Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Last Stand of Greece (General Discussion)

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

Default The Last Stand of Greece (General Discussion)

The Last Stand of Greece is a campaign overhaul of the Wrath of Sparta DLC that focuses on the events of the 4th Macedonian War (150BC-148BC) and the Achaian War (146BC). Why should you give this mod a try? What does it offer more than the vanilla DLC? As the mod creator, here are 6 reasons why I believe that mod deserves a try.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1. More units. Granted, the setting of Wrath of Sparta does not offer more possibilities apart from Hoplite Warfare as this is what it was in Greece at the time though the rosters are copy pasted most of the time with 0 variety (e.g Athens and Korinthos share the exact same roster). Wrath of Sparta has 52 units in total (excluding mercenaries, more on that later), The Last Stand of Greece has over 130 with many new ones created for this campaign.
    2. More playable factions. Wrath of Sparta has 4 playable factions: Athens, Korinthos, Sparta and the Boiotian League. The Last Stand of Greece has 12: Macedon, Rome, Attalid Kingdom, Bithynia, Odrysian Kingdom, Seleucids, Achaian League, Aitolian League, Thessalian League, Athens, Rhodos and Crete
    3. A better mercenary system: Wrath of Sparta only has 5 different mercenary units available on every single province. The Last Stand of Greece has 25 mercenary units spread across the map with unique regional ones for more variety, also making some provinces more important.
    4. Starts for all kinds. Do you want to start small, isolated on the map cornered by enemies and try to fight through to greatness? Then the Seleucids are for you. Or maybe do you feel like rebelling against your master? Then the Aitolian or the Thessalian League are the perfect match. Or do you want to start big and attempt to destroy everyone who dares resisting you? Pick the Romans? Or do you want to be a small kingdom that will earn its place in the epics? Then Look no further than Bithynia. Or perhaps you want to avenge past defeats and restore your faction where it belongs? Macedon is the one to play
    5. Something for everyone. Thanks to the much larger unit variety the factions available cover a lot of different playstyles and tactics than just the basic hoplite phalanx
    6. Difficulty. The Last Stand of Greece offers factions with an easy challenge and some very challenging factions

This aside the mod also reworked the "identity" of Bithynia and the Thracians.

The Thracians in vanilla are celtic pushovers which is historically inaccurate. The Thracians used the Greek alphabet, their dialect is basically a Greek dialect as the only language close to it was the Greek one, the Thracian Kings adopted Hellenization, temples of Apollon were found in Thrace and cults of Thracian deites were also present in Athens. This is why I gave them Greek ships, Hellenized units and also Greek names for their units, Thracian is exctinct anyways and there would have been no way to use their dialect for their units.

Bithynia in vanilla are an Eastern faction (I know, they have the Greek religion though) which again is not historically accurate. The ruling family were Greeks (or very hellenized Thracians, the religion there was Greek polytheism though). Their roster is now composed of a Greek-Thracian-Eastern mix, the elite units however are fully Greek in order to represent the Greek higher class.

That's all for now, make sure to rate this mod and leave feedback/suggestions for further improvements The ideal experience is with the patch 20 version, however if you run patch 17 for whatever reasons, I kept a patch 17 version online for compatability reasons, though for the best experience you should download the newest version.

Patch 17: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=897282797
    Patch 20: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1219252339
    Last edited by Gyrosmeister; June 25, 2019 at 11:51 AM.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Default Re: The Last Stand of Greece (Wrath of Sparta overhaul)

Hey Gyromeister!

That's a very nice idea! Hellenistic-based campaign scenarios are always welcome. Congratulations!

I will certainly give a try at some point to this campaign. Some questions, though.

I understand that the Achaeans start off in alliance with Rome. How is the scenario of the Achaean War meant to be realized then? Is it scripted that they revolt at some point, or is that entirely down to the players' decisions?

Have you entertained the idea of having some emerging factions in place of the settlements belonging to the league? Like for example Sparta or Corinth should the league break up, or should the player decide to 'liberate' any of these cities from their membership in the league?

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Will definitely give this mod a try also, as soon as I take a break from my own modding. + rep
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Quote Originally Posted by seleukos99 View Post
    Hey Gyromeister!

That's a very nice idea! Hellenistic-based campaign scenarios are always welcome. Congratulations!

I will certainly give a try at some point to this campaign. Some questions, though.

I understand that the Achaeans start off in alliance with Rome. How is the scenario of the Achaean War meant to be realized then? Is it scripted that they revolt at some point, or is that entirely down to the players' decisions?

Have you entertained the idea of having some emerging factions in place of the settlements belonging to the league? Like for example Sparta or Corinth should the league break up, or should the player decide to 'liberate' any of these cities from their membership in the league?
    The Achaians do not start off in alliance with Rome. For your info Diaios from Megalopolis (who is the faction leader of the faction in the mod) was elected general in 150 B.C. and had strong anti-Roman views. From all campaigns I've played myself the Romans end up in a war with the Achaian League, and if you play as the Achaian League, you need to wage war on Rome in order to complete the victory conditions.

I had thought about making Sparta split from the League for example, as historically there was some kind of "scandal" going on down there as Menalkidas from Sparta (included in the mod aswell) apparently bribed Diaios to cover him whilst he would try to split Sparta from the League. Also I sadly cant do many startpos changes like this, I can still change starting buildings of settlements/armies/mercenaries and stuff like that via PFM but my assembly kit data got corrupt and I can't do any larger changes on the map sadly.

With that said thanks for your kind words

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

Looking Forward.

cheers

I am planning to update the mod with the main changes being tweaks to the Aitolian League:
    - The Hoplites in their roster will get replaced by the Thureophoroi
    - A new unit will be added exclusive to the Aitolian League, a melee inf unit with 5 javelins to throw, in melee they will lose bady against e.g Thorax Swords, but they will be cheaper overall. This unit will also be available in the provinces of Boiotia and Aitolia as a mercenary unit.

The reasons for these changes are the following:

A) Hoplites had either disappeared in the Aitolian Leauge or they were very few in number by the time of Polybios (in the mod they have access to Picked Hoplites, though a unit of "Epilektoi" is mentioned without any further comments on it). The Aitolian Hoplites becoming Thureophoroi would also explain Polybios's comments.

B) Aitolian raids were very common, they have had a reputation as a "Pirate state" so adding a unit to better suit some "hit and run" with the javelins can strengthen this identity, while also not ruining their capabilities at pitched battles as they had shown that they were able to wage such battles.

C) Aitolian mercenaries were often found in opposing armies and the Aitolian League exported mercenaries rather than hiring them.

D) The quality of the Aitolian infantry (according to Polybios) was below the normal Greek standard.

My sources for all this:

John D. Grainger - The League of the Aitolians
    Duncan Head - Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars
    Joseph B. Scholten - The Politics of Plunder: Aitolians and their Koinon in the Early Hellenistic Era

Massive Update!

The mod received a very big update
    , I will run down the most important changes:

New land units:

New naval units:

Additionally, some existing units received naval versions Kretes Toxotai and Auxiliares Sardinei Sagittarii (Hemiolias and Trihemiolias). The Thrakes Leistes got a Trieres version too. Note that the Achaioi Hippeis replace Politai Hippeis in the Achaian roster. Krete got most of the flavour because the faction is now playable, bringing the total of playable factions up to 12

Additionally, Heinrich von Preußen's Building Chains Expansion mod, Workshop link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1546949095 is included, so expect many new building chains

Also, a new campaign mechanic has been added, after a certain number of turns, a Roman fullstack will spawn (only once per playthrough though)

There are some other minor changes aswell:

• · The Periokos Camp chain will provide 2 units of Bithynoi Doryphoroi as garisson together with the 2 units of Eastern Archers to put it in par with the garisson composition of other Greek factions
    • · Reduced the price of the Thureophoroi Xiphophoroi from 670 to 650
    • · Reduced the price of the Bithynoi Xiphophoroi from 620 to 600
    • · Euzonoi Thureophoroi will be avaiable from the "light" chain instead (Mercenary Camp instead of Hoplite Barracks)
    • · Added 1 extra Elafrioi Hoplitai unit in all buildings that have 1 already as garisson for Athens, bringing the total up to 2 in order to put it in par with the garisson composition of other Greek factions
    • · Athens and all factions that have the Thureophoroi unit will now get a unit of Thureophoroi in their city garissons
    • · The port in Kalkis was upgraded to a Fishing Port in order to increase the food production of the Achaian League at the start
    • · The starting army of the Odrysian Kingdom got 1 extra unit (Thrakes Doryphoroi)
    • · The starting fleet of Krete was changed in order to feature the units of the new naval roster
    • · The Achaian Army at Aigion got the Politai Hippeis unit replaced with the new Achaioi Hippeis unit
    • · Re-did all maps on the faction selection screen
    • · Improved the Thureophoroi Hippeis unit card
    • · Improved the Thorakitai unit card
    • · Localisation fixes
    • · Fixed the unit group of the Rhodian Slingers
    Last edited by Gyrosmeister; November 06, 2018 at 01:06 PM.

+Rep
    I've followed this mod for awhile, and have been a friend of gyro because of it. Because of his mod I've been very interested in post Alexandrian Greece!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: The Last Stand of Greece (Original Thread)

Congrats for the new dedicated section. Feel free to reach me for any help you may need with your thread

Cheers,
    G.S

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: The Last Stand of Greece (Original Thread)

Looks like a great idea, looking forward to trying it out.

SenseiJT92's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: The Last Stand of Greece (General Discussion)

Hi - I run a ancient Greek themed group on Facebook (Greek Eurekaposting) - I've shared this mod over there as it looks great!
    Previously taylorj2, Allu X, Grandmaster Ryu, Dauntless Commandant & Sensei Kiisu

Creator of the "Perfectly Polished" sub-mod for Stainless Steel (M2:TW), contributing to LOTR:TW (R:TW) and many other modifications over time, now long-forgotten

Original join date, Feb 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by SenseiJT92 View Post
    Hi - I run a ancient Greek themed group on Facebook (Greek Eurekaposting) - I've shared this mod over there as it looks great!
    Hehe, thanks for sharing it

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Good work but I don't see how Thracians spoke Greek. But who cares right? It's a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikron View Post
    Good work but I don't see how Thracians spoke Greek. But who cares right? It's a game.
    They weren't speaking Koine Greek or so, there was a Thracian Language which is now dead, what we κnow is that they were using the Greek alphabet, as I said in the opening post, the only language that is close to Thracian is the Greek one, we don't have a lot of surviving examples of Thracian sadly which would allow for a better analysis of the language, but from what we know as of now, Thracian can be classified as a Greek dialect.

Hi! Can I ask for a non-Steam link?

Oh, and thank you so much for expanding on the WoS campaign! I got bored quickly while playing it because it was just like fighting against yourself with the lack of unit variety. This will surely change things!

Thanks for the comment Here is a non-steam link, though ideally I would recommend you to subscribe on steam in order for the mod to automatically update, because I cannot guarantee you an instant update of the non-steam version.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/va64iw...3/LSG.rar/file

Hi, the mod looks great. Is there any chance you will be adding Epirus as a playable faction?

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Epirus didn't existed anymore as independent state at this time.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrosmeister View Post
    Here is a non-steam link, though ideally I would recommend you to subscribe on steam in order for the mod to automatically update, because I cannot guarantee you an instant update of the non-steam version.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/va64iw...3/LSG.rar/file
    I know that's possible to update a non-Steam link on TWC Download.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast