Thread: Medieval 2 Gold Reinstall/uninstall problems

Default Medieval 2 Gold Reinstall/uninstall problems

Hello, i'm having a really strange problem regarding my Medieval 2 Gold edition copy. I recently uninstalled the game but regretted it and tried reinstalling it again. Now, the problem i had was when i uninstalled medieval 2 and kingdoms, only kingdoms was uninstalled and i was unable to uninstall medieval 2 from the control panel. After digging around looking for any leftover files or registry keys and deleting all i could find related to medieval 2, it was actually gone from the control panel so i thought great, it's been uninstalled. But now when i put the medieval 2 gold cd in my laptop to reinstall the game as soon as the launcher comes up it goes starts to install Medieval 2 and then straight away pops up with insert disc 2 before it even installed. So when i did insert disc 2 it installed all the kingdoms expansion but not Medieval 2 itself. So when i try clicking on one of the kingdom exe's it comes up with missing dll or something. The folder looks like this - Computer > Local Disk (c > Total War > Medieval 2..and thats where the mods folder is and where the kingdoms application is but no Medieval 2 files or folders. What the hell is going on, any ideas?

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Medieval 2 Gold Reinstall/uninstall problems

One option would be to register the CD key on Steam, and install through there
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I do happen to have a tutorial about that

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Of course you do...
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I do happen to have a tutorial about that
    God bless you, Gigantus.

Blog Entries

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanArcher View Post
    Hello, i'm having a really strange problem regarding my Medieval 2 Gold edition copy. I recently uninstalled the game but regretted it and tried reinstalling it again. Now, the problem i had was when i uninstalled medieval 2 and kingdoms, only kingdoms was uninstalled and i was unable to uninstall medieval 2 from the control panel. After digging around looking for any leftover files or registry keys and deleting all i could find related to medieval 2, it was actually gone from the control panel so i thought great, it's been uninstalled. But now when i put the medieval 2 gold cd in my laptop to reinstall the game as soon as the launcher comes up it goes starts to install Medieval 2 and then straight away pops up with insert disc 2 before it even installed. So when i did insert disc 2 it installed all the kingdoms expansion but not Medieval 2 itself. So when i try clicking on one of the kingdom exe's it comes up with missing dll or something. The folder looks like this - Computer > Local Disk (c > Total War > Medieval 2..and thats where the mods folder is and where the kingdoms application is but no Medieval 2 files or folders. What the hell is going on, any ideas?
    fyi, if u do want a disk install (instead of steam) you most likely need to run a registry cleaner first to get rid of the keys that say you have mtw2 base game disk installed already. I recommended ccleaner and run it in safe mode.

And, if your running win7 or later (who isn't) i'd check ur vitrual store folder for mtw2 base game files you may of missed during manual delete as that is probably while mtw didn't uninstall right the first time.
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!

Blog Entries

VS tutorial\guide here. Not mine this time