Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tech News

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; January 10, 2019 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Content.

Default Re: Tech News

Seems like AMD could be bottlenecking the 2080TI. The frame differences on metro are pretty big.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; October 23, 2018 at 02:44 AM.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

I'd say these results come as expected. AMD holds up well with the 2080, but with the higher of performance the 2080ti it enables the i7 to pull further ahead. I also expect the results to grow further apart when the processors are overclocked, as the Ryzen 2700x can't really be clocked much higher compared to the i7 8700k. Nonetheless, realistically with any of these cards you wouldn't play on 1080p, so the 2k/4k results are more realistic, which we again can drag card limitations in. And with the results being so close on the higher resolutions, it might be better to get the cpu that can do more in other aspects. (2700x)
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; October 23, 2018 at 02:44 AM.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Seems like AMD could be bottlenecking the 2080TI. The frame differences on metro are pretty big.
    Yep, many tech forums are already talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    I'd say these results come as expected. AMD holds up well with the 2080, but with the higher of performance the 2080ti it enables the i7 to pull further ahead. I also expect the results to grow further apart when the processors are overclocked, as the Ryzen 2700x can't really be clocked much higher compared to the i7 8700k. Nonetheless, realistically with any of these cards you wouldn't play on 1080p, so the 2k/4k results are more realistic, which we again can drag card limitations in. And with the results being so close on the higher resolutions, it might be better to get the cpu that can do more in other aspects. (2700x)
    Agreed, it really depends on your usage though (gaming-media-all around). Recent reviews suggesting that (as you said) with increased OC the FPS difference will be increased significantly and that's something gamers should take into consideration. I don't expect anyone using with these GPUs and CPUs on1080p, that would be idiotic. I'll probably have 2 new systems amd-ati, intel-nvidia based, for testing (benches and OC performance) coming next month. So we could check the numbers in detail. I'm especially interested in core to core differences, since I have seen drops in people's builts going from intel-nvidia to amd-nvidia.

Intel Announces 9th Generation Core CPUs, Eight-Core Core i9-9900K
    Intel's 9th Gen Core Gaming Benchmarks Flawed and Misleading

Feel free to check the articles and share your thoughts.

The Windows 10 October update is deleting files, according to complaints (Updated)

Backup. Better be safe than sorry
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; October 23, 2018 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I am using SyncBack for automated backups (mirrors) of my working files to an external drive. Doing this manually before a major update and then temporarily disconnecting the external drive is standard procedure - together with a monthly system mirror it has saved a lot of tears and nervous break downs.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; October 23, 2018 at 02:46 AM.

Yeah an absolute must. Especially when you're using your rig for work. Plus an update for the specific issue:

Microsoft thinks it fixed the file deletion bug in the October update for Windows 10.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; October 23, 2018 at 02:47 AM.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

It is fixed? So the complaints were substantiated and the OS was really deleting user's files? Amazing. Delete my documents, fill my pc with hidden apps and propaganda and take my money, Windows.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; October 23, 2018 at 02:47 AM.

This simply highlights, yet again, the issue with tech journalism these days. While the main outlets are generally "reliable", one can never be sure when the owners will sell out for cash, especially if they think they can get away with it. I feel even worse for generally "legitimate" sources like TPU and Anand because I can't 100% trust them either due to scandals that occur every few years in this area of journalism. Quite frankly, Intel is simply pathetic. It's not enough for them to dominate the market. They are so greedy, that at the slightest inkling of competitiveness from AMD, they resort to shady tactics. How insecure can the company management be? They have magnitudes more resources than AMD, not to mention their own Fabs, which I imagine, drastically reduce manufacturing costs for them and give them unprecedented control over the manufacturing process.

I'm sure the 9th generation of the processors will be great and competitive with AMD's. Unfortunately, they marred the release with a short-sighted attempt to justify aggressive marketing.

Here's Anandtech on Intel, probably the only source I fully trust.

