Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Are liberals intolerant?

Senator

Default Re: Are liberals intolerant?

Demanding liberals tolerate hate and awfulness is the conservative hot-take we didn't really need, but was pretty much inevitable by this point.
    If I had to choose between betraying my friends and betraying my country, I hope I would have the guts to betray my country.

So you think people who disagree with your politics are all just awful, "hateful" people who should be shunned or worse?

Have you considered the possibility, that it is people who think this way who are the real awful, hateful people?
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

For disagreeing with ones politics? No, that is a broad spectrum of political thought and could mean a lot of things. For abiding by specific politics; absolutely, there are multiple forms of political thought that are incredibly cruel and abhorrent.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    For disagreeing with ones politics? No, that is a broad spectrum of political thought and could mean a lot of things. For abiding by specific politics; absolutely, there are multiple forms of political thought that are incredibly cruel and abhorrent.
    Does being a Republican, or a mainstream conservative, or supporting Trump fall under that?

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Legend View Post
    Does being a Republican, or a mainstream conservative, or supporting Trump fall under that?
    Mainstream conservative? Certainly not. I would be incredibly unhappy with having a totally dominant Democratic party (I'd imagine they would be more incompetent than they already are) as there would be no political competition whatsoever. And, I think perfectly reasonable people support Trump as well. The concern starts when people, such as on this forum, start supporting extremists positions that erode the political structure of the country. Like, apparently intelligence agencies are Liberal organizations now? And judges are firmly in the pocket of the Dems? That is some pretty extreme rhetoric that even the mainstream right is at least comfortable with. I very much dislike the extremists that I view as yanking the Republican party closer to the Alex Jones camp of "politics".

But no, I don't want the Republican party to just go away, I would much rather they be stronger and saner rather than just cave to the personality cult of Trump. And I still have friends who are Republican and even a few who are vocal supporters of Trump, which we argue about plenty.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Well, then, apparently you're in the minority though. Leftists, especially white liberals, seem to be getting more and more intolerant of people with different beliefs than their own. Where does it stop? Secession? Civil war? Genocide?

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

I don't think the stats you provided necessarily demonstrate such extreme beliefs. I doubt most on the Left actively desire a civil war or a genocide, though those on the Left that I know are incredibly suspect of avid Trump supporters. And, I must admit, I am suspicious of several people on this board and what exactly they want politically. Regardless, I think the majority on both sides are not in favor of violence, but I worry about extremist rhetoric and where it may lead. Currently, I am not particularly worried about the the far political left as they don't really have the position of enacting extremists policies.

Are you joking? I really can't tell.

It kind of reminds me of when the Dixie Chicks said they were ashamed of George (W) Bush and those on the Right (Laura Ingraham) pounced on them and told them to "shut up and sing". Please, the Right is not a bastion of free speech.
    I said no. How is it a free speech issue?

But eventually, the more people segregate, the more they'll view each other as "foreign" and worthy of going to war against. It might not be today, but give it 50 or 200 years.

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    I didn't respond because I am pretty sure you are trolling.

But eventually, the more people segregate, the more they'll view each other as "foreign" and worthy of going to war against. It might not be today, but give it 50 or 200 years.
    I agree, I think the separation is incredibly risky. I don't think that is something you can just solely blame on the Left. Have you seen Basil's posts?

How is it not? Tell me, why do you think it's not a free speech issue?

Tolerating something doesn't mean you're not allowed to dislike it.

I didn't respond because I am pretty sure you are trolling.
    Nope. How is it a free speech issue?

Nope. How is it a free speech issue?
    How is a protest with a political statement a free speech issue?

So you agree that we shouldn't keep different people away from us. Like Muslims.

So you think people who disagree with your politics are all just awful, "hateful" people who should be shunned or worse?
    Sorry, but I won't fight for your right to call people sand or any other insults or slurs. I won't tolerate it either. That's not just disagreeing with one's politics, it's a personal attack against an individual or a whole group of individuals, and you should always expect retaliation.
    Last edited by Bethrezen; September 12, 2018 at 01:24 AM.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Demanding liberals tolerate hate and awfulness is the conservative hot-take we didn't really need, but was pretty much inevitable by this point.
    What exactly are ‘they’ demanding ‘liberals’ tolerate?

Considering Nazism is an ideology inherently opposed to free speech, there's an argument to be made there.

So how do we define who is a Nazi?

also you do realise what you just said is a paradox right

It was Carey's choice. He didn't force Bannon to not appear.
    He and a number of other celebs kinda did actually. It’s this intolerance that is concerning. https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/...stival-dropped

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Are you comparing McCarthism with temporary not allowing a person to use a social network for breaking their rules?
    The Google memo fiasco sure was an example of McCarthyism. James Damore wrote an open memo responding to a question of why there weren’t enough women at Google, saying that’s because women pursue jobs in different fields. He also talked about how to get more women into tech, and even said diversity would be good for google!

So: he supported diversity, he supported women in tech, said how to encourage more women in tech, but he implied women pursue different careers to men, and therefore it was an ‘anti-diversity memo’ according CNN. Which is false.

James Damore was subsequently fired from his job, the PC ideological echo-chamber was maintained, and their happiness was secured.

This is what political correctness is, ignoring something that might be factually true as something offensive and hateful. Examples of this is police ignoring mass rape and FGM because tackling might be seen as racist.

I suppose you could say the memo was full of:

hate and awfulness
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethrezen View Post
    Sorry, but I won't fight for your right to call people sand or any other insults or slurs. I won't tolerate it either.
    That’s not what this is about. Stop the hyperbole please.

Currently, I am not particularly worried about the the far political left as they don't really have the position of enacting extremists policies.
    Serious? You should be

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34245371
    His reward has been to get what is generally regarded as the second most important role in a political party - in charge of economic policy and taking on Chancellor George Osborne.

It is all a big change from 2007 when
    our profile of him began: "Left-wing leadership candidate John McDonnell is the sort of MP who used to give Labour leaders a double dose of the jitters. However, that was back in the 1980s and early 1990s when the hard left, particularly the Militant tendency, were a real force in the Labour movement."

The man now in charge of Labour's economic strategy is certainly not one to have minced his words over the years.

His Who's Who entry talks of "generally fermenting the overthrow of capitalism", and as BBC business editor Kamal Ahmed notes, he has argued in the past for the nationalisation of the UK's banking system, a rapid expansion of public ownership and a new 60% tax rate for earnings over £100,000.

in
    2003 he told a gathering to commemorate the IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands: "It's about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table."

In 2010 McDonnell had to apologise for saying during a radio warm-up that if he could go back in time he would "assassinate Thatcher" - with Jeremy Corbyn taking part in the debate about the comments on the Daily Politics:

A year earlier he was suspended from the House of Commons for five days after grabbing the mace - the ornamental club which represents the royal authority of Parliament - during angry exchanges over Gordon Brown's Labour government's decision to approve a third runway at Heathrow.
    Last edited by Aexodus; September 12, 2018 at 02:50 AM.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

In my experience any extremist is inherently intolerant be they extreme left or extreme right

I agree, we shouldn't tolerate the liberal hatred against white people, males, heterosexuals, Western cultures, capitalism, freedom of speech, freedom of press, truth. I suggest we split socities, wall you off, no trade, no ambassadors and nuclear weapons aimed at your big cities in case you try something funny.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    I agree, we shouldn't tolerate the liberal hatred against white people, males, heterosexuals, Western cultures, capitalism, freedom of speech, freedom of press, truth. I suggest we split socities, wall you off, no trade, no ambassadors and nuclear weapons aimed at your big cities in case you try something funny.
    Your so-called concern for free speech is undermined by you claming newspapers who oppose Trump are committing treason.

And what's withh the violent power fanataties?
    And @Aexodus there's an argument to be made but I'm not sure I'd make it.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; September 12, 2018 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Name-calling.
    If I had to choose between betraying my friends and betraying my country, I hope I would have the guts to betray my country.

How is a protest with a political statement a free speech issue?
    What you said:
    "Basil doesn't give two craps about free speech; and if the shoe was on the other foot, would undoubtedly think the speech should be prohibited (ask him about the NFL players taking a knee)."
    How is it a free speech issue?

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Are liberals intolerant? Are conservatives able to tolerate criticism? Because I see nothing but stupid complaints about freedom of expression and political correction while exposing your "conservative" speeches with complete freedom. What do you want to say but someone (the leftist elites? The Jews?) do not allow you? What do you want to say (and they do not allow it), for example, in a public social network (twitter, facebook, etc) or in a site like this? It will not be that you simply want to talk without any opposition or criticism?