Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total War : 1942

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Re: Total War : 1942

I've been doing some work on this mod for the entire night, morning and day- but sadly Rome: Total War likes to mess with the Modder every now and then as the CTD in the campaign randomly returns if editing the descr_strat even slightly.

As an example: I spent hours adding fleets and navies to all the main factions- and the game seemed to run just fine! - But then after a few turns in after i had finished modding them in plus done additional changes to other files, the mod decided to CTD on the AI's turn, and no matter how many times i loaded it- it happened again at the same spot..

But when removing some of the Navies the mod didn't CTD immediately so i thought the navy of the British Commonwealth, Vichy France, Japanese Empire and the remnants of the US fleet did work.. I even managed to reach 1945 with Italy's fleet added in.. But then at one point i couldn't continue the campaign that ran smoothly after the first two or three crashes, because it would gamelock and then CTD after each time i clicked next turn after returning to the game and loading the save.

I had no choice but to remove all the work i had done which sucked. The RTW AI is smart enough to move troops around, and they did act like in real history- it was interesting to see Japan facing the British in Asia, while Italy/Vichy/Germany faced Britain in the European theatre. Sadly i had to remove the fleets and without them they rarely build enough ships to actually use them that much. I wanted to have more action at sea while also making them jump from isle to isle- something the AI did do with ships when they had a big enough navy.

Unlike in Medieval 2: Total War: Kingdoms any change in the descr_strat seems to up stability. While in Med2 i can change the same stuff without CTD or bugs. Very annoying and one reason why Med2 is much easier to mod in my opinion. In RTW it always ctd no matter what one does.

Or almost, because i did also do the following changes and they do work:

1. Added the new custom settlements on the strat-map and in battle everywhere after getting a tip from Dagovax on what file i should edit.

2. Reduced the Jeep Bodyguards health from 10, 10 to 2, 2 like the BMW Motorcycles- they no longer win against a full army by themselves and will now be beaten by more than three other mechanized units. Maybe even less.

3. Changed the projectiles for all the tanks- Light Tanks are using the small shell, medium tanks are using the medium shell and early heavy tanks are using the large shell -and unlike before there are a lot of light and medium tanks who have better projectiles. Instead of the Panzer IV using the small shell it is now using the medium - instead of the Panzer 1 using medium it is now using small etc.

Tiger 1, Tiger 2, IS-2, IS-3 and the French futuristic tank that were never finished at the end of the war - are all now using the 1 Barrel cruiser missile. The turrets of these tanks look like ship-turrets- and the Tigers did actually use ex-ship turrets for their turrets.

- The Mause-tank has the large shell and is available in the recruitment using hidden resources -from Berlin only.

- Jets are buildable from Germany but nowhere else.

- Waffen SS are available from Germany only.

Dagovax had edited these units out in the 1.3.2 version, as he wanted to create special buildings for them - but that is still to be done.

I did do the work of giving all the planes 6, 6 in Health instead of 2, 2- this i did in order for them not to be so easily shot down by tanks, artillery and even infantry. Unfortunately this might be too much health, as i'd risk two issues if keeping the changes- namely that the AI would spam these OP planes, and that they would become the new Jeeps.. What's more - the game started to CTD when exiting out of the custom battles after they were won..

I really did like the result of the battle though.. I used the USA with ten B-17 Heavy Bombers and ten fighters - against Germany's new much more powerful Tiger 1 and Tiger 2 with ten of each tank- the projectiles of the Tiger 1 and the Tiger 2 are much better and will cause a small explosion when it hits. It can kill a tank in one shot. The result of the battle? Tanks lost and only killed about 3% of the planes. Yes- some planes died but most didn't.

Now, i tried to lower the health to 4, 4 which is still better than the old 2, 2- and would be equal to the German Mause-tank. But the issue with the CTD remained after exiting out of the custom battles. Only by restoring the old stats of the planes did the issue disappear. I saw though that some of the planes had very odd health numbers like 2, 2s instead of 2, 2- and i had replaced the 2, 2s with 4, 4 and earlier 6, 6 - i'm thinking maybe if i keep the "s" at the end the CTD might not happen. If it works by keeping the s as in "4, 4s" then i will give all the planes higher health. Of course they are weaker than with 6, 6 and would lose more planes than 3%- it was either 11% or 21% lost.

But this is still better than you know the planes losing to the tanks like what happened originally.

I've played a German Campaign for a few hours to try the mod out, as i got disappointed about the whole navy-thing and decided to just play without doing anything more for now. Originally i wanted to record the game but i didn't trust the stability anymore.. So i wanted to first play a testplay in order to find out if the dreaded CTD that can't be passed is back despite the removal of the navies. I hope not but sometimes it happens late such as in 1945 and not earlier.

I did take printscreens while playing though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 04-16-06-445.jpg   RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 04-18-30-032.jpg   RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 04-16-26-131.jpg   RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 11-25-25-214.jpg   RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 11-25-32-473.jpg  

RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 11-59-12-428.jpg   RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 11-59-59-499.jpg   RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 12-05-34-995.jpg   RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 12-09-51-418.jpg   RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 12-19-21-920.jpg  

Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 16, 2020 at 07:07 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

I have started a let's play now of an unreleased version with some personal modifications.

"I'm playing Total War: 1942 Version 1.9 (not 2.0- due to being unfinished i think as the mod is still missing the custom settlements for other factions than germany.) and it has all the new German custom settlements in battle, and on the strategic map- Berlin is still unfinished.

I'm starting a let's play as Germany.

The mod is based upon the second world war, and is a mod for Rome Total War: Barbarian Invasion - but it will work with the ordinary Rome: Total War as well. I just believe that ship battles do not work with the original and they are only for historical and custom battles.

I've made some personal modifications to this version as well- such as fixed the code in the export_descr_unit-file for the ships on the strategic map - as they had faulthy coding copied from the battle-models. I changed the code to how strat-map ships look in other mods and this fixed a gamelock that would force the player to exit the mod when autoresolving most ship-battles on the strategic map.

I've also nerfed the Jeep Bodyguards, made Planes better than tanks, changed the projectiles for most tanks to be more varied, added strat-map fleets and navies to the campaign from the start and based upon real navies during 1942- for all the main powers.

More has ben done including removing all the triggers for traits in the EDCT-file, as this was needed and required to be able to finish a campaign without having a re-occuring CTD at a certain point in 1945. The campaign goes on between 1942 and 1954 with 24 turns per year."

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 24, 2020 at 10:37 PM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Four new videos of me playing the unreleased version of Total War: 1942 as Germany- with the German custom settlements and personal tweaks.

Edit:

Youtuber M has remade the Rome Total War 2 Hannibal trailer - using Hearts of Iron 3 for it's worldmap, and Total War: 1942 for it's battles. It only has 7 views but it's pretty good i think.

Last edited by Mr_Nygren; February 10, 2020 at 10:38 AM.

- The Havamal

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

For Jets, I'm not so sure Germany should be the only one with wartime jets. Britain also had them during the war:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Meteor

Anyway: I was wondering how you guys got the artillery to work as it does: do you guys mod the animations proper? if so, I could use the expertise required to make my own gun animations, for my own Seven Years War mod.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

Quote Originally Posted by Gen.jamesWolfe View Post
    For Jets, I'm not so sure Germany should be the only one with wartime jets. Britain also had them during the war:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Meteor

Anyway: I was wondering how you guys got the artillery to work as it does: do you guys mod the animations proper? if so, I could use the expertise required to make my own gun animations, for my own Seven Years War mod.
    Interesting text about the British jets. However, i'm not convinced they saw combat in Europe and they seem to have been in the air only in prototype form before the end of the war. A few might have seen action, but Germany had actual scuadrons of the Jets- plus we are out of mount slots now. In all documentaries they are stating Germany were first to get them into actual air combat during the war, and i've not seen anything about the Gloster Meteor having any kind of impact. There exists recorded video of the American pilots being shocked at the German Jet though "What the hell was that"-their crew said as the ME262 flew past them.

Britain had Jets but they didn't have much of an impact before the end of the war. Germany at least took down about 700 allied planes with 50 ME262 jets. Of course they couldn't win as the allies had about 7k planes at that stage.

You do need to write to Dagovax Sirrianus over at the MODDB.com page. He isn't very active here, and he is the guy making all the animations for 1942 and Star Wars.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; March 03, 2020 at 05:33 AM.

- The Havamal

I've uploaded a new part of my German let's play.

I have started to manually control the German armies in battle now. Previously in the first 7 parts of this let's play i would let the AI control the armies in battle - but in this episode i am doing things myself and it was actually fun. Only some broken infantry might be put under AI control from time to time. I am blitzing the Soviets, after they have been forcing me back all the way to Warszaw during 1942. The year is not over yet and the counterattack has started.

- The Havamal

Last edited by alexandre dumas; April 09, 2020 at 09:53 PM. Reason: adding info to video

Really cool videos man! Do you plan to release historical battles?

- The Havamal

yes

I have some files to share that will update the currently released version to a more balanced and better version. It still won't have custom settlements, because i don't have permission to share those. But it does have other stuff.

Updated EDU for the released version. Place in your data-folder of Total War: 1942.

Changes:

1. Nerfed Jeeps, as they have now 2, 2 in hit points they can take instead of 10, 10.

2. Stronger Planes that are better than their tank counterparts- have 3, 3 HP instead of 2, 2 as in the past.

3. Fixed the ships on the strat-map so they will no longer gamelock after most ship battles. Happened for the AI as well.

4. New projectiles for many tanks to make a bigger difference between the later tanks and the early.

Updated EDB for the released version of Total War: 1942. Place in the data-folder of 1942.

Changes:

1. Re-added the missing Italian Commandos, Mause tanks and Waffen SS infantry to the recruitment. Waffen SS infantry now recruitable from the SS Headquarters only.

2. Remade the recruitment slightly to make the later artillery, tanks and planes buildable only in the later barracks. All the fighter planes are available from the airstrip though for all the factions. This is done because the planes are better than tanks and factions need to be able to take out tanks if they lack tanks themselves. Also, all the factions had fighters in 1942.

Updated descr_strat for the released version of Total War: 1942. Place in data/world/maps/campaign/barbarian_invasion of your 1942 mod.

Changes:

1. Added strat-map ships as starting navies to all the main factions based on historically accurate locations and fleets.

2. Lowered certain buildings in cities to delay the arrival of the best tanks and planes. They start on the first one. Will be a slower pace. As i wanted the Mause, Tigers and such to come later.And not arrive in 1942.

I added some hidden resources to the updated descr_regions-file. Place in data/world/maps/campaign/barbarian_invasion of your 1942 mod.

Made the Mause only available in Germany or Berlin.

An additional change that i did for myself that i highly recommend if you play any of the main powers, is the background-script.

Updated Background-script for the released version (optional):

Changes:

Soviet starting armies can move and will go on the offensive immediately.

Germany will otherwise always conquer Italy, Bulgaria, Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Romania and then beat Soviet.

If Soviet can move all their stuff Germany might actually have a contender. And as the player it's a challenge. The Soviets might still loose but now it's more even and uncertain.

I do know that Soviet will take Romania and such in some playthroughs. Not the best if you want to play the minor factions as Soviet is way too strong. Germany can still win but will now focus their forces on the Soviet Union and leave Turkey and Bulgaria alone. They might still conquer Romania if betrayed, and Italy. But it won't happen until maybe 1943-44. All in all Germany is busy in the east and will not conquer it's smaller allies like before unless betrayed. Of course if the player is playing them Germany might attack.

But this will prevent Nazi Germany from steamrolling the map. They are still stronger than the Soviets in some campaigns due to Soviet being split in half.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; April 10, 2020 at 08:46 PM.

- The Havamal

Last edited by alexandre dumas; May 01, 2020 at 01:26 PM. Reason: YouTube embedding added.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12