Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DEI 1.2.3e Romani Let's Play Campaign

Default Re: DEI 1.2.3e Romani Let's Play Campaign

Episode 3 is now live. Watch it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqDT...ature=youtu.be

Episode 4 is now live. Watch it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gf6...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; October 03, 2018 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Episode 5 is now live. Watch it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrYQ...ature=youtu.be

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderGamer View Post
    Episode 5 is now live. Watch it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrYQ...ature=youtu.be
    Excellent!
    I'll watch it today, since it rains cats and dogs here.

Episode 6 is now live. Watch it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxCi...ature=youtu.be

If I can offer a suggestion, you should strive to provide insights about optimal strategy (field, siege, economy) and tactics. I only listened to 1.5 episodes but so far it has been like watching a casual gamer click around with little planning or understanding of the mechanics of the game.
    In my opinion the value of a let's play is tied to how much you can improve the level of understanding of the game/mod for the average player

Quote Originally Posted by PietrolEremita View Post
    If I can offer a suggestion, you should strive to provide insights about optimal strategy (field, siege, economy) and tactics. I only listened to 1.5 episodes but so far it has been like watching a casual gamer click around with little planning or understanding of the mechanics of the game.
    In my opinion the value of a let's play is tied to how much you can improve the level of understanding of the game/mod for the average player
    I agree with you, that's what I enjoy from a let's play as well. But hey, this guy is just learning about the mod as he plays, and many people are into this kind of let's plays too.

Not exactly a casual gamer mate. If you check my channel you'll see that since I launched it just over a month or so ago I have done daily uploads to my channel (bar a few occasions were there was technical issues). But as far as this particular mod and build of DEI goes, I've had very little prior experience with it prior to launching this let's play. Also if you watch the first episode and listen to what I'm saying, I'm pretty certain that I state the reason for the LP is to show off the amazing work that the DEI team have done. Not so much to give everyone my take on what I believe is the optimal strategy for field, siege, economics and tactics. The reality is that every player has they're own style, so what I perceive to be the optimal strategy for the game, a completely different player will have a totally different perception of what the overall optimal strategy for the game is (I'll also wager that it varies significantly from faction to faction).

But thank you for the suggestion. I will endeavor to be more insightful about what I'm doing in game and why. Cheers. D.U.G.

You don't have to be an expert-hardcore gamer (I hate that word) or a military genius to make an enjoyable stream. Optimal is subjective, you could give a few basic hints and tips though, but that's up to you.
    Let's play videos are useful for various reasons and many people are into them.They don't have to be perfect as the user is also learning the curve of the mod.

@DownUnderGamer So keep it up buddy.

No, there is very little subjectivity to optimal tactics and field/building strategy. Some buildings are just better than others in almost any circumstances, some units are completely outclassed by others under every possible angle and some tactics just give better results given the set up of the game and mod.

Casual gamer judged by the knowledge of the mod's underpinnings not the frequency of your uploads.

Having said that, carry on, the internet is a free space and you should feel empowered to upload whatever let's play you want. I pointed out my opinion, and, while the "optimal is subjective" argument is ridiculous, that shouldn't stop you from doing what you want.
    Have fun!

Episode 7 is now live. Watch it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AfedoHyIcY

No, there is very little subjectivity to optimal tactics and field/building strategy. Some buildings are just better than others in almost any circumstances, some units are completely outclassed by others under every possible angle and some tactics just give better results given the set up of the game and mod.

Casual gamer judged by the knowledge of the mod's underpinnings not the frequency of your uploads.

Having said that, carry on, the internet is a free space and you should feel empowered to upload whatever let's play you want. I pointed out my opinion, and, while the "optimal is subjective" argument is ridiculous, that shouldn't stop you from doing what you want.
    Have fun!
    +1

Have fun!
    Well that's your opinion. After almost 20yrs on the series, I could post you 10 or more different optimal strategies for a specific faction and still some people could find them not to their liking, so it's definitely subjective.
    I agree that some first moves could be objectively good for any faction though.

You should also avoid putting labels to people you don't know (casual,hardcore) also calling other people's opinion ''ridiculous'' isn't a valid argument at all, plus it makes your posting style quite annoying.

Cheers.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; October 04, 2018 at 02:58 PM.

"optimal strategy" haha, this isn't CS go or some other hyper-competitive RTS. I've played this mod for years and generally I just role-play my way along and enjoy it just fine. The game is not difficult enough for most factions that you need to min-max every detail. If that's your playstyle fair enough, but what I like in a lets play is seeing someone enjoying themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Well that's your opinion. After almost 20yrs on the series, I could post you 10 or more different optimal strategies for a specific faction and still some people could find them not to their liking, so it's definitely subjective.
    I agree that some first moves could be objectively good for any faction though.

You should also avoid putting labels to people you don't know (casual,hardcore) also calling other people's opinion ''ridiculous'' isn't a valid argument at all, plus it makes your posting style quite annoying.

Cheers.
    Yep, started with STW here as well. English is not my first language so I could be off here, but "optimal" strategy is judged against some quantifiable parameter. For example a set of buildings given certain initial conditions will give higher income than another set of buildings. That's an optimal strategy, whether that's to your 'liking" or not. You can choose to do something else of course but that doesn't change the fact that there is an optimal strategy (or strategies) given certain conditions.

I had no intention to apply labels to anyone, I was just trying to express a thought without writing a college essay. I think I explained pretty well why claiming that an optimal strategy (or a few in theory) given specific conditions does not exist and everything is subjective is simply absurd, sorry that you find that annoying.

As someone that has passed the midway point of an average lifespan, I would suggest you expose yourself to a broader set of ideas in your life. If the opinion of a random stranger on the internet about a game can annoy you, you might need to rethink your focus. This comes sincerely from a feeling of concern on my part, I am not trying to be
    This is just a game

Yep, started with STW here as well. English is not my first language so I could be off here, but "optimal" strategy is judged against some quantifiable parameter. For example a set of buildings given certain initial conditions will give higher income than another set of buildings. That's an optimal strategy, whether that's to your 'liking" or not. You can choose to do something else of course but that doesn't change the fact that there is an optimal strategy (or strategies) given certain conditions.
    You're talking specifically for building's optimal strategy and I'm talking about general optimal strategy (diplomacy,aggression,war declarations,army movement and units) so we're talking about 2 completely different things. I could agree with the buildings (only) optimal strategy but
    Rome's 2 randomness is something that's not helping with making the same moves each time.

I had no intention to apply labels to anyone, I was just trying to express a thought without writing a college essay.
    Maybe you had no intention but you applied them nonetheless.
    Ridiculous opinion,casual gamer. These are your words, right?

I think I explained pretty well why claiming that an optimal strategy (or a few in theory) given specific conditions does not exist and everything is subjective is simply absurd, sorry that you find that annoying. ]
    As someone that has passed the midway point of an average lifespan, I would suggest you expose yourself to a broader set of ideas in your life. If the opinion of a random stranger on the internet about a game can annoy you, you might need to rethink your focus. This comes sincerely from a feeling of concern on my part
    I think you tottaly misunderstood my post. I never felt your opinion was annoying. I'm always open to new ideas (except veganism) Plus I'm experienced enough to respect every opinion presented with reasonable manner to me. Your labeling and calling ridiculous another opinion was quite annoying though. I appreciate your concern, but my focus is on the right track. I can multi-focus as long as I have adequate coffee supply.

PS
    Let's stay on-topic though.

I used building strategy as the easiest example. I would need to write a bit more but I could show you how all the other game aspects you listed also follow the same principle.

This is neither here nor there though, arguing semantics, taking words out of context and building strawmen will get us nowhere. I am glad that my posts did not have the impact on you I feared and I am happy that you still seem to have a positive outlook.

As you correctly pointed out, let's get back on topic

I used building strategy as the easiest example. I would need to write a bit more but I could show you how all the other game aspects you listed also follow the same principle.

This is neither here nor there though, arguing semantics, taking words out of context and building strawmen will get us nowhere. I am glad that my posts did not have the impact on you I feared and I am happy that you still seem to have a positive outlook.

As you correctly pointed out, let's get back on topic
    Sure no problem. We could make another thread about it anytime.

PS
    My previous message's main intention wasn't to argue or diminish your opinion though. I just don't want@DownUnderGamer or any other streamer-player
    to feel ''inadequate'' for such kind of endeavors (let's play).
    I'm sure you're aware that constructive feedback is always welcomed for modders,streamers etc, but let's focus more on highlighting the positives in his videos, since he's still learning the (mod's) ropes.

Fair enough ?
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; October 04, 2018 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Sure no problem. We could make another thread about it anytime.

PS
    My previous message's main intention wasn't to argue or diminish your opinion though. I just don't want@DownUnderGamer or any other streamer-player
    to feel ''inadequate'' for such kind of endeavors (let's play).
    I'm sure you're aware that constructive feedback is always welcomed for modders,streamers etc, but let's focus more on highlighting the positives in his videos, since he's still learning the (mod's) ropes.

Fair enough ?
    I'm a 6foot 5inch grizzly bear of an Aussie man. There's definitely no inadequate feelings here

Besides. After doing jobs like door to door sales and cold calling, having countless doors slammed in your face, abused down the phone many a times and still pushing forward. A few differing opinions on the internet won't dissuade me.

Episode 8 is now live. Watch it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKbT...ature=youtu.be

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast