Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Default Re: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    There’s always a point in saying Idris Elba is awesome.
    Agreed. Also read some fuss about him when there were rumours that he may be the next James Bond. Gave some good lols that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Btw speaking of the Game... Conan reviews the Witcher 3!

MILFGAARD!!
    Yeah watched it long time back. His reviews are always funny as hell.

Anyways, I think some of us are being needlessly aggressive here with each other. Ciri maybe white or Asian in the end but hardcore fans want what they perceive as "white" from the books\games and it doesn't makes them racist imo. Similarly, they should also see the other side and try to see that an some Western actress of Asian descent can also deliver the demanding role well in the end.

Also, found this from the showmaker:
    Last edited by Ishan; September 13, 2018 at 06:42 AM.

Here is the thing, now that Henry Cavill is in the role of Geralt ( and and allegedly out of Superman), Ciri would need to look similar to Geralt as looks is concerned, Its one of the things in the witcher series, were they also are tied together by prophecy, its one of the main focal points in the books actually.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Maybe a future series of Game of Thrones can have the Lannisters be black

Just cause stuff are fictional doesn't always mean there is so much room for casting choices. Achilles and half of the Bbctroy cast comes to mind ^_^
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    actually, you are making my argument for me, all the time

look up a definition of racism, this whole thread has become a showcase. racially oriented ideology indeed.
    Trying to act smug and intentionally misinterpreting others' posts without presenting any argument yourself is nothing but an emotional whinning.

Cry harder, Serena.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Jesus people. Just read what Ishan posted. The writer of the show has blatantly stated that she won't be going through the book and portraying people as different skin colours just for fun and anything she does do has the blessing of the author.
    Are you all going to tell me you all know the lore better than the author?

Stop throwing your tantrums and chill out.

Anyway I hope the show has a high enough budget to look good and does well enough to keep going. Marco Polo is probably the Netflix series closest in scale (since their other large budget series' tend to take place in the present. So less money is spent on scenery and costuming) and that didn't do well enough to warrant a third season. WHICH ANNOYED ME BECAUSE IT WAS BRILLIANT!

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade_Rory View Post
    Jesus people. Just read what Ishan posted. The writer of the show has blatantly stated that she won't be going through the book and portraying people as different skin colours just for fun and anything she does do has the blessing of the author.
    Are you all going to tell me you all know the lore better than the author?

Stop throwing your tantrums and chill out.

Anyway I hope the show has a high enough budget to look good and does well enough to keep going. Marco Polo is probably the Netflix series closest in scale (since their other large budget series' tend to take place in the present. So less money is spent on scenery and costuming) and that didn't do well enough to warrant a third season. WHICH ANNOYED ME BECAUSE IT WAS BRILLIANT!
    this. this whole nonsense is a non-issue, and was started, need i remind everyone, by someone making this about race in the second post, in the first reply.

why a non-issue? as far as we know, almost everyone in the (main)cast will be white, and the one known exception (who isnt entirely human) may be "white-passing" (pretty racist term btw, sry).

so, please lets not pretend "hardcore fan" is a valid reason to freak out. i am a hardcore fan of ASoIaF, but i didnt lose my when some of the whitest characters were cast as POC.

and lets not forget this isnt a videogame adaptation, either. the authors involvement in the game was exactly none.

why a non-issue? as far as we know, almost everyone in the (main)cast will be white, and the one known exception (who isnt entirely human) may be "white-passing" (pretty racist term btw, sry).
    Ciri is probably the only character in the witcher universe that shouldn't be changed the most, and there is plot and frame setting reasons for this. Unless you want to re-frame the world of the witcher.

so, please lets not pretend "hardcore fan" is a valid reason to freak out
    It is a valid reason to be upset and that is all, nothing more than that. But people do tend to freak out when people state this opinion.

and lets not forget this isnt a videogame adaptation, either. the authors involvement in the game was exactly none
    Its exactly none in the TV series as well. They ( Netflix) did what any other studio would do and what CD POJECKT RED did when they started their development and production of his franchise. Meet with the author, and talked about it and that was it.
    Same way Abrams and Disney did with George Lucas. Is merely a courtesy really.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 13, 2018 at 01:52 PM.

Ciri is probably the only character in the witcher universe that shouldn't be changed the most, and there is plot and frame setting reasons for this. Unless you want to re-frame the world of the witcher.
    and i forgot to add: you havent even seen a single picture of her yet. but oc its necessary to complain about race, because of course it is

check out rory's earlier post, not white enough? gonna measure the skull first?

and i forgot to add: you havent even seen a single picture of her yet. but oc its necessary to complain about race, because of course it is

check out rory's earlier post, not white enough? gonna measure the skull first?
    I stated multiple times we dont know a thing yet, and that we should wait and see, that all this controversy in the internet is based on that casting call, which could well be bogus. Its the internet being internet.. you should see how people are reacting now to news of a possible black Superman( Michel B Jordan i think)

And im well aware what Lauren as written. Before that casting call came to the surface i might add.

And honestly it isn't complain about race. Its complain about forced diversity, that seems upset people, and how often that ends up working against films and TV series etc.

Also You dont need to be rude, and assume that everyone who is upset about this is Calvin Candie.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 13, 2018 at 02:28 PM.

I stated multiple times we dont know a thing yet, and that we should wait and see, that all this controversy in the internet is based on that casting call, which could well be bogus. Its the internet being internet.. you should see how people are reacting now to news of a possible black Superman( Michel B Jordan i think)

And im well aware what Lauren as written. Before that casting call came to the surface i might add.

And honestly it isn't complain about race. Its complain about forced diversity, that seems upset people, and how often that ends up working against films and TV series etc.

Also You dont need to be rude, and assume that everyone who is upset about this is Calvin Candie.
    thats kinda funny. if, say, feminists are "accused" of being feminists, they dont throw a tantrum. you dont wanna be called out, dont start with nonsense like "forced diversity". you know what people are upset about? diversity. and then some nifty ideologue added the "forced" part. a lot of people are "ok" that homosexuals exists, as long as they stay invisible. notice the common thread here?

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

i am a hardcore fan of ASoIaF, but i didnt lose my when some of the whitest characters were cast as POC.
    Ok, but those were very minor characters
    Not really on the level of black Achilles etc. Which is why i mentioned a possible Black Lannister protagonists. Or black Stark protagonists. Or black Danyeris
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Ok, but those were very minor characters
    Not really on the level of black Achilles etc. Which is why i mentioned a possible Black Lannister protagonists. Or black Stark protagonists. Or black Danyeris
    since when are minor details not something fans obsess about? but you may have a point here, i can see why POC would be less threatening as long as they are unimportant.

no black lannisters or starks indeed. since it never happend, and never would have, this is a bit like worrying that a trans-woman would rape someone in a ladies room. or that aliens violate our parking spaces. thats why i called casting concerns a non-issue. but i guess even elves have to be aryans:

She is the Elder Blood, Hen Ichaer. The blood of elves.

but im sure they would cast someone in total disregard of source material. wait, i dont. because i dont believe in anti-white conspiracy theories.

thats kinda funny. if, say, feminists are "accused" of being feminists, they dont throw a tantrum. you dont wanna be called out, dont start with nonsense like "forced diversity". you know what people are upset about? diversity. and then some nifty ideologue added the "forced" part. a lot of people are "ok" that homosexuals exists, as long as they stay invisible. notice the common thread here?
    That is your opinion, i dont see it that way.

but im sure they would cast someone in total disregard of source material. wait, i dont. because i dont believe in anti-white conspiracy theories.
    But you sure seem to believe that everyone else has a problem with race, just because they dont agree with race swapping certain characters, out of the batt.

Or black Danyeris
    Black Ciri in a nutshell.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 13, 2018 at 03:28 PM.

well, lacking any argument, thats indeed just your opinion, dude. but im happy we could at least clear that up.

The truth is not everyone who is upset by this is necessarily a racist as you are constantly implying.

The truth is not everyone who is upset by this is necessarily a racist as you are constantly implying.
    nope, thats just another opinion. how would you call "being upset because a single character isnt white?". using a term like "forced diversity"?

intention means squat if you ignore the outcome. i dont claim everyone using such arguments is a white supremacist. it is the outcome of a mainstream duped by white supremacists.

no one wants to hear they have been played. thats too bad, but buying into racist nonsense means you end up endorsing it, knowingly or not. "forced diversity" is an expression of unwillingness to accept both the existence, and more importantly, visibility of marginalised groups.

racism is systemic, its not just personal preference.

and diversity exists, it does not have to be forced, though one can faciliate the seeming absence of diversity. if you fall on your ass, is that forced gravity, or just gravity?
    Last edited by HannibalExMachina; September 13, 2018 at 04:01 PM.

So, If it isn't racism, then it is dumbness, brilliant.

Victimization can also be systemic btw.

it is forced diversity, when you change something so that it can fit, in a specific scheme for pandering or marketing purposes etc, when diversity exists naturally, it is when truly exists, and thus is when it isn't forced. I think it is simple enough concept.
    And you have tons of cases like this.

Honestly i dont see a problem with diversity or the lack of it in Films or TV series, or video games ( yes it happens too with video games, people complaining about kingdom come deliverance not having diversity for example...)
    It was never a thing, when i watched films and such, no matter the origin or composition of them, at least for me.

Fandom complaining about changes of their dear franchises, is understandable and expectable.

I dont think it is Ok, to change certain characters like that, but that is just me. A White Black panther? a White Luke cage? a White Major Mokoto Kusanagi...
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 13, 2018 at 06:22 PM.

"sucessful racism" is predicated on ignorance, if you want to be so reductive. its still racism though.

Victimization means "making someone a victim", so you are quite correct.

and yes, diversity can be made a commodity, like everything else. blame capitalism.

the demand for it is, however, not created by capitalism, just exploited.

i am quite aware that you dont see the problem, even after i have outlined it, so ill just not waste my time anymore. good for you it was never an issue, i dare assume you have never been on the wrong end of it.

Fandom complaining about changes of their dear franchises, is understandable and expectable. except when it is used as an excuse to justify racial predjudice, because nothing justifies that.

i always give the benefit of doubt in any discussion, by assuming the ability and interest in having an exchange of arguments. but since you chose to ignore the underlying problems presented, and focus on simply restating your opinions, i dont see why benefit of doubt should apply any further. thus, goodbye!
    Last edited by HannibalExMachina; September 13, 2018 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    Yup, I realized your position was senseless from the beginning.
    You didn't realize anything. You're trying to get the last word in, as you always do.

You questioned if there was any Asian actors or actresses in Western cinema capturing Western culture, which implied that you were arguing based on race.
    Except I didn't. I specifically mentioned Hong Kong and Korean film as well as mentioning Asian Americans in a subsequent post. It didn't imply anything, you saw something you wanted to see instead of what was actually written.

Apparently I was wrong and what you were arguing about was really pointless. For you, it can be Asian by race, but not by nationality...
    Except it's not. Asian actors like Angelababy and Bingbing Fan are ieither incapable of unwilling of acting a normal role in Hollywood. hence why they are repeatedly given roles that marks them as "foreign". Like a pilot from the China or an X-men with esoteric powers who has next to no lines. Casting someone from Hong Kong, Korea, or Japan as Cirilla would be beyond idiotic. Not only because the subject matter is about European fantasy, which demands understanding of Western culture and mastery of English, but because there are dozens of other proven talented Asian actresses who fulfill that criteria.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

If you have a problem that a historically white character is a different race in a serious retelling (ie not something like Hamilton) then that's fair enough.

If you have a problem that a fictional character from a real civilization (Achillies, James Bond, Sherlock Holmes, etc) is a different race, you're probably oversensitive and you're also gonna get me to wonder what your opinion on things like Exodus: Gods and Kings and Ghost in the Shell is, and whether it matches your current vocal outrage about this situation.

But when you're outraged about that a fictional character from a fictional race might have a different skin color than yours, I'm gonna give you a serious side eye.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince