Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cookiegods eye cancer workshop

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: Cookiegods eye cancer workshop

I made a header for when I revamp and restart my AAR, hopefully next month.

So the above is going to be the header for the whole story

The plan is then to have individual chapter/parts headers for each part, with the main character of the part next to it, as an elegant way to showing whose perspective it is we're seeing things from currently. It was quite the issue and caused lots of confusion.
    So Part headers would look something like this for example:

Except that instead of the OWaP it'd say something like (Chapter) I Part 7 to the left of the boy, and the boy would be replaced by depending who's the important character.

The overall header is ridiculously oversized, at 5305x1080 pixels. There's also a signature version which again, I will use once I actually have something to show.

And there's a desktop background version

I've asked lots of people for feedback on this thing already. Special thanks especially to Derc and Akar. But if you spot something then feel free to tell me.

Also, I'm currently searching for characters to use for some of the parts. E.g. I need the old man with white hair, and some others.
    If you have some ideas where I can find them, let me know.
    I try not to use copyrighted content, such as drawings, directly. But I think screenshots from movies or games are ok. The 2 charactermodels you can see above are from Plague Tales.
    Last edited by Cookiegod; May 18, 2020 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

I like the top one better.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Same here
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Very nice dude! Glad to see you post in here like I recommended

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

The text of the top one is definitely best, and it is super cool on its own. One thing I don't quite like though is the use of photos for the characters. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like a clean photo of a person breaks a bit of the immersive "medieval" feel of things. Have you thought about drawn images for the characters, or maybe even images that aren't the characters, but that would provide a good indicator for the character whose perspective is central? (e.g. a cross when it's the priest, a dagger when it's Aistulf, a shield when it's Gundulf, a set of scales when it's Matteo, etc.)
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I disagree with the first part of your post, Kilo, where you say that you dislike the look of the characters. That being said I do think that's a very neat idea to use images that relate to the character but aren't the character. That could also be a valid direction to take. I do love the pics of those kids though (don't take that out of context)

Citizen

Ye same here. Using symbols would be much more feasible than making way too many pics of characters (though just out of interest: What would you use for the old wolf? Hehe, never mind, I just answered my own question).

Those aren't photos though, but screens I took in a game:
    Screenies

To clear up the other misunderstanding: I didn't post the second image as an either or, but regarding chapter headers, which are different from the overall header.
    So as an example I made one quick draft that also builds on what Kilo proposed:

The "Symbol" text would obviously be replaced by some symbol for the main character of that part. The kid on the right on the other hand would remain for the entire chapter I, the kid on the left could be there for chapter III, etc.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I quite like that idea, and the mock up for the "symbol" image, Cookie.

I also like that general idea. Once you have some solid images that are near ready to go, it'd be interesting to have a look at them. Like, if you wouldn't mind posting them, it might be cool to see your full set of images that have all different characters portrayed on them. Obviously, that's up to you, but I'd be happy to give input on a swath of images.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Yes, Cookie, let us see a swathe.

Bare yourself to us.

edit: I just noticed the "part VII" image, and I think that the "A" in "part" is far too destroyed. I had to do a double take when I saw the image to figure out what the text said.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Yes, Cookie, let us see a swathe.

Bare yourself to us.
    I have things to add to this, but they are perhaps somewhat nsfw. I'll keep them to myself until I next hit the TD discord

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    edit: I just noticed the "part VII" image, and I think that the "A" in "part" is far too destroyed. I had to do a double take when I saw the image to figure out what the text said.
    I could understand the text (because I am far better at reading than Akar is ), but I agree that the "A" is too mangled. Maybe leave a bit more intact. Also, I am very proud of myself for not pouncing on the comment that "the 'A' is far too destroyed". Just saying...
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Honestly I have been having some Tobias Funke level Freudian slips today.

Citizen

Would you two please stop mangling my A?! Jk. Don't worry I'll fix some of the huge gaps so that it becomes readable again. Though I did it as an example anyway.

Campidoctor

I think Comic Sans or Papyrus would fit better.

Citizen

What if I told you there's already Papyrus in it, and you didn't notice?! For shame, Derc. For shame!

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I had caught the Papyrus AND the Comic Sans from the first pic.

COME ON DERC

Campidoctor

It looks like my eye cancer has progressed very far.
    Speaks for itself.

Citizen

Kilo and I have bundled our forces and are working on one massive map template together. The goal being that after we finish the start stuff, then we'd always have a very strong base for any map we'd want to make. Be it about the Nabateans or about central Europe in the 11th century. Kilo snipped some maps together (which is why the map projection doesn't really feature much of a curvature except at the snips), I enlarged the map significantly, so that we're now at 17221x11671pixels (!). Then we splitted it now up further so that Kilo can draw the mountains with some fancy new software he has, whilst I can take care of the rivers... Which I so far have only done for Spain, and as per tradition way too many of them (see the first map in the second contentbox). But that's ok, since I then just used a layermask to switch most of them off, and should either of us need any of the smaller rivers, we can just make them visible again.

Anyway. For the "large map" (scaled down for less load times etc.) click here.

The map is, in spite of its scale, good enough for a mountain nerd such as me that I can use it to illustrate e.g. someone crossing the Great St. Bernhard pass in sufficient detail

In that case one would have to start in Ivrea, go into the Aosta valley and the eponymous city, then up a side valley, cross the Bernhard pass itself, down a different side valley, then the first bit of the upper Rhone valley before the river makes its bend, then along the Lac Leman to Lausanne. The above map isn't zoomed in.

For those interested as to how I scaled it up without much quality loss, I used inkscape to trace the topographic maps. I did so in 20 steps, and therefore if you were to recreate a topographical map from the heightmap it would look like this:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I chose Spain as a testing ground, even though for OWaP this region is quite unimportant, though the year is once more approximately 1080. But the geography is easier to separate from the rest, compared to Italy, which I'll probably do next.
    I have to work region after region and later snip them together again anyway, as working on large sizes is always a pain.

For Spanish maps click here

Fonts are probably not good here, I should switch to some others, did it relatively on the quick, and the white inside the red city circles is there to put some symbols if I choose to. E.g. moons for the muslim controlled ones or something else.

I'm also kind of split with regards to colourisation. You can see three alternatives. One is fully coloured, one is only with either land or sea coloured, since colouring the other then kinda feels redundant. Plus I like the parchment I rendered myself since finding one premade with the required massive size wasn't really an option. Parchment again is only half done; no dirt or blood or other stains, edges aren't destroyed etc. Just the pure parchment because of my laziness.

Credit to Akar for nice CK3 screens (as well as other help) from one of which I cropped out the Muslim ruler as an experiment.

As per usual, all feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially criticism that helps improve.

cedric37's Avatar Why Not ?!
    Patrician Citizen

Nice work with the spanish map.
    The last one is the one I prefer, you could even try to make it look older, choosing darker red, less saturated blue and more yellowish ground.
    The 2nd one is not good in terms on contrast; the blue of the sea and rivers melts too much the green. It's even worst with the darker borders if you see what I mean.
    The 3rd one is not bad in terms of contrast and relay the information about the regions.

I'd personally go for the last one, adding only pastel colours, without darker borders to keep the contrast ok and the old map feeling.
    Patronized by y2day/Patron of KDK, Swagger & Navajo Joe, of the Imperial House of Hader

Citizen

I worked a bit more on it this morning before I had seen your reply. But part of your advice is implemented on one of the maps:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast