Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tech News

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tech News

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Personally I've always found GPU's make far more of an impact on my FPS than a CPU nowadays. For example moving from a 3770k to an 8086k did almost nothing for my FPS in AC Origins, despite it being somewhat of a CPU intensive game.
    For more intensive games a stronger GPU is certainly key, but for my varied purposes, a stronger CPU tends to do better, particularly in single core. Kinda helps me compensate for an inability to blow out hundreds of bucks on any particular component, graphics cards especially.

Butbut the Cpu is criminally expensive as well these days.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

That 9900k price is basically making me want to move toward AMD as well for any future purchases. I didn't mind blowing out money on a 1080ti either but then the 20XX series came along (which I skipped of course) with that absurd price point and the later"Super" cards. Looks like I won't be buying from nvidia either anymore.

Lets hope intel will give us a good show in 2020 with their new graphics cards?
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Radeon 6500XT has been launched: apparently a repurposed laptop component to somehow cater to the low end segment.

Only for the desperate.

At the moment, a hundred bux separates 5600G and 5700G, plus two cores and an extra graphic unit.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

6500XT is trash and AMD is getting a lot of heat over it. It's hilarious!

Actually, I kinda suspect that the sixty five hundred ecks tee is going to be around a lot longer, especially if the thirty five hundred fifty turns out to be a paper launch.

Cryptocurrencies seem to have hit turbulence, though I suspect they may mostly relocate to Texas for that ensured low electrical rate and assured supply, so street prices of graphic cards may come down.

Four thousand series expected end September, seven thousand sometime between the end of this year and the beginning of the next.

1. There's a chance that graphic card prices might fall by April.

2. Speaking of which, Ryzen Four might get introduced then as well, which would explain any sales of computer chips you you might see between now and then.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 18, 2022 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Clean-up

Yup yup. Already 100$ slashed on many cards. Think RTX 4000 is launching in Sept and that time Eth 2.0 proof of stake will finally happen and this will all gradually fading away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Yup yup. Already 100$ slashed on many cards. Think RTX 4000 is launching in Sept and that time Eth 2.0 proof of stake will finally happen and this will all gradually fading away.
    The cards are still well over MSRP.

Oh yes no doubt. But it's calming down now and GPUs are lastly on shelves now. The price hike will drag on further because they are also trying to maintain an artificial shortage to keep the price high.

This is dependent on factors other than just simple supply.

On one hand, the big three are supposedly about to release their stockpiles of new discrete graphic cards.

On the other hand, a lot of materials used in the manufacture of electronics are in war zones.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 18, 2022 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Clean-up

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Hey, guys!
    I'm planning to update the Tech Thread and post various interesting news ASAP!
    Cheers!

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I've been meaning to try and update this section, good to hear
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Quote Originally Posted by Dismounted Feudal Knight View Post
    I've been meaning to try and update this section, good to hear
    Well, I have a huge Tech backlog waiting for editing, it will take some time though, because after 2 yrs I'll have to catch up with many things. But hopefully I'll manage

Reportedly, graphic card prices still dropping.

In theory, would wait for the current generation to hit seventy five percent of recommended retail price.

In practice, who knows whether this will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    Reportedly, graphic card prices still dropping.

In theory, would wait for the current generation to hit seventy five percent of recommended retail price.

In practice, who knows whether this will continue.
    I wouldn't wait for too long though and I surely won't advice you to wait till 4X series come out.

I figured that Christmas Twenty Twenty Two was about as low as the second hand market (for the higher end) would go, so that December I tasked my brother to get one for me.

Thirty Eighty Tie was offered for around five hundred bux, and the Tieless for about a hundred less; events have proven me correct for getting the twelve gigabyted memory, being now the minimum you should expect for playing upper tier games.

Oh, and it just got delivered to me and has been installed; the trusty Ten Eighty it's replaced now going to my brother's place, so that I can play games there, if I'm so inclined.

Indications are that both Advanced and Intel graphicized computer chips will have about Sixteen Sixty performance at the higher end, so that's about it for ten eighty pee, and the economy laptops will now be able to keep up.

Ryzen Fifty Six Hundred Gee still best bang for buck, at around one hundred twenty plus bux.

Wouldn't bother buying any discrete graphic card under twelve gigabytes of memory, and even without my current upgrade, probably would have skipped any computer purchase this year, barring Black Friday.

And storage.

Though likely will scrap up enough cash for a new Seasonic eight hundred fifty watt power unit, just to be safe, since the ones in storage and use are quite elderly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123