Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New DLC announced

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: New DLC announced

I looked at yesterday map several minutes, failing to spot the new island and wondering what you were speaking about. In today map, they help with the big pink spot...

I'm getting old...

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

He sounds OP as all hell, more so than other vampires.

With Saltspire on Sartosa probably next all that remains is to guess the name and location of the last LL. My guess is that island in the Pirate Coast of Araby sea region for the starting region, the lord is a mystery.

He has a perfect start position, literally in the middle of the map. Dude is also so deep in the ocean, that people trying to attack his base will take a lot of attrition. I might start with him first!

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Third one is: Aranessa Saltspine

Queen of the Tides, Aranessa Saltspite is one of the most respected and feared pirate captains of Sartosa. Some say she is the daughter of the sea god Manann himself and he whispers to her to take control of all the world’s oceans. Now, many a sea-bloated corpse washes up against the Swordfysh’s hull, and so the Vampire first mates breathe unlife into them, creating a vast rabble of loyal crew, ready to serve at Captain Saltspite’s command. As part of the living realm rather than the undead, she commands a human pirate crew known as the Sartosa Free Company, otherwise reluctantly sharing control of the denizens of the Vampire Coast.

FACTION EFFECTS

Aranessa Saltspite’s ruthlessness earns her additional income from raiding and sacking settlements as well as increasing her chance of finding treasure maps.
    LORD EFFECTS

Aranessa Saltspite’s inspiring presence and aura of leadership increases the weapon strength and melee attack of her Sartosa Free Company units.
    MOUNT: ROTTING PROMETHEAN

There are few sights as terrifying as Aranessa Saltspite riding into battle on a giant, rotting crustacean.
    UNIQUE WEAPON: KRAKEN’S BANE

As its name suggests, Kraken’s Bane bestows Aranessa Saltspite with an aura that increases the melee attack of friendly units as well as giving them a bonus when facing large foes.

UNIQUE SKILLS

MUTANT

Aranessa Saltspite may not be undead but she is far from human, the inherent resilience of her warped form increasing her hit points and making her immune to fatigue.

SAWFISH PEG-LEG

Aranessa Saltspite’s legs take the form of wickedly serrated swordfish bills, increasing her armour and weapon strength.

CREATURES OF MANANN

Aranessa Saltspite’s keen knowledge of Rotting Prometheans and Rotting Leviathans allows her to reduce their upkeep and improve their missile resistance – it is clear why some believe her to be the daughter of the sea god Manann.

GIFTED SAILOR

Aranessa Saltspite’s mastery of the waves brings many benefits, increasing the leadership of her Sartosa Free Company units as well as increasing her army’s movement and replenishment rates.

SELF-TAUGHT GUNNER

Aranessa Saltspite’s formidable gunnery skills increase the ammunition of Carronades, Mortars, and Queen Bess when part of her army.

YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE

Aranessa Saltspite’s reputation as one of Sartosa’s most formidable pirate captains is well earned, her notoriety boosting her melee attack and giving her a ward save in addition to increasing plunder gained from encounters at sea.

EYE OF THE VORTEX STARTING POSITION

And ME starting location + we can see that Galleon´s Graveyard is also added
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Her face looks like one of those haunting Nic Cage faceswaps. The Vampire first hands is the second cheapest way of getting away with a non-Vampire in a vamp faction but at least they didn't turn her into a Vampire herself. A bit of a bummer that Sartosa becomes a zombie pirate faction instead of a regular pirate one though. She does sound like an interesting lord though, scissor legs and all.

And guys, compare the ME map around bottom border. They changes regions too. At least Land of Dervishes is newly on map with Gulf of Medes. And Heart of the Jungle just next to the Shifting Sands. And tiny island off the coast of Headhunters Jungle, Chupayotl? (lost and sunken Lizardmen temple city). And also they borders between Estalia and Tilea? Tobaro seems to finally be under Tilea as it's always supposed to be...Not sure completely!

Last edited by Daruwind; October 11, 2018 at 04:01 PM.

I think adding the Land of the Dervishes and the Heart of the Jungle is pretty cool. I played Thegan's Errantry via Crynsos' faction unlocker and I thought it was pretty nice change of pace with a good variety of opposing factions. If CA has no other plans for the area, the Land of the Dervishes even if it is left to modders I think is a pretty good starting place for a few other factions (High Elves perhaps) (assuming climate isn't an issue).

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

I'm actually a bit intrigued by this DLC, even though I'm not a fan of the horde mechanics (which the pirates seem to be, in some way). The roster seems pretty ace, though.

Steph already added the last lord to another thread:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15677851
    But just to keep everything in this thread as well...

i must say, with this last LL im little torned. It is great that CA can add completely new LL, it means a lot for minor factions or strange side characters but honestly something about her esthetics put me off. Thou traits,characteristic are great..

Legend has it that the sea witch Cylostra Direfin was once the favourite court singer of the Bretonnian king. Sent on a voyage across the ocean to sing for the Phoenix King, they were hit by a fierce storm. The madame’s notes turned to screams of fury as the ship sank, and all onboard drowned. Decades later, a Bretonnian galleon of rotten wood and tattered sails can be seen navigating the seas even in the most savage of storms. It is The Lamprey, the ship of the vengeful spirit Madame Cylostra and her crew, the Drowned.

FACTION EFFECTS As Mistress of the Deep, Cylostra Direfin’s very presence increases the loyalty of new recruits while also reducing the upkeep and recruitment costs for Mournguls and Syreens faction-wide.
    LORD EFFECTS

Cylostra Direfin can offer the loyal followers in her army increased physical resistance while also enabling magical attacks.
    MOUNT: ROTTING LEVIATHAN

Cylostra Direfin can take the field resplendent on the back of a Rotting Leviathan.
    UNIQUE ARCANE ITEM: THE BORDELEAUX FLABELLUM

Cylostra Direfin’s ornate ceremonial fan increases public order in all provinces and vampiric corruption in local provinces. It also grants Cylostra a passive ability that reduces ability recharge whenever she casts a spell.

UNIQUE SKILLS

GHOSTS OF THE PAST

Cylostra Direfin can call forth spectral Bretonnian knights bound to her will, summoning a unit of Damned Knights Errant who can be upgraded to either Damned Questing Knights or Damned Knights of the Realm.

FROM THE DEPTHS

Cylostra Direfin can summon countless lost souls from beneath the waves, reducing the cost of raising the dead and increasing the recruitment rank of her army.

CONJURATION THROUGH HATE

Cylostra Direfin is well-versed in harnessing the hatred required to master Mourngul Haunters, increasing their hero capacity and recruitment rank.

FIERY DIVA

Cylostra Direfin is a prima donna in more ways than one, but it works in her favour by reducing the cooldown and casting costs for overcast spells.

EMERGING TERROR

The creatures under Cylostra Direfin’s direction are as resilient as they are terrifying, with increased physical resistance for Syreen, Mourngul, and Bloated Corpses and greatly reduced upkeep for the latter.

SIREN OF THE STORM

A powerful sea witch, Cylostra Direfin benefits from a reduced miscast base chance for overcast spells as well as an increased Winds of Magic power reserve.

EYE OF THE VORTEX STARTING POSITION

MORTAL EMPIRES STARTING POSITION

Last edited by Daruwind; October 12, 2018 at 10:49 AM.

Her aesthetics put you off? What you fat shaming! Ghosts don't have legs to do cardio you know!

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
    Her aesthetics put you off? What you fat shaming! Ghosts don't have legs to do cardio you know!
    Nonono nothing about that. I honestly cannot pinpoint what part about her is irritating me... but after second reading, her whole character is well put together ghost, singer, fiery diva....all public order, casting...I don´t know honestly. From all 4 LLs she is standing out in my eyes but then probably better having something different then 4 similar LLs Quess I will give her chance once in game.

BTW: I love Grom the Paunch and Skrag the Slaughterer, so fat characters are really not problems
    Last edited by Daruwind; October 12, 2018 at 11:45 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Steph already added the last lord to another thread:
    I wanted to beat you to it this time, so I posted as soon as I saw the release... in the wrong thread.... This account to an epic fail....

I think she's an interesting character
    - The fact it's a new invented character means that CA could do the same for other factions with little lore (Amazon?) and go against the argument used by some "CA shouldn't make a DLC for this faction, because it doesn't have enough LL"
    - This means we have something new to try, not seen before.
    - If CA push the voice acting as far as they could, with diva singer voice, it could be fun and original. With a little humour in the mix.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I wanted to beat you to it this time, so I posted as soon as I saw the release... in the wrong thread.... This account to an epic fail....

I think she's an interesting character
    - The fact it's a new invented character means that CA could do the same for other factions with little lore (Amazon?) and go against the argument used by some "CA shouldn't make a DLC for this faction, because it doesn't have enough LL"
    - This means we have something new to try, not seen before.
    - If CA push the voice acting as far as they could, with diva singer voice, it could be fun and original. With a little humour in the mix.
    Is user creation allowed too? In mods, as long as it's not related to other IP?

Patrician Artifex

Depends... Some players are a bit.... fanatics... about the lore and will flame any deviation made by modders. Other likes new ideas. And for modders, some are inventing new units which don't exist at all (and are sometimes far off), some are creating tons of units using the slightest reference they can find ti make it "lore friendly" (with results I don't think are so good). Others follow the lore strictly... In my case, I try to stay close to the lore, but don't mind making a few extra units, as long as they stay with the "spirit" of the lore if not the letter, and don't create unbalanced or useless units.

I have heard some people (YouTube) saying that her lore is really stupid, and doesn't make a lot of sense - nor does her starting position from that perspective.

Patrician Artifex

Haters will always hate....

Finally pinpointed what I don´t like! She is not scary enough! The others three have much harder look in face, she looks like bored to death And her fingers, i would change them more to be like claws.. Imagine if the others three walked into doors. They are scary, intimidating, especially both guys are like tough guys to deal with...she doesn´t look like that... But I´m using mods for more beautiful Morathi...so hopefully somebody will change her a little.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Well, I will never beat your work ;-) that´s much higher form of work...art in fact!!

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Is user creation allowed too? In mods, as long as it's not related to other IP?
    Steph,covered it nicely. I don´t have problem with things loosely based on lore but it must have some reason. Like with Radious i often have feeling that every race/faction has every possible combination. They are not so unique. I can for example live with RoR dwarf special cavalry but it cannot be common unit ;-)

I have heard some people (YouTube) saying that her lore is really stupid, and doesn't make a lot of sense - nor does her starting position from that perspective.
    Because there is so many characters they could picked from. (so many fanboys with their favourite characters ;-) ) Still we would have another very similar character to other three or some weird one like Silver Princess with lots of lore bending. Starting location is not much stranger than others like Teclis, Tretch, Khalida, Khatep in ME... And her stats, traits... seem to make sense. Still her character feels little like a cliche yet how better to get Banshee with such powerful voice, drowned singer..drowned for pirate...
    Last edited by Daruwind; October 13, 2018 at 12:36 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Steph,covered it nicely. I don´t have problem with things loosely based on lore but it must have some reason. Like with Radious i often have feeling that every race/faction has every possible combination. They are not so unique. I can for example live with RoR dwarf special cavalry but it cannot be common unit ;-)
    Since you mention Radious first.... I don't really like his mod for three reasons
    - Give every type of units to every faction, so reducing the flavour of the faction
    - Add units which are just "better" for no good reason. Like for HE, he added IRC city guards, which are just better spearmen, or some Spire guards which are better than Phoenix guards. Result a) the units which are supposed to be the best are no longer the best b)you have many units which become completly uninteresting after some turn, and not reason to recruit them at all.
    - Make changes which are clearly against lore (like IRC Spire Guards of Tor Yvresse as halberdiers or swordmen, and I think they are supposed to be archers...).

In SWO-RD, I have added mostly flavour units, which province specific heraldry, or "elite" version of units (like Sentinels are elite Spearmen for HE), but they are limited in numbers. So they don't replace Spearmen, they can just be used to boost a little your army.

An example here witgh "golden" armour vs normal unit (silver armour) for Eataine flavoured Spearmen.

I add a few units, such as female spearmen, but they are not better than male spearmen, and are there more for flavour than unbalancing. And I tried to keep the spirit of the lore with their armour and textures.

And I sometime try to improve existing units, reworking the textures to what I think they should look like, but not changing the unit stats/name. Like my "camo" version of the Waywatchers, which are supposed to be master of Stealth.

And I'm currently trying to make lore specific texture for WE spellsingers: I don't think the lore speaks about it.

Lore of Life, Beast, Shadow

As you can see, modders can do a lot, more or less lore friendly

Since you mention Radious first.... I don't really like his mod for three reasons
    I´m sorry my English was probably really bad in previous post plus i put together too many thoughts...

I don´t like his mods for exactly those reasons. My senteces about him was poorly worded on my side, it should be more like: "For example I don´t like Radious work, with his mods I often have feeling that every race/faction has every possible combination."

But for example thinking about Hobbit film, battle of five armies, I like the dwarf mountain goat cav. So for example adding those as some RoR, one of the time special unit. I could probably live with that. In realation to tolkien lore, of course, in warhammer it will be totally off but if modder find similar loose link, base on film or book for example, why not. I just didn´t get on mind any Wh example instead. But having common base dwarf cav unit would remove their weakness.. :-)
    Last edited by Daruwind; October 13, 2018 at 01:27 PM.

Patrician Artifex

For the dwarves this would be difficult, since they don't have any cav units, and so probably no animation that can be used for their skeleton with a mount. So here the imagination of moders is limited by the constraints with have with existing animation.

But other stuffs would be possible, like giving HE units mounted on Stags instead of a horse for cavalry recruited in Avelorn.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast