Wow, looks like the next time I feel the urge to buy a CPU I will get Ryzen

https://segmentnext.com/articles/amd...-3rd-gen-cpus/
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Default Re: Tech News

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Wow, looks like the next time I feel the urge to buy a CPU I will get Ryzen

https://segmentnext.com/articles/amd...-3rd-gen-cpus/
    Yeah Intel's Comet market share might be in serious trouble if the rumours are true.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Let's hope the Ryzen 3 series will be great, so gamers could grab the latest Intel's gaming chip, a bit cheaper

PS
    Thanks for posting here guys! I'll get back to Tech threads, as soon as I finish my latest interview for Content
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 18, 2019 at 12:44 PM.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Does anyone here have an RTX2080? I played on RTX's lately and I feel as if modern games aren't handling that power too well, for the moment.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Does anyone here have an RTX2080? I played on RTX's lately and I feel as if modern games aren't handling that power too well, for the moment.
    Yeap, for the moment it's performance isn't that great, but ray tracing is a new Tech, so we should give it more time, for updates and perfomance patches etc.
    A 1080ti is a much better choice atm

Ray Tracing is a marketing bull that Nvidia is known to do every time they want to boost their sales and want to remain dominating in the market. Sure the featured tech is amazing in demos and benchmarks but what about actual gaming? Yeah it s the hardware in realtime gaming.

-Earlier it was "Physx", now it's just a joke & majority of the devs don't even use it. Hell last major title that was Witcher 3 puts the Physx load on CPU by default instead since modern day CPUs are far better in physics calculations.
    -Then came Hairworks, again few titles included them and it still hasn't been adopted on a widespread scale amongst game developers. FC4, TW3, COD and AMD's TressFX in Tomb Raider. And then that's it.

So Ray Tracing is no different and won't be predominant for a long time, if ever. Nvidia just likes to come up with demanding features & then pay ("fund") developers to include them to lure gamers in buying their tech. Devs go with their stuff because no one is going to deny a generous fund to support their costs and get free advertising with it. But the real deal-breaker here is the pricing and performance ratio, RTX is bloody ridiculous. And the funny thing is that even with RTX2080 you can't play BF at ultimate settings on 1080p lol.
    Last edited by Ishan; March 20, 2019 at 04:39 AM.

Well, that's one way to see it and I partially agree with you. It's demanding as hell and still early to fully enjoy or implement, but that's the same for every new tech. If it wasn't that good and futureproof, then ATI wouldn't adopt it and last time I checked ATI's CEO said they'll surely use it and support it with their cards because it's an important feature. I agree that hairwroks was badly designed and written. PhysX is another story though and I blame Devs for its failure, not NVIDIA.

Anyway RT is still quite expensive and not performance friendly, that's why I kept my 1080ti. But let's not exaggerate things that much, time will tell, I guess...
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 20, 2019 at 11:02 AM.

I think you misunderstood me, my criticism is towards the current RTX cards not the tech. I'm not exaggerating, there are no AAA games that employ ray tracing as their primary rendering method. A complete modern ray traced game in real-time is still some way off from reality. Current ray tracing games only include some features and we know how much demanding they're right now. Ray tracing an entire game in real time is not possible at the moment and in fact current game engines are not designed for that.

The current goal right now of DTX (RTX + Microsoft) is to provide ray tracing in certain areas\scenarios where our traditional rasterization does poorly and where ray tracing can offer better visuals with less performance cost in comparison - it's still not an overhaul. So, right now it's just a hype train as Nvidia wants to push for sales as they took a massive -73% hit in profits. Anyways, we're certainly going in the right direction but it will take time to develop on the gaming end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    I think you misunderstood me, my criticism is towards the current RTX cards not the tech. I'm not exaggerating, there are no AAA games that employ ray tracing as their primary rendering method. A complete modern ray traced game in real-time is still some way off from reality. Current ray tracing games only include some features and we know how much demanding they're right now. Ray tracing an entire game in real time is not possible at the moment and in fact current game engines are not designed for that.

The current goal right now of DTX (RTX + Microsoft) is to provide ray tracing in certain areas\scenarios where our traditional rasterization does poorly and where ray tracing can offer better visuals with less performance cost in comparison - it's still not an overhaul. So, right now it's just a hype train as Nvidia wants to push for sales as they took a massive -73% hit in profits. Anyways, we're certainly going in the right direction but it will take time to develop on the gaming end.
    Oh I see...Sure, I agree with that approach
    The little samples we have seen so far are certainly promising, but its overall development is indeed very slow. I also believe NVIDIA jumped the gun with Ray Tracing, too soon.

Btw have you seen NVIDIA's latest trick to get rid of the remaining GTX models ?

Pascal GeForce GTX cards could get ray tracing with driver update

All new technology is problematic. I remember how annoying Crossfire and SLI setups were even during Fermi and AMD's Evergreen family. Speaking of which. Eyefinity was actually a very clean launch. Eyefinity 6 Screen edition was a nightmare to navigate though.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Btw have you seen NVIDIA's latest trick to get rid of the remaining GTX models ?

Pascal GeForce GTX cards could get ray tracing with driver update
    Yeah smart move haha. Mining cryptocurrency has really ed up the hardware market in this way. 10xx series will remain relevant and dominant until RTX gen2 pop up.

Any news on the latest updates to Windows 10?

Don't know anything about that, but the latest AMD CPUs and GPU are great.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Aye, I was impressed. Intel is a tiny bit better in gaming tasks still but not by much and for absolutely everything else that matters AMD is head and shoulders better.

The only reason intel is better in gaming is due to DirectX (instead of vulkan) being used in games and the lack of support for multithreading and core usage by the devs. I don't blame game devs for it, multithreading is very hard to do properly without bugs.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

AMD is better bang for buck in general IMO and I don't think the slight edge in gaming that Intel is offering is at all worth it. Just for the sake of future proofing, I'd take an AMD mobo and CPU. Of course, I'm not really going to be buying anything, anytime soon. Still rocking an i7-4790K. Maybe in 2020 I'll rebuild my PC.

Moderator Emeritus

I do agree with that, if I were interested in buying a new CPU it would definitely be AMD, one of the key reasons being that they make sure their CPU's are generally backwards compatible with older motherboards.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I'm on the low end of gaming, thus the Intel edge is necessary until such a time I can pick up an AMD that provides equal true single core power and software support for the mediocre budget I have available.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    AMD is better bang for buck in general IMO and I don't think the slight edge in gaming that Intel is offering is at all worth it. Just for the sake of future proofing, I'd take an AMD mobo and CPU. Of course, I'm not really going to be buying anything, anytime soon. Still rocking an i7-4790K. Maybe in 2020 I'll rebuild my PC.
    I'm sitting on a non-k myself. If I had the money to upgrade I'd most likely get a Ryzen 5 3600
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    I'm on the low end of gaming, thus the Intel edge is necessary until such a time I can pick up an AMD that provides equal true single core power and software support for the mediocre budget I have available.
    Personally I've always found GPU's make far more of an impact on my FPS than a CPU nowadays. For example moving from a 3770k to an 8086k did almost nothing for my FPS in AC Origins, despite it being somewhat of a CPU intensive game.

Older games may be affected ever so slightly but I doubt the difference is very significant since only the most expensive CPU's e.g. i5's i7's / i9s have enough overclocking power and ability to really affect things and that's discounting improvements in the CPU architecture that newer models have.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast