Thread: Dumb AI

Germanicus75's Avatar Domesticus

Default Dumb AI

I love Rome TW, but sometimes the AI is as dumb as rocks.

It keeps attacking me in exactly the same place and keeps getting beaten back every time. It doesn't try to attack me in other spots where I'm weaker. You'd think it would either desist or at least try something different.

Also, it has weak army compositions and often doesn't use generals, even with large stacks. On the battlefield, it often runs its units around in circles or needlessly shuffles them around, so exhausting them.

Just wanted to vent. I'm playing Lusted's TE mod on Medium/Medium btw.

crazyroman's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Dumb AI

You have to accept that the AI is bad.And it's not only in R: TW but other games as well.

Brain dead AI is a staple of most if not all Total War games unfortunately. In fact, cant really think of a strategy game that does have good AI. Maybe Crusader Kings 2? Haven't played it but heard good things about it tough.

crazyroman's Avatar Artifex

Shogun 2 had good AI i heard.But it's the only game from Total War series that i heard it has good AI.

Germanicus75's Avatar Domesticus

Actually, I now have to take back a little of what I said about the campaign AI, anyway. After *many* attacks on my strongest points, it finally decided to attack my heartlands, my weaker points. But it took it many resources and a long time to get that far.
    Eventually, after many, many turns attacking me, it realised it wasn't going to beat me, so it has offered an alliance instead! I don't believe it! (Probably it will betray me later!)

Daminios's Avatar Civis

Just play Shogun TW & Medieval Total War , the original & best ..... "period"

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus75 View Post
    I love Rome TW, but sometimes the AI is as dumb as rocks.
    Try Rome 2! It defines "dumb" AI.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    Try Rome 2! It defines "dumb" AI.
    Is it really that bad? What TW game, besides STW/MTW, has decent BAI? Mods to the BAI (like RBAI) also count
    ----- ---------
    HACKING INTO THE MAINFRAME!!!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Yeah, the RTW AI is really dumb, I've recalled it playing recently the IB-SAI mod. However, I think that some mods made it much better, eg. SSHIP or EBII for Medieval 2. I also find Attila-AoC not so bad (well, it doesn't cope with the complexity of the base Attila strategic situation).
    Also the Thrones it's not the worst as I may attest (but don't play it without a submod fixing diplomacy).
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by OJ33DA View Post
    Is it really that bad? What TW game, besides STW/MTW, has decent BAI? Mods to the BAI (like RBAI) also count
    CA, in general, was never really about AI. In my book, their best (BAI) are RTW, M2TW, and Shogun 2. Back then, you had to take action. In Rome 2, you get zero challenge (try for yourself). I'm not talking about mods now.

I remember trying some BAI mods for M2TW and maybe Rome 2. In M2TW (years ago), factions ganged up on me - battle after battle after battle. It was tiresome and not enjoyable - unless that's what you want. I'm ok with unmodded BAI for M2TW/RTW/SHOGUN 2 until today. In Rome 2, I think I tried some early BAI mods - don't remember anything notable though. The overall Rome 2 battle feeling is just so stale!

Heh, I begin Rome 2, and after a few turns I go over to RTW

The best CAI and BAI you will find in a Rome Total War mod is with any doubt DarthMod, try it. I played it and loved the game. i remeber one time I was playing with Carthage and all confident because I had a huge army in Italy when the tracians knocked on my door and just destroyed army after army, I was scared ahah. Nevermind, I'm going to play it again x)

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    The best CAI and BAI you will find in a Rome Total War mod is with any doubt DarthMod, try it. I played it and loved the game. i remeber one time I was playing with Carthage and all confident because I had a huge army in Italy when the tracians knocked on my door and just destroyed army after army, I was scared ahah. Nevermind, I'm going to play it again x)
    It just recalled me that the Ultimate General features very good AI, imho (not surprising as this is made by the Darth Vader company).

Civis

Darthmod has a number of bugs, does it not? That’s all I read about in the Darthmod subforum...
    ----- ---------
    HACKING INTO THE MAINFRAME!!!