There’s no way around it, in almost every scenario it was either top or within variance of being the best processor in every test (except Ashes at 4K). Intel has built the world’s best gaming processor (again).On our CPU tests, the i9-9900K hit a lot of the synthetics higher than any other mainstream processor. In some of our real world tests, such as application loading or web performance, it lost out from time to time to the i7 and i5 due to having hyper-threading, as those tests tend to prefer threads that have access to the full core resources. For memory limited tests, the high-end desktop platforms provide a better alternative.
    While there’s no specific innovation in the processors driving the performance, Intel re-checked the box for STIM, last used on the mainstream in Sandy Bridge. The STIM implementation has enabled Intel to push the frequency of these parts. It was always one of the tools the company had in its back pocket, and many will speculate as to the reasons why it used that tool at this point in time.
    But overall, due to the frequency push and the core push, the three new 9th Generation processors sit at the top of most of our mixed workload tests, given the high natural frequency, and set a new standard in Intel’s portfolio for being a jack of all trades. If a user has a variable workload, and wants to squeeze performance, then these new processors will should get you there.
    So now, if you are the money-no-object kind of gamer, this is the processor for you. But it’s not a processor for everyone, and that comes down to cost and competition.
    At $488 SEP, plus a bit more for 'on-shelf price', plus add $80-$120 for a decent cooler or $200 for a custom loop, it’s going to be out of the range for almost all builds south of $1500 where GPU matters the most. When Intel’s own i5-9600K is under half the cost with only two fewer cores, or AMD’s R7 2700X is very competitive in almost every test, while they might not be the best, they’re more cost-effective.
    The outlandish flash of the cash goes on the Core i9-9900K. The smart money ends up on the 9700K, 9600K, or the 2700X. For the select few, money is no object. For the rest of us, especially when gaming at 1440p and higher settings where the GPU is the bigger bottleneck, there are plenty of processors that do just fine, and are a bit lighter on the power bill in the process.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

CNBC

Third-quarter revenue represents a 4 percent upside from the year-ago period. But the company is guiding toward weaker revenue for the remainder of the year, weighed down by lower sales.AMD is projecting fourth-quarter revenue of $1.45 billion, below consensus estimates of $1.6 billion.
    "We delivered our fifth straight quarter of year-over-year revenue and net income growth driven largely by the accelerated adoption of our Ryzen, EPYC and datacenter graphics products," CEO Lisa Su said in the company's earnings release. "Client and server processor sales increased significantly although graphics channel sales were lower in the quarter."
    Revenue from the company's computing and graphics segment rang in at $938 million, down 14 percent from the previous quarter.
    Stock is down 25%
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; December 29, 2018 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Threads merged and from now on this thread will serve as Tech News and General Info.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; January 07, 2019 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

2060 Review is out.

Like the RTX 2070, the RTX 2060 (6GB) is less suited as an option for most high-end GTX 10 series owners, and with 6GB VRAM as it’s a little less tempting than it could be as a move up from the GTX 1060 6GB or GTX 980 Ti. The card offers known performance along the lines of the GTX 1070 Ti and at very similar power consumption, but brings better value than existing higher-end RTX 20 series models. And this time, there’s less of a spoiler effect from older Pascal models.

Compared to previous generations, it’s not breaking the price-to-performance curve, as it is still an RTX card and pulling double-duty as the new entry-point for RTX platform support. That being said, there is no mincing words about the continuing price creep of the past two GeForce series. The price-to-performance characteristics of the RTX 2070, 2080, and 2080 Ti is what renders the RTX 2060 (6GB) a better value in comparison, and not necessarily because it is great value in absolute terms. But as an upgrade from older mainstream cards, the RTX 2060 (6GB) price point is a lot more reasonable than the RTX 2070’s $500+, where there more of the price premium is from forward-looking hardware-accelerated features like realtime raytracing.

So the RTX 2060 (6GB) would be the most suitable for gamers that aren’t gung-ho early adopters or longtime enthusiasts. The caveat is on the 6GB framebuffer, keeping in mind that the 4GB GTX 980 and 970 now punch below their weight in certain games, given the trends of HDR, HD texture packs, high-refresh rates, and more. Beyond that, the RTX 2060 (6GB) and RTX 2070 comes with a choice of Anthem or Battlefield V, as part of the new bundle. For a prospective buyer, this might not justify $500 but might outweigh $350, especially as realtime raytracing can be immediately tried out with Battlefield V. In the same way, upcoming support for adaptive sync could do the same for those looking to upgrade to a monitor with variable refresh rate.
    Not going to lie, a little bit disappointed with the extortionate pricing these days. AMD needs to hurry up and give us good competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    2060 Review is out.
    Not going to lie, a little bit disappointed with the extortionate pricing these days. AMD needs to hurry up and give us good competition.
    Thanks for the link buddy, I'll add it

Well, prices for 2080-ti are high indeed. For 2070 not that high though. I bought a 1070 for my sister's pc around 550$ last year (standard price tag here). If you compare it with AMD's equivalent models, yes ofc they are high.
    But for only 350$ I think (2060) will be a big seller for the above medium range pcs. Also as we can see from the most recent reviews ,it's the most affordable choice if you're interesting in RTX. I'm not, so I'm keeping my 1080ti, but many of my friends have already bought the 2070 one and some of them waiting for the 2060 version. As soon as I have personal experience with them I'll have a more comprehensive opinion. I really hope AMD could fight back. But after the vega toasters fiasco and 3-4 refresh-rebrand releases I'm not that confident. Let's hope they'll bring competition to the 2060-2070 range at least. Since above that, NVIDIA usually plays without much competition. I'm very much interested to 7nm though, as much as anybody. Especially when thinking the heat and power consumption issues Vega series have

In other news.

OP UPDATED:

Latest AMD-ATI News:
    Hands on with the AMD Radeon VII.
    AMD's CEO Lisa Su confirms ray tracing GPU development, hints at more 3rd-gen Ryzen cores
    It's AMD's 50th anniversary and first CES keynote this year, and well, it brought the big guns. Meet Radeon VII and 3rd-gen Ryzen.

Latest INTEL-NVDIA News:

Intel's Optane Memory H10 marries super-fast Optane and SSD storage on one M.2 card.

Intel's 10nm process is late, but it's coming this year in at least four products.
    Intel releases new 9th Gen processors without integrated graphics.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; January 10, 2019 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Content.

Nekro_TWH's Avatar Foederatus

Guys i want your (international ) opinion fro the 20XX "RTX" cards.

Many guys in Greece are whining because
    nvdia release a "refresh" cards with nothing to add but a raytraceing feature which cut in half the fps and the non rtx performnace is sligthy better than the previous gen
    My points:
    1. 20XX series are not refresh because not only they add some background features but a major new feature
    2. With no equal or close competition it is obvious that nvidia will not step up to main performance increase or price drops (just like Intel had to do with the RYZEN release)
    3.For a new technology which promises major graphics improvements (we will se how much) it is also obvious that performance will be bad
    4.Nvidia maybe couldn't or didn't want to invest in a release of a new series with better raw performance with nothing new so they choose the second
    5. I personally maybe never use this feature or get any card above XX60 or XX70 card so i do not care for raytracing or 4k perfomance and my advice is if someone do not want raytracing then stay in your current 10XX card if you have one or get a better 10XX now that the fanboys are getting the XX series
    So whats your opinion?

z3n's Avatar State of Mind

Did you put news about Intels new graphics cards coming in 2020?
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Did you put news about Intels new graphics cards coming in 2020?
    Pending

At least they won't be a refresh!
    Can you imagine INTEL gpus that will be better than AMD equivalent gpus of the range gtx1666/rtx2050/rtx2456ti/whateverNVIDIAchooseforname?

Quote Originally Posted by Nekro_TWH View Post
    At least they won't be a refresh!
    Can you imagine INTEL gpus that will be better than AMD equivalent gpus of the range gtx1666/rtx2050/rtx2456ti/whateverNVIDIAchooseforname?
    I'm quite eager to see INTEL'S implementations. They have already acquired TOP Tech guys working for them.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    I'm quite eager to see INTEL'S implementations. They have already acquired TOP Tech guys working for them.
    And they have bigger budget for r&d investment! Nevertheless another gopu maker we will do a good thing on capitalism i mean competition

Quote Originally Posted by Nekro_TWH View Post
    And they have bigger budget for r&d investment! Nevertheless another gopu maker we will do a good thing on capitalism i mean competition
    Competition is the foundation of capitalism. Healthy or not

Those are "good" news. At least for us who want to grab a used 1060
    https://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1660...ng-next-month/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast