Quote Originally Posted by Frosted Flaker View Post
Imagine if EB was that easy to install in 2004! I think we'd have a very different mod community.
Most importantly, like you said there are so many mods that went nowhere, or competing mods that did the same thing, or submods where one guy branched off to do his own thing. It's not like Warhammer where I know SFO is the more in depth mod and Radious is the mod with tonnes of stuff. Knowing that DEI (Rome 2), Fall of the Eagles (Attila) and Crucible of Kings (Britannia) are made with a coherent shared vision across titles, and if I want something more arcadey there's a Radious mod for each title too, has been really something.

Do you think that Steam Workshop has changed the game? Do you think that if the next saga title is set in the middle ages, or the next historical release is Medieval 3, there will be a definitive vision of a medieval mod?
I think the modding community was at its peak in years 2004-2012 or something. There was plethora of the bigger mods at that time - just check RTW and M2TW. The current mods in the Steam Workshop are usually single element improvement (better shields! unlocked faction! etc.) There're a few exceptions (eg. DEI, AE, Radious) but in the past, you'd have 20 mods for each game. The modding community is on the decline with big mods, actually for Attila and Thrones there's no serious historical overhaul (FotE and EP were left unfinished, they're in no way DEI like).

Personally, I wish there'd be a new Empire-like game, as the ETW is the worst TW game ever and no mod could fix it. But this is a topic for another thread on TWC.