recently been destroyed by the Cartheginians (Himera). As he holds his triumph, a distraught priestess of Hera recognises him from her dreams, and runs out on the street and yells whilst pointing at him before fainting and falling to the ground.
    Apparently she dreamt of a man, with flaming red hair, sitting next to Zeus in chains, and when asking who that was, she was told: "This is the scourge of Sicily and Italy, and if he's ever released, he'll destroy the lands."
    After 3 months she was no longer seen or heard of, presumably killed off by the tyrant.

That story is from not so kind historiographers after Dionysios' reign. And you can see from the context that they probably took a propaganda tale meant to portray Dionysios as the chosen one to save them all, and spun it into the negative.
    That, or, you know, even in those days people knew gingers were cursed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diony-C-ios
    Dionysios is a friend of mercenaries. No wonder. Syracuse's own troops are weak.
    Actually, native Sicilian tribesmen would have been mercenaries as well. Greeks weren't the first settlers of the island, and they mainly stayed in the coastal areas. The interior was populated by three native Sicilian tribes. The three tribes: Elymians, Sikelians, and Sikanians. If you check out the province names on the map you'll realise something. The tribes had chieftains and all that. Over time they became more and more Greek, and there was surprisingly little conflict between the two groups. They stayed in the hills on the inland, and the Greeks on the more fertile coastal areas.
    Portraying them as peasants like how CA is doing is perhaps a bit mean. The city that you attack first (Agyrion) was actually Sikel with a Sikel tyrant, and allied with Dionysios against the Carthaginians.

Quote Originally Posted by C
    *refugee stuff*
    Guess how Messene/Messini in Sicily got it's name? It was named Zancle, the tyrant of neighbouring Rhegion (now Reggio) wants to take it, encourages first refugees from Samos to take it from the Zancleans, then uses the chaos to take it himself, and settles it with a fresh, compliant batch of refugees from *drumroll* Messene. Admittedly that happened before Dionysios, but he did a lot of refugee stuff himself as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dercyrios
    TW's Dionysios totally looks like van Gogh. I couldn't stop laughing from the moment I saw it until the very end of the campaign.
    I could put a van Gogh in this chapter and you wouldn't notice. Would you? See previous comment.

Also, the whole campaign has such a strange, rustic, autumnal feeling to it. Many landscapes tinted in bright yellow. Some of the best shots I have ever taken so far are from this campaign.
    Indeed. I will be keeping an eye out for mad Dutch painters snuck into the campaign! And you are right, there is indeed something almost impressionist* about the setting. It is pretty, and does seem to be painted on in some sense. Who wouldda thought that Derc has an eye for beauty?!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was van Gogh even an impressionist? My knowledge of art extends to "Me likey" or "Eww. Modern art!". Actual knowledge, I have none

I love those hats the cavalrymen are wearing. They look like Colombian Caballeros. Seriously, I keep expecting Símon Bolivar to jump into the fray to lift the yoke of Spanish oppression!

Dercyrios, be careful of those Nuragic peoples! They couldn't be easily defeated by either Carthage or Rome. Keep a wary eye on those nutty hill-folk!

@Cookyious: Interesting stuff. It is good to know that the ancient Greeks were already wise to the dangers of gingers! They are indeed a scourge of society.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tom View Post
    📝 Authors Note
    Had a good laugh when I saw that icon with the modern Greek borders.
    Ρεε!

It was a necessary evil, and a too good coincidence to be ignored.
    Refugees, tyrants and empire building. Are you sure this a campaign about the past?

Congrats! You found the secret, self-deprecating message.
    YES! *pumps fists*

Already learned the first thing. Now I know who old Tom Bombadil is. This has already totally been worth it. A coworker has him as avatar, and I always wondered who that funny looking gnome (don't punch me!) could be.
    For all we know he could be a gnome. If anything Tom is everything.

Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!
    Ring a dong! hop along! Fal lal the willow!
    Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!

I'll be waiting for you in the POTW then. (If that one screenshot of the battle is to say anything we're in for a great ride).

Quote Originally Posted by Cookieos View Post
    Actually, Syracuse was pro forma a democracy. And like with all the other cities, the different classes had different interests. - Akin to the Populares vs Optimates in Caesars days. And the classes frequently exiled, fought and killed each other, as happened in other cities. Dionysios' mentor actually died in the streets during a failed coup attempt, and later on there were plenty of coup and assassination attempts against Diony-C-os as well. Similar can be said about the other cities he controlled. Just like Athens, Syracuse ruled by putting those people in power that it liked. It was sort of an informal rule, though no less real because of it. Anyway, Dionysios throughout his reign held and headed those agora meetings where he let people decide the stuff that he either knew were gonna go his way, didn't care that much about whilst winning sympathies by appearing reasonable and gracious, and decided the stuff he just wanted to push ahead with behind palace doors.
    X (insert any country here) is pro forma a democracy. So Dionysios was a clever boy who knew how to rule. Keep the masses happy and make them think they have any agency in the ruling of their state. Where have I seen that before. It's very familiar.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Haha. So first you pick the Rome 2 campaign I'm using for my AAR (though a different faction,) and now you pick one of the few campaigns I've actually finished. Great minds think alike, or so they say...

I had a blast with Syracuse in Rise of the Republic, so this should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
     House Rules & Special Goals
    • Severed Ties: No mercenaries

No mercenaries? But that's one of the best parts of playing Syracuse!

In all seriousness, that should make for an interesting challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    ⭐ What makes this Campaign special (in my opinion)
    • Most zoomed in map of Rome II. Italy has never been that detailed in any TW
    • First of two DLCs long after Rome II's natural lifecycle had ended
    • Special actions for every playable faction
    • One of the earliest eras in TW
    • Dionysios!

Going to have to stop you there Derc and put my fact checker hat on for a second. Rise of the Republic was the third of three DLCs releases long after Rome II's natural lifecycle had ended. Empire Divided came first in November 2017, Desert Kingdoms arrived March 2018 and Rise of the Republic was the last of the three in August 2018.

So Rise of the Republic was the earliest set, but the latest released. Or as the saying goes, at the end return to the beginning.

Taking the hat back off, I'm glad to see you doing another one of these Derc and look forward to following Dionysius's attempts to Make Syracuse Great Again!

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    P.S. Never noticed the Van Gogh connection in my entire playthrough.

Campidoctor

Rome II
    Rise of the Republic

(Click to view)

The true backbone of Syracuse is its fleet. It protected against the Athenians, it protects against the Carthaginians, and it will protect against anyone who will try to take Sicily in the future.
    Therefore it is important to invest a lot in the fleet.

The Peloponnesian War is over, but the rivalry of the Poleis is not. They all face different kind of problems, and Syracuse needs to be careful whom to support.
    For the time being it helps Sparta. Syracusan silos are full, thanks to Sicily's magnificient fertility.

Carthage is having some problems. Perhaps now is the time to throw them out.

Selinunte was once a sprawling city, one of the most influental ones in Sicily. Carthage destroyed it. Now it is a ruin. Let that be a warning to everyone.

Time to bring some vengeance to the Carthaginians.

Oh no, that does not work out as planned!
    The Carthaginian are well known for fielding many skilled mercenaries. This situation has only grown worse since Dionysios started to reform the military system. Syracusan troops are weak, and get a good whopping by Carthage.

Even though it was a bitter defeat, and western Sicily was lost again, Dionysios' influence is unbroken. In fact, it has never been stronger. Let's welcome the cold grip of tyranny!

More refugees from Greece proper arrive. Dionysios gives them one more chance, getting disappointed again.
    Enough. These recent events have changed something in the young, vibrant tyrant.

Also being a father of a daughter now is just one more task out of many others.

Dionysios plays the diplomacy game. With cunning words he gets Akragas to join the war, convincing them to destroy the Carthaginian army at Entella.

He also convinces Akragas not to rest until Carthage is completely gone from the island. Motya is their central hub on Sicily. A joint invasion is decided.

It's a bit too much for Carthage. Overwhelmed by the massive forces, most of the poor souls fled as soon as they saw them, leaving Dionysios a great city with almost no damage.

This chapter was proof just how mighty shrewd diplomacy can be. Carthage is gone from Sicily. Dionysios had to sacrifice hegemony over the island for that, ensuring Akragas an equal place on the island. But Dionysius would not be Dionysius if he did not have a plan B for that.

The play of words does not help against the Carthaginians. The swear to retake the island, and the waves are still insecure. It seems the Syracusan fleet will be busy in the next couple of years.

After the battles in Sicily, Dionysios has greater plans. Much greater ones.

Why Sicily, when you can reign supreme over the whole of Magna Graecia? Dionysios does not rest. He is young, dynamic, and ambitious. Lazy men gain nothing. Makers shape the world.

A full scale invasion is launched on Rhegion by land and by sea.

The first great success along Italy's shores. A great journey has begun.

It seems the other side of Italy is quite busy too.

Dionysios' journey is immediately stopped again. He planned to unite Sicily by inciting unrest along Akragas borders. This action has taken on a dangerous dynamic of its own, and did so way too fast.

Dionysios and his men turn around, back to Sicily, giving the enemy in Italy time to reassemble. The Tyrannos played his game, and not all actions have worked out perfectly. That's life. He loves the extra challenge.

Oh my, these are a lot of comments. I am astounded. Thanks for all your input, people. The comments section has grown as big as a proper chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiedeos View Post
    I hardly ever work at all
    Classic Cookie. Pulling an all-nighter before, delivering a wall of text the next morning, one part of it being about insulting himself.

*History stuff about Dionysios' hair*
    Your text perfectly showed what the work of archeologists is like. Digging through lots of weird fantasy stuff and politicial propaganda to get some actual information. IF this information itself isn't fake in the first place. I mean... I wonder how Dionysios could've been red haired. Not a very Greek thing. Perhaps he had some ancestors from the native tribes?

*History stuff about Sicilian natives*
    It seems the situation of the native tribes in Sicily was similar to some tribes in Gaul, or many tribes around the world in general. Not all were opposed to assimilation, for various reasons. Some say "yay!", others say "nay!". Some have the choice, others don't. Once again an ideal mirror to today's issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilos11 View Post
    Indeed. I will be keeping an eye out for mad Dutch painters snuck into the campaign! And you are right, there is indeed something almost impressionist* about the setting. It is pretty, and does seem to be painted on in some sense. Who wouldda thought that Derc has an eye for beauty?!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was van Gogh even an impressionist? My knowledge of art extends to "Me likey" or "Eww. Modern art!". Actual knowledge, I have none
    What was modern then is a classic now, and so on. Just like everyone else, Van Gogh played around with various styles. His works are often categorized as being post-impressionist. I like that style very much. Once again, some say A while others say B.

I love those hats the cavalrymen are wearing. They look like Colombian Caballeros. Seriously, I keep expecting SĂ*mon Bolivar to jump into the fray to lift the yoke of Spanish oppression!
    Was thinking the same thing. It seems we learned that human history has always been about ing people over. And funny hats. Including Trump's wig.
    Guess we know how to solve the aggressive nature of humanity now. Need to get rid of those hats!

I would totally love to see a TW set in South America one day. This continent has so much interesting history, it's a shame it hasn't been covered yet.

It is good to know that the ancient Greeks were already wise to the dangers of gingers! They are indeed a scourge of society.
    My boss is a ginger.

Refugees, tyrants and empire building. Are you sure this a campaign about the past?
    Just human things. It will repeat as long as humanity exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinios View Post
    Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!
    Ring a dong! hop along! Fal lal the willow!
    Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!
    Oh man, I checked that out on Youtube. Good song. I need to hear that again when drunk.

I'll be waiting for you in the POTW then. (If that one screenshot of the battle is to say anything we're in for a great ride).
    I am more of a NSFW UESW guy. If I want to see pretty, photoshopped stuff, I head over to Instagram.
    Kidding. Posted an awesome battle in POTW.

Where have I seen that before. It's very familiar.
    Classic politics. You can go back in time as far as you want. It has always been like this. Even animals do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragos Welshios View Post
    Great minds think alike, or so they say...
    Nice coincidence. Or perhaps destiny.

No mercenaries? But that's one of the best parts of playing Syracuse!
    In all seriousness, that should make for an interesting challenge.
    I missed them too, especially in the beginning. It felt wrong many times. Cookie's protest and a good beating from Carthage made me rethink for a for a short time. But nah, it was awesome. Rome II felt so much better, at least at the beginning.

[...] Empire Divided came first in November 2017, Desert Kingdoms arrived March 2018 and Rise of the Republic was the last of the three in August 2018. [...]
    What the hell? Seriously? I have fallen victim to the Mandela effect.
    I'll go and fix that.
    Desert Kingdoms and other 'Culture Packs' are a thing I really hate about Rome II, and ignore mostly. They are a ripoff. So I only had campaign DLCs in mind.

Taking the hat back off, I'm glad to see you doing another one of these Derc and look forward to following Dionysius's attempts to Make Syracuse Great Again!
    Oh my god, thanks for reminding me of that achievement. Totally forgot about it, but it seems my subconsciousness did its part.

Your expansion is impressive and it was a funny moment when you showed the overwhelmed Carthaginians fleeing. I look forward to seeing how you'll deal with the challenge of internal and external threats.