Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total War : 1942

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Re: Total War : 1942

I've been doing some work on this mod for the entire night, morning and day- but sadly Rome: Total War likes to mess with the Modder every now and then as the CTD in the campaign randomly returns if editing the descr_strat even slightly.

As an example: I spent hours adding fleets and navies to all the main factions- and the game seemed to run just fine! - But then after a few turns in after i had finished modding them in plus done additional changes to other files, the mod decided to CTD on the AI's turn, and no matter how many times i loaded it- it happened again at the same spot..

But when removing some of the Navies the mod didn't CTD immediately so i thought the navy of the British Commonwealth, Vichy France, Japanese Empire and the remnants of the US fleet did work.. I even managed to reach 1945 with Italy's fleet added in.. But then at one point i couldn't continue the campaign that ran smoothly after the first two or three crashes, because it would gamelock and then CTD after each time i clicked next turn after returning to the game and loading the save.

I had no choice but to remove all the work i had done which sucked. The RTW AI is smart enough to move troops around, and they did act like in real history- it was interesting to see Japan facing the British in Asia, while Italy/Vichy/Germany faced Britain in the European theatre. Sadly i had to remove the fleets and without them they rarely build enough ships to actually use them that much. I wanted to have more action at sea while also making them jump from isle to isle- something the AI did do with ships when they had a big enough navy.

Unlike in Medieval 2: Total War: Kingdoms any change in the descr_strat seems to up stability. While in Med2 i can change the same stuff without CTD or bugs. Very annoying and one reason why Med2 is much easier to mod in my opinion. In RTW it always ctd no matter what one does.

Or almost, because i did also do the following changes and they do work:

1. Added the new custom settlements on the strat-map and in battle everywhere after getting a tip from Dagovax on what file i should edit.

2. Reduced the Jeep Bodyguards health from 10, 10 to 2, 2 like the BMW Motorcycles- they no longer win against a full army by themselves and will now be beaten by more than three other mechanized units. Maybe even less.

3. Changed the projectiles for all the tanks- Light Tanks are using the small shell, medium tanks are using the medium shell and early heavy tanks are using the large shell -and unlike before there are a lot of light and medium tanks who have better projectiles. Instead of the Panzer IV using the small shell it is now using the medium - instead of the Panzer 1 using medium it is now using small etc.

Tiger 1, Tiger 2, IS-2, IS-3 and the French futuristic tank that were never finished at the end of the war - are all now using the 1 Barrel cruiser missile. The turrets of these tanks look like ship-turrets- and the Tigers did actually use ex-ship turrets for their turrets.

- The Mause-tank has the large shell and is available in the recruitment using hidden resources -from Berlin only.

- Jets are buildable from Germany but nowhere else.

- Waffen SS are available from Germany only.

Dagovax had edited these units out in the 1.3.2 version, as he wanted to create special buildings for them - but that is still to be done.

I did do the work of giving all the planes 6, 6 in Health instead of 2, 2- this i did in order for them not to be so easily shot down by tanks, artillery and even infantry. Unfortunately this might be too much health, as i'd risk two issues if keeping the changes- namely that the AI would spam these OP planes, and that they would become the new Jeeps.. What's more - the game started to CTD when exiting out of the custom battles after they were won..

I really did like the result of the battle though.. I used the USA with ten B-17 Heavy Bombers and ten fighters - against Germany's new much more powerful Tiger 1 and Tiger 2 with ten of each tank- the projectiles of the Tiger 1 and the Tiger 2 are much better and will cause a small explosion when it hits. It can kill a tank in one shot. The result of the battle? Tanks lost and only killed about 3% of the planes. Yes- some planes died but most didn't.

Now, i tried to lower the health to 4, 4 which is still better than the old 2, 2- and would be equal to the German Mause-tank. But the issue with the CTD remained after exiting out of the custom battles. Only by restoring the old stats of the planes did the issue disappear. I saw though that some of the planes had very odd health numbers like 2, 2s instead of 2, 2- and i had replaced the 2, 2s with 4, 4 and earlier 6, 6 - i'm thinking maybe if i keep the "s" at the end the CTD might not happen. If it works by keeping the s as in "4, 4s" then i will give all the planes higher health. Of course they are weaker than with 6, 6 and would lose more planes than 3%- it was either 11% or 21% lost.

But this is still better than you know the planes losing to the tanks like what happened originally.

I've played a German Campaign for a few hours to try the mod out, as i got disappointed about the whole navy-thing and decided to just play without doing anything more for now. Originally i wanted to record the game but i didn't trust the stability anymore.. So i wanted to first play a testplay in order to find out if the dreaded CTD that can't be passed is back despite the removal of the navies. I hope not but sometimes it happens late such as in 1945 and not earlier.

I did take printscreens while playing though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 04-16-06-445.jpg   RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 04-18-30-032.jpg   RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 04-16-26-131.jpg   RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 11-25-25-214.jpg   RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 11-25-32-473.jpg  

RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 11-59-12-428.jpg   RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 11-59-59-499.jpg   RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 12-05-34-995.jpg   RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 12-09-51-418.jpg   RomeTW-BI 2020-01-16 12-19-21-920.jpg  

Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 16, 2020 at 07:07 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

I have started a let's play now of an unreleased version with some personal modifications.

"I'm playing Total War: 1942 Version 1.9 (not 2.0- due to being unfinished i think as the mod is still missing the custom settlements for other factions than germany.) and it has all the new German custom settlements in battle, and on the strategic map- Berlin is still unfinished.

I'm starting a let's play as Germany.

The mod is based upon the second world war, and is a mod for Rome Total War: Barbarian Invasion - but it will work with the ordinary Rome: Total War as well. I just believe that ship battles do not work with the original and they are only for historical and custom battles.

I've made some personal modifications to this version as well- such as fixed the code in the export_descr_unit-file for the ships on the strategic map - as they had faulthy coding copied from the battle-models. I changed the code to how strat-map ships look in other mods and this fixed a gamelock that would force the player to exit the mod when autoresolving most ship-battles on the strategic map.

I've also nerfed the Jeep Bodyguards, made Planes better than tanks, changed the projectiles for most tanks to be more varied, added strat-map fleets and navies to the campaign from the start and based upon real navies during 1942- for all the main powers.

More has ben done including removing all the triggers for traits in the EDCT-file, as this was needed and required to be able to finish a campaign without having a re-occuring CTD at a certain point in 1945. The campaign goes on between 1942 and 1954 with 24 turns per year."

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 24, 2020 at 10:37 PM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Four new videos of me playing the unreleased version of Total War: 1942 as Germany- with the German custom settlements and personal tweaks.

Edit:

Youtuber M has remade the Rome Total War 2 Hannibal trailer - using Hearts of Iron 3 for it's worldmap, and Total War: 1942 for it's battles. It only has 7 views but it's pretty good i think.

Last edited by Mr_Nygren; February 10, 2020 at 10:38 AM.

- The Havamal

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

For Jets, I'm not so sure Germany should be the only one with wartime jets. Britain also had them during the war:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Meteor

Anyway: I was wondering how you guys got the artillery to work as it does: do you guys mod the animations proper? if so, I could use the expertise required to make my own gun animations, for my own Seven Years War mod.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

Quote Originally Posted by Gen.jamesWolfe View Post
    For Jets, I'm not so sure Germany should be the only one with wartime jets. Britain also had them during the war:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Meteor

Anyway: I was wondering how you guys got the artillery to work as it does: do you guys mod the animations proper? if so, I could use the expertise required to make my own gun animations, for my own Seven Years War mod.
    Interesting text about the British jets. However, i'm not convinced they saw combat in Europe and they seem to have been in the air only in prototype form before the end of the war. A few might have seen action, but Germany had actual scuadrons of the Jets- plus we are out of mount slots now. In all documentaries they are stating Germany were first to get them into actual air combat during the war, and i've not seen anything about the Gloster Meteor having any kind of impact. There exists recorded video of the American pilots being shocked at the German Jet though "What the hell was that"-their crew said as the ME262 flew past them.

Britain had Jets but they didn't have much of an impact before the end of the war. Germany at least took down about 700 allied planes with 50 ME262 jets. Of course they couldn't win as the allies had about 7k planes at that stage.

You do need to write to Dagovax Sirrianus over at the MODDB.com page. He isn't very active here, and he is the guy making all the animations for 1942 and Star Wars.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; March 03, 2020 at 05:33 AM.

- The Havamal

I've uploaded a new part of my German let's play.

I have started to manually control the German armies in battle now. Previously in the first 7 parts of this let's play i would let the AI control the armies in battle - but in this episode i am doing things myself and it was actually fun. Only some broken infantry might be put under AI control from time to time. I am blitzing the Soviets, after they have been forcing me back all the way to Warszaw during 1942. The year is not over yet and the counterattack has started.

- The Havamal

Last edited by alexandre dumas; April 09, 2020 at 09:53 PM. Reason: adding info to video

Really cool videos man! Do you plan to release historical battles?

- The Havamal

yes

I have some files to share that will update the currently released version to a more balanced and better version. It still won't have custom settlements, because i don't have permission to share those. But it does have other stuff.

Updated EDU for the released version. Place in your data-folder of Total War: 1942.

Changes:

1. Nerfed Jeeps, as they have now 2, 2 in hit points they can take instead of 10, 10.

2. Stronger Planes that are better than their tank counterparts- have 3, 3 HP instead of 2, 2 as in the past.

3. Fixed the ships on the strat-map so they will no longer gamelock after most ship battles. Happened for the AI as well.

4. New projectiles for many tanks to make a bigger difference between the later tanks and the early.

Updated EDB for the released version of Total War: 1942. Place in the data-folder of 1942.

Changes:

1. Re-added the missing Italian Commandos, Mause tanks and Waffen SS infantry to the recruitment. Waffen SS infantry now recruitable from the SS Headquarters only.

2. Remade the recruitment slightly to make the later artillery, tanks and planes buildable only in the later barracks. All the fighter planes are available from the airstrip though for all the factions. This is done because the planes are better than tanks and factions need to be able to take out tanks if they lack tanks themselves. Also, all the factions had fighters in 1942.

Updated descr_strat for the released version of Total War: 1942. Place in data/world/maps/campaign/barbarian_invasion of your 1942 mod.

Changes:

1. Added strat-map ships as starting navies to all the main factions based on historically accurate locations and fleets.

2. Lowered certain buildings in cities to delay the arrival of the best tanks and planes. They start on the first one. Will be a slower pace. As i wanted the Mause, Tigers and such to come later.And not arrive in 1942.

I added some hidden resources to the updated descr_regions-file. Place in data/world/maps/campaign/barbarian_invasion of your 1942 mod.

Made the Mause only available in Germany or Berlin.

An additional change that i did for myself that i highly recommend if you play any of the main powers, is the background-script.

Updated Background-script for the released version (optional):

Changes:

Soviet starting armies can move and will go on the offensive immediately.

Germany will otherwise always conquer Italy, Bulgaria, Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Romania and then beat Soviet.

If Soviet can move all their stuff Germany might actually have a contender. And as the player it's a challenge. The Soviets might still loose but now it's more even and uncertain.

I do know that Soviet will take Romania and such in some playthroughs. Not the best if you want to play the minor factions as Soviet is way too strong. Germany can still win but will now focus their forces on the Soviet Union and leave Turkey and Bulgaria alone. They might still conquer Romania if betrayed, and Italy. But it won't happen until maybe 1943-44. All in all Germany is busy in the east and will not conquer it's smaller allies like before unless betrayed. Of course if the player is playing them Germany might attack.

But this will prevent Nazi Germany from steamrolling the map. They are still stronger than the Soviets in some campaigns due to Soviet being split in half.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; April 10, 2020 at 08:46 PM.

- The Havamal

Last edited by alexandre dumas; May 01, 2020 at 01:26 PM. Reason: YouTube embedding added.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    I have some files to share that will update the currently released version to a more balanced and better version. It still won't have custom settlements, because i don't have permission to share those. But it does have other stuff.

Updated EDU for the released version. Place in your data-folder of Total War: 1942.

Changes:

1. Nerfed Jeeps, as they have now 2, 2 in hit points they can take instead of 10, 10.

2. Stronger Planes that are better than their tank counterparts- have 3, 3 HP instead of 2, 2 as in the past.

3. Fixed the ships on the strat-map so they will no longer gamelock after most ship battles. Happened for the AI as well.

4. New projectiles for many tanks to make a bigger difference between the later tanks and the early.

Updated EDB for the released version of Total War: 1942. Place in the data-folder of 1942.

Changes:

1. Re-added the missing Italian Commandos, Mause tanks and Waffen SS infantry to the recruitment. Waffen SS infantry now recruitable from the SS Headquarters only.

2. Remade the recruitment slightly to make the later artillery, tanks and planes buildable only in the later barracks. All the fighter planes are available from the airstrip though for all the factions. This is done because the planes are better than tanks and factions need to be able to take out tanks if they lack tanks themselves. Also, all the factions had fighters in 1942.

Updated descr_strat for the released version of Total War: 1942. Place in data/world/maps/campaign/barbarian_invasion of your 1942 mod.

Changes:

1. Added strat-map ships as starting navies to all the main factions based on historically accurate locations and fleets.

2. Lowered certain buildings in cities to delay the arrival of the best tanks and planes. They start on the first one. Will be a slower pace. As i wanted the Mause, Tigers and such to come later.And not arrive in 1942.

I added some hidden resources to the updated descr_regions-file. Place in data/world/maps/campaign/barbarian_invasion of your 1942 mod.

Made the Mause only available in Germany or Berlin.

An additional change that i did for myself that i highly recommend if you play any of the main powers, is the background-script.

Updated Background-script for the released version (optional):

Changes:

Soviet starting armies can move and will go on the offensive immediately.

Germany will otherwise always conquer Italy, Bulgaria, Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Romania and then beat Soviet.

If Soviet can move all their stuff Germany might actually have a contender. And as the player it's a challenge. The Soviets might still loose but now it's more even and uncertain.

I do know that Soviet will take Romania and such in some playthroughs. Not the best if you want to play the minor factions as Soviet is way too strong. Germany can still win but will now focus their forces on the Soviet Union and leave Turkey and Bulgaria alone. They might still conquer Romania if betrayed, and Italy. But it won't happen until maybe 1943-44. All in all Germany is busy in the east and will not conquer it's smaller allies like before unless betrayed. Of course if the player is playing them Germany might attack.

But this will prevent Nazi Germany from steamrolling the map. They are still stronger than the Soviets in some campaigns due to Soviet being split in half.

Thanks for the patch, Mr_Nygren. However, I can't seem to get the 1942 campaign to work after applying these files. Install order: 1942 v1.0, patch 1.1 FIX, patch 1.2, 1.3 and finally this. I believe this is the correct order? Loads fine but when I click Play Campaign and choose a nation, it just returns me to previous RTW menu. Checked to be sure, with all other patches campaign loads fine. After applying this one (I made sure it's correct - the 1942 dir), the issue is now present. Please upload a potential fix or at least share some advise what to do!

I have played 6 new episodes of my German campaign (it's drawing to a close), I've uploaded one episode of an AI-only campaign and Dagovax Sirrianus has finished Berlin - the Capital of the Third Reich - as well as finished the Italian Town, Large_Town and City among other thngs.

- The Havamal

Updates:

Dagovax Sirrianus did complete Berlin back in august:

New Centurion Mk7 British tank:

New Shintoism ideology/religion:

New Katyusha missiles:

New outline for the Paris custom settlement:

Almost completed Paris custom settlement uploaded on october 22 on the Discord:

New European Campaign:

Dagovax also did enable night battles for the European Campaign - with cool lights in the buildings:

Paris itself during night:

Also, finally Vichy France has become a hording faction in the European Campaign:

- The Havamal

Here's the latest updates for this mod:

New Panzerjager Tiger (P) Ferdinand!

The Third Reich has a new Ferdinand mobile-artillery unit.

New British "Tortoise" mobile-artillery!

The British Commonwealth/Empire has a new mobile-artillery unit - the Tortoise!

New British "Cromwell" medium tank!

The British Commonwealth of Nations previously only had a Matilda/Mark II light tank and a Churchill heavy tank - this is the new Cromwell medium tank!

British Centurion MK7 Post-War Heavy tank.

The British Centurion MK7 was a British heavy tank used extensively post-war. As the mod is spanning the period 1942-1954 (main campaign) and 1939-1951 (European Campaign) the tank fits in the time-period.

Germany also has access to the Mause Tank that was never used during the war - and only had one or two prototypes created.

New WZ-111-1-4 People's Republic of China Heavy Tank!

So the People's Republic of China has a new heavy tank - the WZ-111-1-4 - which is a modified version of the Soviet IS-2 Heavy Tank that they provided to the Communists in China during the late war and in the civil war.

The French Republic/Free French have Spitfires now as well!

So British Spitfires have been added to the Free French, better named as the French Republic during the new European campaign taking place between 1939 and 1951.

Their old Dewoitine plane was the worst fighter in the game, and with the British Spitfire the faction will be stronger in the European Campaign.

New AMX-13 French Post-War light tanks!

The AMX-13 is a French light tank built between 1953 and 1987. So the French have the Renault FT light tank of the 20's and 30's, the Somua medium tank of the 30's, and then they do have a heavy tank that started production in the late war and of which only 60 were ever built.

This tank is a 1950's light tank so it's better than the other light tanks. However, the fact that it was produced up until 1987 is interesting.

American T95 mobile-artillery added!

So the United States of America has a new mobile-artillery unit - the T95.

M46 Patton late Medium Tank added to the USA.

So the USA had the T1 Cunningham late 20's and early 30's light tank that only ever was in prototype stage, they had the M4 Sherman which was their main battle-tank during WW2 - a medium tank of the late 30's or early 1940's - then finally they had their heavy tank that I believe is named K29 or something - a tank that started development in late 1944 after the Americans faced the Tiger II.

The new tank here is better than the heavy tank, and is considered a medium tank despite being slightly bigger than the other heavy tank - it is the tank that actually replaced the Sherman as the main tank of the US.

The heavy tank mentioned earlier never got completed I think.

Munster is the German Large Town in custom battle!

So the custom settlement large town is used as "Munster" in the custom battles.

Dresden is the German city in the custom battles!

So Dresden is now using the custom settlement city of Germany, and the city has been remade and has bigger gates now as compared to in my let's play - the tanks would get stuck in my let's play and could hardly exit and/or enter the city - now the gates are big enough for them to move easily through the gates.

Munich is the German Large City in the custom battles!

So Munich is now used as the Large City custom settlement of Germany.

The new Berlin custom settlement of Germany has been added to the custom battles

Berlin is playable in the custom battles in the coming release of Total War: 1942 - it's currently not released.

The settlement didn't crash on huge settings when I used two fully sized armies - but it did sadly crash when I had four Soviet attacking armies and three German defending armies - so it can crash if there are too many armies fighting in it.

A new Western Warfront Campaign set in Europe in the coming release!

A new campaign set in Europe only is coming to the next release of Total War: 1942 - it starts in 1939 and will end in 1954.

European Campaign Faction Selection screen!

So these are the playable factions in the new European Campaign - all the factions like Poland, Greece, Yugoslavia, Belgium, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands and Sweden etc will be rebels on the map - because we aren't releasing another upload - this campaign is still a part of the main mod and as such has the same factions.

This means that the new campaign won't have any new factions, but instead will have lots of rebel territory in those areas where defeated factions would be.

Also, the main factions will probably have some rebel areas in their territory as well to slow down their advance and aid the smaller factions. Historical accuracy isn't the main focus of this campaign, it's more of a sandbox.

A new European map with new Italian strat-model cities!

The new map of the European Campaign has a lot of new more detailed terrain. And the Italian Empire have new strat-model cities. They do also have battle-model cities for their town, large town and city.

No faction in the game have villages, and unlike Germany and France the huge city will not be used - instead the large city will be Rome itself.

France in the European Campaign with a Paris strat-model!

So France in the new European Campaign is much more detailed in it's terrain. Also, a strat-model of the capital Paris is finished.

Germany in the new European Campaign is a lot smaller!

Germany in the new campaign is a lot smaller than in the main 1942 campaign - now with strat-models for their cities and towns including Berlin itself.

Paris - the capital of the French Republic - has been finished recently!

So this is Paris, the capital city of the French Republic - Dagovax Sirrianus has also finished the other cities of the French. But he isn't done with the strat-models yet - only the Paris strat-model has been completed.

- The Havamal

Hello guys, so Dagovax Sirrianus has released the final Version 2.0 of this mod for Rome: Total War and Barbarian Invasion - there will be no more releases on the original RTW-engine.

Dagovax is porting everything to Total War Rome - Remastered.

The 2.0 version has everything previewed in the post from November 2020 plus som additional stuff. Unfortunately the Main Campaign is unstable and will probably not be playable as such. The new European smaller campaign should be more stable hopefully. Custom battles should work fine unless you use huge size in the new cities of Berlin or Paris which could cause the mod to CTD.

We're hoping that the mod will have a more stable main campaign on the Remaster.

Unfortunately the mod became unstable and we've been unable to find a solution in the main WW2 campaign.

Release 2.0, the latest official full release including all extended content from the latest patches.

Total War: 1942 version 2.0!

As development is now continueing on the Rome: Total War Remastered (RR), this version is the full latest version, including the work on custom settlements like provided and promised in the videos.

Instructions:
    0) NOTE: If you already have earlier version of Total War: 1942 installed, please remove the '1942' and completely reinstall this complete version!1) Extract all the content to the root of your Rome: Total War version. The folder "1942" should be at the same folder height as the executables.
    2) Run the movie swapper to get our intro movies. (run it again to swap old intro back)
    3) After extracting, open the Total War - 1942.exe and start playing! If you don't own BI by default, you can use the Rome Total War Mod Launcher to launch the mod.

Please not that the old Total War - 1942 Launcher should not be used anymore, as it is out of function. Don't run the launcher as it might revert back to an older update. Delete the executable to make sure you don't get any problems using the old installer.

Download-link:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/total-war...0-full-version

Last edited by Mr_Nygren; June 26, 2021 at 07:13 PM.

- The Havamal

Total war: 1942 Version 1.3-1.9 - I made a submod of the "2.0"-release that I received from Dagovax Sirrianus in January of 2020 due to being a member of the team. This version was very incomplete compared to the later 2.0/2.01 release that Dagovax Sirrianus indeed did release in the summer of 2021. It's also the version that I played when I did a let's play as the Third Reich in 2020 which ended with my total defeat in 1945 when Berlin fell and the Fuhrer got killed. - Unlike in real history Erwin Rommel did survive (the heir) and the Japanese Empire achieved their goals in Asia because the USA never intervened.

Anyway, I did promise to improve this version of the mod before playing it again as a different faction and I did - why not play version 2.0/2.01 you'd ask? Well, because it had a re-occurring crash to desktop at a certain turn all the time.. It were impossible to play it. So in October this year I moved over everything that I could to the stable older version. Below is my report from October this year 2021:

Fixed recruitment that were not in the game. Because I had placed the best stuff in the unused fifth tier leading to me not being able to recruit them in my campaign as the Third Reich in 2020.. Maximum number of soldiers in the EDU =60 - this is old news. But the maximum number of vehicles are "6" - that's not 6 in the battle. The number is the maximum number of extras in the EDU. I've maxed out all the units. Almost all with some exceptions.

I'd decided to move down all the units to the fourth building. Instead of using the 5th Circus Maximus! Because it was still vanilla. And probably not connected to any custom building in battle. The old version that I'm playing has the German cities in battle! But is lacking the finished capital city of Berlin itself. And is lacking the French/Italian cities. I've added the new units to it - but I have no idea how to add the cities..

I've managed to add the new projectiles and the new units - including the recruitment.

I tried some battles. I can say that playing the game with the maximum unit numbers is amazing on the field. It finally looked like WW2-scale! When the army is standing in deployment it looks like one of those scenes from WW2. But it worked poorly in sieges. As I can hardly move the infantry. And the tanks and other vehicles drive them over all the time - causing a chaos! I will need to lower them down a bit.. To find a balance between sieges and the field. But in the field it looked epic with the maximum numbers. I've moved over every unit, every animation and every projectile from version 2.01. I did return the planes to the older animations because in my opinion it's boring to play sieges with your new animations. The planes would just stand outside in a row shooting at the enemy and being shot at by the bunkers.. In the old version they'd enter the city immediately moving quickly past the bunkers and taking zero losses - and then they'd fight in the sky above the city! The main difference is that by replacing the animation-files (needed for the Ferdinand etc) all the fighter-planes got the updated animation. And I did give them the one in use by the bombers but it's slower than the old fighter-animation. I do enjoy battles where the AI is controlling planes - and I do prefer them moving around instead of standing still in the air.

Huge size in battles on the battlefield is epic in custom battles and int he campaign - however siege battles do not work well on huge due to pathfinding-issues for the infantry:

At maximum unit-size the mod is epic on the battlefield. But sieges do not work properly - so I had to change it down to large. Because infantry didn't follow orders when ordered to go into a city. As the AI they did - but not as the player. It looked awesome in the deployment phase and in the custom battles. However, having more than two armies caused lag - so I thought it better to play on large. Large is now 120 in a unit instead of 80 as in the official release. So it's still bigger than previously! Normal is 60 so that's 20 less than old huge. This was huge when the Vichy-army reinforced:

Looks like WW2 but not fun in sieges, and too many means more than 2 armies = lag. Planes in huge:

Finlands army on huge size in the custom battles:

Carnage after the battle between Soviet and Finland:

It didn't lag on huge in one vs one. So field-battles were epic if only fielding 2 armies. I tried 4 and it would lag. Updated Britain with your latest units:

Tried a campaign and just clicked "end turn" as the USA - Japan actually took this isle:

I've fixed japan. They still won but they own far from all the areas in Asia and one can continue to play until the end of the campaign without CTD happening all the time at the same turn. The USA is doing well in Asia! They march up through Singapore. Conquer Thailand. Join up with Britain. Fight China and Japan both at once. The Republic of China (Guomintang) did way better - up until this point. India was crushed by Britain.. Armies can move the maximum action point number now.. The campaign is more like a blitzkrieg! Fitting for the timeline.

Pictures:

I changed the victory conditions. They no longer need to defeat factions on isles as that is almost impossible for the AI in RTW or Medieval II. The AI can never do that.. That's why Japan won despite owning very few areas in China! When I clicked to continue play the Germans won as well.. But the Germans are still OP! I'd need to make Soviet better!

The issue with Soviet is that they are fighting all of the Reich at once with only half of their country - and they cannot utilize their armies in the East because they're separated by the map to the other side of the planet - there is no land-bridge between the Soviets in the West and the Soviets in the East, but this was also necessary due to Japan and the United States needing to be close to each other - otherwise Japan and the USA would start on opposite ends of the map.. Unfortunately this would result in the war between AI-controlled Germany and AI-controlled Soviet ending with the Soviets losing - as they cannot move the other half of their country to the West!

In real-time-battles Soviet wins as we saw in my Third Reich-campaign of 2020. Because they have many armies at the start in the West! But AI VS AI the Germans always win due to their superior units. So Japan has been fixed. But the Reich still needs a nerf.. The Allies crushed Japan in the Pacific but then the USA conquered my faction the League of Nations - Mexico and Colombia. So the League of Nation consists of only those two in the submod - and I used them to watch the AI fight.

Of course Japan is still holding their isles as the AI will never attack them.. You have to do that as the player! But Japan was crushed in Asia and in the Pacific! Even Soviet invaded Manchukuo (Japanese name of Manchuria,) and Korea. The AI became way better with the increased action points allowing it to move further each turn with the armies. So now they can move pretty far each turn just like in a blitzkrieg!

South America Conquered by AI Portugal/Brazil:

They defeated the Chilean army and the Nazi-Argentine army. Rarely happens! Chile-Spain attacked Bogota held by the League of Nations played by me - usually it's the USA betraying me but this time the Spanish showed up.

The artillery gave the battles some realism! With destroyed buildings.. Much more fun when they take part in them. - As tanks and planes cannot attack buildings in RTW due to not being siege engines but elephants.

New gate:

Panzers/tanks/bikes and trucks no longer get stuck at the gate of the brick-walled settlements of the Reich (and of others):

The Republic of China won in Asia in my latest playtest - rarely happens - every faction has gotten tanks and planes now, and most factions do have both bombers and fighters while some smaller nations have only one plane-type:

And Soviet took Korea:

Mussolini/Italian Empire took France:

Germany were so busy fighting in the East that they had hardly any troops in the West which allowed Italy to conquer the West. Bulgaria, Romania and Italy as well as Turkey are still around in 1944 while Berlin has been conquered by the Soviet Union:

So I made the Soviets way stronger as the AI because the Third Reich won all the time. But I disliked how the Soviet Union would steamroll everyone when they had all their starting garrisons move-able at the start of the campaign if the player was playing the Reich. So I reimplemented the script forcing most of their starting armies to just stand as a wall against the Nazis. This resulted in them not being able to conquer the minor nations with all their armies at the start! While Germany still were forced to focus on their armies so they couldn't conquer the minor nations or Italy. It had a much better result on the campaign as a whole - the Soviets won't steamroll, and the Germans won't steamroll - instead they will focus on each other while the smaller nations are left alone. If the player is playing the smaller nations then I'm afraid they're going to invade you - but AI-controlled minor factions are now ignored in favor of the big war between the two dictatorships!

So the mod is ready! I hardly have any ctd on the map. Unfortunately in battle I've had random CTD near the end of battles.. But I've maxed out all the unit-numbers. I might need to return the old numbers.. In order to prevent that.. I remember when playing the German campaign with the old numbers that I still crashed in battle a few times.. But it's more common now I think.

It doesn't crash on the battlefield! Only in sieges randomly at the end of battles. Too many units together with the custom cities I presume is the cause. So it does probably reach a hardcoded limit when combining the numbers with the cities. Even though some battles haven't crashed!
    But it's irritating when you have killed 97% and then you get a crash So most of the battle always work. But at the end there can be issues randomly. I'll probably try to play with these numbers now! If I deem the CTD not frequent enough I'll keep this. Otherwise I'll restore all the numbers to the official release numbers! That should make it more stable in battle but less epic. Instead of 10 tanks I have like 20 or 40 in a unit. Instead of 80 soldiers I have 240.. Sorry 120 on large.. I crashed on large.. Old huge was 80! It's much more epic with 40 tanks instead of 10!

But the map is at least working fine! Just a matter of trimming down the numbers or playing the battles two times.. It'll hardly crash the second time!

Currently playtesting and recording! Already played the first part of my new campaign let's play as the United States of America:

Processing Part 4 now and it's more lengthy at 1 hour 44 minutes. The Capital of Malaya Kuala Lumpur is conquered by the USA from the Japanese Empire and all of the Philippines is liberated.

I also assemble the first great American fleet and an army is ready to be shipped to Casablanca in Africa.

Last edited by Mr_Nygren; December 30, 2021 at 05:45 AM.

- The Havamal

Total War: 1942 Version 1.9 for Rome: Total War and Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion (sea battles only work with Barbarian Invasion, and they're custom/historical battle only,) - but a submod for it with my personal changes such as improved stats of units, maxed-out unit numbers (large unit size is recommended because huge will be too many for the city-battles as the units can't follow commands due to stretching too much,) more factions in South America (Brazil represented by Portugal, Chile represented by Spain and Argentine represented by Germany,) Japan has an additional region on the map at the start, Britain has Calgary again, all the new units and projectiles of version 2.0 implemented, all the new animations except the plane-anims implemented, German cities (town, large_town, City and large_city) in use everywhere - no more vanilla settlements, a larger gate for the brick-wall, new German UI for the factions using the German culture and every faction has tanks and planes - most factions have both bombers and fighters.

Took me 2 weeks of constant work a few hours every day for the submod to be done back in October. Made it in October based on 1.3 where I moved over as much as I could from 2.0 because version 2.0 were unstable at the time. The mod will still crash randomly in battles and it's more common in siege battles due to the large numbers of troops and the demanding custom cities - if you use smaller unit size it will be less likely to CTD in sieges. Battlefield-battles rarely crash no matter what unit size you'd use. Even huge worked fine on the battlefield but would lag when they are too many.

Crash to desktop when ending turns can happen rarely but unlike in 2.0 it shouldn't happen all the time. You can just restart the mod and continue when that happens. If a battle crash chances are that it won't CTD the second time.

Always make two or three saves:

Usa 01
    USA 02
    USA 03

And overwrite the oldest one at the bottom.

Saved-games can get corrupted so always use more than one save. Don't trust in autosaves. Quicksaves are less stable than ordinary manual saves.

Save the mod before and after every battle. That's what I've learnt to do in every mod if I do not wish to replay stuff prior to a battle, or the battle itself - again.. If a battle does CTD then just replay it once and it should be fine. You can also use the auto_win cheat. I played a German campaign in 2020 in an older version of this mod and it never crashed two times in the same battle.

CTD when ending turns just means you can restart the mod and load the autosave and then continue. It won't crash again.

Installation:

Drop the mod in the RTW-folder and then move out the 1942.exe from the 1942-folder and drop it into the RTW-folder - then start it by double-clicking on it.

With Steam it's the usual steps.

Don't forget to patch the .exe-files of the RTW-game and its expansions plus the 1942.exe with the large address aware patch.

I plan on doing similar changes to the latest release if Saloth-Sar indeed fixed the gamebreaking CTD which I'm very hopeful he has managed to do.

He released the fix a few days after I was finished with my submod.

Download-link to my Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GYY...ew?usp=sharing

Credits for Total War: 1942 - Dagovax Sirianus & Saloth-Sar - with some minor contributions by Mr_Nygren.

Submod of alpha-2.0 which I call 1.9 - Mr_Nygren.

Edit: I made a mistake and uploaded a backup of my submod that was 1 day older than the most recent version. I thought they were the same because the size were the same - but the recent version had an altered descr_strat-file and backgroundscripts-file.

Second Edit:

Delete this highlighted EDU-file. It's obsolete and was probably placed there because of backup-reasons. I did forget to remove it.

Last edited by Mr_Nygren; December 31, 2021 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Uploaded a one day old backup - re-download.

- The Havamal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12